Overwatch

Mr. Hyde

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm sad that there is no golf dad skin.  At least we have a golf dad pose I guess.  I hope they do something to make these crates easier to obtain.  I do NOT have the time to powerlevel before august 22 since I'm heading back to school right around then and next week im on vacation.  I mean the game was already 40-60 freakin dollars this isn't Hearthstone Bliz we don't want to spend any more real world money on your pay to play game :FailFish:

I was playing comp last night with a friend who's still doing his placement queue and he played bastion and was doing so bad then killed 4 people who literally walked straight at him in overtime and that was play. I don't think I've laughed that hard in a good while at this game

So, my team started as hanzo, torb, zenyata, roadhog, lucio, and Genji and we were playing defense on Temple of Anubis (I was playing Hanzo).  I said, "we are likely going to lose with this team composition, can one of the healers change to something with more damage."  Then my team starts giving me sh*t about how useless hanzo is to the team.  They said "kills wins the game."  Okey okey, I instantly took the lead with the first kill, then my team melted and we lost the first objective.

I was behind the gate next to the first objective and checked to see my score, and I had gold for both kills and damage dealt.  Then (this got play of the game) I look up 'cause I see red and killed a tracer, started shooting a D.Va and then a Soldier somehow jumped on me (I've been slowly walking backwards while pulling my bow and such) and I start shooting him.  Then I used my ult which stopped D.Va and the other tank from passing through the gate, and I killed soldier and a Lucio (Lucio barely got through the gate before I ult'd.  Then my ult had passed the gate and the two tanks started surging towards me and I turned to run only to come face to face with Winston's chest followed by a bunch of attackers (apparently my team switched).  So obviously, I turned to give support and as soon as the tanks were dead, I turned and ran up the stairs and stood on top to snipe.

By the end of the match, I had bronze for kills and silver for damage dealt.  Now, do you think snipers are completely useless?

So, my team started as hanzo, torb, zenyata, roadhog, lucio, and Genji and we were playing defense on Temple of Anubis (I was playing Hanzo).  I said, "we are likely going to lose with this team composition, can one of the healers change to something with more damage."  Then my team starts giving me sh*t about how useless hanzo is to the team.  They said "kills wins the game."  Okey okey, I instantly took the lead with the first kill, then my team melted and we lost the first objective.

I was behind the gate next to the first objective and checked to see my score, and I had gold for both kills and damage dealt.  Then (this got play of the game) I look up 'cause I see red and killed a tracer, started shooting a D.Va and then a Soldier somehow jumped on me (I've been slowly walking backwards while pulling my bow and such) and I start shooting him.  Then I used my ult which stopped D.Va and the other tank from passing through the gate, and I killed soldier and a Lucio (Lucio barely got through the gate before I ult'd.  Then my ult had passed the gate and the two tanks started surging towards me and I turned to run only to come face to face with Winston's chest followed by a bunch of attackers (apparently my team switched).  So obviously, I turned to give support and as soon as the tanks were dead, I turned and ran up the stairs and stood on top to snipe.

By the end of the match, I had bronze for kills and silver for damage dealt.  Now, do you think snipers are completely useless?

Yes.

As a Mercy/Lucio main, you are my least favorite kind of player because you did a few bad things:

• Zenyatta is wrecking ball that barely qualifies as a healer, in the currect meta Lucio and Zenyatta are preferred because their heals compliment each other and their damage/utility is great. I'd pray to Allah for that comp on my teams!
  • 95% of Hanzos ruin games. Your game seems pretty good, but snipers have very little holding power. They're made to compliment the defense so if I had to remove 1 champ from the game it'd be Widow then Ana (At least for the next few weeks, since no one plays her worth a damn) then Hanzo. If I had to take a shot everytime I had double snipers, I'd be dead of alcohol poisoning. 
  • Your teams problem seems lack of skill, not really game knowledge if they're getting curb stomped with that comp. (Genji probably should have changed, your Hanzo was okay with two healers and a Roadhog but be careful, but Torb, Roadhog, Lucio, and Zen is solid af)
  • Don't brag about damage medals if you lose. They'll help you go up in ranking where you'll be matched better, but until then. Who could care if you lose? This case doesn't seem like your fault but it's not exactly a testimony that snipers aren't "useless". (because they are... most of the time)

Snipers aren't useless. They are just prone to being bad, the closer the opposing team gets and/or are on a team that wants to really move.

