Suggested Anime to Stream  

5 members have voted

1. 1. Out of finished anime?

• Chuunibyou demo Koi ga Shitai!
    • Hataraku Maou-sama!
    • Heartcatch Precure!
    • Kekkai Sensen
    • Kono Subarashii Sekai ni Shukufuku wo!
    • Sankarea
    • To Aru Kagaku no Railgun (both seasons)
  2. 2. Second Choice

• Chuunibyou demo Koi ga Shitai!
    • Hataraku Maou-sama!
    • Heartcatch Precure!
    • Kekkai Sensen
    • Kono Subarashii Sekai ni Shukufuku wo!
    • Sankarea
    • To Aru Kagaku no Railgun (both seasons)
  3. 3. Out of summer anime (we might try some out on another day)?

• Amanchu!
    • B-Project: Kodou*Ambitious
    • Battery
    • Fukigen na Mononokean
    • Handa-kun
    • Love Live! Sunshine!!
    • Mob Psycho 100
    • New Game!
    • Qualidea Code
    • Regalia: The Three Sacred Stars
    • Rewrite
    • Saiki Kusuo no Ψ Nan
    • Taboo Tattoo
    • Time Travel Girl

And with today outof the way, I'm no longer gonna be attending the streams (atleast regularly)

While Code Geass is fun to watch, especially since some are also viewing it for the first time, and I'm beginning to like Mushishi, the time just doesnt work for me since the start time translates to about 3:30 AM.

Might drop in during weekends every now and then, especially once school starts back up in September since by then it's entirely outof the question for me to stay up that late during regular week days.

• Replies 281
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well to be fair I wasnt in the club at the time it was suggested, and not sure who else here is from Europe (and wanna attend =P) so it's understandable you didnt XD

Unless the others are ok with it, I'm fine with keeping the time the way it is (I just wont attend), since the only way to fit for me, especially on regular weekdays, is make it at least 4-5 hours earlier (so, roughly 4:30-5:30pm) which probably is even more unfitting for US people.

Except it's not. It's so popular and a huge critical success. It's gotten tons of awards, too. You can say you don't like it, that's fine, but calling it shitty just isn't accurate.

It's a fun watch but... There are a lot of things wrong with it. Here's a decent rant on it: http://myanimelist.net/blog.php?eid=52936 Though, the rant does nitpick some things stupidly.

though, I don't think Dae was exactly talking about its writing when calling it shitty

you sick fucks i want in

mebbe

Yeah I just could never go that far. You lose more and more of my respect the more you call something shitty (not like it matters on a children's card game forum anyway). I don't feel like even things that are not as popular are really that bad either, most of them, it's just down to your tastes. And no matter how wide it can get, nobody has shitty tastes. You'd have to literally be SAO or something for me to start feeling that way, and even then, there are still literally 2 things I like about that.

I am by and far way too far on the other side dammit. 

it's only okay when i call things shitty because i dont usually mean it

except when i do

Well it's not perfect or anything, there's just a difference between not liking something and something being bad. The two aren't mutually inclusive.

yes just because people like or don't like things does not mean it is good or bad.

It's so popular and a huge critical success. It's gotten tons of awards, too. calling it shitty just isn't accurate.

yes i agree people liking it means it isn't shi- wai what happened to your argument?

sillygoose

I'm not exactly sure how I want to word this and I might ramble for a bit (I'm basically typing out a new section as I think of what to say further so it could jump around a bit, like I've just realized a new train of thought I want to go down), and I could be completely off base (I always assume that's a possibility, I'm not the best at arguments), but here we go.

There's a difference. Not liking something doesn't necessarily make it bad, and liking something doesn't necessarily make it good. But when it comes to actual judgement, such as things like award ceremonies for media, people have to actually look at the components of something and judge to pick a winner. You could construe that to mean that it's only considered good since people like it. Popularity, or lack thereof, doesn't make something good or bad, but there has to be sort of a base level of judgement for things to be decided one way or the other (like how SAO is really popular, but there are tons of people that argue that it's not a good series despite its popularity). It's not like something can be decided as generally good or bad without enough exposure and people judging. Take Code Geass getting a bunch of awards and selling very well, I'd say that's sort of like a side effect of being good. There just needed to be enough recognition of that.

I mean, there are people whose job is to critique things and judge things in media, and if it were just a matter of personal preference their probably wouldn't be those jobs. Everything like that has elements such as story, characters, how well it's written, etc. that are looked at and decided to be good or not. And one could say that that decision is merely if people like it or not, but I feel like it's different than that.

So I was saying just because Dae said Code Geass was shitty doesn't make it shitty, and compared it to the multitude of judgements made on it that decided it was generally good.

Ok, so it's sort of like this: Something being decided whether it's good or not is dependent on whether people like or dislike something, I'll admit that. But whether people like or dislike something is based on whether it actually is good or not. That sort of seems like a weird nonsensical loop, I realize, and it makes it hard to say if something is objectively good or not since it relies on people's decisions, but it's not like we have any other option until we can somehow build robots with no bias to judge the base quality of something and give an outcome. People need to judge things for things to be determined good or not.

