Yu-Gi-Oh! Rulings Questions

• Replies 16.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What happens if Diamond Dude hits Rank-up-Magic the Seventh One?

You should be able to able to resolve The Seventh One fully, by SSing a Number 10X, and Rank-Up it. However, if you've already used The Seventh One properly, or if you later draw The Seventh One correctly, you won't be able to use it, as the "effect of the Seventh One" is once per Duel.

Can I effectively replace MST with Artifact Movement on Decks without Artifacts? Or for some reason the latter requires Artifacts in the Deck to successfully resolve the "destroy 1 S/T" effect?

I believe this is a case of "you cannot use the card if you knowingly cannot perform the effect". If you have no Artifacts in your Deck, you can't activate it. However, if something chains to the activation of Movement, and gets rid of your only Artifact(s) remaining in Deck, you will still destroy the S/T, but the rest of the effect will not need to resolve.

So me an koko just had a duel with my Dustons, and I made Number 13 and 31. When she ended her MP1, I tried to activate Number 31's effect. She claimed that because she had only attack position monsters, I could not even activate Cain/Abel's effect, let alone force her monsters to attack them. While I dont doubt her knowledge, I do disagree with that.

Because the effect does not target, unlike Black Rose Dragon, the example she gave, I should still be allowed to activate it regardless of if she controls defense position monsters or not. Then there is the issue of the DN lore being different from the wiki's lore (which I know is not official, but neither is DN's yet), so if that can be cleared up it would be nice, but it isnt as important is the activation issue.

What are your rulings, comrades?

So me an koko just had a duel with my Dustons, and I made Number 13 and 31. When she ended her MP1, I tried to activate Number 31's effect. She claimed that because she had only attack position monsters, I could not even activate Cain/Abel's effect, let alone force her monsters to attack them. While I dont doubt her knowledge, I do disagree with that.

Because the effect does not target, unlike Black Rose Dragon, the example she gave, I should still be allowed to activate it regardless of if she controls defense position monsters or not. Then there is the issue of the DN lore being different from the wiki's lore (which I know is not official, but neither is DN's yet), so if that can be cleared up it would be nice, but it isnt as important is the activation issue.

What are your rulings, comrades?

The term "also" is considered "and/or" and they don't require each other, so changing the position doesn't happen, the must attack still occured as it is not "if you cannot Do A then you cannot do B"

How does that make sense? If you cannot apply the effects that it REQUIRES you to apply (switch all defense position monsters your opponent controls to Attack Position), then why should you be able to activate it? Because if your opponent cannot change anything due to them already being in Attack Position, you technically cannot change anything. I'm confused. 

The term "also" is considered "and/or" and they don't require each other, so changing the position doesn't happen, the must attack still occured as it is not "if you cannot Do A then you cannot do B"

imo "also" should be considered as "then" not "and/or", this "also" as "then" also found in Sombres/Kerykeion/Mega Granmarg/Mega Thestalos' lore and the last one is the newest card right now

so yea, 13/31 shouldn't be able to activate their effect since they can't apply the first thing they should apply (as well as how Sombres/Kerykeion can't NS an additional monster if they didn't return the one from Grave first)

Conflicting rulings :/

imo "also" should be considered as "then" not "and/or", this "also" as "then" also found in Sombres/Kerykeion/Mega Granmarg/Mega Thestalos' lore and the last one is the newest card right now

so yea, 13/31 shouldn't be able to activate their effect since they can't apply the first thing they should apply (as well as how Sombres/Kerykeion can't NS an additional monster if they didn't return the one from Grave first)

But the mega monarchs say "after that", so one could argue that "also" is different from this "also".

Kerykion's/Sombre's targets are part of their cost, so that "also" could be argued as different as well, because 13/31's only cost is the detach, and the position-switch effect is non-targeting.

Last I remember, you cannot activate a card effect if you know you cannot resolve all mandatory parts of that effect. And changing the battle position is a mandatory part of the effect.

