Pokemon Sun & Moon

Tinkerer

• Replies 4.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Oh yeah I definitely love Emerald more than ORAS. In fact while I still overall like ORAS, I felt disrespected as someone who loved Emerald with all my heart. Not only did they axe the Battle Frontier as I mentioned earlier, they then proceeded to dangle the Battle Tower in front of my face at the same time, among other points.

If FRLG didn't age well, I would say that's only because The Split wasn't put into place yet, and that movesets were still underdeveloped, something you're going to get out of any game form gens 1 to 3. In terms of the journey and exploring the region, I still find myself regularly going back and running through Kanto, just because I feel it's a fun region to run through.

Again, just remove random encounters and I'll be all good on that front (hint: that'll never actually happen)

Don't understand what's so terrible about FRLG tho. Even if it is a 1:1 of RB, it's RB but actually playable. Unless you just straight-up hate Kanto in general

Again, I don't love it as much as HGSS, which was just lovely, but I still love it and am gonna stick behind it. Underwhelming as a remake in terms of content? Maybe, even if we consider it was the first one, but not a bad game by any stretch of the imagination

I'll definitely give you that FRLG is better than RB. It'd be stupid to say otherwise.

I just don't think Kanto is a good region. It's, in my eyes, one of the worst regions to replay. It feels very bland, and while you DO get some wiggle room with gym order and such, I don't feel like it does much.

It is because it's the first game in the series, given how that means it has some leniency/it's ofc not neccesarily as polished as the others. But that's why FRLG bothers me (not to the degree of ORAS): Because it doesn't do anything but port and fix the weird ideas they had in gen 1. It doesn't feel like anything special, and really feels... empty? And the diversity is still really low.

I wouldn't put it in the worst games category (unlike ORAS, where water is only a nitpick because they improved basically NOTHING else), but I don't think it stands up to the best games, either.

I gotcha. I don't really see Kanto as a bland region at all, but it is smaller and generally has less to see compared to regions that came before it. Still, I rather liked how relatively simple the region and its plot was. BW had a very involved plot, which I loved, but I don't like how it sacrificed freedom of movement and roadblocked your progress in some pretty ridiculous ways to tell its story. Plus, the whole region in general was infuriatingly linear, especially in BW1

What would you consider some of the better games to be, besides HGSS? Because for me, FRLG is certainly one of the higher-ups on that list

I gotcha. I don't really see Kanto as a bland region at all, but it is smaller and generally has less to see compared to regions that came before it. Still, I rather liked how relatively simple the region and its plot was. BW had a very involved plot, which I loved, but I don't like how it sacrificed freedom of movement and roadblocked your progress in some pretty ridiculous ways to tell its story. Plus, the whole region in general was infuriatingly linear, especially in BW1

What would you consider some of the better games to be, besides HGSS? Because for me, FRLG is certainly one of the higher-ups on that list

HGSS is a more personal pick, but I do see it as high up, yeah.

Emerald was REALLY good. Not perfect, given where it aged, but if ORAS was Emerald-based/had more diversity, I feel they could have been the best in the series.

BW is one I want to call best, but... that encounter rate is SO bad, and there's the issue of how xenophobic the region is. However...

BW2, while its story is worse, has very, very good gameplay. You curve out well, there's lots of diversity, and you rarely feel like you get the really short/really long segments, with each major area feeling as if it was paced juuuuust right. Personal pick for best.

Platinum did a lot right ,too. There were some problem areas, like the snow/Mt. Coronet, but the overall idea and execution was strong.

Those three (E, BW2, Pt) were the best, along with HGSS, in my eyes. I feel like they did all of them pretty damn well, in the end, where I feel FRLG (less so)/RB, ORAS/RS, DP all fell flat. Not to mention XY, whose pacing is genuinely WTF. The diversity is really good, at least, but too much happens either constantly or too far apart in XY.

Gooooootta say I actually pretty much agree with those picks.

BW1 vs BW2 for me is a lot like comparing Colosseum and XD. The sequel far and away had better gameplay and presentation, but it was missing the excellent narrative the first games had and the former games just generally felt… "cooler" and less "kidified", if you will. I probably feel that way mostly because of the given protagonists—Wes is my favorite little edgelord, and BW1 legitimately had my favorite protag designs in the entire series, especially Hilda/Touko (hence my namesake, hue)

BW2, while its story is worse, has very, very good gameplay. You curve out well, there's lots of diversity, and you rarely feel like you get the really short/really long segments, with each major area feeling as if it was paced juuuuust right. Personal pick for best.

To be fair....

BW2 was just the player spectating the aftermath of BW.

Like... Nothing actually happened in that game, since it was just another Trainer observing what happened after the events of it.

Had some pretty cool bits to it, though, like knowing what happened with N & friends. Oh, and the movie theater gimmick was a lot of fun.

I didn't particularly enjoy the encounter rate in BW either, it was somewhat infuriating.

IMO, Red/Blue aged better than they did

Don't go saying "No they didn't because glitches eksdee"- But that's literally the whole point to playing Red/Blue, and it's why they are so iconic.

I agree, the glitches made RBY more iconic than FRLG.

Okay so I gotta say. FR;LG was perfectly fine imo because they were just meant to be remakes so people could play not glitchy R/B.

