Pokemon Gen 1

Flame Dragon

So far Cheese the Pikachu is the most hax creating creature I've ever seen, it's glorious. Also was worried about Brock but caught a Nidoran which gets Double Kick at level 10 in Yellow so I should be alright. (my others are Pikachu, Pidgey, Butterfree, and Rattata. Otherwise known as Team Typical)

• Replies 371
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thought I'd get the second rival fight out of the way before I started catching mons. (for the record I did zero training on Pika, so still at level 6 and still beat the Spearow and Eevee because they did mostly funk all), think I'd be ok with just the Mankey to take care of Brock, and maybe Spearow for the bugs in the forest.

Heading for Rock Tunnel; Skipped Surge cuz' I'm a lazy funk/trying to see how many Gyms I can skip for laughs.

Team:

Kamina/Wartortle/Lvl29

Dai Gurren/Nidoking/Lvl27

Vortex/Pikachu/Lvl26

Monsoon/Fearow/Lvl22

Fuckboi/Mew/Lvl7; HM slave

About to get my 3rd badge. 3rd rival fight was actually super easy. Being many levels higher then him certainly helped.

I do have a funny story though. I was going coming back after getting Flash (I luckily remembered I needed 10 Pokemon for it) and with a repel up got attacked by a Dugtrio. I decide to increase my defense with Graveler since I didn't want to risk getting hit by Dig without a little increase. Naturally it gets a crit and I'm terrified since if Charmeleon goes down all I have are two HM slaves (one for Cut and one for Flash). Luckily 2 Mega Punches were enough to take it out and it was high enough level that I was able to get out of the cave and heal up. So yea, if you want a Dugtrio, use Repel with a level 26 odd Pokemon. Only thing you'll find then will be that.

That aside, going to try and save trainers going forward this way my Jolteon will have some fodder to grind against.

Going for a Nuzlocke, huh?

Heading for Rock Tunnel; Skipped Surge cuz' I'm a lazy funk/trying to see how many Gyms I can skip for laughs.

Team:

Kamina/Wartortle/Lvl29

Dai Gurren/Nidoking/Lvl27

Vortex/Pikachu/Lvl26

Monsoon/Fearow/Lvl22

Fuckboi/Mew/Lvl7; HM slave

Going for a Nuzlocke, huh?

You can do gyms 3-6 in any order tbqh. Hell, getting to use Surf outside of battle unlocks 7 so you can continue skipping gyms. Though you'll be super over leveled for the earlier ones at that point.

No. If I was I'd have been VERY sad to lose Graveler like that. Would also have fodder on the team for situations like that.

Not gonna lie, I actually forgot that you had to defeat your rival on Route 22 in order to get pokeballs given to you by Oak. (cuz I remember you got them after delivering the parcel in FRLG)

... All these years I had no idea you were even given them in Gen 1.

THIS TOPIC IS A TIME MACHINE; WE TRAVELED BACK TO THE YEAR 1998

You can do gyms 3-6 in any order tbqh. Hell, getting to use Surf outside of battle unlocks 7 so you can continue skipping gyms. Though you'll be super over leveled for the earlier ones at that point.

Actually I'm just trying to test a name glitch. If it works, I can get Charmander and Bulbasaur.
'Course, I'd have to go back and do all the Team Rocket sheet, since ideally I'd need Master Balls to catch those Level 100+ Charmander/Bulbasaur.
Assuming name glitches still exist/I'm going to try for a full Pokedex/etc.

So like.... Is a Jolteon with Pin Missile, the ONLY thing that could stand up to a Mewtwo+Psychic?

Not really since your on a coin flip to actually hit it. Plus Mewtwo WILL survive an attack. Honestly, nothing can really stop Mewtwo. Chansey can tank a few hits but can't fight back. Slowbro can handle its most common attacks, but can't really fight back either. Snorlax can explode on it which is actually a thing. The best chance at beating Mewtwo is to paralyze it.

Jolteon could land a Crit with Pin Missile, thought that's another luck element in the first place, in addition to the one with Pin hitting around 5 times- I don't know, I was chatting with some people and they proposed the idea of Pin Missile being a legit means of beating Mewtwo.

Thing is, though, realistically the game only lets you have 1 Joleton. Old Man Glitch can net you 6 Mewtwos, which would make the best team in the game due to Mewtwo's stats/everything.

