Pokemon Sun & Moon

Tinkerer

i am pretty sure those who just went vietnam on me know nothing about competitive battling, if all of you in doubt, i can clear them on showdown. I know what i am talking about and good megas are really important instead of your "breathing" new life s***.

You suck.

just replicating your daily routine love.

You really don't seem to get how Mega Pokemon, or opinions, work.

i respect you but in no way i now know less or am less experienced than you in knowing what works and what does not.

Pokemon, recently has always dissapointed when it comes to great typings and cool moves, this gen has the chance to deliver it big, and if it means weak pokemon are left out, who cares when we get ton of new ones that are more interesting and powerful ?

• Replies 4.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

i am pretty sure those who just went vietnam on me know nothing about competitive battling, if all of you in doubt, i can clear them on showdown. I know what i am talking about and good megas are really important instead of your "breathing" new life s***.

Um, I know quite a LOT about competitive battling. I started playing on shoddy like 9 years ago. Or did you miss my saying HALF THE POKEMON THAT GOT MEGAS WERE RU OR WORSE IN BW. You can have a good mega with a trash pokemon. Or are

Altaria

Ampharos

Beedrill

Charizard

Gardevoir (though a lot of her jump is being a Fairy)

Lopunny

Mawile

Pidgeot

Pinsir

not Pokemon. Literally ALL of them were NU and are now some of the best Pokemon in OU or UU. Mawile is BANNED for crying out loud. Only one Mega is in NU currently and only four are in RU. When HALF your pool of Pokemon were in the bottom tiers to have only 5 remain their is insane.

Or lets turn the pendulum back to Gen 4 when a bunch of crap Pokemon got evolutions

Aipom

Murkrow

Piloswine

Roselia

Tangela

Togetic

Yanma

were all NU Pokemon in Gen 3. The evolutions they got are ALL still relevant to various levels. Two are in RU, one is BL2, and three are in UU still. Mamoswine is even still useable in OU to some degree. Togekiss is even border line.

Do NOT say that old crappy Pokemon shouldn't get new evolutions, be it normal or mega. That is LITERALLY the whole point of doing it. To try and get them back into relevance. Following this logic none of the crappy Pokemon should get sweet new abilities or moves either. Guess we don't get sheer force Gatr, or contrary Serp, or Prankster Sable. Seriously, this is logic is pure poison, creating an echo chamber where only the Pokemon that were good stay good. That is literally the opposite of what good game design strives for, since doing so creates a boring static environment. Yes, you have new Pokemon entering, but its no where near as interesting or dynamic when you also have old Pokemon rising up.

And you know what, if one or two of the Pokemon don't make it, so what. NOT EVERY POKEMON NEEDS TO BE VIABLE FOR COMPETITIVE PLAY. Not every Pokemon needs to serve your needs because if they don't serve yours they are likely serving someone else's. I don't like Audino. Its a trash Pokemon, with a bad design, and a terrible Mega. But you know what, it for sure has fans and that one of their favorite Pokemon got a Mega can make them happy is awesome. It means a TON that Gmaefreak can figure out a way to turn old crappy pokemon and make them viable again because doing so will make a lot of people happy. Meanwhile I'll be happy playing with my 19 Megas that are currently in OU.

Remember, even with the massive push that has been made for competitive Pokemon, it is a drop in the bucket next to the player base at large.

i will correct you there bruh, mega audino ain't trash, it has its very own niche, all i am saying is its about change and strong reckoning now, mega audino ain't trash, just saying that is making me question you, apart than that you are correct. And not to mention, legends should have a decent numbering here since ubers tier, where i mostly play, needs a lot of fresh air.

i will correct you there bruh, mega audino ain't trash, it has its very own niche, all i am saying is its about change and strong reckoning now, mega audino ain't trash, just saying that is making me question you, apart than that you are correct.

Yea, she has a niche. In NU. MAYBE she can do something in RU, but your "EVERYTHING MUST BE SUPER COMPETITIVE" implies you only care about OU and MAYBE UU and she REALLY does not work there. Maybe your talking about doubles, but even there don't think she delivers. Though I admittedly don't know anything about that format.

Yea, she has a niche. In NU. MAYBE she can do something in RU, but your "EVERYTHING MUST BE SUPER COMPETITIVE" implies you only care about OU and MAYBE UU and she REALLY does not work there. Maybe your talking about doubles, but even there don't think she delivers. Though I admittedly don't know anything about that format.

look at mega-salamence, nuff said.

Aman doesn't seem to understand-

The games are called Sun and Moon; Not giving Mega Evolutions to Solrock and Lunatone, who are literally a sun and a moon, would just be unthinkable.

It would be like if they made game called 'Mega Evolution Pikachu', and then literally didn't give Pikachu a Mega Evolution or anything like that; it just doesn't really work.

If Espeon/Umbreon have something to do with the games, then definitely Eevee.

Although I'm pretty sure they'll bring around some of the early map stuff from all regions as well; not everything, but whatever fits thematically with the region.