Water routes don't bother me because Repels are extremely easy to get in bulk.

Aaaand ORAS should've based itself off of Emerald, or at least, the gameplay stuff. Such as better teams for the Gym Leaders.

I don't think I'd give any of the games lower than 7/10 personally. Not including the first two gens cause those obviously aren't great nowadays. Still can be fun if you go into it with right mindset.

Also never played Ruby/Sapphire so my only experience with that is Emerald which was fun.

To be fair....

BW2 was just the player spectating the aftermath of BW.

Like... Nothing actually happened in that game, since it was just another Trainer observing what happened after the events of it.

Had some pretty cool bits to it, though, like knowing what happened with N & friends. Oh, and the movie theater gimmick was a lot of fun.

I mean, I wouldn't call Ghetsis freezing over a whole city "nothing actually happening"

Granted, the scale could've been much larger, like that one early promotional picture we saw of the second game, but it's not like BW2 was devoid of any real events. It was much more focused on your Pokemon League challenge than with Team Plasma, but I don't think that's really a bad thing either

If you're complaining about a remake being a 1:1 port with improved graphics/gameplay, reevaluate your post, because ORAS is to RS as Zero Mission is to Metroid NES. And none of the four games I just listed are even terrible.

This parallel doesn't work because Metroid NES was a good game.

I actually love water routes and hope that they are expanded upon further in Sun & Moon.

if they fix water then sure

but water is terrible in every pokemon

it's not fun, it's always dreadful

I think it would be interesting to have a Pokemon game based of Japanese mythology. I mean who knows. As it was said, we know next to nothing right now. All we have to go off of is four or five screenshots, Magiearia, and the a wire-frame fo a bird.

Complain about water routes, you can complain about copypaste levels, ugly as funk enemies, the long beam and the really slow jumps. I'm honestly still not sure as to why ORAS was a 'bad game'. Sure, Looker could do with development and the Battle Tower thing funked me off but I got over that.

I think it would be interesting to have a Pokemon game based of Japanese mythology. I mean who knows. As it was said, we know next to nothing right now. All we have to go off of is four or five screenshots, Magiearia, and the a wire-frame fo a bird.

iirc the three dogs were japanese or something.

We have a few Pokemon based off Eastern ( Japanese specifically ) mythology.

Lotad/Lombre/Ludicolo - Kappa

Ninetails and Vulpix - Kyubi no Kitsune

Frosslass - Yuki Onna

Espeon - Nekomata

Mawile and Whiscash are based off things from mythology too, but I forget what they are called.

Shifty might be based off a Tengu.

This parallel doesn't work because Metroid NES was a good game.

if they fix water then sure

but water is terrible in every pokemon

it's not fun, it's always dreadful

Which is why after Gen 3 they RELLY pulled pack on surfing. I mean, do Gens 4-6 have any major water routes?

Pokemon has always pulled from various mythology as they make new stuff. Little here, little there. If you look, you'll find all kinds of stuff.

I think 'Japanese mythology' as a theme is a bit redundant. 4 of the regions are already geographically based on Japan, and Japanese mythology is basically omnipresent throughout all the games.

You have the rough themings of regions like Hoenn's tropical theme and Kalos' French parallel. In terms of Pokémon design, I think Unova is really the only region to integrate the region's inspiration heavily into the design of the Pokémon themselves.

funking hell, in BW you barely travelled on water AT ALL. Surfing was so scarce it actually felt wrong to me. Random encounters are bad, but the feeling of being able to travel on water is another story entirely. It makes me feel free and powerful, which is probably why I'm so quick to forgive Hoenn's overabundance of water routes.

And while I wouldn't call using Japanese mythology "redundant", just according to GaijinGoomba's words it could be used as a move Pokemon is making try and speak more with its native fanbase again and make it show, since they may feel that being based in different parts of the world has alienated them. But again, we have no idea what's actually going to happen, and I don't really care where the region is set as long as it's actually fun to explore, unlike Kalos.

funking hell, in BW you barely travelled on water AT ALL. Surfing was so scarce it actually felt wrong to me. Random encounters are bad, but the feeling of being able to travel on water is another story entirely. It makes me feel free and powerful, which is probably why I'm so quick to forgive Hoenn's overabundance of water routes.

i'd feel more powerful if i didn't need to buy 99 max repels to avoid dealing with a tentacool every 4 steps

Pokémon's dumbest design choice is assuming that random pokémon encounters act as an obstacle or challenge after route 2.

They could make all water routes act like the desert route in XY and it'd instantly become a whole lot better. It wouldn't be perfect, mind you, but it would be better.

That's actually exactly what I was getting at a while back. That route had its own share of problems in and of itself (mainly the WIND RUINING EVERYTHING and skates being horrible) but it presented a MUCH better universal alternative to what we have right now.

Now if only GameFreak would pay attention to it..

Sad part is I was hyped for XY for a solid 2 years until I got a 3DS and then when I got it along with ORAS I was really disappointed.

About the only good thing was the whole Kanto starter thing and even then I dropped Frogadier for Charmander anyway because I realised what Protean does and why my Frogadier didn't have it. Chesnaught has never let me down yet competitively and that fire starter whose name eludes me SUUUUUUCKS.

I might review XY now actually.

Archived