Character Deck "Format" [Passing this on, read recent discussion]

• Replies 395
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...

I know that there was a post a while back about giving Joey and Sartorious the ablity to alter coin flips (within reason). It sounds like an ok idea to me if its handled right, and it would encourage people to choose them.

I just don't want to make this too arcadey or detached from the actual game, is why I decided against stuff like that.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Maybe you should revise each character deck, because when preparing for your tournament I built a Aporia and Dragan decks and encountered with couple of problems:

Aporia: I had to run Boon of Meklord Emperor (way too situational card) and multiple copies of a single Meklord Emperor (who can clog in the hand if drawn in multiples) just to fulfill the requirement of 21 character cards. I think you should drop the requirements to 16 for this character.

Dragan: I didn't have problems with the 16 character cards, but I ended including 1 Garm and 3 Brisingamen, which I wouldn't call them good cards.

An idea I got from building Dragan's deck is that you could also consider cards that directly support the character's deck or archetype as character cards, to help those decks that don't have many cards to pick from. Cards that support types or attributes in general would be excluded (Tenki, Honest, etc.), unless the character used them, of course.

For instance, should you approve such rule, "Gleipnir, Fetters of Fenrir" would be treated as a Dragan's card because it directly supports "Nordic" monsters and thus would be counted in the 16-cards requirement, and by using it not only you get around using regular or bad cards, but also gives you more space for non-character cards. Other cards that would become Dragan's cards would be rest of the Nordic Relics.

The thing is, for those characters the only reason they're allowed in the first place is because you have to run bad cards to play them. Otherwise they would be too good to be in the tournament. I do admit that it is a bit ridiculous in some circumstances, such as Aporia needing 4 RUMs to be able to fuffill the requirements,but it's an experiment to see if they still are too strong.

• 4 weeks later...

I'd like to conduct a formal reconsideration of Shark, considering he did get a button of new support in the last few duelist packs and sets.

Do you mean banning him? Because that's the only change I could give him.

Also, I've been out of the loop for quite some time, so let me know if there's any other characters whose lists have changed enough.

Archived