Archetype Generator Meta

Draconus297

Why is the Cxyz a Synchro?

I'm also pretty sure that Gleam's first effect is supposed to be optional.

1. Likely a typo because he also did another member for the Chaos Synchro archetype that was a collab in the Synchro Game thread. Check it out if you want.

2. I personally still use the "if/when" thing to denote optional/mandatory effects; why Konami keeps changing it, I don't know. But new wording makes "if" do both. 

I mean some decks could probably get a single link monster and be fine. However, Konami has been weird about that, giving them to Decks that don't need them rather than the Decks that do. SPYRALs and Subterrors? Seriously? I also heard that Noble Knights are getting support as well. May be cool, but after playing the Deck at locals for a half year it was pretty stale.

Despite that most of the Decks that spam Synchros or Xyz can already do the same thing for Link monsters. Link Summoning is essentially Xyz and Synchro Summoning without the Level requirements. 

The nerf to Pendulums could also mean a change in playstyle. Pendulum Decks with Link monsters as an archetype is a pretty easy feat to accomplish. Otherwise, we could see the monsters act more as continuous spells that double as monsters, which was what I liked about them in the first place.

Who knows. Maybe after enough Link monsters come out it'll be less of a problem. It may actually improve the viability of Decks that couldn't Xyz or Synchro Summon since their levels were janky and they had to go out of their way using generic Tuners to Synchro Summon. 

1. Yeah, that's the main issue. A lot of them need 1-2 Links and they should be okay for setting themselves up like in the old days. As for other stuff that doesn't really need it, Subterror one is implicit Shaddoll food whereas Double Helix is probably another option for them. 

2. Maybe, but that depends on whether Konami wants to throw old Decks a line or just butter Yusaku/Cyberse even more than needed.

• Replies 4.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

CSGHD is actually mandatory, just like its baby form, Shining Hope Dragon. Shining Hope commits suicide on Synchro Summon, but gives you 2000 LP any way you Special Summon it. However, I do intend to make Devastating Despair Dragon's Synchro Summon of it optional, so that you can just toss its 3300 body on board without jumping through hoops.

Notable Chaos engines include, but are not limited to:

Penumbral Fair (LIGHT and DARK, and their non-Pendulum members are pretty dead in the Graveyard because their revival is pretty scarce)

WormDoll (LIGHT and DARK Flip Fusion, and tossing a BLS Envoy in the middle of a bunch of spooky scary Fusions could actually startle people)

Reptile Chaos (Chaoserpent is Pot of Greed when it's banished from the Graveyard, admittedly on a HOPT, and searches a DARK Reptile when it hits the Graveyard anyway, so . . . yeah)

And I think that's about it that I've noticed.

I'll just address some of your R1 remarks for the AGM contest, but as per series 10 OCG, material is technically lowercase nowadays (refer to Cipher Blade Dragon; well, it just mentioned material so relying on you to figure out that the materials are [x]; usually for Xyz anyway). Series 9 had it capitalized when marking Fusion, Synchro, Xyz.

If this card is used as material for a Link Summon: You can target 1 other Level 4 or lower Cyberse monster in your GY, that was used as material for that Link Summon;Special Summon it in Defense Position. You can only use this effect of "Stack Reviver" once per Duel.

You can discard 1 card; Special Summon 1 "Mecha Phantom Beast Token" (Machine/WIND/Level 3/ATK 0/DEF 0), also you cannot use monsters as materials for a Fusion, Synchro, Xyz, or Link Summon for the rest of this turn, except "Mecha Phantom Beast" monsters. This card's Level is increased by the total Levels of all "Mecha Phantom Beast Tokens" you control. While you control a Token, this card cannot be destroyed by battle or card effects.

First one is already printed on Stack Reviver, so it is lowercase. (You need to be consistent on which style of OCG you are grading on; ARC-V or VRAINS.)

===

Not that it helps Catman (or whoever else you marked down) much with the clarification, but yeah.

(Tinkerer, please make sure you are consistent with grading as well, because there were some changes to grammar between series 9/10 besides the obvious).

===

That out of the way, I will probably update HRC tomorrow with the final Synchro and maybe the Level 9 Synchro / Level 5 corresponding Tuner as an addition to make it worth the delay in updating. Having to run the Postseason as well isn't helping.

