Archetype Generator Meta

Draconus297

Current issue with Skyfangs is lack of GY recursion outside Seal; it isn't bad, but considering the Deck runs through its resources very fast (well, from what I could test pre-Helmer/Dyna/Seal), yeah. Shuffling stuff back into the Deck would be good too, if only to give Beat another chance at searching. 

IDK, archetypal equivalent of Pot of Avarice would be good for them. (Speaking of that, I did add Draco's nerfed version into the generics pool)

iU8EggM.png

EDIT: They have one slot left, so probably might be that type of card or something else. Hopefully Konami doesn't sheet on them.

• Replies 4.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

[spoiler=February Deck Challenge]Monsters
3 Oxygeddon
3 Hydrogeddon
3 Carboneddon
2 Nitrogeddon
2 Neoneddon
1 Anthracedon
1 Methyleddon Dragon
1 Hydroxygeddon Dragon
1 Carbonyleddon Dragon

Backrow
3 Isotize
3 Mass Bonding
3 Decay Material
3 True Alchemic Force
3 D.D. Tempest
2 Fossil Dig

2 Proxydon
3 Furious Fusion

1 Raigeki
1 Monster Reborn

Extra
2 DiHydrogeddon
2 DiOxygeddon
2 Diamond Carboneddon
1 Tribond Nitrogeddon
1 Nitrodioxygeddon
2 Carbodioxygeddon
1 Hydrogen Isotope - Deutereddon
1 Rarefind Carboneddon Isotope
1 Ancient Bio-Radioisotope Carboneddon
1 Superheavy Oxygeddon Isotope
1 Radioisotope Neoneddon

Replaced Jurrasic Revitalization with a Monster Reborn.  Furious Fusion is the best fusion for the deck not only b/c of its aggro play, but also because all the basic Fusions have named materials.  Proxydon provides targeting protection + named material bonus.  Decided to just fill the Extra with more copies of the Fusions that were more likely to be summoned since they benefit from the named materials shtick.

I'm waiting to see if their names get translated. I'm not going to commit to another archetype that might get a name censor/alteration before it hits the TCG. I just got done fixing all the goofed names I added in the wake of the Wave of Light Structure Deck getting revealed, I'm not going to give myself another half hour of work.

I shall wait patiently. However, whatever name the Skyfang Brigade is under when their flags are flown in the TCG, I'll be sure to add them. Acceptable?

Fair enough, though I don't think there is much to censor/alter in terms of Skyfang names. It's not like Magical Musketeers where the literal/rough translation of "Madan" translated to "magical bullet". Seriously, Charge of the Light Brigade exists and no one's throwing fit about it; same with cards that have "Fang" in the name. 

Brandish Maiden might, but because it's Links, we don't talk about it. 

(tl;dr, Konami can either do translations properly or give unnecessary censors)

I'm well aware. Still, Konami's translations aren't always exactly 1-to-1, even on things that don't require censorship. "Weathery" became "Weather Painter", "Lightlord" became "Lightsworn", "Hope" became "Utopia", and "Gem Beast" became "Crystal Beast", which may one day lead to a cataclysmic event in which Gem-Knight support is unified with Crystal Beast support through some contrived nonsense.

So you're on a mission to review AGM archetypes as they come out? Interesting.

Well, mine rarely get any reviews, and quite a few other AGM sets don't either. I think that as we expand as a format, it's important that we get some critique early on before the get fully integrated with the rest of our format.

It probably help if you do review (even if there isn't anything busted); would keep the section alive as opposed to watching the other usuals post varying levels of design in CC (and otherwise contributing to the stagnation in CC overall). Because you know, no one really gets reviewed. 

I might review stuff too, but that's usually when my workload drops.

Finished with the February Deck.  Decided to change a little and focus a bit more on the named Fusion materials gimmick.

Oddly been drawing a blank on Sea of Chaos.  Thinking I'll do another archetype and maybe come back to it later.  Anyways, planning on posting a support set for a little-loved group of cards later that I hope to be integrated into the AGM (I'd have initially posted them in generics, but the set kinda grew into its own thing, a la the Chemistry Dinos).

Queue:

Performapal (2/3 - Kyumi, Champion)

Odd-Eyes (2/3 - Kyumi, Dova)

Majespecter (2/3 - Sakura, Nyx)

lswarm, bar Origin and Ophion (2/4 - Nyx, Dova)

Elementsaber/Elemental Lord (2/3 - Sakura, Melon)

Dracoslayer/Dracoverlord, bar Amorphactor Pain (2/3 - Melon, Sakura)

Metalfoes, bar Electrumite (2/3 - Sakura, Dova)

Galaxy, bar "Number 38: Hope Harbinger Dragon Titanic Galaxy", "Number 42: Galaxy Tomahawk", "Number 62: Galaxy-Eyes Prime Photon Dragon", "Number 83: Galaxy Queen", "Number 95: Galaxy-Eyes Dark Matter Dragon", "Number 107: Galaxy-Eyes Tachyon Dragon", and "Number 107: Neo Galaxy-Eyes Tachyon Dragon"(2/4 - Sakura, Draconus)

Lightsworn, bar Curious (1/3 - Kyumi)

Qli, bar Genius (1/3 - Dova)

Zefra, bar Metaltron (1/3 - Dova)

I added my vote to Galaxy, because they're pretty harmless once the Numbers get excised.

Offhand, someone make a decision for me: split BB and DD between New and Old. I'm going to do something in my Legacy thread, but I don't want to give any one archetype both of the cards I have planned. So, I'm splitting them between two things that work well together.

My support handled that for them. Cipher/Photon is a Deck that now very comfortably makes Rank 4 and 8, and can even do a little bit of Fusion with help from Platunes.

