Akatsuki: We Need To Get Our Own Network Edition

Akatsuki Twitch Anime  

8 members have voted

1. 1. Which anime should we watch first?

• Katanagatari
    • Berserk
    • Baka to Test
    • A Ghibli Movie (TBD)

Alright, top 5 female characters of all time:

1. Raven (Teen Titans)
2. Eowyn (Lord of the Rings) - she took down an elephant AND a f*cking WITCH KING with a short sword! Arwen couldn't do that sh*t.
3. Sarah Connor (Terminator) - If the first scene of a female character is her doing chin-ups in prison, you know sh*t's real.
4. River Song (Doctor Who) - "Hello, sweetie." *chills*
5. Katniss Everdeen (Hunger Games)

• Replies 380
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Huh, top five.....this is going to be difficult.

Not in order, will change at the drop of a hat because I don't really take the time to rank them and stuff.

Ryougi Shiki(Kara no Kyoukai) - Strong independent lady with an impulse for murders. Lovely, although it's her male personality, SHIKI(who is luv) that earns a place.

Nagato Yuki(Suzumiya Haruhi) - Obligatory waifu. She's amazing overall, amazing in Disappearance, will be amazing in Snow Mountain Syndrome.

Matsushima Michiru(Grisaia) - I'm torn between her and the epic Sachi. Considering everyone else is also epic, Sachi falls out and Mitcher wins slightly.

Itou Kaiji(Kaiji) Nanasaki Ai(Amagami) - Obligatory Amagami mention. That aside, Kaiji is fucking moe, but he's a guy, so yes.

Kansai(Molester Man) - Simply the best Molester Man-girl, although Sachiko comes very, very close.

That aside, series we should all watch together. Essentially, it'll either be action or comedy, as I'm sure everyone here can stomach both to an extent. Maybe a romance might work too. Feel free to start suggesting stuff, especially stuff you yourself haven't seen. We'll either stream somehow, or we just have everyone go watch and then discuss, or something. Maybe a weekly recommended anime of the spotlight or something? Not really sure about this.

5. Miku (I think we know who she is, right?)

I always wondered if we'd ever get a Vocaloid show. I know Mekaku City Actors is something similar to it (I think) and that got an anime, so it's always possible. I'm kinda surprised they haven't already, actually.

That aside, series we should all watch together. Essentially, it'll either be action or comedy, as I'm sure everyone here can stomach both to an extent. Maybe a romance might work too. Feel free to start suggesting stuff, especially stuff you yourself haven't seen. We'll either stream somehow, or we just have everyone go watch and then discuss, or something. Maybe a weekly recommended anime of the spotlight or something? Not really sure about this.

Probably easier to do the latter since everyone probably has differing schedules. I'd be down for anything, really.

Alas, someone on YCM who understands the greatness of Holo the Wise Wolf.

It'd have to be relatively obscure for it to be something most of us haven't watched. Hm.

Bakuman isn't anywhere near obscure, but has anyone watched it?

Alas, someone on YCM who understands the greatness of Holo the Wise Wolf.

It'd have to be relatively obscure for it to be something most of us haven't watched. Hm.

Bakuman isn't anywhere near obscure, but has anyone watched it?

Yeah, Bakuman....isn't really that obscure, considering its the author of Death Note, so it has connections. Then again, I don't doubt some of us haven't seen, so that's an option.

As a fan of Nisio Isin I've never actually once taken a good look at Katanagatari, not even at it's summary, so perhaps that's another good suggestion. Or Mushishi, I have that downloaded but I haven't yet watched. Or Escaflowne, I also have that downloaded and untouched.

Hm, I am relatively sure everyone here has an animu backlog of some sort. If you all could just a list of the first 5 anime in your backlog that you plan to get through, or something like that, that'd help.

Personally for me,

1. Katanagatari

2. Mushishi

3. Escaflowne

4. Baka to Test

5. Akagi

I wouldn't mind rewatching Katanagatari with y'all. Note that episodes are 50 minutes long and there's plenty of deaths.

Escaflowne and Akagi maybe, but I'm sure a lot of people have seen Baka To Test and Mushishi.

I should get watching Mushishi since season 2 is coming out.

No Hanako or Rin even?

And watch Spice and Wolf so that you can learn to love Holo the wise wolf, too.

I think Hanako would make it...maybe XP

though I think Nodoka from negima would go above Hanako...and Yue is from the same series and above Nodoka sooo XD

Series I plan to get to.......many.....

Baka to Test, Madoka Magica, Doraemon, hayao Miyazaki films, etc etc

Baka to Mushishi is out then, I'll have to watch them myself in my own time later.

Actually Thar, you gave me something good. Berserk. I would totally not mind that as our first akatsuki spotlight animu of the week/month/etc(name subject to change). I've only read a bit of the manga, so yes, Berserk sounds good. If I recall, it has an anime series, and then a new movie series has started or something? Still, Berserk is definitely up there in something we should all watch, if we can handle the gore and the suffering.

I think Hanako would make it...maybe XP

though I think Nodoka from negima would go above Hanako...and Yue is from the same series and above Nodoka sooo XD

Series I plan to get to.......many.....

