Pokemon Sun & Moon

Tinkerer

• Replies 4.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

who cares about them dumb pieces of rocks, nintendo should give mega to strong pokemon or pokemon who would give impact in games and competitive battling, not those pokemon who exist just to be "ev grind mash monsters"

Flygon's sitting in the corner yelling "Hey Gamefreak, give me a Mega Evolution; not those two rocks", because seriously, the thing deserves one by now. Granted, some of the Pokes that got Megas were pretty much gimmicks in Gen 5 and earlier; only with a Mega did they become competent. (And yes, a few Type retcons)

Though, Mega Garchomp isn't really that great (is ChainChomp really worth it for a speed drop?) so that's probably one of the Megas that don't improve on their base form much.

-----

Personally, I really don't care much for Solrock and Lunatone; they're a paired thing but right now, they aren't great. (Though, since this is Sun/Moon, maybe they'll get some relevance to the plot. If they do get Megas or alternative forms, they had at least be viable enough to compete in UU.)

Oh yeah, and hopefully we get the soaring feature again (if it has something to do with the plot).

who cares about them dumb pieces of rocks, nintendo should give mega to strong pokemon or pokemon who would give impact in games and competitive battling, not those pokemon who exist just to be "ev grind mash monsters"

Yes, because all the Pokemon that got me has and had impact fit your grand criteria.

Not like Mawhile, Altaria, or Kangaskhan happened or anything.

I've got a hunch that whatever new mechanic represented by that crystal symbol is, it might replace Mega Evolutions for this gen (though they'll probably keep those who already exist); in that case, I hope at least they'll keep the same total base stat increase, otherwise the mon blessed with it will run the risk of being overshadowed by their Mega cousins in terms of battle prowess.

Kangaskhan has one of the best ME in the game, and Mawile is really powerful too with Altaria also being a really versatile and good mon. Beedrill, despite its horrid base stat, has a mega that's actually a threat and does well with assistance or in UU. On the flipside, Mega Blaziken doesn't give that much to the fire chicken, Mega Tyranitar is more underwhelming than expected, mega garchomp is subpar, and mega Lati is just sad.

Oh also Mega Loppuny is pretty dang powerful, even if the base mon is a joke.

All in all, quality of the base mon matters little when it comes to ME. If anything, the biggest reason why it might be a bad thing is how it (more likely than not) would lock them out from getting an actual evolution down the line especially where it would make sense (Mawile being one of the biggest example).

I am literally saving all my money from the year just to make sure I can cash in on this game.

Been watching some videos, and someone called Twintendo says it looks to be based in Hawaii? I personally think it is as well , but what do you guys think?

Read the thread.

The evidence points towards Hawaii with some influence from other South Pacific Islands, such as Singapore. There's also potential for it to draw further inspiration from French Polynesia, given the implied connections to Kalos.

We really only have one piece of evidence with a hotel that may or may not look like a hotel in Singapore and some palm trees pointing to a tropical setting. Sure, we can call one piece of evidence "all of the evidence" but it's still just one single thing, so I'd keep that in mind.

If we had an Archipelago-like region (like the ones in the Original Series and Best Wishes series of the anime), based off the Pacific territories, I think it'd be somewhat interesting.

As long as water isn't garbage anymore, sure.

Unova, based on New York, has cover legendaries based on Taoist concepts and Kalos, on Nordic Mythology, so even if the new region is based on Hawaii, it's not guaranteed its mascots will be (exclusively) based on local myths.

That's why they're going to bring balance and make the next gen based in Korea and use mythologies of northeastern native americans.

(after that outburst about OR/AS or Hoenn in general, I'm tempted not to even bother with IGN any further; least not as much)

Do you mean you won't bother with IGN because of a very legitimate criticism in their review of the game that in no way was an "outburst", or the actual outburst from everywhere else on the internet that overreacted to said criticism and ignored the fact that they had a point?

I don't think I've seen anyone here bring this up.

So, when XY was shown, the Mega Symbol was part of the Japanese logo
xy-jp-logo.jpg

This is the logo for S/M
CcK0K2cWEAA9iIP.png

Thats an interesting crystal. People have compared it to the Burst Hearts from Pokemon ReBURST (the manga). I don't think thats a direction the main games can go (IMO it would be better used in an action game) but I've seen people bring up Ash-Greninja as an example of the reverse happening which could work. The anime hasn't given any clue what Ash-Greninja is and it could totally end up being a preview at what is to come in Gen 7, something they do often in the anime. It likely would function just as a Mega Evolution, but having the Pokemon take on the trainer's appearance would be cool, though I feel it would only work well if customization is left in. In all likelihood that isn't what the crystal will end up being, but I feel like it has a good odds of having SOME tie in with whatever new thing this gen will bring.

HERE WE GOOOOOOO

frontier.jpg

We really only have one piece of evidence with a hotel that may or may not look like a hotel in Singapore and some palm trees pointing to a tropical setting. Sure, we can call one piece of evidence "all of the evidence" but it's still just one single thing, so I'd keep that in mind.

