Pokemon Gen 1

Flame Dragon

The Hitmon are always male. The name isn't fully Chun-Li but I do think it might be too close too. Just hard finding a better one.

I don't like EXP All at all. It levels the whole party, but everything levels SUPER slow. My team is all high enough in level to not need it. Plus even after getting random pokemon the safari because why not I'm at like 21.

In R/B/Y all the Pokemon are genderless(except the Nidorans, but you know); Just pretend Hitmonlee is female, for laughs.

And as far as the EXP All goes- By the time you've gotten 50 Pokemon, the game is already half over/almost done/etc; It's not really worth it. Thankfully when G/S/C came out, they gave you the EXP Share right off the bat =D

• Replies 371
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What? Dontcha get the EXP. Share after the Red Gyarados? You trade the Red Scale to Mr. Pokemon, right?

I FEEL like you can get the Red Gyarados after getting badge 4 so it isn't that late.

Anyway, got my 6th badge and got Zapdos team is all 40 minus Charizard who is 46. My surfing adventure will begin tomorrow.

Beat Koga for my 4th badge

Went to Cinnabar and duplicated a Nugget I had via M-Block

Why?

Because I want to teach Hyper Beam to a Pokemon, and I'd rather buy my Coins rather then hoping to get lucky off the slots

Seriously-

Celadon_Game_Corner_Cherry_RGB.pngCeladon_Game_Corner_Cherry_RGB.pngCeladon_Game_Corner_Cherry_RGB.png = 8

Celadon_Game_Corner_Fish_RGB.pngCeladon_Game_Corner_Fish_RGB.pngCeladon_Game_Corner_Fish_RGB.png = 15

Celadon_Game_Corner_Bird_RGB.pngCeladon_Game_Corner_Bird_RGB.pngCeladon_Game_Corner_Bird_RGB.png = 15

Celadon_Game_Corner_Rat_RGB.pngCeladon_Game_Corner_Rat_RGB.pngCeladon_Game_Corner_Rat_RGB.png = 15

Celadon_Game_Corner_Bar_RGB.pngCeladon_Game_Corner_Bar_RGB.pngCeladon_Game_Corner_Bar_RGB.png = 100

Celadon_Game_Corner_7_RGB.pngCeladon_Game_Corner_7_RGB.pngCeladon_Game_Corner_7_RGB.png = 300

Paying 1000 for 50 Coins is a lot faster

Oh, and I gained Rhyhorn and Ponyta to my team; Currently leveling them up to like 40 or whatever from fighting the Pokemon/Trainers in the Mansion, cuz' I plan to go through Silph next.

Flame Dragon asked I post this here, so here I am.

I'm done with Gen 1 until further notice. Forget the nostalgia, the game is so frustratingly dated. I knew Gen 1 hadn't aged like wine, so to say. I didn't think it had soured like 20 year-old milk.

AI WILL use Sand Attack at ANY chance it has.
Dragon and Ghost might as well not even be types.
No abilities or Special Split, or Natures, or breeding, or running shoes.

You have to save to change a box, and can't catch new Pokemon until you do so. Exp Share is slow. It is impossibe to complete the Dex with one copy of the game. Crits every 2 seconds. Magicarp salesman. Fully evolved Pokemon that shouldn't be evolved. TMs for Water Gun and Bide. Wrap/Fire Spin/Bind are broken as hell. Grinding takes FOREVER.

And my biggest complaint, Pokemon DON'T get healed when they go to the PC.

And of course that f***ing Item Limit in the bag....

Blizzard has like 90% accuracy, Hyper Beam doesn't need a recharge if it KOs a Pokemon.

Don't bother with the EXP All. Its terrible. It distributes EXP BETWEEN ALL. So say you get 650 EXP? Divide that by 6 at most, and that is what your Pokemon will get. 

And I just realized, Gen 1 doesn't have any side modes.

Gen 2 had Bug Catching Contests
Gen 3 had Pokemon Contests
Gen 4 had The Undergound
Gen 5 had movies, which I guess is better than nothing...
Gen 6 has A TON OF STUFF.

