Pokemon Megas You Want To See

Face McShooty

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hydreigon can struggle a lot still in UU, honestly. And the thing with BL is that, while it's right outside OU, that means it's not quite strong enough to be a main OU Pokemon, but also is locked from UU. Basically it's a Pokemon that's stuck in a very small niche.

Plus, beyond the four you listed, there's more Megas that mess with the idea that "It's given to things to make them relevant." such as Sableye, which was at the time still used a lot, and Alakazam which was a threat for...ever. Also Slowbro, Scisor, and Heracross which the normal form is used often still in high tier.

Not saying you're wrong or anything but just putting out there that there's a chance. Especially given the popularity of the two and the fact that Gen five doesn't have many reps. :)

Smogon has Hydreigon listed as an S tier threat. You are GREATLY underselling how good it is. Vol doesn't have a home, this is true. However, I was speaking purely on power level and in that regard it clearly does not need it.

I know others exist that didn't need it. I was just giving examples. Though it seems SUPER unfair for you to say Vol and Hydrei need a Mega since they are ONLY UU when you site Sableye and Heracross as not having needed one when both were UU in both Gen 5 and both of their normal forms still being there. Those 4 pokemon all still see a lot of play. IMO anything in UU and up doesn't especially need a Mega.

I freely admit they could get one. However, I'm basing it on general need and the pattern they've shown so far which suggests Vol and Hydrei and Gen 5 mon in general aren't likely to get Megas. Though popularity IS a factor too, so if they do get one I wouldn't be that surprised. Not to mention Hydrei does have the pseudo-legendary thing going for it.

Aegislash

....................why? He is one of the most powerful pokemon ever made. Aegis does NOT need a mega.

Smogon has Hydreigon listed as an S tier threat. You are GREATLY underselling how good it is. Vol doesn't have a home, this is true. However, I was speaking purely on power level and in that regard it clearly does not need it.

I know others exist that didn't need it. I was just giving examples. Though it seems SUPER unfair for you to say Vol and Hydrei need a Mega since they are ONLY UU when you site Sableye and Heracross as not having needed one when both were UU in both Gen 5 and both of their normal forms still being there. Those 4 pokemon all still see a lot of play. IMO anything in UU and up doesn't especially need a Mega.

I freely admit they could get one. However, I'm basing it on general need and the pattern they've shown so far which suggests Vol and Hydrei and Gen 5 mon in general aren't likely to get Megas. Though popularity IS a factor too, so if they do get one I wouldn't be that surprised. Not to mention Hydrei does have the pseudo-legendary thing going for it.

idk what they have listed but from playing many games I can tell you Hydreigon can struggle against a lot of things.

Same for Volc.

And I'm not saying that, read my earlier posts. I'm basing off of

1.) Popular

2.) Dropped from the level they used to be

I'm pretty sure both Sableye and Heracross were OU for a long time.

I don't understand where this "pattern" comes from. They've done Gen 1, 3, and not 5. Why would "They didn't give 5 Megas" be a reason they wouldn't, I'd think it'd be more likely, in that case.

The pattern and function I've seen were popular Pokemon and psuedo legends AND those who needed it to get used. Both of those are patterns, like almost half and half between those who needed and those who are popular.

Let's make a list

Those that needed it: Kangaskhan, Pinsir, Aerodactyl (?), Amphoros, Mawile, Aggron, Medicham, Manectric, Bannette, Abomasnow, Beedrill, Pidgeot, Steelix, Sharpedo (?), Camperupt, Altaria, Glalie, Audino

Popular and/or strong: Alakazam, Gengar, Gyarados, Mewtwo, Scisor, Heracross, Tyranitar, Blaziken, Gardevoir (?), Garchomp, Lucario, Salamence, Metagross, Latias, Latios, Rayquaza, Diancie (?)

Both: Charizard, Blastoise (?), Venusaur, Houndoom, Absol, Slowbro (?), Sceptile, Swampert, Sableye, Lopunny (?), Gallade,

Pangoro. Pangoro pangoro pangoro.

Pangoro's Att is renowned for being ridiculously high. Even though its typing is easily checked by fairies, it has the capability to maul those fairies with a Gunk Shot. Alternatively, it is the only pokemon to know Parting Shot, which is quite powerful against many offensive pokemon who rely on brute force, since it allows pangoro to switch out quickly and lower their attacking stats.

Pangoro's Mega Evolution should feature either (or both)

Mega Pangoro-Pangoronite

Type: Fighting or Dark (maybe not both)

Ability: Sheer Force, Tough Claws, or Prankster

Base Stat changes: Hp +25 Att +25 Def +25 SpD +37 Spe -12

idk what they have listed but from playing many games I can tell you Hydreigon can struggle against a lot of things.

Same for Volc.

