RWBY

I do not. I do know of course know about Red vs Blue. However, that was more using the codes that were already made for Halo to make a funny series out of them. With RWBY they are completely making it from scratch.

That is why I call it their first animated series.

Go watch Dead Fantasy. Now.

Anyway, as for the guy thing, weren't the first graduate team (before RWBY and JNPR) all-men? And their models were already rendered, much to my surprise. It takes effort to do that, so I imagine that the team might make a reappearance.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Roxas turned to the darkside? He is the Jaune of the thread.

tumblr_msou8hBCrP1sp1etmo1_500.gif

Well, guess I have to look out a window and think about my life now.

Roxas, why do you hate RWBY?

1. Amateurish animation. No, "This is their first show made from scratch" doesn't cut it. If you think I'm being too harsh on the animation, go watch Little Witch Academia. And if you want to point out that LWA is done in the style of traditional animation while this is a CG show, I'd argue that they could use Maya instead of Poser, which is widely considered to be a very low-end program. And if you think I'm being nitpicky, look at this.

2. Generic character archetypes. Even ignoring how they relate to the trailers, I think I've made it clear what I think of some of them. Either they're horrible stereotypes, or they're so bland that I really don't have any opinion of them.

3. The episode lengths make the pacing horrendous. Make it a biweekly series so the average length of episodes 2-7 can be doubled. So what if Red vs. Blue is about the same length? I'll give that a pass because it's supposed to be a machinima based on Halo, while this is intended to be an original property.

4. It tries way too hard to be like anime, specifically Soul Eater, in spite of Monty's insistence that Ruby totally isn't based on Maka because she has a scythe. If it wants to be like anime, let that be a natural result of the story you're telling, don't just throw things in and expecting us to think "Oh hey, it was these kinds of gags and action! It's totally anime!"

inb4 someone quotes this post and adds in "5. I didn't like how Weiss turned out and thus I've been taking my disappointing so personally that I'm taking apart the series as a whole." Nevermind that I've repeatedly made it clear that my problem isn't simply that her character isn't what I would have liked, but rather that I don't like what her character represents in the series. She's really just one example in a list of pretty uninteresting characters, even though I did say that I liked when she agreed to be nicer to Ruby. Hell, why is Monty Oum popular to begin with? Because of his animations that were all about people fighting, and less about them actually interacting with other people. Of course, Monty may not be the one who writes the characters the way they are, but I'm just trying to cover all my bases here.

Its not amateur animation. The show is made that way, its supposed to be that way. Its it's style.

It's more of the subtle things that I'm referring to. When some of the models interact with one another, it looks more like someone having a punch of action figures together rather than a natural looking back. Plus there's also the heavy outlines.

I'll admit it took me a while to get used to the animation style, but now that I'm used to it I don't mind. I mean it wasn't anything different from what we saw in the trailers.

1. Amateurish animation. No, "This is their first show made from scratch" doesn't cut it. If you think I'm being too harsh on the animation, go watch Little Witch Academia. And if you want to point out that LWA is done in the style of traditional animation while this is a CG show, I'd argue that they could use Maya instead of Poser, which is widely considered to be a very low-end program.

You can have your opinions on the style of animation, but I enjoy it so it's just a taste thing. Though I think they could've done it in a more traditional style and it'd be slightly better- though not by much.

Like this:

Could you imagine RWBY in this style of animation?

And if you think I'm being nitpicky, look at this.

That is way too nitpicky. I mean I didn't even NOTICE any of that, I'm too busy enjoying the show for what it is.

2. Generic character archetypes. Even ignoring how they relate to the trailers, I think I've made it clear what I think of some of them. Either they're horrible stereotypes, or they're so bland that I really don't have any opinion of them.

Opinion, I find Ruby adorable and funny.

3. The episode lengths make the pacing horrendous. Make it a biweekly series so the average length of episodes 2-7 can be doubled.

This is something I can completely agree with you. They should make the series longer or at least put more than one episode out a week.

4. It tries way too hard to be like anime, specifically Soul Eater, in spite of Monty's insistence that Ruby totally isn't based on Maka because she has a scythe. If it wants to be like anime, let that be a natural result of the story you're telling, don't just throw things in and expecting us to think "Oh hey, it was these kinds of gags and action! It's totally anime!"

I never thought of Ruby being like Maka from Soul Eater. That shouldn't even be compared just because both wield a scythe. That's like saying Pacific Rim and the Gundam series are the just because it has giant robots in it.

If there was any other anime styled gags then I clearly haven't noticed them.

Naruto and FMA come to mind.

Naruto really never has a "leader of the group" that I can point out. I'll definitely admit that FMA is right since not only is Edward and Alphonse not the leaders of any group they're in, but they also aren't the single focus on the entire series some of the time.

I do feel like the episodes should be this length, specifically so the lengths aren't so widely varied, and that I think 5 or so is being a little too short, and 20+ would be a bit too long for this, imo (just throwing it out there, as a "what if" it was possible, but now I know that is wasn't at all). I remember saying the comedy was something I've always thought was decent, but there are other things that need work on.