And I guess that sort of makes it sound like a popularity contest or something, and those can go wrong. Maybe it's not correct to compare media to politics in this way, but like, America's had bad presidents, and those are voted on by people who judge whether a candidate is good or not. But like I said, that's probably not a fair comparison since judging possible presidential candidates who haven't actually been in office yet isn't really the same as meticulously analyzing components of a movie that's been out for awhile. 

But since the general public's view on something is based on how people judge something (whether it's good or bad at a base level), it's not incorrect to think things can be labeled wrong. Maybe everyone who bought Code Geass or the people who gave it those awards are wrong and it actually is a shitty series. Note that I'm not saying it being popular is wrong, as things can still be popular and generally considered bad, but that the side effects (high sales and awards) of the "good" judgement would be incorrect if it actually is bad and most of us just haven't realized it.

Things can change over time, too. Say there's a video game that, for whatever reason, let's say lack of advertisement, when it came out was not popular, but by those who played it it was highly rated and it becomes a cult classic. Cut ahead where it's eventually gained some recognition, and people generally consider it a good game. But it's not like it was a bad game in the past, there just wasn't enough judgement for the general public to see that it was good.

That probably made no sense, I think I'm just gonna stop now whether I'm ahead or behind, a lot of that was thinking of examples and various wordings to try and get my point across. I basically wrote out all of my thought process as I was thinking it and didn't refine it. It's past 2AM, I don't know if that has anything to do with it, probably not, but I'm just saying it's possibly affecting how this post has gone.

funk, that's really long now that I'm seeing it as a full post.

if i may be more concise while also making my post longer than it needs to be, shradow

people have opinions on pieces of media and that is fine

as long as people are allowed to have those opinions on those mediums without their opinions, specifically, being attacked, then that is fine

however, it is likely that a large amount of people will have the same opinion on a piece of media, which is what we call a consensus

but just because there IS a consensus, does not make thoughts disagreeing with the consensus any less correct.

because art is all about interpretation, no opinion is wrong unless it is a comment that is factually inaccurate, even if it is as simple as calling something you like sheet

because calling something you like sheet is not saying you are sheet for liking it.

it's nothing personal.

it's an opinion.

an opinion on a piece of media

and having an opinion on a piece of media is fine.

I stated that I hated the art style, and that turns me off from shows. I watch things because I get engrossed in the world that is built. If I can't appreciate that world because of what I do not like, then I cannot appreciate it like some. I think the story is great, and I have watched Code Geass twice. I just can't get passed the art style because of the disproportions of characters, which is why Code Geass sucks to me. I don't give a sheet about whether it was popularized or not, as that has no relevance to my claim and opinion.

Code Geass is sheet. That is plain and simple. To me, it is sheet.

Also, Nunnally (not lulu), has the most annoying voice in the entire dub history. funking HELL, WHAT IS WRONG WITH HER VOICE AND WHY DOES IT NEED TO BE SO ANNOYING?

Kallen is a pretty adept characters, one of the best written ones in the show.

I'm pretty sure that's different from what I wanted to say, but I agree with you on it since I think you're right regardless, Agro.

Yeah, I don't like Nunnaly's voice either. But guys like JYB, Crispin Freeman, Liam O'brien, Jamieson Price, and Steve Blum are all fantastic at their job so I deal with her voice.

I'm pretty sure that's different from what I wanted to say, but I agree with you on it since I think you're right regardless, Agro.

AND ONCE AGAIN THIS:

shradow already agrees with me on everything

he just doesn't know it yet

holds true

Okay, can we, like, not do this?

Yes, obviously opinions are subjective. That's what opinions are. They're subjective. They're literally based off ONE perspective. Even a collective opinion on one thing isn't completely justified, because everyone's opinion is different. Are we not aware that even a fanbase is in disagreement with one another? That confirms that fact. Even the same fanbase can be at war with each other, and despite any margin of opinion, it's stupid.

Any argument between two parties of opinions is the most retarded thing ever. It's literally the epitome of blind and deaf argument; no one's willing to see or hear anything the opposing party's trying to say, despite everything they're willing to say is true to some degree. If I can portray this in some scenario, it'd be like two people arguing through a brick wall and someone reached through it and tried to forced the other through it by force, and the process would not only cause pain for both parties but break the wall in the process, which would cost both a bundle.

Moral of the story: If you break a wall that's not meant to be broken, there's a price to pay for all who are responsible.

I'm fine with Clamp but I do seem to have more anime I don't like the art style of than most people, so I understand the feeling. Well maybe I should say more kinds of art styles, not amount of anime. Since people can dislike a lot more anime just by not liking moe style, but I can't get past Hiromu Arakawa & KLK like things too much.

Praise to Agro and Thar I'm a dumbass though. Mostly because I could never find enough words to say those things even though I pretty much agree.

Since it's been brought up, I really wonder what went behind the decision making process for appointing CLAMP as the character designers. It's a Sunrise mecha show, and they give the character designing to a group of artists who primarily deal with shoujo...and what we get is bishe noodle people. I don't particularly mind but I'm sure Dae is not the only person on the planet to be turned off by CG's artstyle.

Archived