Pokemon Gen 1

Flame Dragon

I must say, I never noticed how bare bones the movepools were for the Pokemon in generation 1 until I started to look them up. I'm used to the movepools being very diverse and everything, but the movepools in gen 1 is lacking compared to nowadays. I understand why of course, I just never realized it until now.

I've said this a few times, but I REALLY would love to make a Lets Play of Pokemon Red/Blue simply because so much basic stuff is lacking. Hell, some of this is even fixed in Yellow with Mankey being catchable before Brock, the Nideos learning double kick at a reasonable level, and Charizard actually learning Fly.

Oh so a little update. So glad I checked when Nidoran learned Double Kick, otherwise would've had trouble with Brock.

Even then I got lucky he didn't keep Binding. The first Bide nearly took Al the Nidoran out but then he Bided at the worst time.

My lose to Brock was because he used Bind when I got a crit so even though I used a bunch of growl's after, it did enough to kill me. Yea, having a pokemon you can throw under the bus vs. him seems REALLY helpful.

I spent like an hour trying to catch the second damn Snorlax. Turns out, Rest can have at least 16 PP on him. That would be the max amount with PP Ups, so maybe he doesn't have anymore? I have no idea. That was miserable. Whoever put the Ultra Ball AFTER Snorlax is now my enemy. Best part is the second one I caught was worse.

First: 144, 77, 51, 27, 45

Second: 136, 75, 45, 27, 52

The only stat thats better is Special and not only do I not need it that badly, I have Amnesia if I want to make use of it so the difference isn't THAT huge after a boost. Sigh.....

Got Slowpoke though. Going to clear out the various trainers I skipped to help it catch up, then its back to the adventure.

• Replies 371
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Flame, your Slowpoke is literally going to be a slowpoke :Kappa:

But seriously, if you were really motivated you could just farm EXP in Victory Road near the end of the game, then whatever happens will happen.

Or just use the MissingNo glitch and put all of your Pokemon at a set Level/still make it a challenge.

Oh so a little update. So glad I checked when Nidoran learned Double Kick, otherwise would've had trouble with Brock.

Even then I got lucky he didn't keep Binding. The first Bide nearly took Al the Nidoran out but then he Bided at the worst time.

Speaking of Bide, when Onix came out against me, that's the first thing it did and my Mankey (who was level 10)'s Low Kick didn't do enough damage to 2HKO, so I had to switch to Spearow to take the hit so I can kill it with Mankey.

Flame, your Slowpoke is literally going to be a slowpoke :Kappa:

But seriously, if you were really motivated you could just farm EXP in Victory Road near the end of the game, then whatever happens will happen.

I want to use Slowbro for the gyms and Rocket Base and I'm not using EXP All because its terrible. Figuring leaving trainers to fight was the best option to get him fighting fit.

I think we found the Level 15 Slowpoke Flame Dragon wants on his team...*shot* :Kappa:

On another note, I love the trainers on Route 3, like the "I met you in Viridian Forest" and the "Hi I like Shorts" blokes. (Especially since the first has a pokemon you can't get in Yellow)

Its really dumb that the Super Rod can only get level 15 pokemon since when you get it wild pokemon are in the high 20s. Also weird you get Super before Good.

I think it was a trainer in the Rock Tunnel who quotes a rock song. I remember reading the dialog, thinking the next words to the song, and when you beat him he says it. Honestly, the NPC dialog is pretty great.

Charizard REALLY isn't that good in Gen 1. None of his stats are bad, but nothing is really impressive outside of Speed. He does get Slash though, so fun is had with mono-crits.

Well then what starter would you reccomend over that?

Also weird you get Super before Good.

I believe they actually wanted you to take Cycling Road to Fuchsia and that way, you get the Good Rod before the Super. That's what I always thought, but I know why you'd think it's the other way, since you can go that way first if you want to.

And if anyone's curious, I'm so far behind (because I'm a slow player). I played about 4 hours so far and haven't gotten through Mt. Moon yet, but I am right in front of the fossils, so. There's that.

It's really dumb that he Super Rod can only get level 15 pokemon since when you get it, wild pokemon are in the high 20s. Also weird you get Super before Good.

You'd have thought the wild pokemon caught from the Super Rod would be of a higher level in Gen 1, so yeah it is quite dumb.

