Splatoon

Lonk

• Replies 614
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Demo doesn't even go live until tomorrow night.

The free updates are all planned for summer at least, so it won't be all that long. Cool that there's gonna be a payload gamemode with that tower, too. And yes, they're bringing in private matchmaking among friends.

Yeah but these are the kinds of things that they should have had done day 1. I think it's pretty obvious to say that this shows the game was originally scheduled for a fall release but needed to get pushed up to even out the release schedule. I guess competitive splatoon doesn't start until August.. poor Squidboards!

I watched the Nintendo Direct they posted yesterday, the game is starting to look very good. At first, it looked like it would not be all that complex, and it would just be Call of Duty for kids, but it actually seems to have a lot more depth than before. I wonder if it's because of the overall positive response the game have gotten that they decided to make it a lot bigger, or if they had all of this in mind from the start. Either way, if I ever get a Wii U, I will pick this game up for sure.

I watched the Nintendo Direct they posted yesterday, the game is starting to look very good. At first, it looked like it would not be all that complex, and it would just be Call of Duty for kids, but it actually seems to have a lot more depth than before. I wonder if it's because of the overall positive response the game have gotten that they decided to make it a lot bigger, or if they had all of this in mind from the start. Either way, if I ever get a Wii U, I will pick this game up for sure.

You should really get a WII U, (PC + WII U = best gaming setup) the library of games on it is amazing! Super Smash Bros, Mario KArt 8, Mario 3d Land, Bayonetta 2 are just some of the amazing titles.

You should really get a WII U, (PC + WII U = best gaming setup) the library of games on it is amazing! Super Smash Bros, Mario KArt 8, Mario 3d Land, Bayonetta 2 are just some of the amazing titles.

I am more of a Playstation guy myself, I will get the PS4 before the Wii U, but it's up there for console I want to have.

I am more of a Playstation guy myself, I will get the PS4 before the Wii U, but it's up there for console I want to have.

You might want to get a Wii U first because Xenoblade Chronicles X looks freaking amazing right now and will probably have a mid summer or early fall release.

Guys, lets be honest...
If the game had voice chat, you would be playing it and hearing stuff like this all day;
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M6PbdJiAK84
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BGZrcFQlyUE

.....Do we really want Splatoon full of this?

So a few things from the one hour I played Splatoon:

• I started to get used to the controls a few games in, but the day I can use no tilt controls can't come soon enough. I was fighting myself with the tilt and right stick to turn the direction I needed without missing an opponent. Hopefully there's also sensitivity in turning left or right, as that's definitely needed.
  • The rest of the game felt good. I won all but 2 matches, and could win even if I felt I didn't play well just due to how Turf Wars functions.
  • So I learned something about strategy very very quickly in that larger stages are going to rely not just on covering opponent ink, but also making sure that you cover your side of the level to a higher percent than your opponent. There are so many ways you can travel about Saltspray Rig, that you're going to have players cutting into your territory all the time so there's easy back and forth of the line between teams. It comes down more to which side covers the most area of the rig that doesn't see much change in color.
  • But thinner levels, like Walleye Warehouse (I think that's the name) where there's generally just one way to go to cover turf in the level, are ones where you're whole team is going to want to just get out and go. You're always spraying paint in front of you, so no matter what direction you go, you're going to get that direction covered in paint. It means that when you die, you'll always be traveling on that same path over to the other side's base, letting you cover the lane more and more as the game progresses. In the games I played there, the winner was always the team that set the line of battle at the start of the game furthest into opponent's territory, and it wasn't even close. It's hard to turn the tide as well, since you can just super jump to your team if you die and continue giving them support. The two games there, I played both this and the Saltspray Rig strategy and the difference in paint covered was about a 60% margin.
  • Squid Jump was actually kinda great to pass the time while waiting for the match to start. It's just basically a mobile game, but I really liked it.
  • But I didn't like playing it for 10 straight minutes. Yeah, that happened to me. Our lobby couldn't get the 8 players required so the countdown timer just kept resetting at 120. Myself and the twitch chat just got bored out of our minds. The worst part was that there wasn't a way to quit the lobby. The + button ran Squid Jump, the - button did nothing, and the home button was locked! I had to turn my Wii U off and back on again to play the last 2 games I got before the game shut down for the evening.

I forgot how but there was a way to turn that off. 

I just talked to someone on Squidboards about that. There's a way to turn it off on the Main Menu. It just sucks that there's no way to do it in game or in the menu... also why no loadout changes midmatch without backing out? Weird. Main game should have a button to turn it off if the videos I've seen of it are any indication.

Were there any sort of commands you could give to teammates since there's no voice chat?

Up on the D-Pad said "C'mon!" Down said "Booyah!"

I just talked to someone on Squidboards about that. There's a way to turn it off on the Main Menu. It just sucks that there's no way to do it in game or in the menu... also why no loadout changes midmatch without backing out? Weird. Main game should have a button to turn it off if the videos I've seen of it are any indication.

Options should be in game.  Loadouts is a gameplay thing and might have been intentional.  Not sure which would be better. 

Archived