Since the last episode is also going to be one of the longer ones, I think it'll end on a note of me really enjoying this, when I was pretty much the only one who I know watched the trailers and not really being impressed with them at all. It works the other way, too.

But am I the only one who wasn't really impressed with Nora? I thought she was kinda generic and didn't really stand out much, but maybe that's just me.

Probably the only character out of RWBY & JNPR I'm personally not impressed with, in like, any way. But I guess she's been decent and I find she might improve, for me.

Naruto really never has a "leader of the group" that I can point out. I'll definitely admit that FMA is right since not only is Edward and Alphonse not the leaders of any group they're in, but they also aren't the single focus on the entire series some of the time.

Jonin squad leaders, Kage, etc.

Oh yeah, and Bleach. Ichigo isn't the leader of the Gotei 13.

But whatever, Ruby should get some good development by trying out a leadership role.

I'll admit it took me a while to get used to the animation style, but now that I'm used to it I don't mind. I mean it wasn't anything different from what we saw in the trailers.

It's the same style as the trailers, yes, but here we're seeing different things.

You can have your opinions on the style of animation, but I enjoy it so it's just a taste thing. Though I think they could've done it in a more traditional style and it'd be slightly better- though not by much.

Like this:

Could you imagine RWBY in this style of animation?

Okay, I'm not saying that using a CG style at all is bad. I was simply preparing myself for anyone who would say it isn't fair to compare shows that use CG to shows that use traditional animation. If RWBY was animated in a traditional style, then maybe these problems could be more easily fixed.

That is way too nitpicky. I mean I didn't even NOTICE any of that, I'm too busy enjoying the show for what it is.

The thing is, it fails basic things in animation. I mean, yes, shows that I love like Gravity Falls have their own errors, but stuff like a shaping polygon still being visible is pretty bad. It's one thing to not pick up on these things when you're just a viewer, but if you want to be a successful animator, you have to make sure that stuff like this shouldn't happen, because it just makes your efforts seem half-assed.

Opinion, I find Ruby adorable and funny.

Ruby herself doesn't really bother me much by this point, at least in comparison to some of the others.

This is something I can completely agree with you. They should make the series longer or at least put more than one episode out a week.

Actually, I'm suggesting the opposite. It sounds like you'd rather have them release two episodes a week, but I'm saying they should release one episode every two weeks.

I never thought of Ruby being like Maka from Soul Eater. That shouldn't even be compared just because both wield a scythe. That's like saying Pacific Rim and the Gundam series are the just because it has giant robots in it.

Oh no, I don't think there's any similarities in terms of personality between Ruby and Maka, I'm referring more to the aesthetics. Since you mention Pacific Rim, I suppose the best way to put it is that just as Pacific Rim was a tribute to many shows and movies about giant robots beating up giant monsters, RWBY is a tribute to shows like Soul Eater. I for one really couldn't care less about what few similarities Ruby and Maka have (Not that I'm starting to turn this into a rant against Soul Eater, I just never ended up following it, so I don't dislike it or anything), I'm just listing some things. Sorry, I put way too much emphasis on how it compares to Soul Eater, that just seems to be the one people have taken the most notice of, not only because of the leads, but also the general setting.

If there was any other anime styled gags then I clearly haven't noticed them.

A lot of the 2D scenes involving Ruby's animation, or like when Nora grabbed the chess piece and the background changed to be all celebratory.

Naruto really never has a "leader of the group" that I can point out.

Kakashi.

And, Roxas, I think people wouldn't be so inclined to disagree with you if you weren't being so nitpicky about it. There's honest complaints, then there's what you're doing.

I know I'm the "Stop having fun!" guy, but it just seems like you guys are hyping this up a little too much and I feel that there needs to be discussion into details that go beyond story and characters.

Ruby herself doesn't really bother me much by this point, at least in comparison to some of the others.

As in . . . ?

I haven't seen any character that's rubbed me the wrong way yet, at least not enough that it makes me want to flip a table and say, "Uh uh! No f*cking way man! Bull sh*t!"

Actually, I'm suggesting the opposite. It sounds like you'd rather have them release two episodes a week, but I'm saying they should release one episode every two weeks.

Oh, okay I got confused on what you were suggesting. Yeah I can see one episode every two weeks; that way they'd have more time to screen for mistakes and what not and generally get more time to do the actual animation.

A lot of the 2D scenes involving Ruby's animation, or like when Nora grabbed the chess piece and the background changed to be all celebratory.

Well in all honesty that happens in a lot more than just anime, cartoons have done it quite often as well. Hell! I remember Dexter's Laboratory doing that quite often even. It's not just an anime thing, but an animation thing in general.

I know I'm the "Stop having fun!" guy, but it just seems like you guys are hyping this up a little too much and I feel that there needs to be discussion into details that go beyond story and characters.

Not at all, I think Shradow's just pointing out that maybe you're being a little too critical about it. Yes, all of the things you've pointed out have merit and we know it's subpar on a lot of things, but in the end we're being entertained with what we're given and that is what we're looking for.

To me it sounds like you got overly hyped from the trailers and the series has yet to met your expectations, so you're grumbling over everything.