I want to use Slowbro for the gyms and Rocket Base and I'm not using EXP All because its terrible. Figuring leaving trainers to fight was the best option to get him fighting fit.

This is what lead to the creation of the broken EXP Share.

Like, you are basically playing the game like funking surgery, trying to pick and chose who and when you want to fight, just to Level up 1-2 Pokemon. I mean, the game gives you enough EXP/etc from Trainers/Gyms/etc that you could get like MAYBE 4 Pokemon up to the same Level, in time for the E4. Any more and it becomes a chore for trying to balance out who gets what EXP. Which is why I keep suggesting that you just get it over with and use MissingNo to put everything to 100; Takes a lot of pressure off yourself and makes things easier, despite the fact you then forfeit all of the game's difficulty- Assuming you want to go through the E4 in a single pass, and not have to fight against them several times just to Level some sheet up.

The E4 start at low-mid 50s and slowly increase to 61, with your Rival having low-mid 60s/Starter is 65. You could honestly farm Victory Road's Pokemon, who are all like 40-45-whatever until you get some of your Pokemon to 50s, then from there you can just wing it/use a handful of Revives/etc. Plus... Lorelei, Agatha, and to an extent, Lance, are a funking joke anyway; Lor's team loses to Thunderbolt/Thunder(except Jynx), Agatha's team loses to Earthquake + Ice Beam/Blizzard or Thunderbolt on Golbat, then just spam Ice Beam/Blizzard on Lance and Thunderbolt his Gyarados.

Could also be a pro and stockpile all your Rare Candies until the very end; Get everyone to like 50, and then Rare Candy a few of them to get to like 53-55, and your all set from there.

At least, the way I see it.

Well then what starter would you reccomend over that?

IMO none of the starters are THAT good. Blastoise competes with a TON of better Water types (Slowbro, Starmie, Cloyster, and Lapris) and Grass/Poison isn't very good imo (though Venusaur is likely the 3rd best Grass type in gen 1 and one of the ones above it is exclusive to Blue). For the Fire types, they are all mostly similar in power level but if I had to rank them I would put Charizard near the top since it gets Flamethrower via level up and a slightly reasonable level. Best MIGHT be Ninetails, but that is version exclusive.

This is what lead to the creation of the broken EXP Share.

Like, you are basically playing the game like funking surgery, trying to pick and chose who and when you want to fight, just to Level up 1-2 Pokemon. I mean, the game gives you enough EXP/etc from Trainers/Gyms/etc that you could get like MAYBE 4 Pokemon up to the same Level, in time for the E4. Any more and it becomes a chore for trying to balance out who gets what EXP. Which is why I keep suggesting that you just get it over with and use MissingNo to put everything to 100; Takes a lot of pressure off yourself and makes things easier, despite the fact you then forfeit all of the game's difficulty- Assuming you want to go through the E4 in a single pass, and not have to fight against them several times just to Level some sheet up.

The E4 start at low-mid 50s and slowly increase to 61, with your Rival having low-mid 60s/Starter is 65. You could honestly farm Victory Road's Pokemon, who are all like 40-45-whatever until you get some of your Pokemon to 50s, then from there you can just wing it/use a handful of Revives/etc. Plus... Lorelei, Agatha, and to an extent, Lance, are a funking joke anyway; Lor's team loses to Thunderbolt/Thunder(except Jynx), Agatha's team loses to Earthquake + Ice Beam/Blizzard or Thunderbolt on Golbat, then just spam Ice Beam/Blizzard on Lance and Thunderbolt his Gyarados.

Could also be a pro and stockpile all your Rare Candies until the very end; Get everyone to like 50, and then Rare Candy a few of them to get to like 53-55, and your all set from there.

At least, the way I see it.

Leveling 6 Pokemon isn't that bad honestly. My team is mostly low to mid 30s with Charizard at 40 already. Slowpoke is under leveled but has two routes of trainers to get through and Ice Beam and Psychic already learned.

Honestly, I want the challenge of the game. I want to prove that I can beat Gen 1 on my own since as a kid I never did that. I know WAY more then I did and I'm using some of the best Pokemon in Gen 1 so I'm very confident in my ability to walk through the game with little trouble. As you said, all the trainers have weakness I can exploit and I know how to do that.