I probably left my nostalgia goggles on, but...

Just switch Pokemon a lot and/or use Double Team/etc. This is only a minor inconvenience

The former, technically, was because it was a Type that resisted what your Starter uses, and part of why it lacks moves is likely because they only have 3 Dragon-Tyeps. Ghost was mainly because they were half Poison and it made them a joke.

To be fair, the first game in a series never has everything they want to include. That sheet is usually saved for sequels/etc. So this claim is moot.

You have to save to change a box, and can't catch new Pokemon until you do so.

Minor inconvenience.

Exp Share is slow.

The Trainers/Gyms/E4/etc are a joke, so EXP being in little amounts isn't that big of a deal

It is impossibe to complete the Dex with one copy of the game.

Never grew up with a link cable, huh?

Crits every 2 seconds.

Crits are based on your Speed stat, mind you.

Magicarp salesman.

How is this a bad thing?

Fully evolved Pokemon that shouldn't be evolved.

What, Yellow having that Pidgeoto in Varidian Forest? In a game that's meant to be anime accurate? BLASPHEMY!

TMs for Water Gun and Bide.

TM for Seismic Toss is a little crazier. I mean, it can do like constant 100 damage/Ghosts cant avoid it/etc.

Wrap/Fire Spin/Bind are fun as hell.

Fixed*

Grinding takes FOREVER.

This falls more on the EXP.All

But your in a Poke-Center. Just heal while you are there. It's not really a big deal.

This, I agree with you. But it's funny how you can hold like 3132954952134 Master Balls, but you can't hold more if you have 20 different items(or whatever the backpack limit is).

'Course, I've grown to be used to the backpack limit, but still.

Blizzard has like 90% accuracy, Hyper Beam doesn't need a recharge if it KOs a Pokemon.

But these are fun things...

Don't bother with the EXP All. Its terrible. It distributes EXP BETWEEN ALL. So say you get 650 EXP? Divide that by 6 at most, and that is what your Pokemon will get.

The EXP.All would be pretty neat if you could get it early, though.

Again, testing the waters.

Flame Dragon asked I post this here, so here I am.

I'm done with Gen 1 until further notice. Forget the nostalgia, the game is so frustratingly dated. I knew Gen 1 hadn't aged like wine, so to say. I didn't think it had soured like 20 year-old milk. 

You have to save to change a box, and can't catch new Pokemon until you do so.

Exp Share is slow.

It is impossibe to complete the Dex with one copy of the game.

Crits every 2 seconds.

Magicarp salesman.

Fully evolved Pokemon that shouldn't be evolved.

TMs for Water Gun and Bide.

Grinding takes FOREVER.

Blizzard has like 90% accuracy, Hyper Beam doesn't need a recharge if it KOs a Pokemon. Wrap/Fire Spin/Bind are broken as hell.

1) If they aren't attacking you your coming out ahead and you can switch if it gets that bad.

2) I'm not sure if your comment about Ghost and Dragon is because of the moves or that only 1 Pokemon has that type. I'm going to say moves because Dragonite still has a bunch of good resistances. On the subject of moves then, like half the types in Gen 1 might as well not even be types. Bug's best attack is Twineedle and only Beedrill gets it. Poison's best attack is Sludge and only Weezing and Muk get it (not to mention Poison is a terrible attack type). Flying isn't really a type since while it has a good move in Drill Peck only Dodrio and Fearow (and Zapdos) get it. Grass has it the least bad since Razor Leaf has its two users able to abuse the crit system (which is SUPER dumb) and Vileplume gets Petal Dance (though its only 70 power). However that still only makes up half the grass types (all of which are Grass Poison for some reason) so the other 3 are all pretty screwed. Fighting is in a weird place too since 4 of the 6 damaging Fighting moves are only learned by Hitmonlee. You do have Submission as a TM, but the move REALLY is lacking. Rock types have Rock Slide but none of them learn it via level up and you only have the 1 TM for it. In fact only Onyx and Aerodactyl get it via level up of the Gen 1 Rock types as of Gen 6 with Oyx getting it in BW2 and Aerodactyl in Gen 4.

