The Command Tower (EDH Hangout)

bury the year

• Replies 845
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The 2 Simic guild leaders are honestly the best options for Simic decks.

Anyway, speaking of guilds, what would you recommend for a BR deck? I'm still gathering cards for Hanna, but my brain is slowly trying to work on more decks and while I settled on some kind of Sultai Zombie deck I have no idea what to do for BR and thats the next one I want to work on.

Anyway, speaking of guilds, what would you recommend for a BR deck? I'm still gathering cards for Hanna, but my brain is slowly trying to work on more decks and while I settled on some kind of Sultai Zombie deck I have no idea what to do for BR and thats the next one I want to work on.

Tsabo Tavoc if you want to get hated, or Kaervek the Merciless if you want to get hated.

Grenzo is pretty decent too.

Tsabo Tavoc if you want to get hated, or Kaervek the Merciless if you want to get hated.

Grenzo is pretty decent too.

I'm trying to avoid reanimation (Sidisi, Brood Tyrant would be more Zombie tribal) since I already have Sedris and Karador. The one I was most interested in was Olivia Voldaren, but Kaervek seems like he could be pretty interesting. I'm mostly looking for some kind of theme to start off from like WU Pillow Fort, Green Elves, or Naya Tokens.

Grenzo is a ton of fun and is surprisingly strong, border lining broken. Rakdos is good if you hate fun. In my experience, karavek is kind of mediocre, he costs a billion mana to play and dies the moment he hits the board since he draws so much hate.

Grenzo is a ton of fun and is surprisingly strong, border lining broken. Rakdos is good if you hate fun. In my experience, karavek is kind of mediocre, he costs a billion mana to play and dies the moment he hits the board since he draws so much hate.

Grenzo would be one of the ones I'd be most interested in. Though in thinking about it I could do like I am with gold Sidisi and also make it tribal focused. That would also give me access to a bunch of cool black goblins.

Rakdos as in the original? How would you go about building that to keep it from screwing you?

The idea here is to, prior to casting Kaerveck, put down artifacts and/or enchantments that create clogtastic problems for the board, to either draw away the hate or make the answers less reliable. Let's say, Timesifter or Possibility Storm.

Especially Possibility Storm. Kaerveck gets off to that.

Rakdos as in the original? How would you go about building that to keep it from screwing you?

Basically like any stax deck, rakdos ends games really fast if unanswered, and once he connects with someone, he becomes much more difficult to find an answer for. You can use cheap or recursive permanents to power him out then use stuff that triggers on death. Really, once he's out he's the only permanent to you care about.

Basically like any stax deck, rakdos ends games really fast if unanswered, and once he connects with someone, he becomes much more difficult to find an answer for. You can use cheap or recursive permanents to power him out then use stuff that triggers on death. Really, once he's out he's the only permanent to you care about.

That sounds pretty interesting. Don't think its for me, but it sounds pretty evil. Fitting for Rakdos.

I'm not sure how I missed seeing this community for so long, but I'd be interested in joining.

Experience: About 2 years worth now, started just before the release of Dragon's Maze and have been playing EDH since about the same time.

Current Decks: Xenagos, God of Revels; Niv-Mizzet, Dracogenius; and Krenko, Mob Boss

> Niv-Mizzet, Dracogenius

I think we'll be good friends :p. Niv-Mizzet is one of my favorite legends because of him being a dragon and one attuned to my main deck's colors. I decided on trying to build an EDH deck based around him last night, though I've still got to look up tons of cards and decklists to come out with my own ideas on how to build and pilot the deck.

I know of his Firemind version, but I personally prefer Dracogenius. I was thinking of making it a Control-Ramp-Burn deck using damage doublers like Furnace of Rath, after which the ramped up mana could help me use his UR ability multiple times for decent damage. It's just an idea on paper though, dunno how well it'd play out.

Firemind is a fair bit easier to build because he doles out damage without needing much mana input. Also infinite combo with Curiosity.

Dracogenius would want to control the board with things like Dismiss into Dream or Charisma to get maximum value from a single ping.

And by Curiosity, he means Curiosity, Ophidian Eye, Tandem Lookout, and Mind over Matter.

I know of his Firemind version, but I personally prefer Dracogenius. I was thinking of making it a Control-Ramp-Burn deck using damage doublers like Furnace of Rath, after which the ramped up mana could help me use his UR ability multiple times for decent damage. It's just an idea on paper though, dunno how well it'd play out.

Burn is not the greatest archetype in EDH since you have to do 120 damage, unless your going for combo finish of course.

Burn is not the greatest archetype in EDH since you have to do 120 damage, unless your going for combo finish of course.

Well, it's not strictly burn. I plan for the deck to be a kind of Midrange deck that uses the usual stuff like burn, control, monsters, and advantage.

I actually play my Dracogenius deck as a control deck, using his burn ability to draw cards most of the time. I do run Dismiss into Dreams and both Basilisk Collar and Gorgon's head to help with removal, but I'd never actually heard of Charisma until today. I do run a creature version of Charisma though, Willbreaker. I'm not sure how well a direct burn deck would work with him, but it could do well depending on what you're planning to run. Personally I just win with either commander damage or Laboratory Maniac most of the time.

Firemind is a fair bit easier to build because he doles out damage without needing much mana input. Also infinite combo with Curiosity.

Dracogenius would want to control the board with things like Dismiss into Dream or Charisma to get maximum value from a single ping.

Dracogenius can also combo out with Deadeye Navigator + Great Whale/Peregrine Drake/Palinchron.

Simdoggy, added.

@Flame: Well, Deadeye + Palinchron = infinite mana, and there are lot of cards that can win off of infinite mana. Dracogenius, however, is better than Firemind if you're not going for the combo finish.

Deadeye + any of the of uncat guys results in stupid things, but that only needs the two of them since you can just get Draco with the mana they make. Firemind is still the better at combing out though.

Let's get some salt stories?

I'll start with a time I made even myself salty.

I was playing a bant enchantress deck I pieced together. I had my enchantresses going and metric fucktons of mana and was going off digging pretty deep for a win condition, after faling to find one and getting cyclonic rifted 3 times in a row I managed to get out omniscience and sigil, it took me almost 20 minutes to go through all my triggers and create enough angels to win. I could see the agony of my pod and the other 10 people watching me furiously masturbate my deck while I stumbled over all my triggers. I never played that deck again.

Archived