And you could be pro and give every Mewtwo the moveset of Psychic, Recover, Blizzard, and Seismic Toss; You'd end up duplicating your items while your at it.

That is true. Though I remember in Stadium, R1 Mewtwo's AI just loved to use Psychic every turn.

Leaves less time for it using Recover.

So... Instead of skipping Surge, I decided to go back to Vermilion to beat him/being able to use Fly will save me a lot of walking later.

I funking hate his RNG system to unlock the Gym doors.

Surge spends his whole turns using X Speed; Nidoking just murders his whole team/Thrash for game.

Now for the long task of going through Celadon's game corner, then the Pokemon Tower, THEN I can go on to Fucshia City.

I'm swapping the Growlithe slot on my team for something else; Forgot that Growlithe has like no moves in this game.

So... Instead of skipping Surge, I decided to go back to Vermilion to beat him/being able to use Fly will save me a lot of walking later.

I funking hate his RNG system to unlock the Gym doors.

Surge spends his whole turns using X Speed; Nidoking just murders his whole team/Thrash for game.

Now for the long task of going through Celadon's game corner, then the Pokemon Tower, THEN I can go on to Fucshia City.

I'm swapping the Growlithe slot on my team for something else; Forgot that Growlithe has like no moves in this game.

Yea, even knowing the whole, the second lock is next to the first rule, I failed at finding it multiple times. Surge might have one of the worse gym puzzles in the franchise. His inability to be a ground type is pretty great, especially with Diglett Cave being in the town.

A LOT of Pokemon have no moves. The only ground types that level up EQ for example are the Diglett and Geodude lines.

Yeah, sucks that it can't learn Flamethrower till like level 50. Flareon is worse 'cuz it doesn't learn it till 52/54 (depending on version), Charizard doesn't get it till level 46, and finally Vulpix which gets it the earliest at 35.

Got use ember in the mean time. Fun, fun, fun. At least you get the T-Bolt TM early.

Got to use Ember in the meantime. Fun, fun, fun. At least you get the T-Bolt TM early.

That is true. I mean there are a couple of reasons why I wanted to use Ninetales in this game, in my case, Yellow (at least over Charizard);

- I'm already wanting to use Blastoise so I don't want to use more than 1 OG starter (not counting Pika)

- Learns Flamethrower earlier

- it also has a higher Special than Charizard as well.

I thought I was going to have to wait a few weeks before getting one of these games, but I was able to get some funds into my account and pick up Yellow earlier tonight.

Been playing it for a bit, getting ready to take on Brock right now. Team is currently Sparky the Pikachu and Thrasher the Mankey. Picked up Mankey to help with Brock, but I'm considering using Primeape on my team since I've never used one before.

And then you catch a Diglett :^)

One of the reasons I thought about using it. You also get that with Sandslash since it JUST has enough speed to always crit. Dugtrio is LEAGUES better though.

Seriously, I think one of my take aways from playing Red and thinking about it is that I really love Sandslash and wish it didn't suck.

I thought I was going to have to wait a few weeks before getting one of these games, but I was able to get some funds into my account and pick up Yellow earlier tonight.

Been playing it for a bit, getting ready to take on Brock right now. Team is currently Sparky the Pikachu and Thrasher the Mankey. Picked up Mankey to help with Brock, but I'm considering using Primeape on my team since I've never used one before.

Primeape is a fine Pokemon. Doesn't learn any really good fighting moves via level up, but Submission is a TM in the shop. It also has a High Crit move to combo with its Speed.

Anyway, got through Rock Tunnel and ran to go get my next two Pokemon. Team atm:

Flame, the Level 38 Charizard

???, the Level 32 Graveler

???, the Level 30 Hitmonlee

Blitz, the Level 26 Jolteon

Still need to do the 4th gym and since I know the level my last two Pokemon will be when I get them (Slowpoke at 15 and Snorlax and 30) I'm trying to figure out the best way to go through the game while leaving trainers behind to get some experience for Slowpoke since it is going to REALLY need it.

Primeape is a fine Pokemon. Doesn't learn any really good fighting moves via level up, but Submission is a TM in the shop. It also has a High Crit move to combo with its Speed.

I must say, I never noticed how bare bones the movepools were for the Pokemon in generation 1 until I started to look them up. I'm used to the movepools being very diverse and everything, but the movepools in gen 1 is lacking compared to nowadays. I understand why of course, I just never realized it until now.

Archived