As an aside, the move issue will be a LONG standing problem for a lot of types and its only really helped once Gem 4 comes around.

Also, to add to this point, one of the MAGOR issues with Gen 1 is the level up move sets. A LOT of them are just empty. I already covered how none of the Rock types learn Rock Slide via level up, but you also have Thunder Bolt only learned via level up by Pikachu in Yellow, and Earthquake only learned by Golem and Dugtrio.

3) The lack of natures, breeding, and abilities really doesn't detract from the game. Same for held items. The lack special split is VERY missed but Gen 1 is in no way built to handle it. Even in today you have some holes in it. Running Shoes is a quality of life improvement. You miss it, but its not that annoying to not have.

4) Saving to change boxes isn't that bad since I don't think it takes any time (although when I first played the game as a kid I lost my first run with Squirtle because of this). Not being able to catch Pokemon IS an issue since the game doesn't really give any indication for how close you are to filling up the PC.

5) EXP Share is slow in every game. Honestly, it isn't a good item unless you need a Pokemon to catch up to your team. Losing that here is frustrating, but the bulk of the trainers are in their mid to high 20s so it isn't THAT hard to train a new Pokemon.

6) I think thats kind of the point. Like, you could never fill the Pokedex with 1 copy because the other version will have Pokemon you need. Not to mention the starters. You need a friend. Unless your talking about seeing all the Pokemon, which, yea, is lame but thats always been true.

7) The crit system in the game is BEYOND broke. 100%. The odds are base speed/512. So a Pokemon with base speed 64 has a 1/8 chance, or twice the odds you have in all other games. Moves with high critical hits odds have a Base Speed/64 meaning Charizard using Slash, and Venusaur or Victreebel using Razor Leaf ALWAYS crit. Also, increasing an item or move to increase your odds, actually cuts in 1/4th. Also, crits not only ignore the negative stat changes for your side (-ATK on you +DEF on them), but all the positive (+ATK on you -DEF on them).

8) Why do people not like the Karp salesmen? If you want to train one your better off getting it there then waiting for Vermilion since its the same level and 500 is not bad.

9) Every Gen has evolved Pokemon that shouldn't be. Its not that common anymore, but it did happen for a while. Not to mention, I'll take it since it just means more EXP.

10) While Gen 1 has some of the worse TMs every gen has bad ones. Who would ever use Round?

11) Grinding isn't hard. Just battle every trainer and be light with your repels and you should be at a solid level more or less. I use more repels now, but battling all the trainers is something I do every game. The bigger issue is the level curve. After you get the Poke-Flute EVERY trainer minus gym trainers and other important characters have the same level range, mid 20s to low 30s. This is largely because you have three options for what you can do and the game i balanced around it being the same if you do any of them first. By the time you finally start on the water routes, 19 and 20 are only a level or two higher then what you had been facing. Again, battle every trainer and be light on repels and you should be able to get through the game just fine, but the level curve really IS off.

12) Not healing when they go to the PC is annoying, but not the biggest issue. Just heal after you use it.

13) The item limit IS really bad, but that was with the games until Gen 4. If you just make use of the PC to store all the TMs, Elixirs, and outdated items it is manageable.

14) Blizzard is a dumb move, but Fire Blast isn't a TON better at 85% acc. Hyper Beam is dumb, but can be played around since Ghost is still immune and Rock type can ignore it. Its annoying in multi-player, but in game it rarely comes up and you are much better able to abuse it. The trapping moves ARE very dumb, especially if your team is slow. You also have double Calm Mind in the form of Amnesia. Though while Gen 1 has some of the most broken and stupid moves, we still have questionable stuff even today. Stealth Rocks GREATLY hinders the playability of things weak to rock and Knock-off is one of THE most spamable moves.

15) Is not having a side mode really that big an issue? These are the first games. Innovations comes with the later versions of ANY game. Let the base game introduce all the base components and then expand on it later. Not to mention the Safari Zone should count for SOMETHING if your counting the Bug Catching Contest.

