Character Deck "Format" [Passing this on, read recent discussion]

• Replies 395
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have mentioned 20 times over that Alit is never coming into the tournament. The deck is 10x harder to take on in this format, with cards that will protect themselves and recycle themselves, and protect others. I've also mentioned Yuma and Kaito aren't getting in because they're too strong. Both Shark and Tron are even on the chopping block. Vector and Rio are already on the roster.

Maybe I'll add a third format where all of the overpowered characters are allowed, since they're really getting up there in number.

Also, I just learned that Anna is technically playable now, though I think she is fitting for lower tier.

Um, Yuma, Shark, Kite, Tron and Alito aren't that OP. A Yusei, Yugi, Mai, Jaden, Jesse, Kaiba, and others have fairly good matchups if you go by the current effects and not the anime effects.

Also, Yuma doesn't use most of the Numbers, but just say he's only allowed to use Numbers he's actually played in the anime. (Or you can just ban the ZW's) So basically Yuma gets: 39 (+Ray, V, Victory, Roots, and ONE) 34, 12, 17 and a few others. (He hasn't actually played that many Numbers...)
Shark is easy to take on, his deck is made to be a Beatdown deck like Jack or Kaiba's. admittedly, you could ban No.101 and just have him have Shark Drake and he'll be completely fine.
Kite's deck only fairs very well against Xyz Decks (like Yuma's). If it plays against Yugi or Yusei it will not be as effective as other decks are.
I'm not sure why your even saying Tron's overpowered.... No. 69 got hit pretty badly and No. 8 isn't as good either.

The main thing I'd say is just put it that they cannot use Numbers or cards they didn't actually play. They aren't that bad.

I tried it out, and it doesn't work like that. In a normal format, they aren't the best decks, but in this format, where people are forced to use cards that aren't as good and decks aren't as varied or consistent, it is a lot harder to take on consistent or powerful decks. Even summoning something with 4K attack can mean the end of the game in some cases.

I also want to discourage OTKs, and Yuma for instance does this a lot.

That is why I suggested banning all ZW cards. And remember, Yugi can pull out all 3 Egyptian Gods, Kaiba still has Obelisk, Jesse has Rainbow Dragon (and Hamon). Jaden has the Neos cards + the E-HERO's. The normal Numbers aren't that hard to beat...
I say just get rid of OTK cards (like ZW's) and let the characters be in. Also, Shark, Kite, Tron, etc dont have OTK's in the actual game. Oh III and IV should be able to be played now too. Chronomaly and Gimmick Puppets have a lot of support that they use now so I suggest they can be used.

There's the Machu Mech OTK, there's the Double or Nothing, shenanigans with Excalibur, and even without an OTK he has access to a ton of useful cards and lots of options, so you're not even limited to a Utopia deck.

Just some of Yuma's cards:

Utopia cards

Practically every Number to date

The musical Djinns

Gagagas

Gogogos

Dododos

Kagetokage

Goblindbergh

Wonder Wand

Cardcar D

Tasuke Knight

Excalibur

Crane Crane

Gauntlet Launcher

Memory Loss

Troubull Diver

Swordsman of Revealing Light

Xyz Reborn

Mirror Force

I still don't see that deck being insanely OP especially when Yugi has cards that are equivalent to that. Yuma has combos, yes, but Jesse for example are worse. That deck can pull off Abundance easily + get a Rainbow Dragon and then the crazyness of the Crystal Beasts currently (which right now have variant versions that are Tier 2 right now). To be honest Yuma's combos aren't much different from Yusei's either... Yusei has Quazar which is an Auto-game ender anyway. Shooting Star is OP, Stardust is a staple, his Warriors are very very strong and the Synchrons have a OTK that's still running around too. Both Jaden and Yugi have similar combos as well. I would say let Yuma play and if we find that it's actually beyond OP now (in this type of format) then ban him again.

I don't get this. Which card is that?

It's not a singular card, and that's my point. Tons of characters have a card that basically comes down to "negate the attack of an opponent's monster", some have multiple cards like it with a different name like Yuma. However, no character shares the same named card as another character that does this.

Oh, and a ton of characters have Call of the Haunted as well.

Archived