Yu-Gi-Oh! Rulings Questions

No.

Does the effect of Phantom Knights Shadow Veil that does not treat it as a Trap Card only apply when it is treated as a monster? What happens if it gets flipped face-down while it is a monster?

Yes, it's only "not a Trap Card" when it is a monster Summoned by its effect. Flipping it facedown does not change the fact it is only considered a monster card with the indicated stats. It will be Set as a monster card, and will still be considered a monster with the listed stats when it is flipped back up.

• Replies 16.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Can you activate Ghostrick Lantern's effect of "When an opponent's monster declares a direct attack, or when a "Ghostrick" monster you control is targeted for an attack" if it is face-down but was a one point face-up? Both players would know it is a Ghostrick monster.

The game doesn't give any fucks about whether the monster was once known or not. If it is face down, it is not public knowledge and unknown.

Do we know for certain yet whether or not Saber Reflect can be activated if I take battle damage from a battle in which my only X-Saber monster is destroyed? (Say, for a random example, crashing Emmersblade (which is the only monster I control) into an opponent's Silent Honor ARK)

Do we know for certain yet whether or not Saber Reflect can be activated if I take battle damage from a battle in which my only X-Saber monster is destroyed? (Say, for a random example, crashing Emmersblade (which is the only monster I control) into an opponent's Silent Honor ARK)

You should be able to, as your X-Saber is still on the Field at the timing when you took the damage.

I stumbled upon "Legendary Flame Lord" and now I am wondering about the following:

Would that monster gain a Spell Counter when a Spell Card is activated in the Graveyard (Diamond Core, the second effect of "Ritual of Grace", etc.)?

I stumbled upon "Legendary Flame Lord" and now I am wondering about the following:

Would that monster gain a Spell Counter when a Spell Card is activated in the Graveyard (Diamond Core, the second effect of "Ritual of Grace", etc.)?

I'd assume no on the basis that the card in the Grave is NOT activating, only its effect is.

Think Diamond Dude or Breakthrough Skill v Herald of Perfection.

I apologize for double post but I got another question.

I was watching a duel on DN when an issue showed up regarding fast effects & timing, and they posted a link to this page as a reference. I was reading the chart when I remember than once in a duel, during the opponent's Main Phase 1, I activated Compulsory preemptively before the opponent used whatever he had on the field for a Tribute Summon, and the opponent almost simultaneously activated Night Beam targeting that Compulsory, but still I beat him for a second, if not less.

Just to be sure: following the rules on fast effects & timing, wasn't I unable to activate Compulsory in the first place since it was an open game state and the opponent had the priority, so to speak, of using its Spell Speed 1 cards and Ignition Effects first?

I apologize for double post but I got another question.

I was watching a duel on DN when an issue showed up regarding fast effects & timing, and they posted a link to this page as a reference. I was reading the chart when I remember than once in a duel, during the opponent's Main Phase 1, I activated Compulsory preemptively before the opponent used whatever he had on the field for a Tribute Summon, and the opponent almost simultaneously activated Night Beam targeting that Compulsory, but still I beat him for a second, if not less.

Just to be sure: following the rules on fast effects & timing, wasn't I unable to activate Compulsory in the first place since it was an open game state and the opponent had the priority, so to speak, of using its Spell Speed 1 cards and Ignition Effects first?

DN is really tricky with gamestate and priority rules due to how indirect the medium is, and how there isn't anything in place to restrict specific actions at certain times. (For example, drawing a card in the Draw Phase, then immediately proceeding to Main Phase, despite the Standby Phase needing to be passed through). 

You could use Compulsory during the Standby Phase (best to announce that you're doing so), but not during the Main Phase if he hasn't performed any actions (including Setting cards).

If Scarm, Malebranche of the Burning Abyss is sent to the graveyard, then is special summoned back to the field, does its effect still activate at the end phase, regardless of where it is at that point?

No, it most likely works the same way as XX-Saber Darksoul (the wording is the same), in that it has to be in the Graveyard during the End Phase to activate.

Otherwise, it'd be worded something like "If this card is sent to the Graveyard: During the End Phase..."

^ You think someone tried to pull one over on me after using Wolfbark to SS BOTFFB (Brotherhood of the Fire Fist-Bear). Which reminds me. When Wolfbark leaves the field after/the turn of using its ability does it still negate any monster SS by its effect? I'm sure its yes, but just to be sure. 

^ You think someone tried to pull one over on me after using Wolfbark to SS BOTFFB (Brotherhood of the Fire Fist-Bear). Which reminds me. When Wolfbark leaves the field after/the turn of using its ability does it still negate any monster SS by its effect? I'm sure its yes, but just to be sure. 

The negation part is not a continuous effect, it will still be negated if Wolfbark leaves the field

however,  The Monarchs Stormforth cannot be activated if you do not control any monster, right?

But then you still cannot use its effect properly since you're not going to be tributing you own monster if you don't control any, so you will not be able to tribute your opponent's one, right?

You may activate Monarchs Stormforth during either turn. It does not target, but rather permits you to use one of your opponent's monsters as one of the Tributes should you perform a Tribute Summon. If you do not perform a Tribute Summon that turn, nothing happens. You are not required to perform a Tribute Summon that turn, nor do you need to control any monsters at the time of activation.

So again, you don't need monsters on the Field to use Monarchs Stormforth. You can Tribute one of your opponent's monsters as if you controlled that monster, but only for a Tribute Summon. If you need 2 monsters for the Tribute Summon, you must use one of yours in addition to the opponents'.

You may activate Monarchs Stormforth during either turn. It does not target, but rather permits you to use one of your opponent's monsters as one of the Tributes should you perform a Tribute Summon. If you do not perform a Tribute Summon that turn, nothing happens. You are not required to perform a Tribute Summon that turn, nor do you need to control any monsters at the time of activation.

So again, you don't need monsters on the Field to use Monarchs Stormforth. You can Tribute one of your opponent's monsters as if you controlled that monster, but only for a Tribute Summon. If you need 2 monsters for the Tribute Summon, you must use one of yours in addition to the opponents'.

Oh, so i can tribute my opp. monsters even if i don't control any, this means that Soul Exchange is completely outclassed now

Question on hypotetical effect.

Let's say a monster has the following effect:

This card cannot destroyed by battle if it would be banished at the end of the Damage Step.

The idea is to protect the monster from being destroyed by battle while cards like Macro or D.Fissure are active. Is this the correct effect for that purpose, or should I be using a different effect or OCG?

Archived