[RESULTS ARE FINAL] 2016 Election for President of the United States | Donald Trump Victory

cr47t

"If they want to violate my country and disrespect that friendship, then I don't care how hard Trump squeezes Mexico. Anyway you make it sound like it's not constantly going on. Where the sanctions against Russia wrong? What about North Korea?

We economically squeezed them to stop them from doing what they wanted to do."

Squeeze a country to do something they don't want to do vs squeeze a country for doing something bad. Simplistic, yes.

North Korea is squeezed because their government's nuclear program is a threat to everyone else. Russia is squeezed because their government took Crimea from Ukraine and has allegedly supported rebels in East Ukraine. So, you are saying Mexico should be grouped together with them for not wanting to pay for a wall?

Look at it from a differently perspective. Russia was punished for supporting a part of Ukraine that wanted to be a part of Russia after Ukraine threw out their leader. If the we cared so much about preserving the quo we should have also words for the exile of the governing entity. Did we? Nope.

As for NK. They're incompetent, they could never violate the United States even if they wanted to. 

Mexico on the other hand is infiltrating our sovereign borders. That's spitting on our face much more Russia taking back their rightful property, or NK doing what they do best, failing.

Don't kid yourself, we squeeze for many reason, it's just my current government has some misguided sense of pity for the illegals, so they haven't gone on that angle yet

I'm saying Mexico should be punished for insulting my country and being shameless about fixing that mistake. 

There's a difference between squeezing countries that are a threat to the safety of the rest of the world, and to the very liberty of other countries, and squeezing a country to make them finance a wall to 'stop' illegal immigration? A wall that isn't for there benefit, and if anything is just abig symbol saying 'You are inferior to us'. The sanctions on Russia and NK work to prevent a war. Sanctions on Mexico are just bullying for the sake of bullying. 

That's the exact sort of thing that would radicalise a country against you. Not maybe religious radicalisation, but political sure? Do you think it's a shock that in times of poor economy right wing parties screaming about immigrants being a source of problems do better? All it takes is the right man stroking the right idea, and you get a new country out to make the US suffer. 

Which is ironic because it is what is happening in the US now. Poor economy, and people are being convinced to blame thescary outside world, and to bully them into submission to make 'out country great again'. I hate to be the one to say this, but the parallels to the build up of Nazi Germany are not uncanny. 

Even the war on Terror is an example of this kind of fear-mongering bullshit. It's been so wildly blown out of proportion by now people are over-looking the wider domestic issues. 

Mexico could not damage the United States if they wanted to. And that fact that you think that they're capable of such an initiative vs the US is all the more reason we should protect our vulnerable underbelly

Unlike Nazi Germany, we're not trying to purge any legal population our of land, we want to cut down on criminals, pure and simple. Trump, unlike the more hardlined Cruz, is even willing to let a majority of them back in.

As for being better, a display of power is needed every once in a while. In most objective senses, the United States is worlds above Mexico, and they have disrespected us over and over from El Chapo to now this wall. They need to be put in their place and it will happen one way or another.

Please don't make it seem like other countries don't give displays of their power from time to time. As some from an immigrant family, what my country is tolerating currently is shameful to everyone who had to struggle to legally reach this land

The War on Terror is simple. Every American life is sacred and priceless, an attack on one of us, is an attack on us all. I don't care if if one American was murdered by Daesh, that's grounds for their extermination.

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Winter, we don't need a wall to stop the illegal immigration. In fact, building the wall can not only stop illegal immigration (in theory,) but can also place a halt on legal immigration too, so even those going through the progress are stuck there. It is not the fault of the entirety of Mexico for all the crap going on at the border; only a portion of people are actually participating in that. So punishing an entire country to the point where loads of innocent people are dropping and starving, just because of the actions of a small portion of that population, is wrong.

If you really want to solve the problems with Mexico do it in a more diplomatic manner instead of a tyrannical manner. Put harder immigration policies and laws instead of a physical barrier, and take care to enforce those new policies and laws. You don't punish them if they're not a threat to national security; that's bullying.

