Pokemon Sun & Moon

Tinkerer

I was certain that I was going to get Moon, but that lion is making a case for me to buy Sun instead. This might be the first time I buy both paired versions, possibly one physical and the other digital.

I loved Rowlet from the moment I saw it. That's definitely what I'm going to pick on my first playthrough of the game and I hope his bowtie stays through his evolutions because I wanna name him Doctor Hoo. I agree with Flame Dragon about the other two starters though, Litten is really basic when compared to the other two and I wasn't a fan of Popplio at first (thought he looked goofy) until I saw some of the art for him. I'll be surprised if Litten doesn't eventually evolve into Fire/Dark and I have a feeling that Popplio will evolve into Water/Fairy, but that's just my guesses.

I love the idea of Hawaii as the base for the region, I'll be excited to explore the region and go to all the over islands that I'm sure they will have. The trailer already made the region looked really beautiful, so I'm excited to see more of it when I get the game.

• Replies 4.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

>Sees trailer

I'm really glad my brother called Moon and left me with Sun xD

So, I'm going to be that one percent and say that I'm still unsure currently about this Gen's starter Pokémon. Don't get me wrong, I like their designs, it's just...I can't base on which starter I want to run at this present time from this. I'm hoping to at least see their final evolution, to see what they'll become and their final typing, before I choose my starter.

As for the game itself, Alola region...if it wasn't obvious that this was based in Hawaii, it's totally obvious now xD...nevertheless, the graphics right now look stunning! Might be even better than X, Y, and ORAS. The region design, is pretty impressive. And I'm assuming (based on the fact that the trailer started off showing off your playable character), that they brought back the X and Y mechanic of customizing your own character. If so....FEDORA HERE I COME!!! XD

Now...the Legendaries. I am in love with the design for the Sun Legendary. Based on it (mainly the eyes), I want to bet its part machine...purely speculation, but it might be Steel/Something. Same with the Bat, which when it did that move looks like a dreamcatcher at first glance...*shrugs*. Then again, people are saying that the Bat = Dark/Fairy and Lion = Thunder/Fire. I dunno...but still...their designs are amazing!

You know, the owl has as an advantage over the others

For the fact you don't need to include an obligatory Flying-Type and/or the Pidgey of the region, in order to use HM02.

Since, you know, the starter can do that for you.

Also-

funk all yall, I'm getting Sun and adding the Liger-mascot to my team and I'm naming it Zero :^)

it may be simple, but that doesn't make it really bad. it's just a basic design. the design is still pretty nice, it's just not very out there in terms of design.

Well, as a Pokemon Dewgong is also pretty terrible. I'm actually surprised we haven't seen him get any kind of evo or the like.

As for design its just TOO basic for me. I know thats Gen 1 as a whole since starting and all that, but I just feel nothing for it.

So, I'm going to be that one percent and say that I'm still unsure currently about this Gen's starter Pokémon. Don't get me wrong, I like their designs, it's just...I can't base on which starter I want to run at this present time from this. I'm hoping to at least see their final evolution, to see what they'll become and their final typing, before I choose my starter.

Thats pretty normal. I assume most people wait for the final form before they really commit to using any of the starters. Hell, Piplup might be one of my favorite base forms and I do like Empoleon, but its the only Gen 4 starter I never used in a play through. 

You know, the owl has as an advantage over the others

For the fact you don't need to include an obligatory Flying-Type and/or the Pidgey of the region, in order to use HM02.

Since, you know, the starter can do that for you.

I'm hopeful they bring back the Eon flute or something similar. Being able to fly without having a user in your party was a thing of dreams.

Well, as a Pokemon Dewgong is also pretty terrible. I'm actually surprised we haven't seen him get any kind of evo or the like.

As for design its just TOO basic for me. I know thats Gen 1 as a whole since starting and all that, but I just feel nothing for it.

yeah, it is pretty weak, i hope it gets a third evolution too, and after that there could definitely be a mega. it's not my favorite pokemon line, but i do like it a bit.

fair enough on the second one, not everything has to appeal to everybody.

Yes! I thought the same...but now I gotta name it something else! Blade Liger...that'll do it! xD

Now watch, it's shiny color is blue.

I'm hopeful they bring back the Eon flute or something similar. Being able to fly without having a user in your party was a thing of dreams.

This is what I'm getting at. You don't need to feel obligated to catch a funking Flying-Type, because your starter(the owl) already is one.

This is what I'm getting at. You don't need to feel obligated to catch a funking Flying-Type, because your starter(the owl) already is one.

But what if it becomes a fairy type instead?

Don't say "because it's a bird" because Florges is basically a bouquet of flowers.

Edit: Went through three pages now

My thoughts.

They are actually really well designed. Like, objectively, really well done. They all have something unique but aren't over the top. (Litten may look bland but, imo, it's less "boring" more "simple". Which can be a really good design still, which I think it is.)

I can't decide which one I like most. Gentleman Owl is cute.

I have a feeling Water type might become Water/Psychic.

