Archetype Generator Meta

Draconus297

• Replies 4.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Why? The Types themselves let you put in more generic support cards that don't actively break the game, and diversify what cards see play by adding to a Type that didn't exist before that point. I mean, Machines didn't exist until the third or fourth booster, and came in swinging with really good support for the time like Seven Completed and Limiter Removal.

Well, it's mostly an aesthetic thing, I feel like they're odd additions, like Cyberse and Sea Serpent. I feel like they had their bases covered already, and then they added other stuff. Did we need an in-between for Thunder and Machine, or for Fish and Dragon? I dunno. I just don't feel great about using them. It's personal taste, not a tactical choice.

As for Nyx's point... I'm kinda feeling like a 'curse' theme. Maybe "Cursect?" Curse + Insect?

Don't make cards you don't want to. As much as I love Cyberse for its idea in theming, like Psychic and Sea Serpent it wasn't a Type we needed. I mean, we had Electromagnetic Bagworm before Cyberse, and all Psychics could either be Thunder, Spellcaster or Machine. Wyrm is an exception, due to the fact that there was so much Dragon support already, and I can understand why they wanted to make it, and maybe that's for Cyberse too. But anywho...Thelema, due to the background, sounds like a flavourful idea. I'm not great at suggesting themes without already having an idea of the Typing/Attribute, however, so I got nothing.

also this better not be in the 5ds universe because im trying to make an rp in said universe

The weird thing is that Sea Serpent came out before Aqua, and I'm pretty sure it debuted with Fish. I think the initial thought was that Sea Serpents were going to be rarer, and take up all the bigger boss roles in oceanic Decks, but . . . just about anything that supports one supports the other. Even back then, I don't think Sea Serpents kept exclusively to mythological creatures, so I just really don't get why they exist.

I can understand Cyberse and Psychic, though- they allow for more specificity in Typing that expands out to include concepts that don't see much use in Yu-Gi-Oh. Like, I can't wait to see an archetype or LV line focused around Psychic-Type mutants that focus on looking at/controlling your opponent's hand or something. Cyberse puts a heavier focus on digital media which would otherwise just end in a bunch more Machine Duplication targets or search targets for Thunder Sea Horse. It's fun, it's legitimately interesting, and could definitely be expanded upon.

As long as they're trickled in slowly, and given support that functions uniquely, new Types can only be a good thing. My issue is with mechanics and archetypes that aren't completely thought through, given the support they deserve, or poorly presented . . . but that's another type of argument altogether.

(It feels good to be back on active duty...)

But yeah, I'm fine with DIVINE monsters and support being added to AGM. Also gives you guys the opportunity to design new ones that aren't the original 3. Just a reminder that you do have to post new ones in Casual until the ban on them in Advanced is lifted. (IIRC mostly because flavor, though I am aware that some members don't agree with it, and is a technical carryover that I inherited).

Draco, I'll reply to your post in my legacy thread. I did see it while on break via email notifications. 

Assuming they didn't already get the full votes needed, might as well push Shinobird/Cloudians in too. 

==========

As for Nyx, considering you want that profile music changed, you need to send me a YT link of the song you want. 

Both Cloudians and Shinobirds successfully got in. The updated queue:

Performapal (2/3 - Kyumi, Champion)

Odd-Eyes (2/3 - Kyumi, Dova)

Lightsworn, bar Curious (1/3 - Kyumi)

Elementsaber/Elemental Lord (1/3 - Sakura)

Interesting factoids:

●The only major DM character we haven't taken anything from is Mako Tsunami.

●We have the bosses of every GX villain except Darkness and Fujiwara.

●The only relevant 5Ds character we have yet to borrow any cards from is Crow.

●Yuma Tsukumo is the only pre-MR4 protagonist whose Deck is not represented in any way.

●The only Konami-created Pendulum archetypes we have were used from Yuya's body.

●The only Konami Pyro archetype we do not have is Volcanic.

●The only Konami Thunder archetype we do not have is Watt.

●The only DT 1 archetypes we're missing are Allies of Justice and Mist Valley, although I'd recommend not adding the latter.

●The only DT 2 archetypes we don't have are Vylons, Gishki, and lswarm.

●We have every dragon-riding Paladin (Paladin of White, Dark, Photon, and Cursed Dragon).

(It feels good to be back on active duty...)

But yeah, I'm fine with DIVINE monsters and support being added to AGM. Also gives you guys the opportunity to design new ones that aren't the original 3. Just a reminder that you do have to post new ones in Casual until the ban on them in Advanced is lifted. (IIRC mostly because flavor, though I am aware that some members don't agree with it, and is a technical carryover that I inherited).

Draco, I'll reply to your post in my legacy thread. I did see it while on break via email notifications.

