Pokemon Sun & Moon

Tinkerer

• Replies 4.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't understand why everyone is hating on random encounters so much. It's what makes pokemon what it is.

Random encounters are fine. Not exactly challenging, but fine and an RPG staple essentially. 

Random ecounters every 5 steps are not fine. They are just irritating. Especially when it's against like a Tentacool, or Zubats in caves. Low EXP, irritating enemies appearing far too often. And especially on long routes where you cannot avoid the possibility of a random encounter (Caves and Oceans) 

You can keep random encounters without having this extreme. 

Random encounters are fine. Not exactly challenging, but fine and an RPG staple essentially. 

Random ecounters every 5 steps are not fine. They are just irritating. Especially when it's against like a Tentacool, or Zubats in caves. Low EXP, irritating enemies appearing far too often. And especially on long routes where you cannot avoid the possibility of a random encounter (Caves and Oceans) 

I usually go 30 steps and not 5.

They've dropped the encounter rates for caves and the water in Gen 6 if I'm not mistaken. I know it wasn't as bad in ORAS.

That doesn't change the fact that they're annoying. There's no point in wasting a player's time by having a low-level enemy show up randomly that you're just going to run away from. 

Random encounters are fine if the showing up are either going to provide you a challenge or you're intentionally looking for one, but having them around in water for the sake of "tradition" is lame.

Grass is fine because you know where it'll be on a given route and many routes even have ways for you to avoid grass completely.

The only time I've been okay with random encounters everywhere has been in caves, where they really add to the feel of a cave being a place you shouldn't really want to tread into that will take a lot of work to go deeper into.

Water just doesn't have that same tone so the random encounters everywhere are just more frustrating.

Thats basically in ORAS with the Lati twins. Fly is better but being able to use it without having a Pokemon in your team with it is SUCH a gift imo.

I want this for every HM tbh. After a certain point in the game they shouldn't require you to need HMs to get places. Like post-game.

At the very least give us a jetski plz.

I think Pokémon works by a lot of design choices that if any other game did similarly would be absolutely battered for. Pokémon games get away with a lot of the poor game design by virtue of tradition.

Less linear games would do wonders, I think. Hoenn was pretty nonlinear, but you had to tredge through surf encounters. Totally agree with Agro about wild encounters. There's almost certainly a solution that fixes the issues of wild encounters being entirely unchallenging and basically unavoidable.

I think Pokémon works by a lot of design choices that if any other game did similarly would be absolutely battered for. Pokémon games get away with a lot of the poor game design by virtue of tradition.

Less linear games would do wonders, I think. Hoenn was pretty nonlinear, but you had to tredge through surf encounters. Totally agree with Agro about wild encounters. There's almost certainly a solution that fixes the issues of wild encounters being entirely unchallenging and basically unavoidable.

They can basically just put grass to the side on every route, making a deterrent to hide something behind like an item of some sort.

Of course it'd have to work different for water or caves but whatever.

I want there to be more HMs though.  There has to be a maximum of 8 HMs and a minimum of 8 HMs.  Plus, I want more cities to only be accessible by HMs.

HM01: Cut

HM02: Fly

HM03: Surf

HM04: Strength

HM05: Flash

HM06: Whirlpool

HM07: Waterfall

HM08: Dive

HM09: Tightwalk

HM10: Dodge

HM11: Craftsmanship

HM12: Taxi Call