Plus.....

Widow's charge might as well stay at 100

Hanzo doesn't honestly require you to aim/has scatter arrows

Ana, if given the chance, will ruin an entire opposing team

Not to mention the fact hitboxes for heads are like 3-5 times bigger then they appear; bodyshots on anyone who isn't Reinhardt basically become headshots.

Etc.

Snipers are as niche as healers, really.

To be honest, you were moreso in the wrong. Lucio as main heals and Zen as off heals is extremely powerful. The AoE from Lucio pairs extremely well with the focus from zen, and while Lucio lacks potential damage, Zen provides huge damage to the whole team via Discord.

Not only that, but Hanzo is in an extremely shaky spot right now. He has too little reward for too much risk. It's exponentially harder to get headshots, and without them Hanzo's damage is mediocre at best. His scatter arrow is extremely powerful, but only when aimed properly, and sonar arrow is basically just a worse Widow ult. The fact of the matter is: you don't play a sniper to deal damage. You do it to get kills. You should have at least a silver in elims. Otherwise, you would have been a much better help as a more universal damage dealer, like Junkrat, or a main/off tank like Rein, Dva, or Zarya to compliment the Roadhog choice.

Now I'm not saying Hanzo can't be a strong pick. I've played with and against a handful of very good Hanzo's in comp. but that's the thing: his skill cap is bonkers, and if fall anywhere below that line you are essentially undercutting your own, and most importantly your TEAM'S potential.

To be honest, you were moreso in the wrong. Lucio as main heals and Zen as off heals is extremely powerful. The AoE from Lucio pairs extremely well with the focus from zen, and while Lucio lacks potential damage, Zen provides huge damage to the whole team via Discord.

Not only that, but Hanzo is in an extremely shaky spot right now. He has too little reward for too much risk. It's exponentially harder to get headshots, and without them Hanzo's damage is mediocre at best. His scatter arrow is extremely powerful, but only when aimed properly, and sonar arrow is basically just a worse Widow ult. The fact of the matter is: you don't play a sniper to deal damage. You do it to get kills. You should have at least a silver in elims. Otherwise, you would have been a much better help as a more universal damage dealer, like Junkrat, or a main/off tank like Rein, Dva, or Zarya to compliment the Roadhog choice.

Now I'm not saying Hanzo can't be a strong pick. I've played with and against a handful of very good Hanzo's in comp. but that's the thing: his skill cap is bonkers, and if fall anywhere below that line you are essentially undercutting your own, and most importantly your TEAM'S potential.

Which is the reason Hanzo has become my most used character.  I've seen competitive games change tides when a good Hanzo hit the field.  I want to be that Hanzo that turns the tide of the battle, and this example is my first solid example of my practice paying off.  I killed half their team and stalled the rest.  I just hate when people trash talk me just for picking a sniper, especially when I show them up for the first half of the match before they all go offense.

Also... the way you know your likely the reason your team lost is when you have 1 bronze to no medals.

Which is the reason Hanzo has become my most used character.  I've seen competitive games change tides when a good Hanzo hit the field.  I want to be that Hanzo that turns the tide of the battle, and this example is my first solid example of my practice paying off.  I killed half their team and stalled the rest.  I just hate when people trash talk me just for picking a sniper, especially when I show them up for the first half of the match before they all go offense.

Also... the way you know your likely the reason your team lost is when you have 1 bronze to no medals.

Asking one of the healers to change to more damage output is pretty much trash talk when you could change to a character with a far more reliable and less fluctuating damage output than Hanzo, who isn't really a damage output character. Lucio and Zen on a team is a well tested composition. Hanzo has never proven himself as essential to a team composition, so certain reactions are somewhat expected.

Actually, medals are literally just a way to rank your personal stats against the rest of your team. If you have a silver in damage, it means that you have done more damage than 4 other players on your team. If you lost, then chances are these stats are low to begin with. Getting a silver while dealing, I dunno, about 3k damage per game is nothing to pride yourself over. It means the rest of your team was getting obliterated so hard that they couldn't play their roles.