You clearly haven't actually looked, then. 

The tiki object in Kalos is another piece, and there are more, though some of the "evidence" is a stretch at best.

Here's a dump pic that was last updated a few days ago, but covers some of it.

Water in Hoenn is bad because it's tedious, filled with repetitive battles and minimal point of interests aside from item hunting (which got tedious after a while anyway especially with how much you need to keep track on all the dive spots), it's really easy to get lost around the sea with how really similar everything looks, and it composes the meat of the game's later parts, so you'd be there for a looong time. Trainers barely having any progressions in level is also a crime.

However, making the region starts off as islands from the start and designing things from there would probably help, since the tediousness of water zones will become an immediately clear issue that should be handled.

Also there is this:

Perhaps it's just the cynic in me, but when have the games' titles related directly to the legendary pokemon's lore in any of the previous games? I always thought the games' names merely had impact on their physical design.

...that said, it would be pretty cool to have the games' titles speak to the irl lore of the legendaries.

Perhaps it's just the cynic in me, but when have the games' titles related directly to the legendary pokemon's lore in any of the previous games? I always thought the games' names merely had impact on their physical design.

...that said, it would be pretty cool to have the games' titles speak to the irl lore of the legendaries.

Would be cool, but let's see how they decide to execute it.

As for the Mega Eons, needless to say that I wasn't really happy with how they turned out (especially since those are the ones I use very often). Stat boosts were okay to an extent (I would've preferred them to get at least a speed boost instead of physical attack though, since most of the time, you aren't using it) and yeah, the designs were a letdown. Should've been distinct and kept their original colors instead of both of them being purple and otherwise identical in appearance bar eye color. [Then again, I've yet to use Mega Latias properly; her bro isn't too bad, but at best, it's a defensive buff as I still run a full special set and don't even use the physical attack boost)

But otherwise, it would be nice if the trainers got stronger during each consecutive rematch (OR/AS had them cap at level 50-55 or something after a while).

Barring Hydreigon/Goodra, the other pseudo-legendaries already got their Mega forms (though only Drake/Steven even use them in-game). Dragonite deserves one; that's for certain. Naming for its stone will be awkward though (Japanese won't sound weird, but it will in English; suppose they can call it "Dragonisite" or something [yeah, I'm not sold on it]).

Though, if we only restricted Megas to the powerhouse Pokes, then a lot of the other stuff would still be left to rot in the box (and yeah, bruiser Pokes become that much more painful to deal with; depending on what happens though].

A side note that a few members here like the gimmicky Pokes, even if they aren't as well-received as a lot of others. Up until OR/AS, Beedrill was just some random Bug Pokemon; now, it's actually threatening (though you need to block for a turn before it can wreck stuff due to speed and other factors).

----

That in mind, there are a few Pokes that needed one since X/Y even came out (and should've went before stuff like Glalie or some other strange choices).

a evolution for bulky pokemon or dragon types would benefit more because even due to player popularity anyone would like to play for example mega-dragonite over mega sheet solrock/lunatone.

I'm not sure where your quality line is, but AT LEAST 23 (half the total number of Megas) would have been Pokemon a lot of people counted as trash (RU and NU). If you include UU Pokemon in that group you get 31 of the 46, about 2/3 as being bad. So yea, while a number did go to already good Pokemon, the major goals of Mega Evolution was to breath new life into a ton of Pokemon. Also, if you look at which gen was given the most favor, it was Gen 3 since it had a TON of trash Pokemon that really needed help. Solrock and Lunatone are PRIME Pokemon to get Mega evos in Sun and Moon.

You suck.

Thats a bit much. The way people play Pokemon and what they want out of the game various wildly, he's just giving his take. I mean Sakura called out Glalie's mega as really unwarranted for example. He just feels that way about the space rocks. Everyone has Pokemon they couldn't care less about and assume most people share that opinion, so seeing them get a substantial buff with a new evolution to them feels wasted because they would have preferred it go to someone else.

Just remember, a lot of your feelings towards a Pokemon can change when they get a new design and stat changes so just because something you don't like might get an evolution, that evolution can turn out becoming one of your new favorite Pokemon.

I wasn't talking about the Pokemon in particular, but the principle he was putting forward.

I was too. I get not wanting something you think you forgettable trash get a major buff while the stuff you like is left out in the cold. Humans are funny in that we tend to assume everyone shares our mentality. Something we think is really cool we assume everyone else to think is really cool and something we think is forgettable trash we assume everyone else thinks is forgettable trash. I'm sure I could come up with a Pokemon that would elicit a "really, you want THAT Pokemon to get a evolution/mega". As said, Sakura did similar with Glalie.

That said, I think its wrong to dismiss the Pokemon you don't care about as getting a new form for two reason. 1) Not everything is going to be meant for you, and 2) something you viewed as forgettable trash could become your favorite Pokemon should it get a evolution/mega.

On these notes, I really want Sandslash to get a new form. Its a Pangolin and those things need more love in Pokemon. I'd also be ok with a new Pangolin based Pokemon.

Archived