We're doing a hybrid card text that uses some Series 10 fixes (Transfer is a notable one, as is the new Quick Effect text), some of the ease-of-understanding Series 9 text (Material being consistently capitalized like every other game area or mechanic, bar hand- Deck, Summon, Zone, Graveyard, etc; retaining -Type), and a bit of flopping (GY and Graveyard are both acceptable, for instance).

Did you make this clear to participants in the OP (that you and Tinkerer would be doing this sort of thing)? Because by this point, some of them should have switched to Series 10 and likely will have similar concerns to why their OCG score was lowered (when it is technically correct under VRAINS wording).

Think only Aman Indra uses the style I use for card grammar; everyone else more/less copies Konami's thing. (Admittedly, it's a larger pain in the ass to type the circled numbers; even with parenthesized numbers as a sub.)

=====

Then again, this also serves as a reminder to update my OCG grading when I get time to do the CC tournaments. I think those got put off due to coursework and roped to do Leaderboard again for another season. (It may be in you guys' best interest to participate in them from time to time; see how you stack up)

Well, it's been a while, and I haven't worked on any AGM archetypes after our group one. So for my next project, I think I'll work on one of the following three:

Fuzzbuster

A set of EARTH Thunder-types that are level 5 and have high DEF but 0 ATK. They all have 3 effects: First, they can all swap their original ATK/DEF whenever they're in attack position, making them surprisingly effective beaters. However, if the total levels of your opponent's monsters are HIGHER than 5, the Fuzzbusters realize they're outmatched and negate their own effects. Their third effects are what makes them so effective at dust-busting: when your opponent has a grand total of 2 levels or less among their monsters, they get really powerful continuous effects that could shut down your opponent's turn if they're not careful.

Their Spell/Trap lineup is odd. Half of them seem to require that you have monsters whose effects are negated, while others focus on your opponent's monsters' levels (or lack of them). Their effects range from slapping counters on opponent monsters which reduce levels and negate effects, to Summoning out bunches of these guys at once. Unfortunately, they don't have a field spell to call their own, but with their surprising control and even some stun tactics, they're quite a capable force even without one.

Nightwalker

Hidden in the deep shadows, lives the creatures of the night. Spiders, Bugs, Bats, Owls, all of them, in creepy human form. This deck focuses on Special Summoning some huge Monsters to your opponents side of the field for various effects like dealing burn damage, negation, hand destruction, field destruction, stuff like that. And if your opponent tributes them or gets rid of them in anyway, their special summoned to your side of the field with their effects negated, and then u can quickly Xyz summon into one of the 3 Xyz Monsters that destroy the monsters your opponent controls and inflicts damage, negates, stuff like that. There annoying and take any chance to stop your opponent from doing things.

Prysm

Prysm:Magician Girls::Windows 7:Windows Vista

That is, the same basic function, but better in every conceivable way.

Prysm is a low-Level archetype of Spellcasters with theme naming around the six major colors of the rainbow (sorry, indigo), each with a different type of protection (one can't be destroyed by battle, one is immune to targeting, another's effects are immune to negation, etc). Then, each one can tag out to another member UA-style if it's attacked, halving the attacker's ATK and increasing the new girl's stats by both the lost ATK of the poor bastard you got to attack you, and half the ATK of the girl who brought her out, until the end of the Battle Phase. Unfortunately, each girl can only jump away once per turn, so if your opponent is smart about their attacks (or, y'know, runs UtL) they can still get some hits in.

However, the "better" comes in full force when you consider their really solid support lineup- a Continuous Spell that forces your opponent to attack with every monster they control, a Field Spell that lets the girls use their effects if they attack, and basically the best search card in the game.

That said, their stats are on the low side, with Red (their biggest, strongest member) being kinda weak by Level 6 standards, and as mentioned earlier Armades effects kill their entire playstyle, and Superheavy Samurai don't give a rat's ass about their ATK being halved. Still . . . magical girls that tag out to each other to overcome powerful threats has to be one of the most fun archetype ideas ever.

If my vote makes that Gol'gar thing in the Chaos Synchro thread legitimate for AGM, then go for it.