Honestly, most of your issues with the game are quality of life issues that the first version of ANYTHING will have, especially with the limits of the hardware (see the bag limit). That being said, Gen 1 DOES have some major flaws, and its the one I write about at length often, the moves and level up sets. These are base components of the game and for many Pokemon they just come up INCREDIBLY lacking. Its why I praise Gen 4 so highly since that had the single biggest improvement for this issue then any of the Gens before it. The level curve is also SUPER frustrating since when the "area boss" has Pokemon in their mid 30s to low 40s the grunts in the building REALLY shouldn't be 10 levels lower. The crit system can also be incredibly frustrating, but at least that works for both sides.

Going back and doing some Gyms/areas/etc that I deliberately skipped.

Team:

Kamina/Blastoise/Lvl40

Twi/Rapidash/Lvl40

Dai Gurren/Nidoking/Lvl40

Vortex/Raichu/Lvl33

Juggernaut/Rhyhorn/Lvl31

Monsoon/Fearow/Lvl23

Badges: Boulder, Cascade, Thunder, Marsh

:^)

Ok, fair enough. Eh. Maybe I'll give it another shot. -_- I don't know. I didn't mean to complain. I'm sorry......

No, its totally fair. I get all the criticisms, I do. The game is a fossil next to even Gen 2 (which added the move deleter, forgot about that one). Its a matter of having the right expectations going in. I had zero because I've looked a fair bit into all the weirdness that is Gen 1 so I as ready for most of it. Likely because of that and because I did a decent job mapping out my team I've actually been having a ton of fun with it. If you can accept losing out on all the quality of life stuff the later games bring you still have a Pokemon game, and Pokemon at its core is still fun.

No, its totally fair. I get all the criticisms, I do. The game is a fossil next to even Gen 2 (which added the move deleter, forgot about that one). Its a matter of having the right expectations going in. I had zero because I've looked a fair bit into all the weirdness that is Gen 1 so I as ready for most of it. Likely because of that and because I did a decent job mapping out my team I've actually been having a ton of fun with it. If you can accept losing out on all the quality of life stuff the later games bring you still have a Pokemon game, and Pokemon at its core is still fun.

All of This^

R/B/Y are ghetto as hell by today's standards, but it's fact you get to relive what was the norm, back in the day, is a whole big thing by itself.

'Course, you could just use a ROM but still

Can we talk Gen 1 stories?

Did you know that opponent pokemon in Gen 1 do NOT have a PP limit? I found it out the hard way when I challenged Sabrina's gym. The only pokemon I had left was my Alakazam and it was 3 or so levels higher than hers. Long story short, even after using Ethers, it was still able to use Recover long after I ran out of my moves and struggled myself to death.

...twas a real pain.

Can we talk Gen 1 stories?

Did you know that opponent pokemon in Gen 1 do NOT have a PP limit? I found it out the hard way when I challenged Sabrina's gym. The only pokemon I had left was my Alakazam and it was 3 or so levels higher than hers. Long story short, even after using Ethers, it was still able to use Recover long after I ran out of my moves and struggled myself to death.

...twas a real pain.

I had that realization vs. Snorlax. The second one took my over an hour to catch because it kept healing off the damage and eventually I'd kill it. I decide, I'll just stall out its Rest, and it didn't stop using. When I finally caught it it had used 16.

Just catch 1 Snorlax and defeat the 2nd. I mean, it's not like you can breed them or anything.

I wanted to see if the 2nd would have better stats. With wild Pokemon, catching a bunch for the best stats seems dumb, but since I only had 2 I figured it was worth it and wouldn't be that bad. I then spent an hour trying to catch it. It was worse in most of the stats. Funny thing is, I still think I was correct in doing that.

Just started playing Red a couple days ago. Have to agree that the game hasn't aged well at all, and funnily enough, makes me want to play G/S/C instead. I still remember how excited I got with the PokéGear. I think what bothers me the most though is the lack of color, something which didn't bother me before.

Atm my team is...