Also, fyi, for Agatha just spam Psychic. Her whole team is weak to it and Ghost is useless against them.

I forgot that Agatha was actually a Poison-Type E4 member. Only mentioned earthquake cuz' that's what I'm planning to do with my Nidoking.

Also-

You never beat Gen 1 games as a kid? I was like, 5, 8, or whatever, and I'd just let my starter run over everything/end up like Level 70-80 by the end of the game; Literally everyone else I knew back then did the same.

I forgot that Agatha was actually a Poison-Type E4 member. Only mentioned earthquake cuz' that's what I'm planning to do with my Nidoking.

Also-

You never beat Gen 1 games as a kid? I was like, 5, 8, or whatever, and I'd just let my starter run over everything/end up like Level 70-80 by the end of the game; Literally everyone else I knew back then did the same.

Good old Gen 1. Only have 1 Ghost, make it part poison and the E4 member that specializes in "ghost" uses all Poison, and because Ghost does 0 vs. Psychic the E4 member that should be good against Psychic types just gets run over by them.

I beat it, but never legitly. I had a friend trade over a level 100 Hitmonchan and then used Missingno to level my team to 100 for runs I did on my own. I honestly have no idea what team I was trying to use before I got the Hitmonchan.

Good old Gen 1. Only have 1 Ghost, make it part poison and the E4 member that specializes in "ghost" uses all Poison, and because Ghost does 0 vs. Psychic the E4 member that should be good against Psychic types just gets run over by them.

I beat it, but never legitly. I had a friend trade over a level 100 Hitmonchan and then used Missingno to level my team to 100 for runs I did on my own. I honestly have no idea what team I was trying to use before I got the Hitmonchan.

Good old Gen 1. Hyper Beam doesn't need to recharge if you take out a Pokemon with it.

And the E4 in this game was made to be relatively easy, if only BECAUSE of the limited number of Trainers in it.

Also-

I'm calling bullshit, and saying we wont get Gold/Silver/Crystal until the 25th or 30th anniversary/will be on the next handheld system.

I feel like Gen 2 is likely going to get a VC release in the next couple of year. Especially if Sun/Moon does a Johto thing and having a region be available for revisit. Got to tie everything together.

Progress for the day so far is that much battling was had. Cleared out basically all the trainers on routes side from those leading to gym 7 and the Rocket Hideout (haven't gone for badge 5 yet).

Team atm

Snorlax: 35

Hitmonlee: 36

Graveler: 36

Slowbro: 37

Jolteon: 37

Charizard: 40

If you can think of a cool nickname for those first 4, let me know. I want something for them.

Gen 1 does NOT have the Move Deleter. Do not teach a Pokemon a HM move if you plan on using it. I may or may not have taught Charizard Cut because I was lazy and thought I had gained access to the Move Deleter so it wasn't a big deal. RIP Fire Spin. Also RIP Amnesia Snorlax. X_X

Done for the day after clearing out most of Silph Co. After all the battling I've done, I must say the level balance in the game is REALLY off. Like, I feel like part of that is from being able to battle trainers in any order after getting cut, but the trainers on route 8, ones you fight before getting badge 4, should not be only a few levels lower then the trainers you fight to unlock gym 6. After you clear Snorlax all the trainers you fight outside of those in Gyms, your Rival and Giovanni are average high 20s. Dozens of trainers basically use the same level breakdown. Even when you hit routes 19 and 20 the Pokemon they have are only a FEW levels high on average. It isn't until you hit the Mansion and Route 21 that you begin to see trainers outside of gyms with Pokemon in the low 30s.

I forgot that Disable randomly disables a move in Gen 1. I remember using Lee and then having Growl disabled.

Whilst we're on the subject of the level curve, it's slightly worse in Yellow, especially since Koga's team is level 44-50, Sabrina level 50 x3 with the gym trainers being at the same level.

I forgot that Disable randomly disables a move in Gen 1. I remember using Lee and then having Growl disabled.

Whilst we're on the subject of the level curve, it's slightly worse in Yellow, especially since Koga's team is level 44-50, Sabrina level 50 x3 with the gym trainers being at the same level.

Yea, Disable is SUPER bad.

O_0 Jesus that is terrible. Assuming all the normal trainers are the same too. Seriously, how did they expect people to be able to face them when they aren't given correctly leveled trainers to fight.