As for Tinkerer not showing up with his grades, he's been gone since the 7th (so roughly a week). What's going on with him is unknown [probably school or some personal issue out of his control]; do you have contact with him on Skype/FB or whatever? If he fails to show up for a period of time, then you'll likely have to solo grade on your own.

Until further notice, just assume you're solo grading the AGM contest. At this point, no one's really commented on your marks so guess they're okay with it. 

(I may have to do a CC general tournament; likely the match winner retrain theme. We'll see how it goes / how busy I will be in 2 weeks.)

====

Right, and guess I should dump the ED stuff from the Synchro/Xyz games I made into the generic pool (after some modifications to the templating, which should be inverting the position of Level and Attribute; I think.)

You were actually relatively generous with your reviews. I'm pretty sure if everyone's getting an A something is wrong.

Also, is there going to be an end grade where the whole archetype you've made is reviewed as a whole? This is my first time in one of these contests, so idk.

No. The grading gets increasingly critical in each Phase, as it considers errors in the new stuff, as well as goofed interactions with the earlier stuff. The only reason everyone did so well this time (bar Catman) is because I legitimately didn't expect that excellent a turnout on the monster front.

At least with this contest, you're somewhat proving to the rest of YCM / CC that you know what constitutes good/bad design and can grade fairly, so...that kinda helps you. But then again, some of the vets have their own interpretations of what is considered good/bad that differs from you (and me, though I only do 1 card entry tournaments; don't have time to be grading full on sets), so...may not really sway any decisions either.

(At bare minimum, you've at least expanded to the contest areas of CC as opposed to staying in Casual/Advanced.)

=====

Let's see how they do in round 2.

Fine with me. 

I know a certain member was viewing it earlier (and likely has some thoughts about its flavor/design as a whole, but he and the rest of us see things in that regard in a different manner). But this isn't the place to criticize other users, so will leave it at this. To be fair, they do need a bit more even with the ARC-V buff cards [or least something that isn't "Gyzarus spam.dek"; said episode triggered some vets].

=====

Also, not because I want that new Level 12 RDA in here, but I wish to nominate Resonators for AGM. 

Aliens (2/3 - Draconus, Sakura)

Resonators (1/3 - Sakura) (I'm still checking their members)

I'm doing Logicangel, if anyone wants to know. Halfway through their monster lineup, too.

Also, I'd suggest Genex as a joke, but knowing what happened last time I made a joke (WE ADDED RULERS ENTIRELY ACCIDENTALLY) I think I'll pass.

Aliens (2/3 - Draconus, Sakura)

Resonators (1/3 - Sakura) (I'm still checking their members)

I'm doing Logicangel, if anyone wants to know. Halfway through their monster lineup, too.

Also, I'd suggest Genex as a joke, but knowing what happened last time I made a joke (WE ADDED RULERS ENTIRELY ACCIDENTALLY) I think I'll pass.

Aliens and Resonators get my vote. Aliens were a tad fun, and even though I don't like Resonator's dependence on already having a Synchro monster, I still like them a little.

As far as I recall, Genex doesn't have a whole lot going for them. They can add, but they can hardly Summon, and most of their members aren't worth Summoning (including most Synchro monsters).

Well, unless we made legacy support.

Probably better if we just leave them out, or otherwise someone goes and makes a refined version with far less members and stuff. 

Right, and I'm also going to make a note that I have added the final HRC Synchro (and although I'm not exactly proud of it, a WATER line featuring a Level 5 Tuner / Level 9 Synchro; latter was an idea I made in the Synchro game). I have not bumped the thread, but updated otherwise. So, when Draco and Tinkerer ever get to it, you have the option of making a Level 6 DARK Tuner (with Level 10 Synchro) and of course, fleshing out the backrow (because I literally only made 1 Trap Card). Maybe I'll add more on later, but right now, yeah. 

=====

Now to do some other stuff. 

https://forum.yugiohcardmaker.net/topic/339517-archetype-generator-meta/page-107?p=7003600&do=findComment&comment=7003600

Leaving there as a backlog note thing for whenever I get time between coursework, writing my offsite fanfic and doing other stuff in the meantime.

====

So yeah, I may be taking a break from strictly AGM design to focus on designing for Standard format (because Konami lacks a Legacy format, and no one else is really using the opportunity for designing stuff). No, the Legacy tag is not exclusive to us.

Archived