Nyx (Charmander)

Zanda (Rattata)

Spinda (Nidoran M)

Mr. Spaz (Beedrill)

Sakura (Spearow)

Garland (Zubat)

I'm nuzlocking it and am grinding up my new arrivals to tackle Mt. Moon.

I found out today that there's apparently a glitch that causes some Pokemon that needs a elemental stone to evolve to evolve without a stone. I swear, the programming in the gen 1 games is weird.

I go through games so slow compared to everyone else, but that's more I haven't had time to sit down and play much. I actually decided to go back and catch a Nidoran, I think a Nidoking would be a nice addition to my team. Trying to use pokemon that I never have used before and I, surprisingly, have never used a Nidoking or Nidoqueen in a team before.

I found out today that there's apparently a glitch that causes some Pokemon that needs a elemental stone to evolve to evolve without a stone. I swear, the programming in the gen 1 games is weird.

I go through games so slow compared to everyone else, but that's more I haven't had time to sit down and play much. I actually decided to go back and catch a Nidoran, I think a Nidoking would be a nice addition to my team. Trying to use pokemon that I never have used before and I, surprisingly, have never used a Nidoking or Nidoqueen in a team before.

I KNOW THAT GLITCH.

Here is how it works.

"It has to do with certain pokemon sharing hexidecimal numbers with an evolutionary stone.

Exeggutor - Moon Stone

HEX 20 Missingno - Fire Stone

Psyduck - Leaf Stone

Growlithe - Thunderstone

Onix - Water Stone

What probably happened was you sent your Eevee out to battle, then you switched it with a Growlithe (the pokemon that shares its hexidecimal number with the thunderstone) and then your Eevee leveled up and evolved after the battle. That's how the glitch works: you put the pokemon that you want to evolve at the front of your party, get into a battle, switch it with the pokemon whose hex number is the same as the stone that evolves the first pokemon, hope the pokemon you want to evolve levels up and then TA-DA! "

Just some notes about the Nidos in R/B. The learn no Ground moves on level up. The only poison attack they learn is Poison Sting. You don't get Double Kick until 50. They do learn a ton of TMs though so they have that going for them.

I KNOW THAT GLITCH.

Here is how it works.

"It has to do with certain pokemon sharing hexidecimal numbers with an evolutionary stone.

Exeggutor - Moon Stone

HEX 20 Missingno - Fire Stone

Psyduck - Leaf Stone

Growlithe - Thunderstone

Onix - Water Stone

What probably happened was you sent your Eevee out to battle, then you switched it with a Growlithe (the pokemon that shares its hexidecimal number with the thunderstone) and then your Eevee leveled up and evolved after the battle. That's how the glitch works: you put the pokemon that you want to evolve at the front of your party, get into a battle, switch it with the pokemon whose hex number is the same as the stone that evolves the first pokemon, hope the pokemon you want to evolve levels up and then TA-DA! "

Just some notes about the Nidos in R/B. The learn no Ground moves on level up. The only poison attack they learn is Poison Sting. You don't get Double Kick until 50. They do learn a ton of TMs though so they have that going for them.

This is.... Actually quite fascinating.

I mean, I didn't know this glitch, sure, but I find it interesting.

I never knew that glitch existed quite frankly.

Anywho, up to Vermilion in Yellow, more-or-less been playing this in my spare time, done the Mew Glitch without any difficulty.

Team (italics' mons will most likely leave the team later):

Pika/Pikachu - lv20

Saik/Kadabra - lv19

Digger/Diglett - lv19

Firebutt/Charmeleon - lv19

Beaky/Spearow - lv19

Aiai/Mankey - lv19

Took like an hour to get Abra to evolve, though I was switch training it with Charmander.

I recently found out there was a second way to do the Mew glitch before getting to Route 8/getting Fly. It requires getting an Abra and using the guy in Cerulean's Gym that has a Shellder and it sounds like that's the way BS did it, if he only just got to Vermillion. So I was just wondering, does anyone happen to know if you can do it both ways (Slowpoke & Shellder) in the same run? Not that there's any reason to, but it would be interesting to know.

Archived