(Btw how do you think Mexico has insulted the US? I'd like to know why you think that)

Trump's economic policies are atrocious and incredibly simplistic and he's never actually been asked any really difficult questions on economic policy, which is far more important than the emotion-fuelled issues that everyone's shouting about like IS and illegal immigration which realistically are drop in the ocean (maybe immigration a little less so) compared to stuff like taxation and public spending, the effects of which are what's really going to be felt in households. Almost all I hear about regarding Trump is IS this and wall that and it just makes it incredibly difficult for me to take him seriously as a politician because there's far more to politics than what Trump is proposing. He's just playing on xenophobia, fear of the establishment and a lack of education among voters on political matters.

Winter, we don't need a wall to stop the illegal immigration. In fact, building the wall can not only stop illegal immigration (in theory,) but can also place a halt on legal immigration too, so even those going through the progress are stuck there. It is not the fault of the entirety of Mexico for all the crap going on at the border; only a portion of people are actually participating in that. So punishing an entire country to the point where loads of innocent people are dropping and starving, just because of the actions of a small portion of that population, is wrong.

If you really want to solve the problems with Mexico do it in a more diplomatic manner instead of a tyrannical manner. Put harder immigration policies and laws instead of a physical barrier, and take care to enforce those new policies and laws. You don't punish them if they're not a threat to national security; that's bullying.

(Btw how do you think Mexico has insulted the US? I'd like to know why you think that)

Mexico ain't my country. I have no allegiance to it's government nor is my concern with their people?

You're kidding right? The US ask for El Chapo's extradition, and he escapes from Mexico's top prison. There's clear government involvement there. They're snubbing their nose at us.

Why hasn't Mexico attempted to secure their end of the border? They don't funking care that we're bothered by the people walking right in. 

As for legal immigration, a wall would limit the areas of entry, you could still bottle neck the immigration problem such that there would be only certain areas you could enter through or the need for air and naval transit instead of 1000 mile open border

Trump's economic policies are atrocious and incredibly simplistic and he's never actually been asked any really difficult questions on economic policy, which is far more important than the emotion-fuelled issues that everyone's shouting about like IS and illegal immigration which realistically are drop in the ocean (maybe immigration a little less so) compared to stuff like taxation and public spending, the effects of which are what's really going to be felt in households. Almost all I hear about regarding Trump is IS this and wall that and it just makes it incredibly difficult for me to take him seriously as a politician because there's far more to politics than what Trump is proposing. He's just playing on xenophobia, fear of the establishment and a lack of education among voters on political matters.

If they're so simplistic and flawed, care you explain why? Or are those just simple words of criticism. I question your political sense in regards to this election; merely 2 days ago were you not praising Romney...on a move that now is near universally accepted to have helped Trump?

Trump's taxation policy is pretty spot on too seeing he's willing to increase the taxes on big business. 

The crux of this comes back down to Guns, you brits just can't understand our right to bare arms just as you cannot understand the pain of constantly being invaded by illegals

If they're so simplistic and flawed, care you explain why? Or are those just simple words of criticism. I question your political sense in regards to this election; merely 2 days ago were you not praising Romney...on a move that now is near universally accepted to have helped Trump?

Trump's taxation policy is pretty spot on too seeing he's willing to increase the taxes on big business. 

The crux of this comes back down to Guns, you brits just can't understand our right to bare arms just as you cannot understand the pain of constantly being invaded by illegals

Umm... you are talking to a country where immigration is one of the core factors of the single biggest political issue right now. Maybe not illegal immigration, but immigration being perceived in the exact same way. Please kindly be a little more educated on a country before you try and dismiss our ability to have a discussion, and before you randomly bring guns into this for God only knows what reason. 

Trump is willing to increase the tax to what 15%? Which is still far far lower than people in that economic bracket should be paying. 40% tax wouldn't adversely effect things for the people running those companies. That's not solving wealth inequality which is why taxing big business matters. 

He's not talking about money in politics (Beyond saying I'm self financed which is actually terrifying because it means he's accountable to no one, when he should be accountable to the people), he's not really talking about the issues in American infrastructure and industry (Beyond saying he's going to what disrupt trade with China and that will magically propel the labour industry back into life?). In fact, he rarely does discuss issues, he focuses on fear mongering rhetoric. Maybe less so than Cruz, but more so than he should. 