Finally, Hanzo is NOT a character that can "turn the tides". His ultimate can, sure, but that's about it. Hanzo has absolutely 0 ability to contest at close range. Widow can at least jump on the point, drop a mine, shoot her gun, then grapple away after a few seconds to be a general pest on the point, and buy time for power classes to get there. Hanzo does not have this. He is a pure Pick Class. And there is nothing wrong with that. But why do you think Sniper is rarely seen in TF2 6v6 comp? Because the meta is Medic, pocket Soldier, free Soldier, Demo, and 2 scouts. Switching to a pick class is a decision to limit your team's contest ability and potential damage, in exchange for making the game harder to play for your opponent. Medic Ubers basically define competative pushes in 6v6. Sniper is a class where, with a skilled user, forces the medic to either drop Uber when killed, or pop it prematurely to ensure he's at a safe distance away from the sniper. By this logic, Sniper should be considered a strong pick in 6v6 no? Well actually no. To swap in a sniper you have to swap OUT someone else. You can't really swap out Demo or medic. Both scouts are pretty vital towards capping and pestering. So then either your pocket Solly or Free Solly would be replaced with sniper. That's a HUGE damage loss. Sniper can consistently take out most threats in 6v6 with 1 shot, but when he doesn't die to lack of skill he gets dominated by the flankers.

Now let's go back to Overwatch. The game is a lot more balanced than TF2, in the sense that you have specific roles to fill rather than a set hero spread. Because of this, pick classes are inherently less effective, because you have no idea how their spread will be able to deal with you. Most tanks can shrug off snipers with bad aim, or avoid them completely. And while Widow has a way to avoid flankers, Hanzo does not. He simply gets torn apart from any competent Tracer or Reaper. Hanzo is not a class that can 180 a situation. Neither is Sniper. They are a class that depends on the rest of your team to be extremely solid, so that you have the space you need to get into your rhythm and start the rampage. This is why he's not picked in comp, and frowned upon in a queue with randoms. Not only do YOU have to be on your best play, but your TEAM needs the cohesion to pick up your inherent slack from picking a pick class

Hanzo is good if used correctly.

Hanzo's biggest issue is accuracy.  So, let's assume you have good accuracy.  That's 125 damage per hit (at full pull).  Tanks cannot ignore that.  That can melt almost any character in the game.  125 damage is 21% of Hog's normal health, 25% of D.Va mech and 83% of non-mech, 25% of Reinhardt, 25% of Winston normal and 14% of winston rage, and 31% of Zarya.

The problem is, most people play Hanzo wrong.  Hanzo, could be classified as a support, because he is only as good as the front line.  If reaper or any high damage character gets behind the team, he is generally dead unless he can land scatter (though not all the time if enemy aim is worse than his).  I've personally killed several offense that got behind my team as Hanzo.  He is perfect for picking off low health characters if he can land his hits.  His constant dragon eye arrow allows your team to prepare for defense (yea, not as good as Widow ult, but more consistent).  My favorite part about playing hanzo is just dealing a sheet ton of damage.  Sometimes a hanzo hit or two means the difference in victor during a reinhardt throwdown when your reinhardt is gonna lose.  I've killed winston's in rage form by landing a few hits while my team missed misserably or were being thrown around.

My point is, Hanzo is only as good as his aim and his team.  He is good for picking off low health people, or just dealing enough damage for his team mates to come out alive during a duel.  Not to mention, I love killing turrets and baster... I mean bastions.

"From experience a well placed Hanzo ult or a Widowmaker cleanly taking out a Torb/Bastion does a lot to help you attack." -Burekuke

Edit: His scatter arrow is a good genji/tracer counter.

I was backfill on temple of Anubus. Here is the situation, I join, we are defending objective B, and the enemy has control of the checkpont with 8 minutes left. I get on the seen, and stop the capture right before they win, and then I proceed to take 3 golds, 23 eliminations, 12 objective eliminations, and over 6k damage. I can say for sure, I was the MVP on that team. Even though I was backfill at what seemed the last seconds of a 2 minute game, we won and I took 3 golds...

Wish I was a Youtuber, this would be the sheet.

I'm happy that i'm slowly getting better at the game. Now i'm using a lot of tracer (because i unlocked the gorgeous Punk skin) and seeing the death rate go down each few matches is so satisfying. It feels good not being total absolute trash.

Also, i'm slowly trying to sniper which is good since it's a role i never experimented with before. Also, Zaz we should totally play together on ps4.(although i can't use mic)

Archived