Baka to Test, Madoka Magica, Doraemon, hayao Miyazaki films, etc etc

Or a Miyazaki film. Might not be a bad idea either. Not the popular ones like Spirited Away or Princess Mononoke, but some of the more obscure ones, sure that'd be nice. By the way, Nodoka > Yue

so, Katanagatari, Berserk, a Miyazaki film. One of the three. Anything else you guys might be interested in, go ahead and suggest, but if not then it's one of the three. We'll start this watch session next week, and everyone writes a review about it when they're done, although that kinda belongs to that 'review the last anime you saw' thread in the anime section, but I'll think about that later.

So, Katanagatari, Berserk, a Miyazaki film(which I've shortened down to either Whisper's of the Heart, Grave of the Fireflies, or Porco Rosso). Feel free to vote for one of the three if you don't have any other suggestions.

I wouldn't say Berserk is to everyone's tastes since I've read the manga and it's a dark fantasy full of blood, gore, betrayal and rape.

Not really up for Ghibli at the moment, but I suppose it's an option. I've only seen three so far and I really liked Princess Mononoke and Totoro was good, but I don't really get the hype around Spirited Away, it was nice, well crafted, but not really something I like.

Wait, are we going to watch this stuff on Twitch? That does sound fun, but when is a time almost everyone can be on? How often should we do this? And at any rate, if you miss an episode, just catch up on your own time.

I'm EST (GMT -5) and I'm most free on Mondays and Fridays after school, and weekends.

@DL: Yeah, it looks like it.

I haven't seen her too much in the regular manga unless I skimmed over it too quickly [I remember her getting drained from the Gold/Silver tools, not sure if she was there when Neji died (I don't recall seeing her)

I should watch the anime, but the fillers make no sense and have characters that we really don't care about in the course of the story. So that's why I stopped somewhere in middle of Hidan/Kakuzu arc.

Wow, people really don't care about the fillers because they have nothing to do with the main story. And that's the reason I only really want to watch the fillers when I watch the anime.

And I read the latest 7 chapters of the manga yesterday, but I'm sure there's something else I'm behind in now that I just can't remember. I know there's a manga site that you can follow stuff on, but I don't need to use it because I don't even check the manga sites I use everyday (imo, I think it's only worth using a site where you can follow stuff on if you actually check the site everyday, otherwise just check stuff when you feel like it).

inb4AixgetsaGriffthavatarandsig

I never watched the Berserk anime, but I watched the movies (which just covered the Golden Age arc) and they were really good and got me to read the manga. The movies aren't so needlessly violent till the Eclipse happens.

Baka to Test,

Great show dude, but the show kinda sucks second season. Easily one of the best comedies of all time, plus it's all on YT.

FYI, I'm setting up a proper twitch channel so maybe we'll be able to stream something. I'll put up a poll, but would you guys prefer if we did this genre by genre? Alternatively you guys can just post here and you guys can just argue right up until I stream it or something.

Also sub >>>>>>dub just saying that now.

I could add to the two people that already said they haven't seen Baka to Test, apart from one episode, but I would pretty much have to watch it again anyway. (I figured it wouldn't really be possible anyway though)

I guess I'll pretty much just try whatever happens to end up being chosen, since I already haven't watched most of what has already been mentioned, I see no point in mentioning anything else.

inb4AixgetsaGriffthavatarandsig

Yes I will.

Oh, I thought plenty of people would've seen Baka to Test, though I haven't seen it myself except the first 1-2 episodes. I guess that's up for an option then.

I think we should just choose what we want. We also need to decide a time when most of us are online and available.

Alright, so right now we have:

- Berserk

- Katanagatari

- Baka to Test

- a Miyazaki movie maybe

Let's stick with choosing one out of these for now so we don't end up arguing forever. Hijacking this thread and putting up a poll now.

We also need to decide a time when most of us are online and available.

For me, I'm unfortunately not busy most of the time, so I could just try and be on like trying to catch something on TV, and if I miss, just catch up.

If I had to say though, I'm really not available around 4 AM-[10 AM-12:30 PM], (GMT -5) being asleep and all that. 4 is pushing it though, while I could, I'm generally not awake after 3. And considering we're both in this club, if my mom is on the computer, my twin bro has his own laptop, it probably doesn't matter the time for me besides that.

If we have to do reviews, I might suck at it (but not that bad all the time), but I'm just wondering about the length, is at least this much acceptable?

Medaka Box & Medaka Box Abnormal

This show kinda grows on you. They don't even try to hide that Medaka is a complete Mary Sue, so the real characterization happens with the deuteragonist Hitoyoshi Zenkichi and with the rest of the cast. The first season kinda follows an episodic kinda story line and you don't really get any challenges to Medaka until the very end of season 1. At first I just kinda hated how much of a cliche Medaka was but I definitely came to like it by the end. They deal with a lot more tougher moments in the second season and the whole things ends with a teaser final episode that hints to much more things happening to the school. It's a nice kind of casual watch and I wouldn't mind a third season. Of course, this being Gainax there is going to be a ton of fanservice. Also, the love triangle kinda dissolves in the second season, so it becomes obvious who Medaka cares for a bit more. But you didn't hear that from me.

7/10

Or more? Or does it matter?

Archived