The Command Tower (EDH Hangout)

bury the year

I want up against a guy who set up a combo with Knight Captain of Eos to prevent all combat damage during my turn. I was playing my Xenagos deck at the time too, so that was very annoying. Eventually, I just drew into Malignus and Rogues Passage, and made him a bit salty when he realised that Malignus can't have its damage prevented.

• Replies 845
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So, I'm working on a Grenzo Goblin deck and while doing so I kept finding cards for a friends Nekusar deck that he wasn't already playing. I am now tempted to turn my new BR deck into a "everyone burns deck" because it seems very different and cool. But at the same time that would mean starting over and I just finished going through more than a decade of magic cards for possible inclusion. Ba, I hate coming up with totally different ideas while working on a deck.

Kaerveck is your best host for a mad chaos deck. Mogis is a more subtle one, too.

I was thinking about them both when I was considering it. Ultimately decided against it since I feel the deck is strongest with Nekusar and I don't want to double up on commanders in my play group. We are fortunate that of the 15 or so decks in the group only 2 repeat.

Um, how?

After you produce 3 billion mana, you can break the link between Palinchron and Deadeye. Then you pair Deadeye with Wanderer and blink it, leaving it in the command zone. Then you cast it and get 2 cascades, and when it enters the battlefield, you pair it again with Deadeye. Rinse and repeat.

After you produce 3 billion mana, you can break the link between Palinchron and Deadeye. Then you pair Deadeye with Wanderer and blink it, leaving it in the command zone. Then you cast it and get 2 cascades, and when it enters the battlefield, you pair it again with Deadeye. Rinse and repeat.

I remember you doing that to me. That was rude af and you never compensated me for this.

It as asked to see the new Grenzo Goblin deck I made, so here you go

sMBbWGa.jpg

cuVF22H.jpg

It was really interesting since I went in expecting the deck to be a lot more graveyard focus. Playing Karador and to a lesser extent Sharuum spoiled me so I was use to the graveyard just being and extension of my hand. That isn't true for most colors though. Ended up pulling back from that aspect since it wasn't what the deck wanted and fond ways to manipulate the bottom of my deck for Grenzo. Another important thing I wanted to do was when choosing between a creature or noncreature I went with the creature this way I can still blind hit a lot of cards. One of the nice things about playing into the Goblin synergy is that I can cast Grenzo as a 2/2 and not only have access to a bunch of cards, but it doesn't take much for him to be bigger and start hitting more stuff. Quick break down of how he hits things

0-2 power: 25/41

3 power: 3/41

4 power: 5/41

5 power: 6/41

6 power: 2/41

I do have a few nonbasics missing that are obvious inclusions, but they were super expensive and I figured that money was better spent elsewhere.

Over all the deck is pretty different from what I was expecting, but I'm happy with it over all. No idea when I'll get all the cards together but eventually I will make this deck irl.

Because I'm poor and don't want to drop $14 on Humility I've been looking for a card to replace it. I think my only options are Suppression Field and Torpor Orb since the thing I most cared about from Humility was turning off creature effects. ATM I'm leaning towards Orb since I feel like it will stop a lot more things that I care about and it doesn't screw me over nearly as much as Field.

Also, if a deck is only going to run one, should they go with Eternal Witness or Greenwarden of Murasa? I feel like in GWX decks its easily Witness since you have a few ways to really get max value out of her, but I'm not sure about other colors. Curious what you all think.

I second EWit. Warden seems to be more a beater with utility attached than a card you play specifically to recur. Plus, EWit doesn't self-exile.

Also, Flame, here's the Grenzo review I owe you. Generally a very solid build, though. Some cards that I see which immediately stand out as underwhelming are:

Chancellor of the Forge

Homura, Human Ascendant

Goblin General

Weirding Shaman

Coat of Arms (this has bit me in the ass way too many times to count)

Minions' Murmurs

Lavaclaw Reachs

Some you could consider adding are:

Boggart Shenanigans

Goblin Lackey

Goblin Ringleader

Goblin Wizard

Read the Bones

Skirk Fire Marshal

I second EWit. Warden seems to be more a beater with utility attached than a card you play specifically to recur. Plus, EWit doesn't self-exile.

Also, Flame, here's the Grenzo review I owe you. Generally a very solid build, though. Some cards that I see which immediately stand out as underwhelming are:

Chancellor of the Forge

Homura, Human Ascendant

Goblin General

Weirding Shaman

Coat of Arms (this has bit me in the ass way too many times to count)

Minions' Murmurs

Lavaclaw Reachs

Some you could consider adding are:

Boggart Shenanigans

Goblin Lackey

Goblin Ringleader

Goblin Wizard

Read the Bones

Skirk Fire Marshal

I actually like Chancellor since he can dump a lot of Goblins into play at once. Even with a small board he can easily come with 3 or 4 friends.

Homura is just another anthem effect. Slow, but if it goes online its pretty powerful since it also gives evasion. Hitting off Grenzo is a plus too.

