Yu-Gi-Oh! Rulings Questions

• Replies 16.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Does number 107: Galaxy-Eyes tachyon dragon gain a 2nd attack from its effect just from negating effects or resetting ATK? Or does your opponent have to resolve an effect for that to happen?

Once per Battle Phase, at the start of your Battle Phase: You can detach 1 Xyz Material from this card; negate the effects of all other face-up monsters currently on the field, also their ATK and DEF become their original ATK and DEF, and if you do any of these, during the Battle Phase this turn, each time an opponent's card effect resolves, this card gains 1000 ATK until the end of the Battle Phase, also, it can make a second attack during each Battle Phase this turn.

It should be able to. Using Rank-Up Magic is not affecting the targeted monster. It is performing an Xyz Summon by using the monster as Material.

No it shouldn't. The monster can't be used as a material; it would be happening through the RUM, which the targeted monster is unaffected by.

http://yugioh.wikia.com/wiki/Card_Rulings:Rank-Up-Magic_Barian%27s_Force

If "Forbidden Lance" is Chained to the activation of "Rank-Up-Magic Barian's Force", the targeted monster becomes unaffected by Spell Cards. In this case, the effect of "Rank-Up-Magic Barian's Force" is not applied. No Xyz Monster is Special Summoned from the Extra Deck, and the targeted Xyz Monster remains on the field.

Does number 107: Galaxy-Eyes tachyon dragon gain a 2nd attack from its effect just from negating effects or resetting ATK? Or does your opponent have to resolve an effect for that to happen?

>Once per Battle Phase, at the start of your Battle Phase: You can detach 1 Xyz Material from this card; negate the effects of all other face-up monsters currently on the field, also their ATK and DEF become their original ATK and DEF, and if you do any of these, during the Battle Phase this turn, each time an opponent's card effect resolves, this card gains 1000 ATK until the end of the Battle Phase, also, it can make a second attack during each Battle Phase this turn.

I thought it was a period before the "also" not a comma, now I get it.

No it shouldn't. The monster can't be used as a material; it would be happening through the RUM, which the targeted monster is unaffected by.

http://yugioh.wikia.com/wiki/Card_Rulings:Rank-Up-Magic_Barian%27s_Force

If "Forbidden Lance" is Chained to the activation of "Rank-Up-Magic Barian's Force", the targeted monster becomes unaffected by Spell Cards. In this case, the effect of "Rank-Up-Magic Barian's Force" is not applied. No Xyz Monster is Special Summoned from the Extra Deck, and the targeted Xyz Monster remains on the field.

I stand corrected. Thanks for clearing that up.

i  dueled someone and they said i couldn't do something that seemed perfectly legal to me..so i just wanted to clarify if i was right..

he had ancient gear gadjiltron dragon and hieratic sun dragon overlord of heliopolis and i had reptilianne medusa.

i used the effect of medusa two times to target both of them to drop their attack to zero...then he says i can't do that....which doesn't make sense..

because the text of reptilianne medusa DOES NOT HAVE "once per turn"

monster:

http://yugioh.wikia.com/wiki/Reptilianne_Medusa

rulings page of reference used

http://yugioh.wikia.com/wiki/Card_Rulings:Reptilianne_Medusa

thanks in advance

i  dueled someone and they said i couldn't do something that seemed perfectly legal to me..so i just wanted to clarify if i was right..

he had ancient gear gadjiltron dragon and hieratic sun dragon overlord of heliopolis and i had reptilianne medusa.

i used the effect of medusa two times to target both of them to drop their attack to zero...then he says i can't do that....which doesn't make sense..

because the text of reptilianne medusa DOES NOT HAVE "once per turn"

monster:

http://yugioh.wikia.com/wiki/Reptilianne_Medusa

rulings page of reference used

http://yugioh.wikia.com/wiki/Card_Rulings:Reptilianne_Medusa

thanks in advance

Yes, you can do that. As you said, Medusa is not "once per turn". You may use its effect as many times as you'd like, so long as you have cards to send, and monsters to change to 0.

Can't find an answer and it may be a stupid question but,

Can Ghostrick Lantern negate the attack on my SET Ghostrick card?

Lantern's relevent text is as follows: "When an opponent's monster declares a direct attack, or when a "Ghostrick" monster you control is targeted for an attack: You can negate the attack, and if you do, Special Summon this card from your hand in face-down Defense Position."

Another Question I have,

If Ghostrick Dullahan is destroyed via battle and retrieves Ghostrick Specter, Specter will not be able to use it`s effect to summon itself, correct?

And finally,

If I take battle damage from an attack, can I use both my Ghostrick Mary and Tragoedia's effect at the same time and place when whichever way in the chain link I like?

Thanks for you're help!

Can't find an answer and it may be a stupid question but,

Can Ghostrick Lantern negate the attack on my SET Ghostrick card?

Lantern's relevent text is as follows: "When an opponent's monster declares a direct attack, or when a "Ghostrick" monster you control is targeted for an attack: You can negate the attack, and if you do, Special Summon this card from your hand in face-down Defense Position."

Another Question I have,

If Ghostrick Dullahan is destroyed via battle and retrieves Ghostrick Specter, Specter will not be able to use it`s effect to summon itself, correct?

