Yu-Gi-Oh! Rulings Questions

Link Monsters don't create Extra Monster Zones. The two Extra Monster Zones near the centre of the field are the only ones there are. You can Special Summon monsters from the Extra Deck to a Main Monster Zone that a Link Monster points to, but it doesn't make that zone an Extra Monster Zone.

I don't understand your question. If it's a Main Monster Zone that a Link Monster points to, you can Special Summon monsters from the Extra Deck to it. If you use a Link Monster as Material for a Special Summon from the Extra Deck, you can't Special Summon to a Main Monster Zone it pointed at when it was on the field if no other Link Monster is pointing to that zone.

I don't understand what you're asking with your screenshot either. That configuration is absolutely possible, provided there was a Link Monster that pointed to the Main Monster Zone that Proxy Dragon is currently in when Proxy Dragon was Link Summoned. But say you only controlled Firewall Dragon. In that case, you could only Link Summon Proxy Dragon directly underneath Firewall Dragon. The Main Monster Zone Proxy Dragon currently occupies in your screenshot doesn't have any Link Monster pointing to it.

Even though you didn't understand my question, you answered it. 

1) I wasn't talking literally when I said extra EMZ. I meant zones where extra deck mons could go

2) I was asking if the link monster in the extra zone has to point to the link in the MMZ in order to "divert the circuit" of the Extra deck, since my understanding of how they functioned was that they flowed in a sort of "circuit" starting at the EMZ and going outwards depending on the link points. 

• Replies 16.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

2) I was asking if the link monster in the extra zone has to point to the link in the MMZ in order to "divert the circuit" of the Extra deck, since my understanding of how they functioned was that they flowed in a sort of "circuit" starting at the EMZ and going outwards depending on the link points.

Oh I see, so you thought Kyubi couldn't be Pendulum Summoned next to Proxy Dragon because Proxy Dragon's arrows weren't "active" due to Firewall Dragon not pointing to it.

That's interesting. :3

How does Ultimate Conductor Tyranno's effect work against Links and monsters that can't be set such as Tokens?

It simply doesn't apply to them. (Tokens aren't changed to Defense Position either.)

If your opponent controls no face-up monsters that can be Set, you can't activate Ultimate Conductor Tyranno's Quick Effect.

My opponent normal summons Zoodiac Ratpier and attempts to activate the effect. I respond to the summon with Chain Disappearance. How will the chain resolve? Will Chain Disappearance banish all Ratpiers first or will Ratpier send a Zoodiac card to the grave first?

See pages 40, 42 and/or 43 of the rulebook (ver. 9.1).

Some clarifying information​: Both Ratpier's Trigger Effect and Chain Disappearance are activated in response to Ratpier's Normal Summon, the former as Chain Link 1 and the latter as Chain Link 2. Your opponent attempts to activate Ratpier's Trigger Effect and succeeds in doing so as CL1 (but it doesn't resolve yet) before you get the opportunity to activate Chain Disappearance as CL2. Effects that trigger get to activate first, then fast effects get to activate next.

• 2 weeks later...

I was bored so I thought of this hypothetical ruling question:

Player A is going to take double damage the next time they take damage because of Player B's http://yugioh.wikia.com/wiki/The_Legendary_Fisherman_III

Also, Player A has activated the effect of http://yugioh.wikia.com/wiki/Damage_Diet to halve effect damage.

Finally, Player A controls http://yugioh.wikia.com/wiki/Performage_Trapeze_Magician with 2500 current ATK.

If Player B uses Magic Cylinder on Player A's Blue-Eyes White Dragon, in what order are the damage modifiers applied?

This matters because if Trapeze Magician's modifier is first or last, damage is inflicted, but if its after halving the damage, you apply trapeze magician it becomes 0 and 0 * 2 = 0.

I know this is about as likely to matter as the Exodia vs Relay Soul case that someone asked about ages ago but I was curious.

I was bored so I thought of this hypothetical ruling question:

Player A is going to take double damage the next time they take damage because of Player B's http://yugioh.wikia.com/wiki/The_Legendary_Fisherman_III

Also, Player A has activated the effect of http://yugioh.wikia.com/wiki/Damage_Diet to halve effect damage.

Finally, Player A controls http://yugioh.wikia.com/wiki/Performage_Trapeze_Magician with 2500 current ATK.

If Player B uses Magic Cylinder on Player A's Blue-Eyes White Dragon, in what order are the damage modifiers applied?

This matters because if Trapeze Magician's modifier is first or last, damage is inflicted, but if its after halving the damage, you apply trapeze magician it becomes 0 and 0 * 2 = 0.

I know this is about as likely to matter as the Exodia vs Relay Soul case that someone asked about ages ago but I was curious.

The damage Magic Cylinder inflicts is both doubled and halved, so it inflicts 3000 damage as usual, which is more than Trapeze Magician's 2500 ATK. Player A takes 3000 damage.

The Ultra polymerization -Starving venom rulings applies only in ocg or tcg as well?

You can't target Starving Venom Fusion Dragon with Ultra Poly's effect in any of the CGs.

• 3 weeks later...

How do multi-attribute monsters such as Dark Simorgh work against Gozen Match? Do I get to choose which one of the 2 attributes I can control or does the second sentence in Gozen Match send them to the grave?

"Elemental Mistress Doriado", "Light and Darkness Dragon", and "Dark Simorgh" will always be sent to the Graveyard by "Gozen Match". However, since it only has one Attribute while in the hand/Graveyard or while face-down on the field, it can still be Normal/Special/Flip Summoned (however, it will immediately be sent to the Graveyard).