General was actually cut. I saw he was $5 and was like, nope, not worth it. Put in Wardriver and might end up cutting that for Drana.

No Weirding? Really? He seems really good in the deck since he can start building up Goblin tokens again after things go wrong. It is slow though.

Coat does have that issue, but it has such high upside and I can play it so it doesn't bite me that hard.

Minions' Murmurs was just more card draw. Can get me a ton of cards but also very little. Read might be better for the Grenzo interaction.

Lavaclaw is just a duel land. I'm sure I can find better. Though I'd cut the Gain 1 life lands before cutting this.

Boggart Shenanigans seemed pretty slow and I'd rather just play Blood Artist or the new version in BFZ. Not being able to Grenzo it is also a pretty big downside.

I might end up putting Lackey in. I figured with 26 goblins I would only need one variant of the effect. Would need to play to see if I want it. If I were to add Lackey I doubt I'd want Wizard also.

Ringleader is pretty bad imo. He only hits about 1/4 cards and he can bottom stuff I don't want there. Doesn't seem worth it.

Fire Marshal was in consideration for a while, but then I saw he blows up my board and that didn't seem like something I'd want to do.

No Weirding? Really? He seems really good in the deck since he can start building up Goblin tokens again after things go wrong. It is slow though.

Minions' Murmurs was just more card draw. Can get me a ton of cards but also very little. Read might be better for the Grenzo interaction.

Ringleader is pretty bad imo. He only hits about 1/4 cards and he can bottom stuff I don't want there. Doesn't seem worth it.

Fire Marshal was in consideration for a while, but then I saw he blows up my board and that didn't seem like something I'd want to do.

Weirding Shaman is just too slow, and you don't have much ramp so I wouldn't bother wasting your mana on it. I like Goblin Warrens better, because it costs one less to activate and you get one more ETB trigger.

Read the Bones > Minions' Murmurs. I've tested both in similar decks (my online Gisa build). Trust me on this.

Ringleader gives you much-needed card advantage. I'd at least test him before discounting him so quickly.

Fire Marshal can't blow himself up due to protection from red. Think of it as an instant-speed board wipe for when you're in a pinch. He can also kill your opponents if they're all low on life.

Weirding Shaman is just too slow, and you don't have much ramp so I wouldn't bother wasting your mana on it. I like Goblin Warrens better, because it costs one less to activate and you get one more ETB trigger.

Read the Bones > Minions' Murmurs. I've tested both in similar decks (my online Gisa build). Trust me on this.

Ringleader gives you much-needed card advantage. I'd at least test him before discounting him so quickly.

Fire Marshal can't blow himself up due to protection from red. Think of it as an instant-speed board wipe for when you're in a pinch. He can also kill your opponents if they're all low on life.

I will give you that Shaman is really slow. Its mostly in here as a way to rebuild when things go wrong and I'm sure they will and as a mana sink should dI run out of stuff. Though I suppose Grenzo is already filling that void, even if its only hitting about 1/3 times.

I can certainly see cutting Murmurs for Read and you saying it is better is something I'll trust. Plus one less card to get.

I just don't think it does though. The base odds are 1/4 to draw a card and I see that going down. I have other sources for card advantage and Grenzo also provides some.

I honestly missed the Pro Red interaction with the effect. It certainly does make for a decent panic button. I could see cutting Attrition for it.

Reporting back from around two pages ago to say Bane of Progress is testing really well as a noncreature boardwipe. Like, at this point I couldn't care less about the body it provides. Searching a wipe with Summoner's Pact, Green Sun's Zenith, or Chord of Calling is legit as hell, especially in my grindy control build.

Bane is super good. He blows up your stuff so not every deck will want him, but when he is good he is amazing. Bane, Terastodon, and Woodfall are some of the the best noncreture removal you can ask for.

Also, since I was just discussing my deck, how do people like me posting the deck as 2 images vs. writing out a list. I personally think the picture is WAY easier but thats just me.

Also, since I was just discussing my deck, how do people like me posting the deck as 2 images vs. writing out a list. I personally think the picture is WAY easier but thats just me.

Sign up for a TappedOut or Deckstats account and use that. It's much easier to process the list of information you're presenting like that.

Sign up for a TappedOut or Deckstats account and use that. It's much easier to process the list of information you're presenting like that.

I actually have a tapped out account. And yea, thats what my friends tell me. It just doesn't work for me. I know magic cards much better by picture than name so a deck list isn't super helpful. This is magnified in commander when its 99 cards compared to the 18 or so different cards a constructed deck plays. Still, if its easier for people here I'll post the decks on tapped out.

I really, really like the use of image. Super handy since I am almost always on mobile.

On the contrary, big images don't always load for me on mobile and they're hard to view effectively when they do. I much prefer TappedOut: the mobile site is easy to navigate. Besides, I more often recognize the names of cards than the pictures, particularly with older ones. They have too many printings to identify at first glance.

Archived