And I'm not saying that, read my earlier posts. I'm basing off of

1.) Popular

2.) Dropped from the level they used to be

I trust smogon's ability to assess a Pokemon. Hydreigon is listed as an S tier threat and its usage statistic in UU of December was 7th over all. I don't know why your having trouble with it, but its still one of the best pokemon in the game.

I'm pretty sure both Sableye and Heracross were OU for a long time.

Sableye was trash until Gen 5. In Gen 5 it might have been OU at a point, but Smogon has it as UU currently. Heracross was OU in Gens 2 and 3, BL in 4, and UU is 5. Both are currently UU in their normal forms now. To say neither needed a Mega when they are both as good as Hydrei and Vol currently are seems silly.

I don't understand where this "pattern" comes from. They've done Gen 1, 3, and not 5. Why would "They didn't give 5 Megas" be a reason they wouldn't, I'd think it'd be more likely, in that case.

The pattern is that the Megas mostly come from the older Gens, mostly Gen 3. Of the 46 Pokemon that can Mega Evolve, 20 are from Gen 3. Gen 3 Pokemon are the ones most in need of getting a power boost that an evo would bring since they most didn't get the updates Gen 1 and 2 got with Gen 4 so they make the most sense. If they wanted to give Megas to Gen 5 Pokemon they very easily could have, waiting suggests to me not that they want dump them all at once, but that they just aren't that interested in giving Megas to Gen 5 Pokemon.

The pattern and function I've seen were popular Pokemon and psuedo legends AND those who needed it to get used. Both of those are patterns, like almost half and half between those who needed and those who are popular.

Let's make a list

Those that needed it: Kangaskhan, Pinsir, Aerodactyl (?), Amphoros, Mawile, Aggron, Medicham, Manectric, Bannette, Abomasnow, Beedrill, Pidgeot, Steelix, Sharpedo (?), Camperupt, Altaria, Glalie, Audino

Popular and/or strong: Alakazam, Gengar, Gyarados, Mewtwo, Scisor, Heracross, Tyranitar, Blaziken, Gardevoir (?), Garchomp, Lucario, Salamence, Metagross, Latias, Latios, Rayquaza, Diancie (?)

Both: Charizard, Blastoise (?), Venusaur, Houndoom, Absol, Slowbro (?), Sceptile, Swampert, Sableye, Lopunny (?), Gallade,

Its hard to argue with "what needs it". Again, you say Sable and Hera didn't need it when they were in UU Gen 5 but Hydrei and Vol need it while being UU or better. As such, I'm just going to use their Gen 5 tier and go form their.

Uber: Blaziken, Mewtwo, Rayquaza

OU: Alakazam, Garchomp, Gengar, Gyarados, Latias, Latios, Lucario, Metagross, Salamence, Scizor, Tyranitar, Venusaur

UU: Abomasnow (Gen 4 BL), Blastoise (Gen 4 UU), Heracross (Gen 4 BL), Houndoom (Gen 4 UU), Sableye (Gen 4 NU), Sharpedo (Gen 4 NU), Slowbro (Gen 4 UU), Swampert (Gen 4 OU)

RU: Absol, Aerodactyl, Aggron, Gallade, Manectric, Medicham, Sceptile, Steelix

NU: Altaria, Ampharos, Audino, Bannette, Beedrill, Camerupt, Charizard, Gardevoir, Glalie, Kangaskhan , Lopunny, Mawile, Pidgeot, Pinsir

Since I can't base Diancie on a Gen 5 tier, I'll say she is currently tiered in RU. So this bring the total to a literal split with UU and up and RU and down. However, your calling for Hydreigon to get one while in UU suggests UU pokemon could be in need of one, as such, OU and up is only about 1/3 of the pokemon.

Personally, when I look for what pokemon needs a Mega its a both a popular Pokemon that needs it and then a Pokemon that needs it. Just the popular ones, the Gengars, Scizors, and Garchomps, those are last in line. And again, I NEVER SAID JUST BEING POPULAR wouldn't get you a Mega, its just of the factors that get you one its the least important.

I will make one final comment that some of the Mega choices are forced too. Like, if you give a starter a Mega form, you need to give one to them all. If you give Gardevoir a Mega, Gallade needs one too. Same with version exclusives like Mawile and Sableye. Its why Butterfree and Frosslass seem like SUPER safe bets to get one in Z.

Final, final note. Rayquaza isn't a Mega. It doesn't use a hold item and doesn't take your Mega Slot. Its called one, sure but mechanically it plays like the Primals on drugs.

Hopefully this clears up some confusion.

The issue is I'm not having trouble with Hydreigon.

I stated Hera and Sable were strong Pokemon. Meaning that strong Pokemon can get Megas too.

And yes, they just did older gens mostly...But again that just means that if they want to do more they'd logically spread it to other gens. They've only had two games with Megas, and two gens where most of the megas come from, do you get where I'm heading there?