Assuming they didn't already get the full votes needed, might as well push Shinobird/Cloudians in too.

==========

As for Nyx, considering you want that profile music changed, you need to send me a YT link of the song you want.

Already did, Sakura. You just haven't read the message I sent yet.

Also, welcome back to the site.

Both Cloudians and Shinobirds successfully got in. The updated queue:

Interesting factoids:

●The only major DM character we haven't taken anything from is Mako Tsunami.

●We have the bosses of every GX villain except Darkness and Fujiwara.

●The only relevant 5Ds character we have yet to borrow any cards from is Crow.

●Yuma Tsukumo is the only pre-MR4 protagonist whose Deck is not represented in any way.

●The only Konami-created Pendulum archetypes we have were used from Yuya's body.

●The only Konami Pyro archetype we do not have is Volcanic.

●The only Konami Thunder archetype we do not have is Watt.

●The only DT 1 archetypes we're missing are Allies of Justice and Mist Valley, although I'd recommend not adding the latter.

●The only DT 2 archetypes we don't have are Vylons, Gishki, and lswarm.

●We have every dragon-riding Paladin (Paladin of White, Dark, Photon, and Cursed Dragon).

I'd be all for the addition of the missing archetypes you listed in the bullet points (Volcanic and Duel Terminal ones). Though I can understand Mist Valley. Main gimmick is returning to the hand, and the only card people would use in the main game (Divine Wind of Mist Valley) may prove detrimental for our format. Or Apex Avain.

Well, Yuma's Deck is all over the place and doesn't have enough power or cohesiveness. So perhaps that's why.

And Mako? I'll be honest, until Yugioh Abridged, I didn't even know he existed. Even in this club, I guess no one really had interest or simply forgot about the guy.

Speaking of 5D's there is one character whose cards I'd want: Carly and her Fortune Lady archetype.

If you guys want to do Mako support, then sure. Problem is that most of his cards aren't particularly memorable or even usable (and I'm not talking about the legacy stuff he got), You know, the old Fish vanillas, Legendary Fisherman (#1) and Fortress Whale?

To be blunt, Shark got a better deal than him.

====

As for Konami Pendulum archetypes, I would probably vote in 'specters so we have something that isn't coming from Yuya. Or if you want to let Metalfoes in, sure. Dracoslayers sound good right about now.

Going off list of non-Yu based stuff:

• Igknights
  • Majespecter
  • Dinomist
  • Amorphage
  • Metalfoes
  • Mythical Beasts (VRAINS era)
  • Qliphort
  • Abyss Actor
  • D/D's (about half of them)
  • Zefra

Uh yeah, rest of the Konami Pendulum archetypes literally come out of him.

Take your pick.

If you guys want to do Mako support, then sure. Problem is that most of his cards aren't particularly memorable or even usable (and I'm not talking about the legacy stuff he got), You know, the old Fish vanillas, Legendary Fisherman (#1) and Fortress Whale?

To be blunt, Shark got a better deal than him.

====

As for Konami Pendulum archetypes, I would probably vote in 'specters so we have something that isn't coming from Yuya. Or if you want to let Metalfoes in, sure. Dracoslayers sound good right about now.

Going off list of non-Yu based stuff:

• Igknights
  • Majespecter
  • Dinomist
  • Amorphage
  • Metalfoes
  • Mythical Beasts (VRAINS era)
  • Qliphort
  • Abyss Actor
  • D/D's (about half of them)
  • Zefra
Uh yeah, rest of the Konami Pendulum archetypes literally come out of him.

Take your pick.

Fortress Whale and Legendary Fisherman did have support or at least retrains not too long ago. Though yeah, his Deck is rather generic otherwise.

I'd be fine with the addition of those Pendulum archetypes, too. Especially Majespecter, given their protection, adding, and in-archetype Solemn Strike.

Ooh, yeah. Fortune Ladies were nice aesthetically, but I feel like they're more of a supplement to high-level Synchro Decks.

Even so, we could add them and give them perhaps a little support. Mayhaps even a Synchro monster?

Synchro monster sounds like a plan, although that Type of monster isn't my Specialty. As to my opinion on the Pendulum Monsters...

• Igknights - Considering MR3, these might still be a problem.
  • Majespecter - Eh. Eh. Hesitant against them, but only from PTSD.
  • Dinomist - My only concern is Infinity. I love these guys.
  • Amorphage - These were always too locky for my taste. Not much fun to play against or with.
  • Metalfoes - idc either way, might make for some fun engine
  • Mythical Beasts (VRAINS era) - Spell Counters are gr8
  • Qliphort - I've always had a soft spot for these guys. If no one else has problems with them, I want them in.
  • Abyss Actor - I know almost nothing about these guys.
  • D/D's (about half of them) - Loved it when it first came out, hated how convoluted it got. Worse than Performapals, honestly.
  • Zefra - Love these guys still, especially their lore. Would love to see them in.

