Yu-Gi-Oh! Rulings Questions

Can Serial Spell copy Rank-Up-Magic The Seventh One's effect? just curious

No, because the effect is Once per Duel.

Actually, theoretically you can. Serial Spell keeps its name, but copies the effect. It's considered the effect of Serial Spell, not RUM - The Seventh One. Therefore, there's no conflict with The Seventh One's "once per Duel" clause.

• Replies 16.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The only slight uncertainty I have is because the Seventh One has a really weird wording and since it's not officially released yet, there aren't any rulings. However, I'm 99% sure that there is no conflict with Serial Spell, as Serial Spell only copies the effect, not costs or activation conditions.

Tsukuyomi (or any spirit monster) vs. Fiendish Chain

Does the monster return to hand during End Phase?

What about vs. Veiler? I'm assuming with Veiler it does b/c the effect is mandatory so it would continuously try to resolve until Veiler's effect resolves, but the other one is less clear

No. The Spirit monsters' effects are being negated as long as it's affected by Chain.

With Veiler, the turn player can either activate the Spirit monster's "return to hand" (it'll be negated), or pass priority to the opponent to resolve their End Phase effects (Veiler, etc). The opponent can pass priority back, if they wish, and force Turn Player to resolve their End Phase effects first.

In short, the user of Veiler essentially decides whether the Spirit will be negated or not.

If I flip Jigen Bakudan face-up and give it away via Creature Swap, is it legit to work during your opponent's (current controller's) Standby Phase?
Is the effect even mandatory? (really really old lore).

If it does work, how does the burn work?

Does it happen when in the Graveyard and give your opponent burn for their own monsters destroyed, or do I still take the damage?
And is it treated as my or my opponent's damage?

If I flip Jigen Bakudan face-up and give it away via Creature Swap, is it legit to work during your opponent's (current controller's) Standby Phase?

Is the effect even mandatory? (really really old lore).

If it does work, how does the burn work?

Does it happen when in the Graveyard and give your opponent burn for their own monsters destroyed, or do I still take the damage?

And is it treated as my or my opponent's damage?

Jigen is a really weird, old card.

From what I gather, Jigen Bakudan will activate during the Standby Phase of whichever player happens to control it during that Standby Phase. If you switch it to your opponent, it should activate during the opponent's Standby Phase.

Tributing it to destroy all monsters is a mandatory effect. You must do it, if possible.

If swapped to your opponent, you will take the damage, because the effect that destroys monsters and inflicts burn is activated from your opponent's Field. It is their effect destroying cards and inflicting damage. It judges the amount of damage based on their ATK on the Field.

Jigen is a really weird, old card.

From what I gather, Jigen Bakudan will activate during the Standby Phase of whichever player happens to control it during that Standby Phase. If you switch it to your opponent, it should activate during the opponent's Standby Phase.

Tributing it to destroy all monsters is a mandatory effect. You must do it, if possible.

If swapped to your opponent, you will take the damage, because the effect that destroys monsters and inflicts burn is activated from your opponent's Field. It is their effect destroying cards and inflicting damage. It judges the amount of damage based on their ATK on the Field.

I couldn't have asked for a better outcome. Thank you.

Can you use chain dog if you control more than 2 beasties?

Yes. To Special Summon Chain Dog, you need to control 2 or more Beast-Types.

This contradicts the TCG ruling from Starstrike Blast:

"You must control exactly 2 face-up Beast-Type monsters. If you do not control exactly 2 Beast-Type monsters when this card’s effect resolves, it will not be Special Summoned."

This contradicts the TCG ruling from Starstrike Blast:

"You must control exactly 2 face-up Beast-Type monsters. If you do not control exactly 2 Beast-Type monsters when this card’s effect resolves, it will not be Special Summoned."

Hmm...strange. Usually cards that require an exact number explicitly say "exactly X", such as Dark Armed Dragon.

No. It must first be Special Summoned by X method. It cannot be Normal Summoned/Set at all.

Wouldn't that be dependant on if it says "CAnnot be Normal Summoned/Set" though?

I mean granted I don't think any "Must first be SS" text doesn't have that, but I remember people thought Peryton couldn't be Normal Summoned either but that was proved wrong.

Wouldn't that be dependant on if it says "CAnnot be Normal Summoned/Set" though?

I mean granted I don't think any "Must first be SS" text doesn't have that, but I remember people thought Peryton couldn't be Normal Summoned either but that was proved wrong.

Peryton just says that it "can't be special summoned, except [...]".