---

As for the note regarding Mega Glalie earlier, it certainly got a buff (though I've yet to test it more for its actual potency), but what I was trying to say was that it should've waited a while for its Mega because there were a few other Pokes that needed it more at the time. (It deserved what it has though)

I'm actually neutral on it otherwise.

i respect you but in no way i now know less or am less experienced than you in knowing what works and what does not.

Pokemon, recently has always dissapointed when it comes to great typings and cool moves, this gen has the chance to deliver it big, and if it means weak pokemon are left out, who cares when we get ton of new ones that are more interesting and powerful ?

Excuse me? Did you just literally say that "fite me I'll reck u" as an argument?

You're not making any sense. You claim you want pokemon that are "more interesting" which is OPINION BASED. and "powerful" When Megas can MAKE things powerful. For instance. They gave Mawile, which is a completely trash Pokemon (and one of my favorites) who is only decent in PU, the lowest tier, and made it Ubers with a Mega.

So...why wouldn't you want Solrock and Lunatone to get Megas when they can potentially be Mawile level of power change. 

Also I would like to mention that personally I find Ubers one of the worst/most boring tiers, competitively. To me it's counterproductive to make more than a couple Pokemon specifically for the tier.

Gardevoir was still relatively decent before Gen 6, barring its average speed and weakness to a lot of common threats. Getting a Mega (and becoming part Fairy) made it better. Has to worry about Steel/Poison now for new weaknesses, but Gardevoir can deal with the latter anyway (unless it's off Gengar or something); at least it can deal with some of the Dark types that gave it problems.

-----

Each of us has our own thoughts about what Pokes should get a Mega/alternate form either in Sun/Moon or elsewhere in the franchise's history (for however long the games keep going); not all of them will be shared.

As was mentioned earlier quite a few times, Megas are supposed to give certain Pokemon redemption in usage (generally ones that weren't as useful prior to XY or even ORAS), although this honor has been extended to some stronger stuff as well (which were already capable of holding their own even before then).

With regard to Solrock/Lunatone, if they do get Mega Evolutions or alternative forms, we just have to see how they turn out; are they going to convince players to give them a second shot at life OR like Mega Garchomp and some others, not do much at all for their cause? For the record, I'm neutral on those two at the moment.

If every (fully evolved) Pokemon could get a Mega, then maybe less of them would be considered "junk" in the end (it would depend on how their Megas are designed); though Megas are supposed to be a special thing and given to stuff that really needs it. That, and it's pretty certain that the designers aren't going to design a stone for every evolutionary line that hasn't already gotten a Mega.

One thing I wanna say. I know Solrock and Lunatone are the Sun and Moon pokemon, but do they really need Megas? I mean, yes, they suck, and could use a boost, but I think I rather see an evolution line then a Mega. 

What I do want is my Mega Machamp and Jotho starters! C'mon!! 

And something for Regigias, please? Seriously, it did not need Slow Start.

One thing I wanna say. I know Solrock and Lunatone are the Sun and Moon pokemon, but do they really need Megas? I mean, yes, they suck, and could use a boost, but I think I rather see an evolution line then a Mega. 

What I do want is my Mega Machamp and Jotho starters! C'mon!! 

And something for Regigias, please? Seriously, it did not need Slow Start.

I'd be fine with them getting an actual evolutionary line as opposed to Megas. If Gen 4 can do that to Pokes that lacked evolutionary lines up until that point, then don't see why Gen 7 can't. At least it's SOMETHING to make them better (and they get access to Eviolite's stat boosts).

Considering that Kanto and Hoenn got their Megas, I would assume that the other regions will get theirs in due time.

And yeah, Regigigas could use a Mega or even a Hidden Ability because Slow Start is the worst possible thing for it. That, and Truant. (Though I suppose the same could be said for Slaking, since it too has a bad Ability [albeit it can at least keep its high Attack from the start in exchange for losing an attack every other turn])

Gardevoir was still relatively decent before Gen 6, barring its average speed and weakness to a lot of common threats. Getting a Mega (and becoming part Fairy) made it better. Has to worry about Steel/Poison now for new weaknesses, but Gardevoir can deal with the latter anyway (unless it's off Gengar or something); at least it can deal with some of the Dark types that gave it problems.

Gardevoir was actually pretty terrible. People love her, but from a competitive stand point, she was in NU in both 4th and 5th gen. Honestly, Fairy/Psychic is one of the best duel combos since you trade your Bug and Dark weakness for a Steel and Poison one and those are REALLY bad offensive types.

Truth be told, I'd be disappointed if older Pokemon only got Mega Evolutions going forward, so I'm 100% down with a normal evolution.

I'd love to see Solrock and Lunatone to be evolved by a Moon Stone and Sun Stone respectively, causing Solrock to evolve into an eclipse pokemon, while Lunatone becomes a blood moon pokemon.

Unlikely. When they introduce new evolutions the method to evolve them is normally not one we had previously had available. They TRY to avoid weird things like X Pokemon couldn't evolve from a Moon Stone, but now is can. Not saying it can't happen (adding new types causes MUCH worse internal problems then this) but they do try to keep it from happening if they can.

Archived