[LIVO] Dark Honest

unknown-45.png?ssl=1

LIOV-JP022 Dark Honest
Level 4 DARK Fairy Effect Monster
ATK 1100
DEF 1900
(1) Once per turn: You can return this face-up card from the field to the hand. (2) During the Damage Step, when your DARK monster battles an opponent’s monster (Quick Effect): You can send this card from your hand to the GY; that opponent’s monster loses ATK equal to its ATK, until the end of this turn.

I'm really not shocked that this card exists (inb4 Secret Rare in TCG), and it's funny I saw someone make a DARK counterpart to Honest on here on Boxing Day (and I'm sure other people had an idea for a DARK Honest at some point in the past as well). As for its effect to reduce ATK, yeah that seems more on-brand for the attribute than your monster getting stronger.

57 minutes ago, ~British Soul~ said:

I'm really not shocked that this card exists (inb4 Secret Rare in TCG), and it's funny I saw someone make a DARK counterpart to Honest on here on Boxing Day (and I'm sure other people had an idea for a DARK Honest at some point in the past as well). As for its effect to reduce ATK, yeah that seems more on-brand for the attribute than your monster getting stronger.

Yep! It's funny because this is something I expect fans making more than the official card game (like all those non-Fusion "HERO" Extra Deck monsters). Lo and behold, here's a real one 12 years later.

I think this one's easier to search than the original Honest. But which one is better, I can't say. This isn't the best example, but Score the Melodious Diva did something similar during the Damage Step. However, in my experience, I felt Honest's ATK boost (and stacking) was more effective in the longrun. Especially since some monsters have protection, and Honest just touches your monsters.

26 minutes ago, The Nyx Avatar said:

Yep! It's funny because this is something I expect fans making more than Konami (like all those non-Fusion "HERO" Extra Deck monsters). Lo and behold, here's a real one 12 years later.

*13 years later. Honest was printed in 2008. But yeah, I think I remember making a version of it myself yonks ago, but like Honest I made it raise ATK, and not gonna lie I was expecting Konami to name it Dishonest.

2 minutes ago, ~British Soul~ said:

*13 years later. Honest was printed in 2008. 

Depends on when this set comes out, as Light of Destruction was released in Japan in February and overseas in May.

4 minutes ago, ~British Soul~ said:

not gonna lie I was expecting Konami to name it Dishonest.

Hm...kinda like...

Number 98: Antitopian - Dragons of Legend: Unleashed, YuGiOh - Online  Gaming Store for Cards, Miniatures, Singles, Packs & Booster Boxes

1 minute ago, The Nyx Avatar said:

Depends on when this set comes out, as Light of Destruction was released in Japan in February and overseas in May.

Lightning Overdrive will be TCG's May booster, like LODT, and even though this set comes out next week, I'm still gonna say it was 13 years since Honest given the card debuted in the anime in 2007, and also 13 years is logistically easier to say than 12 years and 49 weeks, it doesn't matter really.

1 minute ago, The Nyx Avatar said:

Hm...kinda like...

Number 98: Antitopian - Dragons of Legend: Unleashed, YuGiOh - Online  Gaming Store for Cards, Miniatures, Singles, Packs & Booster Boxes

Yeah, though in that case the stats are switched.

44 minutes ago, The Warden said:

I feel like not calling it Dishonest was a completely missed opportunity.

I do not know about that one.

True Dishonest would make sense, however the "Dark Counterpart" type of cards is an already existing category, which means that this might be more flavorful, considering that this is effectively a corrupted Honest, rather than a monster, which started that waqy (in which case Dishonest would also make sense).

44 minutes ago, The Nyx Avatar said:

[...]

However, in my experience, I felt Honest's ATK boost (and stacking) was more effective in the longrun. Especially since some monsters have protection, and Honest just touches your monsters.

Agreed, this one cannot touch monsters like Ultimate Falcon, which are the type of monsters one would want to use these ATK manipulation monsters against in the first place.

The original Honest acting like this one would have been a ton more balanced back in the day. Not only does it need to affect an opponent's monster this time around (so it's a little bigger of a window of response) but there's the stacking potential the original has. It says something about the speed of the game when back in 2008 you could actually see x3 Honest often enough to get nervous about, and now it still has said potential but it doesn't get to the point of stacking quick enough (that's without talking about the extra disruption we've got nowadays compared to Lightsworn format days).

Nice to see the same sort of art style from the bosses of GX era sets like the dark counterparts were. It's pretty much some of my favorite art in the game.

I find myself simply not running Honest nowadays when I've tried anything LIGHT, and this is a weaker version (even if DARK is a different pool to support) so I don't think it's gonna break anything. reminds me of the days when Gale the Whirlwind's OPT permanent Shrink effect that also affected DEF in the form of a self Special Summoning Tuner was pushing it in design.

Honest says bi rights

This generally achieves the same effect as regular Honest (Not accounting for stacking, as Sleepy noted), but flavored differently to suit Dark. That said, I'm glad this isn't a hard once per turn. Not like you'd really need more than one, but I appreciate that the option is at least there.

As a matter of personal preference, I'm glad Dark has this kind of support, and I can see some hilarious plays with something like Arc Rebellion, though admittedly, at that point using this would just be trying to win more.

Archived