Also, anyone who fancies themselves up to a challenge can make a Mindsealer Superego in the form of a Synchro 9 or Rank 3, if they so desire. Mindsealer monsters are in the Generics thread, as 3 Level 3 DARK Spellcasters (Logos is a Tuner), plus a Level 9 DARK Dragon (Ego) and a Level 6 DARK Fusion Dragon (Id).

https://forum.yugiohcardmaker.net/topic/370965-metalmorph-support-written/?p=7080233

...yeah, I kinda got carried away with these, but I was hoping someone might bump these into the AGM (at least the ones that can be summoned).  I still plan to add to 'em (Metalizing the Yu-boys' Dragons, add some more Metal versions of rival cards, other fan favorites, etc.).  I'll probably toss up some more Metal versions of AGM cards as well (at the very least, I've gotta make a Metal Mellaxis).

Btw, I'm not sure having a searchable monster that locks out the whole Extra Deck bar pendulums is the safest card to have sitting in our pool (Lady of the Night Sky).

https://forum.yugiohcardmaker.net/topic/370965-metalmorph-support-written/?p=7080233

...yeah, I kinda got carried away with these, but I was hoping someone might bump these into the AGM (at least the ones that can be summoned). I still plan to add to 'em (Metalizing the Yu-boys' Dragons, add some more Metal versions of rival cards, other fan favorites, etc.). I'll probably toss up some more Metal versions of AGM cards as well (at the very least, I've gotta make a Metal Mellaxis).

Btw, I'm not sure having a searchable monster that locks out the whole Extra Deck bar pendulums is the safest card to have sitting in our pool (Lady of the Night Sky).

Pretty sure we've all gotten carried away at some point in this club. I put too much protection on some of my stuff back then.

Also, if I may:

Could I change our Counter Trap Card for Übeldrache to require the Tribute to be an "Übeldrache" monster instead? It seems much too powerful to allow you to Tribute any monster.

Yeah, that's fine. Don't give any Decks degenerate sheet that they don't deserve. 

Then again, the legacy backrow I made for them technically let you Tribute them to trigger stuff (similarly to True Draco, but not as busted). 

With that in mind though, most of my sets tend to follow a pattern (searcher, aid summoning, retrieve stuff, blow stuff up, etc), so they can be cookie-cutter a bit. Though it generally works, since searchers are VERY important and getting stuff on board also helps. 

Another of my general design quirks; try to give effect immunity because hell knows how much removal exists nowadays. Would be nice to anti-Kaiju too, but it's bad design to specifically say "no Kaiju'ing" (unless you require a ton of investment to make it, in which case, yeah, make it Kaiju proof).

Duly noted, Melon. Now, Lady of the Night Sky only locks you out of the ED (bar Pendulum) if you give into the temptation of using her 9 Scale. Imagine it- you set the Scales with Nice Gneiss and Lady of the Night Sky, giving your opponent the temptation of completely generic 0 and 9 Scales that they didn't even have to put into play. But, the moment they do so . . . You draw cards, and they're unable to use their much-needed Extra Deck.

Also, if you want to see "going overboard", remember that I made an archetype that can fill a Legendary Collection (150 cards) mostly by itself. You're fine. Hell, if you made a dupe thread or side post that removed the monsters that aren't in the AGM, I'd happily vote them in.

Yeah, that's fine. Don't give any Decks degenerate sheet that they don't deserve.

Then again, the legacy backrow I made for them technically let you Tribute them to trigger stuff (similarly to True Draco, but not as busted).

With that in mind though, most of my sets tend to follow a pattern (searcher, aid summoning, retrieve stuff, blow stuff up, etc), so they can be cookie-cutter a bit. Though it generally works, since searchers are VERY important and getting stuff on board also helps.

Another of my general design quirks; try to give effect immunity because hell knows how much removal exists nowadays. Would be nice to anti-Kaiju too, but it's bad design to specifically say "no Kaiju'ing" (unless you require a ton of investment to make it, in which case, yeah, make it Kaiju proof).

Then I'll get to it somewhere this upcoming week.

Well, it makes sense. If an archetype falters in Special Summoning or adding, it's usually going to perform poorly in the game.

I myself try to include adding and Summoning, and have tried to calm down on protection. One trait I still follow is that an archetype I make should have at least 7 Main Deck monsters. For me, it's not a full archetype without at least 7 Main Deck monsters (so you can choose to run them pure if you want). Otherwise, they're just an engine. But that's just my perspective.

Considering the power creep, yeah, you pretty much need summoning power and searchability to survive. Though then again, having a big enough Main Deck is important too so you don't have to run side engines. Just don't make it TOO big or you end up outclassing existing members.

I didn't necessarily say Special Summoning, since we got True Draco and Monarchs who are Tribute Summon oriented and are competitive; latter a bit more nowadays, former not so much because WATER member got banned (the Dinomist-themed one).

Need to address the backlog of stuff I was going to do, while handling other things for MR4 and then general CC business. 

Just reposted Yollohcoatl (desperate for some feedback ;-;), and I noticed this card:

Yollohcoatl Lines
Normal Spell

Send 1 Field Spell Card from your Deck to the GY; add 1 Field Spell Card with a different name to that card from your Deck to your hand. You can only activate 1 “Yollohcoatl Lines” per turn. If this card was not sent to the GY this turn: You can banish it from your GY; add 1 “Yollohcoatl” Spell/Trap Card from your Deck to your hand.

No idea what I was thinking when I designed it, as it's almost a worse version of Terraforming. But then, that got me thinking...do we have Terraforming in the AGM? Would this make an interesting alternative for Field Spell Decks, if we kept this but not Terraforming? Also, it can search itself. Hooray.

Archived