Always check the ruling pages on the wikia before asking, they typically have your answers:

http://yugioh.wikia.com/wiki/Card_Rulings:Gozen_Match

What resets the negation of a monster's effects?

For example, if the effects of a monster is negated once by an activated effect, but it is temporarily banished, once it returns to the field, is its effects still negated, or is it now active again? 

I'm pretty sure face-down monsters can't have effects negated, so flipping them face-up lets them have their effects again (correct me if I'm wrong), but I'm not sure about banishing, sending to the GY, returning to the hand/Deck and resummoning etc.

What resets the negation of a monster's effects?

For example, if the effects of a monster is negated once by an activated effect, but it is temporarily banished, once it returns to the field, is its effects still negated, or is it now active again? 

I'm pretty sure face-down monsters can't have effects negated, so flipping them face-up lets them have their effects again (correct me if I'm wrong), but I'm not sure about banishing, sending to the GY, returning to the hand/Deck and resummoning etc.

If a monster is flipped face-down or leaves the field (not exhaustive but close to it), its effects aren't negated anymore. Note that this doesn't necessarily mean an effect, activated by a monster that had its effects negated, won't be negated if the monster leaves the field before it resolves.

If a monster is flipped face-down or leaves the field (not exhaustive but close to it), its effects aren't negated anymore. Note that this doesn't necessarily mean an effect, activated by a monster that had its effects negated, won't be negated if the monster leaves the field before it resolves.

Thanks.

Quick follow up: If an activated monster effect is negated (not the activation), does it stay negated in that chain even if the monster is flipped face-down (or otherwise unnegated)?

Thanks.

Quick follow up: If an activated monster effect is negated (not the activation), does it stay negated in that chain even if the monster is flipped face-down (or otherwise unnegated)?

Could you give a specific example (using named cards)? 

If starving venom manages to copy the effect of cosmic blazar dragon (somehow) and use it, will it come back or it will stay banished?

same question with a card like psy frame omega since one banishes for cost and the other for effect. Want to know if there could be a difference in the result or its irrelevant

Could you give a specific example (using named cards)?

I'm trying to figure this out for some custom cards that I'm making, so I didn't have a specific TCG example in mind. Not that this would plausibly happen, but just for theory:

Alsei, the Sylvan High Protector activates effect to excavate a card.

Book of Moon is chained to it.

Odd-Eyes Persona Dragon chains its effect and targets Alsei.

Chain resolves.

I'm curious if Alsei's effect is negated before it's actually flipped face-down, whether or not it stays negated when it resolves. 

Another slightly different hypothetical scenario:

Cyber Gymnast is summoned by Elder Entity Norden's effect and has its effects negated.

It activates its effects (since Norden does not prevent activation) you discard and target 1 of your opponent's monsters.

Chain resolves.

I'm trying to figure this out for some custom cards that I'm making, so I didn't have a specific TCG example in mind. Not that this would plausibly happen, but just for theory:

Alsei, the Sylvan High Protector activates effect to excavate a card.

Odd-Eyes Persona Dragon chains its effect and targets Alsei.

Chain resolves.

I'm curious if Alsei's effect is negated before it's actually flipped face-down, whether or not it stays negated when it resolves. 

Another slightly different hypothetical scenario:

Cyber Gymnast is summoned by Elder Entity Norden's effect and has its effects negated.

It activates its effects (since Norden does not prevent activation) you discard and target 1 of your opponent's monsters.

Chain resolves.

In both cases the effect should resolve, a face down monster cannot have its effect negated, so it should work on both examples. I could be wrong though, but thats how i see it, as long as the monster is no longer face up on the field to be affected by those cards when it is its turn in the chain to resolve it should be fine.This will not work on monsters that leave the field for cost

• 2 weeks later...

Does having multiple copies of Madolche Chouxvalier face-up on your field have the same effect as multiple Magician's Valkyria?

nope.

See how Valk has the text

except this one.

whereas Chouxvalier says

except "Madolche Chouxvalier".

Chouxvalier's text means that even if you control multiple Chouxvalier, your opponent can target any of them for attacks, since they aren't protecting each other.

I understand why trigger effects cannot activate while a chain is resolving, but why can they not activate while a chain is being built? An example is Dante detaching Graff to mill.

No you can't, activating Dante's effect would cause the Graff to activate after it resolved, anyone who told you that was possible is wrong. Dante is an Ignition Effect, meaning you choose when you activate it, so it doesn't have a trigger condition, and thus any Trigger Effects would activate after the Chain has resolved.

No you can't, activating Dante's effect would cause the Graff to activate after it resolved, anyone who told you that was possible is wrong. Dante is an Ignition Effect, meaning you choose when you activate it, so it doesn't have a trigger condition, and thus any Trigger Effects would activate after the Chain has resolved.

Cake isn't asking if you can chain Graff to Dante, they're asking why you can't.

The reason to which is because it's the rules of the game.

Cake isn't asking if you can chain Graff to Dante, they're asking why you can't.

The reason to which is because it's the rules of the game.

Correct on the first point, but I'd like to ask for additional clarification on "the rules of the game". is this just classic BKSS, or is there a finer point that I'm missing here?

Correct on the first point, but I'd like to ask for additional clarification on "the rules of the game". is this just classic BKSS, or is there a finer point that I'm missing here?

Well trigger effects are Spell Speed 1, so the only way that they can be Chain Link 2 or higher is through SEGOC.

It's not BKSS. It's just how trigger effects have always worked. Say you Tribute Sangan with Enemy Controller, Enemy Controller's chain resolves, and then Sangan activates. Saying that that is BKSS is like saying that 1 Normal Summon per turn is BKSS, because they both are literally because Konami says so, just not in the colloquial sense.

Archived