The Command Tower (EDH Hangout)

bury the year

BUMP!

I have another deck in the pipelines: a mono-white enchantress deck piloted by Heliod, with the affectionate nickname of #420praiseit. The main idea here is to control the board with your web of enchantments, until you can beat down your opponents with either a mess of Cleric and Angel tokens, or your commander enchanted with Armored Ascension/Ethereal Armor. Heck, with Starfield of Nyx out, you can let your enchantments themselves provide the beatings! BfZ gave me some nice toys to play with, namely Emeria Shepherd and Quarantine Field.

Any feedback is appreciated. (:

• Replies 845
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sounds like your taking a similar route that I did with Hanna. Durdle around and eventually make a critical mass of creatures or let everyone kill each other.

I know off the bat that Starfield isn't the best. Letting your opponents wraths and what not kill your enchantments honestly seems pretty bad. Replenish and Open the Vault are better imo.

Sounds like your taking a similar route that I did with Hanna. Durdle around and eventually make a critical mass of creatures or let everyone kill each other.

I know off the bat that Starfield isn't the best. Letting your opponents wraths and what not kill your enchantments honestly seems pretty bad. Replenish and Open the Vault are better imo.

Yeah, I can believe that. I didn't see Starfield in the game I played tonight, but I can see where you're coming from.

On that note, this deck performed really well. I only lost because I forgot to play a Plains to get Emeria online before the critical turn (needed a flying blocker for Prossh).

• 2 weeks later...

That isn't really what I'm looking for. I want something that can let me cash in mana for more card. Its why I gave Treasure Trove as my example. I just feel like something has to exist that can let me draw a bunch for less than 4 mana per use.

Though your point of me not caring about what my opponents draw is making me consider Standstill more since I can keep buying it back with Hanna.

Its on my to get list. It a little expensive which is why I'm waiting on picking it up. The reason I'm drawn to Standstill is because its easy enough to keep getting back thanks to Hanna and Sun Titan. Plus if I'm doing that I'd assume different players will end up breaking the Standstill. Does Standstill really draw upset people that much though?

The other card I've been considering is Compulsion.

People view Standstill as a prison card, rather than card draw, drawing a lot of hate toward it. At least, that is my experience.

Compulsion looks cool, but a little too fair for my tastes. If it is strong enough for your local metagame, go for it.

Interesting. I'm honestly not sure how I would feel about an opponent having a standstill out. I guess it would depend on the board and how badly I want to cast something.

Yea, thats my problem with it. Honestly, all the examples of reusable card draw just seem fair. Like, I would have expected Treasure Trove to be the base line with more powerful versions existing, but I honestly haven't found any.

Still going to try it. If it draw aggression I'll try Compulsion since I REALLY don't know what else I can do for another card draw engine. As I said originally I wanted something like Treasure Trove, just less bad but sadly that doesn't seem to exist.

Heightened Awareness? Works from an empty hand.

Attunement is fine as well, but you need to have cards in hand before playing it or you'll be sad.

So, a little discussion relating to one of the age-old questions in Commander.

No, not the "what do I cut to make room for X card" conundrum. That's an age-old question in any trading card game.

I'm talking about playgroup power creep. Someone's going to slam down Omni prematurely, or resolve Armageddon, or take too many extra turns in succession, eventually creating a situation where everyone else is generally not having a good time if not answered with swiftly. Sometimes they effectively jump 3 turns ahead of everyone else with turn 1 Land-Sol Ring-Signet and resolve their commander on turn 2. And we can't always count on a player running blue to be readily available in each pod.

A mixture of bad memories and salt will eventually offset this by having that player become the prime target of the table before they even do anything (I've played Neku, I experience this regularly). But when 2 or more people get into this tier, everyone else outside the tier ends up sitting out, feeling bad, and/or glaring at the offenders.

What do you do when several players begin playing to win at the expense of the rest of everyone else's fun? Do you force yourself to adapt and line your deck with similar degeneracy? Do you create different decks for different power tiers and playgroups? Does the playgroup establish/enforce house rules to rein in the arms race?

I'm the guy he tends to ruin the fun for everyone since my decks were far more tuned than everyone else's. Its been helped a little by my desire tidiest built decks so I have a range of power levels, but ultimately my friends just started getting better. This was also helped by a new friend joining the play group and another getting a pretty powerful deck from his GF. My having so many decks has also resulted in people just borrowing from me.

Aside from the infamous "pointless armageddon" which actually ended with the player walking out on our playgroup, we tend to kinda just get better. Our playgroup has tons on combo, tons of control, tons of OTKs, it certainly isn't the "creatures punching creatures" format intended with EDH, but we made it our own thing.

Also, thoughts on Perilous Vault for yet another boardwipe in Damia?

What do you do when several players begin playing to win at the expense of the rest of everyone else's fun? Do you force yourself to adapt and line your deck with similar degeneracy? Do you create different decks for different power tiers and playgroups? Does the playgroup establish/enforce house rules to rein in the arms race?

Usually I'm forced to adapt. Most of the people at my playgroup have pretty low powered decks while my Roon deck is pretty tightly tuned and brutally powerful for someone who's never seen it work. I know I'm guilty of causing a lot of salt by locking out the board and slowly dismantling my opponents board while beating them down. I've cut a lot of "unfair" cards from the deck to keep it more in line with the power level of my meta. Every now and them a bunch of guys come from the next city over with their crazy T1 decks packing mana crypts and turn 1 smokestacks and all that degenerate horseshit and completely ruin the night for everyone. Most people at my store lack the resources to get a hold of those powerful cards so we've put a soft ban on any kind of deck that can win before turn 5 just to keep commander night as a fun social experience and not some kind of singleton Vintage derpfest. There is a lot of metagaming in my group though. Everyone knows what commanders people are playing now and pick hate cards accordingly if they can get a hold of them.

uFFKare.jpg

Like, I run crazy powerful cards like Yawgmoth's Will, Azusa, Obliterate, etcetera, but I make sure the attitude in-game stays good. That is why my... I guess it would be ex-friend... really frustrated me when he played an armageddon without a dominant board. Like, another player at the table had a god damn luminarch ascension up and working, and he played an armageddon. We were upset that he extended a game by an hour, since he played a game-sealing card without really any way to follow up aside from starting over, and he just did the usual "if I can win 100% of the time I use this card, why wouldn't I use it?" which is bullshit, because he won that game off of bullshit luck. Sorry to rant, but when people adopt that mindset, especially in EDH, it really pisses me off.

Also, I guess I should join properly!

I am Bill, I run Shattergang Brothers, and I can't be bothered to look at the application form so I hope this is enough information!

I personally have a Narset deck that has as much rudeness as I would permit - Armageddon, Ruination, Decree of Annihilation, extra combats, no extra turns though. Just one really long turn. I title it "I Wanna Be That Guy", but I only bust her out on rare occasions either to demonstrate to those who haven't witnessed her, or to match an opponent's equally dumb deck and force them to draw their attention and resources towards stopping me.

One Narset deployment is usually enough Narset for the rest of the fortnight. My other decks are more benign.

Archived