I didn't really hype it up much at all, I pretty much forget about the series except when new episodes go up or I'm here. I just watch the show and give a couple comments on awesome things every episode or so.

Exactly!

I actually forgot about RWBY as well after each trailer so when the series came out I didn't know what to expect; I had to take a moment to even remember what I initially thought the series was going to be about. I just thought it was going to be someone's first time animating a series with the style it was. And, for what I've been given so far, it isn't anything bad that makes me want to stop watching the show but at the same time it hasn't shown me anything that makes me go, "Wow . . . just . . . wow this is the greatest thing EVER!"

To me it's actually meh-ish to the point I'm interested in seeing more, but not expecting anything truly stunning out of it.

I'll watch it when I'm bored, which is what I've been doing.

As in . . . ?

I haven't seen any character that's rubbed me the wrong way yet, at least not enough that it makes me want to flip a table and say, "Uh uh! No f*cking way man! Bull sh*t!"

Go through this thread, and you'll realized I'm referring to characters like Jaune, Weiss, and Nora.

Oh, okay I got confused on what you were suggesting. Yeah I can see one episode every two weeks; that way they'd have more time to screen for mistakes and what not and generally get more time to do the actual animation.

Yeah, considering what we got this week, and how it came out at the usual time, I think they could at least keep to that quality but not overwhelm themselves if they spread out the release of new episodes a bit longer.

Well in all honesty that happens in a lot more than just anime, cartoons have done it quite often as well. Hell! I remember Dexter's Laboratory doing that quite often even. It's not just an anime thing, but an animation thing in general.

True. I guess that it just feels how I would expect anime to do those things. I'm not even counting how Jaune and Weiss fell to the ground because that seemed like a Looney Tunes sort of thing.

Not at all, I think Shradow's just pointing out that maybe you're being a little too critical about it. Yes, all of the things you've pointed out have merit and we know it's subpar on a lot of things, but in the end we're being entertained with what we're given and that is what we're looking for.

To me it sounds like you got overly hyped from the trailers and the series has yet to met your expectations, so you're grumbling over everything.

Yes, I'm disappointed that the show is not of the quality the trailers promised, but is that wrong? Trailers are meant to generate interest for the actual product, so if I'm disappointed, then of course I should explain why. And again, I said this episode was the closest we've gotten to what the trailer promised.

Exactly!

I actually forgot about RWBY as well after each trailer so when the series came out I didn't know what to expect; I had to take a moment to even remember what I initially thought the series was going to be about. I just thought it was going to be someone's first time animating a series with the style it was. And, for what I've been given so far, it isn't anything bad that makes me want to stop watching the show but at the same time it hasn't shown me anything that makes me go, "Wow . . . just . . . wow this is the greatest thing EVER!"

To me it's actually meh-ish to the point I'm interested in seeing more, but not expecting anything truly stunning out of it.

I'll watch it when I'm bored, which is what I've been doing.

I watched the trailers repeatedly, which is probably what made my disappointment all the more crushing.

Alright, I can respect that opinion. I'll admit, I'm still watching because I do have a genuine interest in what's going to happen.

Well basically we all watched the trailers, not expecting the outcome how it happened. Honestly, I still think its pretty good ^^

On another note...found a lil anime reference (and by reference I mean just a lil pic) here. Pause when Ruby says "Ohhhh", and you should see Truth from FMA.

[spoiler=The Reference]

Going back to the conversation about the whole, "Oh, that's my uncle!" thing, if what I read on TvTropes is correct, Monty himself will be voicing Qrow.

Also, this gif brings up something interesting:

tumblr_msog32fQB21s7vfd5o1_400.gif

The twitch seems too deliberate to be an animation error to me.

And I can't believe I didn't notice this earlier, but Ozpin's name is based on the wizard Oz (whose full name is Oscar Zoroaster Phadrig Isaac Norman Henkel Emmannuel Ambroise Diggs, or O.Z.P.I.N.H.E.A.D.).

Huh, good catch. Yeah, even I can't see that being an animation error, and since she is supposed to be a part of the White Fang, I think this just adds more proof that those are actually ears.

Aside from Ozpin being based on the Wizard of Oz, the female teacher is named Glenda Goodwitch, which is why I think the woman that works for Roman (That was his name, right? It's been so long.) is based on either of the Wicked Witches.

His full name is Roman Torchwick, and yeah, I figured that, too. Especially since I had recently seen The Great and Powerful Oz before I watched episode 1, and in the movie the Wicked Witch of the West really liked fireballs.

And I wouldn't necessarily say Blake's ribbon is a pair of ears. You can see she already has normal, human ears, and for the most part, kemonomimi characters that I've seen only have the animal ears. (The ones I see always have the spots where human ears would be covered up by hair, so maybe they all do have them and they just aren't shown, I dunno.) Though that does bring up the question of what else it could be.

I think the reason we're having so much difficulty figuring them out is that they don't actually have the details of ears, which is why they look more like ribbons.

Uh . . . Roxas . . . I don't know if you've looked close enough but Blake does have ears well enough that you can make them out.

Now, what do you guys think is going to happen in the series?

Archived