Here's that updated queue, then, massively expanded just by my bringing up trivia (Dova, we specifically barred Infinity):

Fortune Lady (2/3 - Nyx, Champion)

Majespecter (2/3 - Sakura, Nyx)

Mythical Beast (2/3 - Dova, Draconus)

Ally of Justice (1/3 - Nyx)

Gishki (1/3 - Nyx)

Vylon (1/3 - Nyx)

lswarm, bar Origin and maybe Ophion (1/3 - Nyx)

Volcanic (1/3 - Nyx)

Dinomist (1/3 - Dova)

Qli (1/3 - Dova)

Zefra (1/3 - Dova)

Now watch, someone's going to sweep off an uncomfortable amount of things by just mass approving everything everyone else did.

I'm going to re-watch the relevant LotW and Archetype Archive videos to check up on AoJ and Volcanics, respectively, and maybe give Dinomists and Fortune Ladies a by once I've looked through their support.

lswarm, bar Origin and Opinion (2/3 - Nyx, Dova)

Gishki (1/3 - Nyx)

Vylon (1/3 - Nyx)

Dinomist (1/3 - Dova)

Qli (1/3 - Dova)

Zefra (1/3 - Dova)

After watching both the AoJ LotW episode and the Volcanic Archetype Archive, I've approved those. I also vaguely looked at the wiki's list of Fortune Lady support. Dinomists were competitive at one point, so I'm going to have to go Decklist hunting to see why they were able to compete with Zoodiac.

Also, Dova, I think it's funny that you're scared of Igknights being busted but completely fine with Metalfoes, when Metalfoes are just objectively better Igknights in every way but Type.

I know I just suggested Red-Eyes which got in not too long ago, but anyone else feeling like we're bringing in too many Konami archetypes?

Hypocrite as I am though, I might as well offer my opinions on the ones currently on the list.  Out of the ones on the list that I care about in any way, I personally really dislike Majespecter in the way some people hate Lightsworn.  I cannot give solid reasoning for why they shouldn't be added though and I know Sakura particularly likes 'em, but I just wanted to lay that out there.

Dinomist seems like it would be fine to incorporate especially since Infinity isn't a thing here.  Not too powerful, but not weak either.  It strikes a nice balance and brings a rarely used typing to the table. +1 to Dinomist.

Similar reasoning as above for Mythical Beast, but I hesitate to throw my vote in for 'em until I look again at our Spell Counter support.  I believe we do have a few more powerful Spell Counter-based cards than the OCG, so until we take a look at them and ensure they aren't too overbearing, I'd strongly recommend holding off on voting them in.

+1s to Elementsaber/E-Lord, Vylon, and (if we don't already have it) the Dracoslayer/Dracoverlord archetypes (Barring the Dracoverlord Ritual)

Recall that I said that none of the legacy supports in that DP pack were considered last post. I know about Stronghold Whale; the other 2 Legendary Fishermen weren't used by him (though they probably should've been). 

But yeah, I'll go put in the vote for Metalfoes (and to be fair to them, Igknights) and Dinomist, though I need to playtest them a bit. And obviously, we are banning Electrumite because it is a Link (though it did make Pendulums suck less in VRAINS). Metalfoes get access to E-Teleport, whereas Igknights are RoTA and stuff. 

(Either way, this would permit me to add that ED monster that has dual membership; I think it's a Synchro that just needs either of them as non-Tuner material)

EDIT: And yeah, might as well add Luster Pendulum and friends too. 

Jesus funking Christ . . .

lswarm, bar Origin and Ophion (2/3 - Nyx, Dova)

Volcanic (2/3 - Nyx, Draconus)

Elementsaber/Elemental Lord (2/3 - Sakura, Melon)

Vylon (2/3 - Nyx, Melon)

Dinomist (2/3 - Dova, Melon)

Dracoslayer/Dracoverlord, bar Amorphactor Pain (2/3 - Melon, Sakura)

Metalfoes, bar Electrumite (2/3 - Sakura, Dova)

Gishki (1/3 - Nyx)

Qli (1/3 - Dova)

Zefra (1/3 - Dova)

Igknight (1/3 - Sakura)

Actually, every time new cards are revealed in full, I review them for adds. Weevil's and Pegasus's Millennium Pack stuff was all added, as was ADCC, Desperado Barrel Dragon, and BM-4 Bomb Spider. If a single can work in the card pool without being busted or pointless, it generally gets in without issue. We didn't have any of the other Sea Stealth dudes, and Citadel Whale seemed to belong to that other category- pointlessness. Of course, any of you can challenge the reasons for a card being in the accepted singles list in the OP, in case you think I or someone else made a hasty decision.