And can you stop trying to make these discussions personal for f***s sake; Talk about the issues, don't bring our nationalities into it (Your president affects everyone globally), don't bring very personal points in. Let's just have a nice civil discussion about the issues. Admittedly this post could be more issue based than it is, but f*** it. It's worth saying. 

You've talked about one single wishy-washy point of economic policy and then turned back to talking about guns and illegal immigrants which just proves the point I was making that you're being ruled by emotional issues and ignoring the ones which are going to have the real impact on everyday lives.

Trump supports and outrageously low rate of income tax on the rich which just increases the budget deficit and increases the mountain of debt which he sees as a problem but doesn't want to solve with anything that might annoy him and his super-rich friends. He also wants to repeal Obamacare because apparently it's more important that people earning millions earn a little more than people who have a genuine need for healthcare get seen to and don't have to worry about their health. He also wants to keep the pathetically low minimum wage the same while putting tariffs on Chinese and Mexican goods which will lead to huge levels of inflation which will make everyday products unaffordable for the people stuck on the minimum wage.

And that's it - I've summarised every point of his entire economic policies in a short paragraph. His policies aren't just wrong and somewhat contradictory, they're brief and superficial with no real justification other than once again appealing to xenophobia and what I can only assume is sheer lack of education from blue-collar workers who vote Trump. Clinton, for all her flaws, has pages and pages on economic policies which go into far more detail than Trump's, which are just incredibly simplistic. 

edit: Even Ted Cruz, though his policies are funking awful, meticulously explains the logic behind his policies and uses serious (although IMO wrong) logic to justify them.

Umm... you are talking to a country where immigration is one of the core factors of the single biggest political issue right now. Maybe not illegal immigration, but immigration being perceived in the exact same way. Please kindly be a little more educated on a country before you try and dismiss our ability to have a discussion, and before you randomly bring guns into this for God only knows what reason. 

Trump is willing to increase the tax to what 15%? Which is still far far lower than people in that economic bracket should be paying. 40% tax wouldn't adversely effect things for the people running those companies. That's not solving wealth inequality which is why taxing big business matters. 

He's not talking about money in politics (Beyond saying I'm self financed which is actually terrifying because it means he's accountable to no one, when he should be accountable to the people), he's not really talking about the issues in American infrastructure and industry (Beyond saying he's going to what disrupt trade with China and that will magically propel the labour industry back into life?). In fact, he rarely does discuss issues, he focuses on fear mongering rhetoric. Maybe less so than Cruz, but more so than he should. 

And can you stop trying to make these discussions personal for f***s sake; Talk about the issues, don't bring our nationalities into it (Your president affects everyone globally), don't bring very personal points in. Let's just have a nice civil discussion about the issues. Admittedly this post could be more issue based than it is, but funk it. It's worth saying. 

I was obviously talking Illegal immigration. NO sane person has a problem with legal immigration. Hell most of us don't even have a problem with accepting the illegals after all this time, but amnesty sets a poor precedent.

Read that point again. Like guns, England has a hard time connecting to the United States on the front of Illegal immigration. That was the only point to be made there.

I will agree that he's not a perfect candidate, which is why I didn't vote for him, but the trade re-organization with Mexico, revisiting NAFTA and forging new alliances are needed. I don't think he's silly enough to believe that JUST China will fix our broken industry, but it's a much needed start.

Was 15% the highest he suggested (asking not telling), I was almost certain he was on record for higher? Also this is the primary, he needs to be a little conservative to last till he can get over the Cruz

You've talked about one single wishy-washy point of economic policy and then turned back to talking about guns and illegal immigrants which just proves the point I was making that you're being ruled by emotional issues and ignoring the ones which are going to have the real impact on everyday lives.

Trump supports and outrageously low rate of income tax on the rich which just increases the budget deficit and increases the mountain of debt which he sees as a problem but doesn't want to solve with anything that might annoy him and his super-rich friends. He also wants to repeal Obamacare because apparently it's more important that people earning millions earn a little more than people who have a genuine need for healthcare get seen to and don't have to worry about their health. He also wants to keep the pathetically low minimum wage the same while putting tariffs on Chinese and Mexican goods which will lead to huge levels of inflation which will make everyday products unaffordable for the people stuck on the minimum wage.