If I'm wrong, it's likely due to a translation error since there's no actual tcg. But by the text, that's what it looks to be.

Kerykion's/Sombre's targets are part of their cost, so that "also" could be argued as different as well, because 13/31's only cost is the detach, and the position-switch effect is non-targeting.

But you must be able to do all parts of the effect to do all parts of the effect is what "also" means. As a result, you are not able to switch everything to Attack Position because everything is already in face-up Attack Position, therefore making applying the effect a thing that cannot occur and the effect unable to activate.

This is the same for Sombre/Kerk, as you must be able to add something back in order to gain their secondary effect. If you cannot successfully resolve that effect, then the entire effect whiffs.

Last I remember, you cannot activate a card effect if you know you cannot resolve all mandatory parts of that effect. And changing the battle position is a mandatory part of the effect.

If I'm wrong, it's likely due to a translation error since there's no actual tcg. But by the text, that's what it looks to be.

in that case, Number 13/31 is "then" not "also" since the PSCT state they do not require each other mandatory or not, so it is likely a translation error.

EDIT: after reading Sombre and Mega Monarch Granmarg and Thestalos

the rulings of "also" actually contradicted if they still require each other, then it's "then" not "also" 

just going to put this in case:

ALSO: <Do A, also do B>

Timeline: Considered simultaneous. Both happen at the same time.

Causation: Neither is required for the other. Just do as much as you can!

Example: Masked Ninja Ebisu (from Order of Chaos)

Once per turn, if you control a face-up “Ninja” monster other than “Masked Ninja Ebisu”, you can activate this effect: Return a number of your opponent’s Spell/Trap Cards to the hand, equal to the number of “Ninja” monsters you control, also every face-up “Goe Goe the Gallant Ninja” you control can attack your opponent directly this turn.

Timing: Everything after the colon (everything in blue) happens at the same time. If either player has an effect that can be activated WHEN cards are returned to the hand, they can use it immediately after this effect resolves. Even though the text regarding Goe Goe is mentioned after the text that returns cards, it all happens simultaneously.

Causation: Neither of these effects is required for the other. If, for whatever reason, you wind up NOT returning any Spells/Traps to the hand, your Goe Goes still can attack directly. Also, if you don’t have any Goe Goes when the effect resolves, you can still return Spells/Traps to your opponent’s hand. Just apply as much of the effect as you can.

When i look at number 13/31 their effects applies in the same time and are suppose to disregard each other failure. If that not suppose to happen then we have to wait till the tcg version to see if they are written differently if not entirely.

in that case, Number 13/31 is "then" not "also" since the PSCT state they do not require each other mandatory or not, so it is likely a translation error.

Sombre and Kerk require each effect to occur so that they can use each. As a result, you will need to switch something to attack position if you want me to be forced into attacking you.

Wait, misread completely. That's dumb as hell.

Sombre and Kerk have to target as part of their cost, so their context is different. The example of"Masked Ninja Ebisu" is better, although it has a condition for the activation, but you can still use its effect even if, say, you control no "Goe Goe the Gallant Ninja", or conversely, if your opponent has no backrow.

Therefore, even if you control no def position monsters, I can still force your current monsters to attack with 13/31.

Now obviously without official TCG lore, as has been said, we dont know if this is actually how it will work out, that is, if it should be "then" or "also". But, for the time being with what we have ("also"), this appears to be correct.

(So koko, if you dont want to have to worry about that, if we duel in the future, I just wont make these two.)

Doesn't Factory say "if" anyway? "If" effects cannot miss timing.

Anyways. Can someone explain to me.

I summon a Synchro/Xyz.

it gets book of mooned.

next turn, I flip it, and it gets warning'd.

Why is it no longer able to be summon'd by Call of the Haunted/Monster Reborn, despite being properly summoned a turn earlier?

Archived