But yeah, currently the only monsters that say that they "must first" be summoned either say "can't be normal summoned/set" or have a non-orange card color (which inherently can't be Normal Summoned/Set). This makes sense anyway; if a card could be Normal Summoned, I doubt its wording would have the phrase "Must [first] be special summoned [...]".

When they changed the card texts, one hope was to make things less wordy. Rather than saying "Cannot be Normal Summoned or Set. Can only be SSed by X", they changed it to "Must first be SSed by X" and added "and cannot be SSed by other ways" if it was a Nomi.

There are cards that can be Normal Summoned or Set, but have an alternative way of Special Summoning them, such as Galaxy-Eyes Photon Dragon. Galaxy-Eyes doesn't say that it MUST be SSed by Tributing 2 monsters with 2000 ATK or less. It just says that you can do that.

When they changed the card texts, one hope was to make things less wordy. Rather than saying "Cannot be Normal Summoned or Set. Can only be SSed by X", they changed it to "Must first be SSed by X" and added "and cannot be SSed by other ways" if it was a Nomi.

The problem with this is that you aren't actually inferring anything from them. If they don't say they cannot be Normal Summoned, they should be Normal Summonable.

And also all cards that say "Must first be SS'd by x" also include the "Cannot be Normal Summoned or Set" bit, so I don't see how you're logic is working...(no offense of course just trying to get things straight)

The problem with this is that you aren't actually inferring anything from them. If they don't say they cannot be Normal Summoned, they should be Normal Summonable.

And also all cards that say "Must first be SS'd by x" also include the "Cannot be Normal Summoned or Set" bit, so I don't see how you're logic is working...(no offense of course just trying to get things straight)

This might be easier if you give me a specific example of a card that says "Must first" but doesn't include "Cannot be Normal Summoned/Set". I just checked on DN, searching for the phrase "Must first be Special..." in card descriptions. Every card that uses the phrase "Must first be Special Summoned by X" state that the card cannot be Normal Summoned/Set, or are Extra Deck cards, which obviously cannot be Normal Summoned/Set.

My example was showing that some cards have Special Summoning methods, but aren't actually forced to be Special Summoned by that method, such as Galaxy-Eyes. Those cards will say "You can Special Summon this card by X" without restricting Normal Summons or Sets.

If a card says "Must first be SSed by X" (keyword: Must), then it will not be able to be Normal Summoned or Set.

If it's a custom card using the phrase "Must first be SSed by X", it needs to include the "Cannot be NSed/Set" clause, otherwise it should read "You can Special Summon this card by X", rather than "Must first".

This might be easier if you give me a specific example of a card that says "Must first" but doesn't include "Cannot be Normal Summoned/Set". I just checked on DN, searching for the phrase "Must first be Special..." in card descriptions. Every card that uses the phrase "Must first be Special Summoned by X" state that the card cannot be Normal Summoned/Set, or are Extra Deck cards, which obviously cannot be Normal Summoned/Set.

That was exactly my point >>

He's asking if a card says "Must first be SS'd by" but does NOT include the "Cannot be Normal Summoned/Set" part.

But right now we have nothing to base this off of.

If it's a custom card using the phrase "Must first be SSed by X", it needs to include the "Cannot be NSed/Set" clause, otherwise it should read "You can Special Summon this card by X", rather than "Must first".

But neither of those would work the same way. If he wants it Normal Summonable but it can't be SS'd until it's SS'd properly, there is literally no other way to put it.

So he wants a Normal Summonable monster that also acts as a Semi-Nomi? Those two ideas inherently conflict with each other.

A Normal Summonable monster that has a summoning restriction but can be summoned after that restrictions met

I mean we have Peryton, a Normal SUmmonable monster that acts as a Nomi.

A Normal Summonable monster that has a summoning restriction but can be summoned after that restrictions met

I mean we have Peryton, a Normal SUmmonable monster that acts as a Nomi.

Peryton restricts by what method it can be SSed. It doesn't have a Summoning Condition. You're not required to Special Summon it by a certain method.

The impression I'm getting is the desired effect has a specific Summoning condition, but after fulfilling that method, you can SS it by any means (Semi-Nomi), opposed to a specific Summoning Condition, but cannot be SSed by other methods, even if properly Summoned first (Nomi). Peryton is neither of these. It's a monster that cannot be SSed by any means except a certain range of effects, which is dependent on other cards having such effects.

Except the custom card wants to be Normal Summonable in addition to having the Semi-Nomi qualities, and that's what conflicts.

Archived