And that's it - I've summarised every point of his entire economic policies in a short paragraph. His policies aren't just wrong and somewhat contradictory, they're brief and superficial with no real justification other than once again appealing to xenophobia and what I can only assume is sheer lack of education from blue-collar workers who vote Trump. Clinton, for all her flaws, has pages and pages on economic policies which go into far more detail than Trump's, which are just incredibly simplistic. 

It proves nothing, because I have 1) Never backed the NRA type gun rights & 2) Only used it as an example of how there is a disconnect between the United States and the UK.

Trump's economic policy does need revisiting, ideally introduction of the 5th bracket to hit the 1% Policies like Sanders and to a lesser extant Hillary does damage to far more than the 1% in this regard.

Obamacare is flawed, the insurance companies are still making a killing. The government can't reign them in, the best to to do so is to allow infighting. Removal of state borders w/ regards to insurance companies will allow for competition to lower rates significantly.

His Tax Policies in addition with this minimum wage policies balance out (again, the problem with the 1% exists). Know why? The wage of even those people would increase, by a proportional amount to how much the MW would go down by. In addition, inflation directly corresponds to lower unemployment, as does lowering the minimum wage. Consider Infrastructure projects like the Wall and Trump will bring back the jobs in droves. Question now is would you rather have some people have jobs for a higher wage, or many more with about the same wage

Whoops, I'm wrong - he's proposing a 25% top rate of tax and a 15% rate of corporation tax. My bad, but 25% is still ridiculously low for a top rate. He does also set out his policies in more detail than I gave him credit for, but I maintain he's not covering enough ground.

I was obviously talking Illegal immigration. NO sane person has a problem with legal immigration. Hell most of us don't even have a problem with accepting the illegals after all this time, but amnesty sets a poor precedent.

Read that point again. Like guns, England has a hard time connecting to the United States on the front of Illegal immigration. That was the only point to be made there.

The issue people take with migrants here is they are unwanted people coming to OUR country, to take jobs from OUR hardworking citizens, keeping British people out of work, take advantage of OUR NHS, and to take advantage of OUR benefit system. That sound familiar to you? It's nationalistic xenophobic bullshit that dodges any of the actual social and societal issues for the sake of playing off of fears and the poorly educated. And why people want out of the EU, so we can control our borders and stop this happening.

The issue is not about legal or illegal, it's about people feeling a low income migrant workforce are a threat to them and there lifestyles, and there culture. That's not country specific, it's an extremely common political line in any right wing party, be it the Tea Party, UKIP or the NPD. 

It's nothing unique to the US. In times of economic crisis people look for someone to blame, and it's generally migrants who get the blame. So it is an issue to which basically every country in the western World can relate to the US on. 

The difference between the US and the rest of the Western World is that everywhere else doesn't have a popular candidate thinking the solution is to make another goverment finance a literal Wall to 'stop immigration' instead of looking at the social and economic issues that make it a problem in the first place. 

And obvious disclaimer; I don't believe any of the stuff spouted in the first paragraph, it's just showing that the argument is not US specific. 

Whoops, I'm wrong - he's proposing a 25% top rate of tax and a 15% rate of corporation tax. My bad, but 25% is still ridiculously low for a top rate. He does also set out his policies in more detail than I gave him credit for, but I maintain he's not covering enough ground.

I never denied that he's not covering them in enough detail, but you also have to understand he's running against people like Cruz and Rubio. The pounced on his Planned Parenthood support, how do you think they would react to him arguing for hitting the 1%, something which they are both part of?

He has historically supported hitting the rich a bit more, and that will show once he wins the primary. Any more details on this point would give Cruz all the he needs to start shrieking "liberal"

The issue is not about legal or illegal, it's about people feeling a low income migrant workforce are a threat to them and there lifestyles, and there culture. That's not country specific, it's an extremely common political line in any right wing party, be it the Tea Party, UKIP or the NPD. 

If that were so Tom, you'd see more of a debate on Work VISAs and that debate has largely been small and inconsequential. 

