Yu-Gi-Oh! Rulings Questions

Thanks for the answers.

A follow-up question, in the rulings for LADD it says that effect monster that activates in the hand (such as Gorz) are not sent to the graveyard, but are kept in the hand, does that mean you can burn all of LADD's negate with one Effect Veiler?

Also, according to Upper Deck Entertainment rules, Lightsworns' end phase mill effect will activate again in the same End Phase, does this continue until LADD's charges are burned?

No, because Effect Veiler sends itself to the grave as a cost.

However, a card such as The Fabled Chawa or Treeborn Frog can exhaust LaDD.

The LS ruling is false, to my knowledge. Each LS will go off once, be stopped, and then life will move on.

• Replies 16.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Lightsworn are mandatory "during Phase X" effects. Since LADD negates activation, those effects will attempt to activate again, because they have to activate during the End Phase. If they were restricted to once per turn, or if LADD just negated the effect, and not the activation, then they'd only apply once, fail, and life moves on.

If you use Amarylease and then on the same turn acitivate the effect of Mausoleum of the emperor, does the effect of Amarylease affect the life point cost of Mausoleum (eg would a level 7 or higher monster only cost 1000?)

I think you can. Amarylease says you can Normal Summon a monster for 1 less Tribute, and Mausoleum costs 1000 LP per required Tribute.

Though you still can't do it with cards like Obelisk, which specifically must use 3 Tributes to Normal Summon.

If I have Remove Brainwashing face-up and I Special Summon Silent Wobbegong, which player draws?

Wobbegong will trigger after Brainwashing swaps him to you. You will draw.

EDIT: Question about Rainbow Kuriboh. Can it use its revival effect on the same Chain as Battle Fader?

I think you can. Amarylease says you can Normal Summon a monster for 1 less Tribute, and Mausoleum costs 1000 LP per required Tribute.

Though you still can't do it with cards like Obelisk, which specifically must use 3 Tributes to Normal Summon.

I am fairly certain that you cannot combine the effects of both cards.  You're either using the effect of Amarylease to Normal Summon with 1 Less Tribute or you're using the effect of Mausoleum and paying 2000 Life Points.

Added to this, the newest wording of Mausoleum states the "x the number of tributes normally needed", meaning its strictly based on its level for determining the required number of tributes.

I have a question regarding an hypothetical effect I gave to a card I made.

"When this card declares an attack: Draw 1 card, and if you do, reveal it, then this card is unaffected by your opponent's cards of the same type as the revealed card, until your opponent's End Phase."

Now, the question is:

If I activate this effect and the card on the top on my Deck happens to be a Trap Card, but my opponent answers to the attack with Mirror Force, what happens then:

a. I draw first with the effect, and by revealing the Trap the monster will be unaffected by Mirror Force?

or

b. Mirror Force resolves first, destroying my monster, and then I get the card draw through this effect?

I ask because I don't know how effects that trigger on attack declaration work: Do they start a chain?, can they chain to other effects that activate at that time (in this case, Mirror Force chains to this effect)?

Based on your hypothetical card's wording, the draw/reveal is not a cost. It happens at the effect's resolution.

Your card attacks, and activates as Link 1.

If they chain Mirror Force to your effect, Mirror Force fully resolves as Link 2, before you ever draw.

If they don't chain Mirror Force, or any card that specifically activates at attack declaration, your effect will fully resolve and it'll be immune to Traps due to a Trap being on top of the Deck.

I see.

So, if I want the monster to become unaffected by a chained Mirror Force if a Trap Card is revealed, how should I write the effect, without resorting to an Ancient Gear clause? Would it work that way if it was a continuous effect, similar to "Star Eater"?

You could write it as a Mandatory Continuous Effect

Each time this card declares an attack, draw 1 card and reveal it, and this card is unaffected by your opponent's cards of the same type as the revealed card until your opponent's End Phase.

which would draw before Mirror Force can activate,

or as an optional Quick Effect like Galaxy-Eyes

During your Battle Step, when this card is attacking: You can draw 1 card and reveal it, then this card is unaffected by your opponent's cards of the same type as the revealed card until your opponent's End Phase.

...but in that case if you wait to respond to Mirror Force and it doesn't come, you won't get to draw. I think.

So apparently Geargiarmor's effect doesn't reset when flipped facedown?

Which effect?

If Geararmor is somehow flipped up twice in the same turn, it can search twice. However, it cannot flip itself facedown twice in the same turn by its own effect, the same as cards like Des Lacooda or Stealth Bird. This is presumably because while flipping facedown normally resets once-per-turn effects, these cards are ruled to remember that they used that effect, even though they are facedown, because it's that effect that put them in that state.

Which effect?

If Geararmor is somehow flipped up twice in the same turn, it can search twice. However, it cannot flip itself facedown twice in the same turn by its own effect, the same as cards like Des Lacooda or Stealth Bird. This is presumably because while flipping facedown normally resets once-per-turn effects, these cards are ruled to remember that they used that effect, even though they are facedown, because it's that effect that put them in that state.

I have heard this ruling both ways and would really like a recent official source...

I have heard this ruling both ways and would really like a recent official source...

Welcome to yugioh, where you aren't likely to get a recent official source. We pretty much only have the fact that it's worded like the others and those are ruled to be unable to use its effect again.

According to Pojo, however, the ruling is on the Official OCG Site, and they say it says that said effect can't be used again.

If a monster that says "Must first be Special summoned by..." is used as a XYZ material and then sent to the graveyard, can that monster be SS'ed from the graveyard?

(eg, "Gladiator Beast Gyzarus" is used for XYZ summon of "Constellar Ptolemy M7" and then detached for M7's effect. Can that Gyzarus be ss'ed by Call of the haunted?)

If a monster that says "Must first be Special summoned by..." is used as a XYZ material and then sent to the graveyard, can that monster be SS'ed from the graveyard?

(eg, "Gladiator Beast Gyzarus" is used for XYZ summon of "Constellar Ptolemy M7" and then detached for M7's effect. Can that Gyzarus be ss'ed by Call of the haunted?)

Yes.

Archived