I never said that Hyde and Volc needed it. I said that they are popular Pokemon who dropped in usage recently.

It doesn't matter what you personally look for though. It's the patterns. And I don't understand "just the popular ones" are the last in line when about half the Pokemon listed are ones that got it through popularity and even more were also popular Pokemon who happened to need it.

In addition, my point:

2 pseudo-Legendary Pokémon receive Mega Evolutions at once:

X & Y got Garchomp and Tyranitar.

ORAS got Metagross and Salamence.

It stands to reason that, if Z gave out any pseudo-Legendary Megas, it would happen in a pair. Personally, I'm hoping for Dragonite and Haxorus, but Goodra and Hydreigon are about equally as likely to receive them.

In addition, a popular Pokémon from a certain generation will receive a conspicuously late Mega just before a new batch gets unveiled-

Mega Gardevoir was late to the party, and set the "Hoenn confirmed" people ablaze. What news did we get a week or so later? ORAS.

Mega Slowbro was the last Mega to be released, nearly 2 weeks after the batch announcement for the others in ORAS. What was our next big news? Red and Blue for 3DS.

There is a pattern.

Hopefully this clears up some confusion.

The issue is I'm not having trouble with Hydreigon.

I stated Hera and Sable were strong Pokemon. Meaning that strong Pokemon can get Megas too.

And yes, they just did older gens mostly...But again that just means that if they want to do more they'd logically spread it to other gens. They've only had two games with Megas, and two gens where most of the megas come from, do you get where I'm heading there?

I never said that Hyde and Volc needed it. I said that they are popular Pokemon who dropped in usage recently.

It doesn't matter what you personally look for though. It's the patterns. And I don't understand "just the popular ones" are the last in line when about half the Pokemon listed are ones that got it through popularity and even more were also popular Pokemon who happened to need it.

I don't see anything in the quote...... :/

The difference between Megas in XY for Gen 1 and 3 is negligible imo. Its 10 vs. 8 with Gen 3 missing two starters. ORAS certainly has the ALL THE GEN 3 MON MEGA EVOLVE but the same isn't true of XY for Gen 1. So its really reaching to say it means Z will be Gen 5. The only constant we've gotten between the two is that Gen 3 REALLY needed Megas with almost half being from there and half of those really need of one. This seems inline with my "give them to the ones that need it most thinking".

The pseudo-legendary thing is certainly a pattern. Its why I can buy Hydreigon getting a Mega if they do more Gen 5 Pokemon. Again, I'm stuck on the "how many Gen 5 Pokemon will get one" and I'm on not a lot. Again, if they wanted to give Gen 5 a bunch of Megas, I fully believe we would have gotten more than 1 between the first two batches.

Trying to argue popularity for Pokemon is SUPER hard. Like, using your list I'd put Aggron and Gardevoir under both for example. Also, when I group the pokemon in the over lap I put them with those that need it, not the ones that are popular. Again, thats my bias, I feel its most important to update the pokemon most in need so when I look for pokemon to give Mega evolutions to I look at 1) who really needs it and 2) who is really popular. Flygon is a great example. So, using your list it would be the 15 in just popular vs. the 31 in need it or need it and popular. Thats a third, not one half.

Also, we are both over looking a reason some pokemon get it, story. Sharpedo and Camerupt got it for being the signature Pokemon of a boss. Same would have been true of Metagross if he didn't have other things going for him. This is on top of actual patterns like starters, legendary trios, branch evolutions, or game exclusives.

In addition, my point:

2 pseudo-Legendary Pokémon receive Mega Evolutions at once:

X & Y got Garchomp and Tyranitar.

ORAS got Metagross and Salamence.

It stands to reason that, if Z gave out any pseudo-Legendary Megas, it would happen in a pair. Personally, I'm hoping for Dragonite and Haxorus, but Goodra and Hydreigon are about equally as likely to receive them.

In addition, a popular Pokémon from a certain generation will receive a conspicuously late Mega just before a new batch gets unveiled-

Mega Gardevoir was late to the party, and set the "Hoenn confirmed" people ablaze. What news did we get a week or so later? ORAS.

Mega Slowbro was the last Mega to be released, nearly 2 weeks after the batch announcement for the others in ORAS. What was our next big news? Red and Blue for 3DS.

There is a pattern.

Or your looking for a pattern and seeing one because you want to see one. Like, what do you mean Mega Gardevoir was late to the party? We got word on ORAS months after XY came out. The Megas in ORAS were slowly announced over months. The order was likely based on a number of things with story relevance and popularity being the chief two. Setting up an announcement OVER A YEAR LATER is not a thing anyone would thing of. Not to mention we got a ton of Pokemon new before the VC remakes were announced. Like Shuffle or Mystery Dungeon.

Archived