In fact, Trump has been the only one to hit on the corporate abuse of H1B's in such a manner that visas basically turn into pseudo-Illegal immigration

It's not even about the threat of them taking our jobs around here. That's China's doing not Mexico. It's how the trample all over the law and expect us to say all is forgiven now. If every Illegal here, re-immigrated the legal route, I and many others would have no issue with them at all

Trump's economic policies are atrocious and incredibly simplistic

All his policies are. He doesn't give a straight answer when asked if ground troops should be sent in the middle east. He openly stated that he would get involved mainly for the petroleum militants posses.

There's clear government involvement there. They're snubbing their nose at us.

The U.S. Government has been involved in the Mexican Drug war too, what's your point? Intact they are one of the reasons why its so bad.

Why hasn't Mexico attempted to secure their end of the border? They don't f***ing care that we're bothered by the people walking right in.

Believe it or not, they have a problem of illegal immigrants themselves. People from South America and Central America are coming into Mexico. Its become too much of a problem that they focus their attention there. Since the U.S. Border patrol seems to be coordinated enough. Plus, when have you seen someone waltz right through the border? Have you little faith in your Border Patrol? For decades they have worked hard in keeping illegals out and now you resort to bashing them?

. He also wants to repeal Obamacare because apparently

fine by me. One of the few things I agree with Trump on. Healthcare should never be nationalized.

Also sanctioning China is ridiculous if you believe that they created climate change as a hoax.

Also I'm not taking sides here. Although I'm not agreeing with Winter, that doesn't mean I'm hoping on the leftist bandwagon to rep posts that are meant to counter Winter's claims. I believe that it is of bad taste that people defend illegal immigration, and to think that this is coming from me, a Mexican, to tell you people this, is quite the "wake up call" to say the least.

Like guns, England has a hard time connecting to the United States on the front of Illegal immigration.

In terms of LEGAL immigration, I think that they, central, and northern European countries can relate to the U.S., the ones that don't follow the liberal status quo there at least. I'm sure those there grow tired of having little say in what their governments does and the government's attempts at censoring them.

Trump talking about illegals is ironic. Considering he hired a bunch of them down in Florida at his resort or some sheet.

And what is it with these bastards and wanting to go to war? You got money for war but can't feed the poor?

And can you stop trying to make these discussions personal for f***s sake; Talk about the issues, don't bring our nationalities into it (Your president affects everyone globally), don't bring very personal points in. Let's just have a nice civil discussion about the issues. Admittedly this post could be more issue based than it is, but f*** it. It's worth saying. 

Ok, Aerion is right, lets shut up about trump and immigration and actually focus on other world issues.

Things that the next president will have to contend with, come election day (or rather, what the candidates need to think about now)

• Dealing with climate change
  • Dealing with North Korea and other threats to our security
  • Economy
  • Whatever issues that come around affecting specific parts of the USA. 

Like Dad mentioned, we really need to get out of the Middle East. The money spent there could be better used to deal with problems at home (and yes, homelessness is an issue all over the place), and we'd rather not have more enemies abroad than we need to. 

-----

Going onto a slightly different note (and specific issues within the country), Hawai'i Republican caucuses are tomorrow (if I heard correctly). We only have 19 delegates to give out (remember that we aren't Texas or some other swing state, so it won't make much of a difference if they win/don't win ours), considering our mostly Democrat status, but it's their chance to prove to us that they deserve whatever we have to offer them.

(I have no idea when the Democrat ones are, but they aren't for a good while; that much is certain)

At best, it's probably for Kasich and Rubio to get a small bit of momentum for later (The other two are far enough that they can live without winning our delegates if it comes to it).

One of the issues those two were queried about is the matter of Hawaiian sovereignty (somewhat similar to what Native Americans have); Kasich doesn't seem to enjoy the idea of giving them their own "mini nation" or some manner of self governance, Rubio appears to be on board with granting them similar privileges as Native Americans or similar. I won't elaborate on the issue in its specifics though, but just have a basic knowledge of what happened 123 years ago [among other factors]. 