If I may, while we do have a lot of Konami archetypes, especially old ones (hell, I'm almost surprised that Aliens and Amazoness are our only full archetypes that debuted as archetypes in the DM era- we do have a few scattered Gadgets for some reason), that's to be expected. Most of us grew up on Yu-Gi-Oh, with favorite archetypes coming from years of playing a game we love. As long as we're not tipping over the card pool for memes, I'm sure we should be fine. Even with all the stuff we've added, the sheer size of archetypes, generics, and legacy support we've created means that most AGM cards were created by current or past members.

That said, most of us should design more.

Jesus funking Christ . . .

lswarm, bar Origin and Ophion (2/3 - Nyx, Dova)

Volcanic (2/3 - Nyx, Draconus)

Elementsaber/Elemental Lord (2/3 - Sakura, Melon)

Vylon (2/3 - Nyx, Melon)

Dinomist (2/3 - Dova, Melon)

Dracoslayer/Dracoverlord, bar Amorphactor Pain (2/3 - Melon, Sakura)

Metalfoes, bar Electrumite (2/3 - Sakura, Dova)

Gishki (1/3 - Nyx)

Qli (1/3 - Dova)

Zefra (1/3 - Dova)

Igknight (1/3 - Sakura)

Actually, every time new cards are revealed in full, I review them for adds. Weevil's and Pegasus's Millennium Pack stuff was all added, as was ADCC, Desperado Barrel Dragon, and BM-4 Bomb Spider. If a single can work in the card pool without being busted or pointless, it generally gets in without issue. We didn't have any of the other Sea Stealth dudes, and Citadel Whale seemed to belong to that other category- pointlessness. Of course, any of you can challenge the reasons for a card being in the accepted singles list in the OP, in case you think I or someone else made a hasty decision.

If I may, while we do have a lot of Konami archetypes, especially old ones (hell, I'm almost surprised that Aliens and Amazoness are our only full archetypes that debuted as archetypes in the DM era- we do have a few scattered Gadgets for some reason), that's to be expected. Most of us grew up on Yu-Gi-Oh, with favorite archetypes coming from years of playing a game we love. As long as we're not tipping over the card pool for memes, I'm sure we should be fine. Even with all the stuff we've added, the sheer size of archetypes, generics, and legacy support we've created means that most AGM cards were created by current or past members.

That said, most of us should design more.

You know what? You're right. Outside of Gifts, I haven't made a set in months from the Archetype Generator Meta. Mostly because the images for Waterlily up and disappeared back in late November, and even then I was making the archetype half-heartedly.

I'd like to put this one aside and instead take up Haxxers. I feel I can have more fun making a cyberspace archetype that focusses on disrupting opponent's plays than plant girls that act like Nimble monsters.

You guys probably realize that I do have to design for MR4 as well; can't just be doing AGM things even though I still have gripes about the changes (and obviously why Yusaku's the only guy who apparently matters in Links). I am doing a Link-oriented set right now, but problem is usually picture making because of their nature. 

Well, couple cardmaking problems with lack of ideas, time due to college and so forth.

====

I did make a legacy support for Heavenly Sovereigns, but I held off on it in light of recent events.

Will add more to my support thread later.

Jesus Christ. I leave for a day or two, and everyone has gone crazy! Anywho, the queue:

Performapal: U know my opinion.
Odd-Eyes: U know my opinion.

Majespecter: Never had to deal with these guys before, but I've heard how devastating they can be. I'm in between on them.
Mythical Beast: Sounds good on paper. But, idk about adding them here. We have a TON of Spell counter support already.
lswarm, bar Origin and Ophion: I know nothing about them.
Volcanic: I'm still butt hurt over the amount bullsh*t burn plays I've seen back in the day with these guys. I don't want that here.
Elementsaber/Elemental Lord: Don't know them.
Vylon: Only thing I know about these guys, is "Vylon Prism" and I'm assuming they r not all like that, so idk.
Dinomist: One of my favorite archetypes. An instant "Hell yes!"
Dracoslayer/Dracoverlord, bar Amorphactor Pain: Isn't this the kind of thing we were trying to prevent from happening here? I'm fine with it, just not sure why we suddenly want them in. 
Metalfoes, bar Electrumite: I've never seen anything bad from them, so, sure.
Lightsworn, bar Curious: U know my opinion.
Gishki: Who r these guys? I thought they were a Link archetype....
Qli: Never tried anything with them, but I've heard rumors. I don't know if I want them here. 
Zefra: Dova likes them, and from what i can tell, I do too. Add them. 
Igknight: I don't think these guys will be a problem at all. Add them if u want.

Archived