Yea, Disable is SUPER bad.

Thankfully in that instance, it disabled the move I wasn't going to use, but yeah it is pretty bad in Gen 1.

O_0 Jesus that is terrible. Assuming all the normal trainers are the same too. Seriously, how did they expect people to be able to face them when they aren't given correctly leveled trainers to fight.

Yeah, the other normal trainers are the same level.

At least they balanced it somewhat by giving Koga 3 Venonats (levels 44-48) and Sabrina started off with an Abra (level 50).

Yeah, the other normal trainers are the same level.

At least they balanced it somewhat by giving Koga 3 Venonats (levels 44-48) and Sabrina started off with an Abra (level 50).

That still sounds terrible. Assuming I don't use repel when I go through victory road I think I should be able to hit mid 50s for the league which feels low (and likely explains why so many people wall there). At least when I'm getting there my Pokemon will more or less be the correct level for the other high leveled trainers, Yellow seems to lack that.

That still sounds terrible. Assuming I don't use repel when I go through victory road I think I should be able to hit mid 50s for the league which feels low (and likely explains why so many people wall there). At least when I'm getting there my Pokemon will more or less be the correct level for the other high leveled trainers, Yellow seems to lack that.

Yeah it does a bit, but it's only the gym leaders (except Misty) that have had level adjustments in Yellow.

I think Yellow's version of Sabrina having higher Level'd Pokemon is for anime accuracy. Since, you know, Kadabra was implied to be at a higher Level then Pikachu/why he could easily beat him.

I must say the level balance in the game is REALLY off.

This is kinda' sorta' what I was talking about earlier, when I said trying to Level up Pokemon can become somewhat of a chore; The Trainers only really go up to like 20-30, with Gyms being the only exception.

EDIT:

Was lurking the internet/whatever. Found out that you can go into the Cerulean Cave from Cerulean, instantly leave, then instantly fly to Cinnabar and proceed to Surf along the right side of it; All the Pokemon you find there are from the 1st floor of the Cerulean Cave. I remember you could do this with the Safari Zone, but didn't know you could do it with other places.

This is kinda' sorta' what I was talking about earlier, when I said trying to Level up Pokemon can become somewhat of a chore; The Trainers only really go up to like 20-30, with Gyms being the only exception.

EDIT:

Was lurking the internet/whatever. Found out that you can go into the Cerulean Cave from Cerulean, instantly leave, then instantly fly to Cinnabar and proceed to Surf along the right side of it; All the Pokemon you find there are from the 1st floor of the Cerulean Cave. I remember you could do this with the Safari Zone, but didn't know you could do it with other places.

Its annoying, but battling all the trainers should get me most of the way to what I need.

Thats really interesting. Man the programing in Gen 1 is weird.

Anyway, I have a nickname for Hitmonlee, Chunlee. Play off Chun-Li.

Thats really interesting. Man the programing in Gen 1 is weird.

While lurking, I also saw someone say they fixed the data over/under flow glitch. IE, if you Rare Candy a Level 100+ Pokemon to 245, or whatever the limit is, then it wont go back to 1 when you use another Rare Candy on it. The Underflow glitch, though, is another story. Also said they fixed a glitch involving withdrawing Level 100+ Pokemon at specific Levels.

Anyway, I have a nickname for Hitmonlee, Chunlee. Play off Chun-Li.

And then you Bank it, and it's a Male :Kappa:

Also-

You could get the 'EXP All' to make the Leveling process easier- It's basically EXP Share, but your whole party only gains like half the EXP.

To get it, you need to catch 50 Pokemon. So yea... 1/3 of the Pokedex completed to obtain it.

(I've only caught like 10; lel)

And then you Bank it, and it's a Male :Kappa:

Also-

You could get the 'EXP All' to make the Leveling process easier- It's basically EXP Share, but your whole party only gains like half the EXP.

To get it, you need to catch 50 Pokemon. So yea... 1/3 of the Pokedex completed to obtain it.

(I've only caught like 10; lel)

The Hitmon are always male. The name isn't fully Chun-Li but I do think it might be too close too. Just hard finding a better one.

I don't like EXP All at all. It levels the whole party, but everything levels SUPER slow. My team is all high enough in level to not need it. Plus even after getting random pokemon the safari because why not I'm at like 21.

Archived