And finally,

If I take battle damage from an attack, can I use both my Ghostrick Mary and Tragoedia's effect at the same time and place when whichever way in the chain link I like?

Thanks for you're help!

1) No. Your Ghostrick must be face-up.

2) No, Specter cannot be SSed if Dullahan retrieves it, because when Dullahan resolves, it is past the timing window for Specter.

3) No. Only one Trigger Effect from the hand can be activated per chain (such as Kagetokage, Tragoedia/Gorz, TG Warwolf, etc).

If I have Bujintei Tsukuymoi with Nigitama as a Xyz Material, and I use Tsukuyomi's effect by detaching Nigitama while I control a Spirit, do I draw with Nigitama before or after Tsukuyomi resolves?

Nigitama is a trigger effect, it won't chain Tsukiyomi because it's SS1 and not a SEGOC situation. Nigitama will activate in a new chain.

I haven't played for a couple of years, but I read on the wikia that rules regarding priority has changed (to not exist).

How does this affect actual gameplay? Do mandatory effects like the Monarchs go through even if Bottomless Trap Hole'd, but ignition effects like "once per turn..." not do?

Also, because it's so long ago, I just want to make sure a couple of other things:

- Ignition effects and inherent Summons are Spell Speed 1

- during the Battle Phase you can only activate Spell Speed 2+, i.e. you can activate a Quick-Play from hand

- during the damage step you can only activate Spell Speed 3, or Spell Speed 2 that alters ATK/DEF
- any card which cost or initial effect is "send/discard to the graveyard" cannot be played when that card would be removed from play

Thanks in advance.

Edit:

Some questions arised while playing today:

- What happens if you chain Jar of Greed to Royal Decree?

- Can you chain Jar of Greed to LADD negating another card?

- Will LADD negate Jar Turtles effect (as it does not start a chain)?
- Can you win by Exodia on your opponent's turn?
- What happens if you play Hidden Armory and mill the last Equip Card in your deck?
- What is prioritized: "cannot be Special Summoned except by"/"can only be Special Summoned by" or "ignoring Summoning Conditions"?

I haven't played for a couple of years, but I read on the wikia that rules regarding priority has changed (to not exist).

How does this affect actual gameplay? Do mandatory effects like the Monarchs go through even if Bottomless Trap Hole'd, but ignition effects like "once per turn..." not do?

That's right. Monarchs go off, but something like Chaos Sorcerer would not be able to do anything of BTH'd

Also, because it's so long ago, I just want to make sure a couple of other things:

- Ignition effects and inherent Summons are Spell Speed 1

Yes.

- during the Battle Phase you can only activate Spell Speed 2+, i.e. you can activate a Quick-Play from hand

Mhm.

- during the damage step you can only activate Spell Speed 3, or Spell Speed 2 that alters ATK/DEF

Ya.

- any card which cost or initial effect is "send/discard to the graveyard" cannot be played when that card would be removed from play

Yeah.

Thanks in advance.

Edit:

Some questions arised while playing today:

- What happens if you chain Jar of Greed to Royal Decree?

Jar of Greed resolves before Royal Decree does. You draw a card.

- Can you chain Jar of Greed to LADD negating another card?

Yes. Each effect can only activate once in a chain, so you can draw.

- Will LADD negate Jar Turtles effect (as it does not start a chain)?

It can only negate in a chain, so no. Any Continuous effect goes through.

- Can you win by Exodia on your opponent's turn?

Yeah. The moment you get all 5, you win.

- What happens if you play Hidden Armory and mill the last Equip Card in your deck?

It should fizzle.

- What is prioritized: "cannot be Special Summoned except by"/"can only be Special Summoned by" or "ignoring Summoning Conditions"?

Ignoring Summoning Conditions bypasses everything, which is why it appears very rarely on cards.

Ignoring Summoning Conditions bypasses everything, which is why it appears very rarely on cards.

"Ignoring Summoning Conditions" still cannot bypass if the monster wasn't properly summoned first, as stated in Rainbow Gravity's rulings:

• A "Rainbow Dragon" or "Rainbow Dark Dragon" in the Graveyard that was not first properly Special Summoned cannot be Special Summoned with "Rainbow Gravity".

Then again, that's easily explained by that what's preventing the Rainbow Dragon from being summoned isn't a summoning condition, but a game mechanic.

Also, Hidden Armory can grab Equips from the graveyard, so unless the opponent can D.D. Crow your last equip out of your grave, Hidden Armory will rarely fizzle (but if it does, you'll have to show your opponent your deck to verify). Charge of the Light Brigade, however, will fizzle if you mill the last applicable Lightsworns from the deck with those three mills (and show your Deck to your opponent to verify).

[...]

Thanks for the answers.

A follow-up question, in the rulings for LADD it says that effect monster that activates in the hand (such as Gorz) are not sent to the graveyard, but are kept in the hand, does that mean you can burn all of LADD's negate with one Effect Veiler?

Also, according to Upper Deck Entertainment rules, Lightsworns' end phase mill effect will activate again in the same End Phase, does this continue until LADD's charges are burned?

Also, what happens if you activate the effect of a monster or continous spell/trap card?

Archived