Don't know what Trump or Cruz think of the issue though; Trump may say something tomorrow on the morning news via live broadcast (but take it with a grain of salt); Cruz declined an interview, however (though one of our representatives supports him, so...).

I do know that Trump has a sizable following here though, but like with other states, there is uncertainty about Trump taking the party nomination.

Results won't be known until late tomorrow, but can only watch and see how things turn out here in terms of who gets anything. 

According to a CNN exit poll, Sanders or Clinton could easily top Trump in the general election. Does this mean it might not be so bad for him to be nominated?

The only other way to beat Trump, is to have Rubio and Kasich drop out and give Cruz their delegates, to bring Cruz over 500 delegates and putting him in the lead. Otherwise, Trump is the nominee and all I could hope for is people vote Clinton or Sanders, whoever wins the primaries, into presidency, as Trump clearly shouldn't be president.

About the Democratic race: The past Sunday, Clinton launched an attack on Sanders, mentioning that he'd voted against the money that saved the auto industry, while she voted for it. This attack did some sort of damage, drawing "ooohs" from the audience.

The only way Sanders can get a bright path ahead is for him to keep winning in the larger states like Florida(256 delegates) and Michigan(147 delegates.) Otherwise, Clinton may have this nomination in her hands.

THESE ARE MY VIEWS. IF YOU COMMENT ON THEM, PLEASE DO NOT RAGE AT ME.

Sanders: "White people dont know what it's like to be poor"

If that's not racist (and most of you ignore that you can be racist against whites), then IDK what is

Also hold your horses

http://m.huffpost.com/us/entry/trump-nearcertain-to-defe_b_9403762.html?

While not eloquently delivered, Sanders' point was that white people don't know what it's like to be a poor minority. Enticing drama is bad folks, so it us good to understand what people are trying to say.

While not eloquently delivered, Sanders' point was that white people don't know what it's like to be a poor minority. Enticing drama is bad folks, so it us good to understand what people are trying to say.

It's not drama when he's openly racist and blatantly wrong

Since the 1960s, the Census Bureau has tracked the numbers and percentages of Americans by race who have an income level that puts them at the poverty line. Here’s the most recent data, for 2014:

Category

Number in poverty

Poverty rate

Americans of all races

46.7 million

14.8 percent

White

19.7 million

10.1 percent

African-American

10.8 million

26.2 percent

Hispanic

13.1 million

23.6 percent

Asian-American

2.1 million

12.0 percent

If Hillary or Trump had said that, they'd have been eaten alive...y'all need to cut the hipocracy

This is of course ignoring the claim that blacks normally live in poverty stricken ghettos..

It's not drama when he's openly racist and blatantly wrong

Since the 1960s, the Census Bureau has tracked the numbers and percentages of Americans by race who have an income level that puts them at the poverty line. Here’s the most recent data, for 2014:

Category

Number in poverty

Poverty rate

Americans of all races

46.7 million

14.8 percent

White

19.7 million

10.1 percent

African-American

10.8 million

26.2 percent

Hispanic

13.1 million

23.6 percent

Asian-American

2.1 million

12.0 percent

If Hillary or Trump had said that, they'd have been eaten alive...y'all need to cut the hipocracy

This is of course ignoring the claim that blacks normally live in poverty stricken ghettos..

http://www.businessinsider.com/heres-median-income-in-the-us-by-race-2013-9?IR=T

Median household incomes by race from the years 1959 to 2012. Look at the relative incomes of Whites compared to the actual median, and then look at Blacksand Hispanics. 

Even the figures you showed show that a greater proportion of non whites live in poverty, it does show that Whites on the whole are better off. Which makes statements along the line he said less bullshit. There is stastical evidence that less white people are poor proportionately than other races in the US. The issue is he made it too much of a generalisation. 

Now, does that mean he should have said what he did? No, it was a poor comment to make. I've not actually watched the debate so I don't know the context it was said in, but I doubt it was said as a remark just to be racist. 

However I will say calling Sanders a racist is being ignorant, because this is a man who arrested whilst fighting for black rights in the 60's, has been a progressive in favour of equal rights for men, women, black gays, ect ect for decades. Doing so by taking one comment, a seemingly poorly phrased one, in an entire debate out of context is even worse. 

Archived