Super Saiyan God Saiyan Pyroar is absolutely amazing though. Likely gonna get Sun.

Starting to look like Fairy/Fire and Dark/Water might not be true....It just better not be Dark/Flying again. It already looks kinda like Yveltal.

Region looks gorgeous.

I just got through watching the Japanese commercial and I actually recognize the locations in there (well, obviously because I live Hawai'i). I have never been happier to see a region based on Hawai'i. (I would put something in Hawaiian here, but I'm not fluent in the language)

[Locations appear to be Diamond Head, Waikīkī Beach and the shopping center where card dealership is located. IDK what school though, but likely somewhere in downtown Honolulu or something. Could be on other islands though, but I doubt it.]

But yeah, I'll probably buy Sun since the legendary looks like a badass. Moon, I don't know (maybe I'll get both if my finances hold up). In terms of starters, probably the Water one for now, even though the designs as a whole aren't really appealing. Let's see what else we get, though (but so far, I like)

fair enough on the second one, not everything has to appeal to everybody.

O yea. Everyone has their won aesthetic they prefer. Like I'm not the biggest fan of the Sun mascot but people seem to really like it.

Thing is, Fly isn't the best move. Sure its the best generic physical attack for flying types, but its slow. Also if it ends up being special you aren't going to want it.

Thing is, Fly isn't the best move. Sure its the best generic physical attack for flying types, but its slow. Also if it ends up being special you aren't going to want it.

"Rowlet can attack without making a sound! It flies silently through the skies, drawing near to its opponent without being noticed, and then lashing out with powerful kicks. It can also attack from a distance using the razor-sharp leaves that form part of its feathers."

I will be completely baffled if it's not physical.

Now watch, it's shiny color is blue.

*Fingers crossed* Here's hoping! xD

Super Saiyan God Saiyan Pyroar is absolutely amazing though. Likely gonna get Sun.

Starting to look like Fairy/Fire and Dark/Water might not be true....It just better not be Dark/Flying again. It already looks kinda like Yveltal.

SSGS Pyroar...I love it! xD

As for the typings, I figured as much for those. For Dark/Flying...I'll agree with you there. Yveltal is the only one of those we really need tbh...

"Rowlet can attack without making a sound! It flies silently through the skies, drawing near to its opponent without being noticed, and then lashing out with powerful kicks. It can also attack from a distance using the razor-sharp leaves that form part of its feathers."

I will be completely baffled if it's not physical.

I did not really read the Pokedex entry. Yea, thats a physical attacker. Really weird to imagine the little bird ball fighting things.

Also, between the fan art I'm seeing and the comparison people have already drawn assuming Litten keeps its base color scheme I'm nicknaming it Ryuko. Rowlet is likely to be Kaepora.

Rowlet will probably be either Hedwig (Female) or Archimedes (Male)

And yeah, was surprised to find out about the kicking thing. That's hilarious, makes me even more certain it's gonna evolve into a badass.

I think I have to name Litten Shadow.

As for...the sea lion....not sure yet.

Assuming Archimedes is a TF2 reference both those names would need Rowlet to become white. ATM its too brown for those to fit imo.

Also, while character customization will keep the base design from mattering too much, curious what you all think about the male and female trainer outfits? For the male I think just having a T-Shirt is whats throwing me off. It make sense for the region, but it feels weird for him to not have something over it. Not sure why the female design isn't clicking. I think part of it is the hat though. Also, the characters (male at least) looks WAY taller than normal. I mean, they've been doing it for a while now, but it REALLY shows in the trailer when the guy is running.

Assuming Archimedes is a TF2 reference both those names would need Rowlet to become white. ATM its too brown for those to fit imo.

Also, while character customization will keep the base design from mattering too much, curious what you all think about the male and female trainer outfits? For the male I think just having a T-Shirt keeps me from liking it. It make sense for the region, but it feels weird for him to not have something over it. Not sure why the female design isn't clicking. I think part of it is the hat though. Also, the characters look WAY taller than normal. I mean, they've been doing it for a while now, but it REALLY shows in the trailer when the guy is running.

It's actually a reference to the owl from Sword and the Stone.

I love the hat really, I think it's adorable.

And I'm pretty sure they're trying to make the trainers older now. Like 16ish. So that's probably why.

It's actually a reference to the owl from Sword and the Stone.

I love the hat really, I think it's adorable.

And I'm pretty sure they're trying to make the trainers older now. Like 16ish. So that's probably why.

It just looks so silly. Reminds me of the scribblenauts hat.

I totally get behind that. If memory serves they wanted to make the player character in BW look about 14 and XY and SM both look like 16. I don't see them getting much older than that though.

Perhaps they can surprise us and make MoonBat Psychic/Flying (although Lugia already fills that niché for cover legendaries) or even Ghost/Flying. Dark/Flying just doesn't seem likely right after Yveltal.

It REALLY fells like it should be Psychic. The design even makes me think of Olympia. Maybe Psychic/Dark.

Also, thought of a name for Popplio. Pompy, the first boss from DKC: Tropical Freeze.

Archived