Yu-Gi-Oh! Rulings Questions

• Replies 16.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Doesn't Factory say "if" anyway? "If" effects cannot miss timing.

Anyways. Can someone explain to me.

I summon a Synchro/Xyz.

it gets book of mooned.

next turn, I flip it, and it gets warning'd.

Why is it no longer able to be summon'd by Call of the Haunted/Monster Reborn, despite being properly summoned a turn earlier?

Refer to chaos sorc vs solemn judgment

Refer to chaos sorc vs solemn judgment

I think it's a case that he knows what the ruling is, he doesn't get WHY it's ruled that way.

Galaxy Eyes vs. Light and Darkness Dragon. Can the opponent continually activate GEPD's effect to cancel out LaDD like how you can continually activate Treeborn Frog, or will it only activate once and then procedure occurs as normal?

As far as I can tell, yes, you may do this. Play does not progress to Damage Step until both players have agreed they don't want to activate any more cards, and there is no limit to the number of chains that can form during the Battle Step. Since Galaxy-Eyes doesn't have a once-per-battle restriction, it should still be able to activate its effect because it is still battling an opposing monster.

As far as I can tell, yes, you may do this. Play does not progress to Damage Step until both players have agreed they don't want to activate any more cards, and there is no limit to the number of chains that can form during the Battle Step. Since Galaxy-Eyes doesn't have a once-per-battle restriction, it should still be able to activate its effect because it is still battling an opposing monster.

Which is ludicrously BS. Because if you negate its effect, you can't attack it. because it could cause an infinite loop of GEPD trying to activate.

/ygopro experiences

Which is ludicrously BS. Because if you negate its effect, you can't attack it. because it could cause an infinite loop of GEPD trying to activate.

/ygopro experiences

I honestly can't tell what you're saying here.

Specifically, I don't know what you mean by an infinite loop. If a card like Skill Drain is active, Galaxy-Eyes can activate, but it will resolve with no effect, because GEPD is being negated. This isn't the same thing as Galaxy-Eyes activating, but the activation itself being negated by LADD.

Though Galaxy-Eyes does sadly exist in a grey area, where there's no ruling about whether Galaxy-Eyes can activate twice in the same chain. It logically should not be able to, but its text doesn't indicate this in any form.

Do you have Ygopro?

Have the AI summon GEPD. Negate its effect. Attack it. Watch what happens. Then you'll see what I mean by "You can't exactly attack it"

So...the AI is stupid, and tries to spam GEPD's effect, but because nothing changes, it activates it again infinitely? Ugh...that's only a problem with poorly programmed AI, though. While you legally can do that, you'd be reported for stalling so fast...

If you summon Sirenorca with A Legendary Ocean on the field, and change the levels of your monsters, will ALO then apply and make them actually be 1 level lower than what you declared?

No. If ALO is already active, and you Summon Sirenorca, the current Levels will become whatever you declared. ALO's modifer has already been applied to the monsters on the Field. Changing them to a set value afterwards keeps them at that value.

Doesn't Factory say "if" anyway? "If" effects cannot miss timing.

Anyways. Can someone explain to me.

I summon a Synchro/Xyz.

it gets book of mooned.

next turn, I flip it, and it gets warning'd.

Why is it no longer able to be summon'd by Call of the Haunted/Monster Reborn, despite being properly summoned a turn earlier?

A monster whose Summon was negated is not properly summoned to the field, regardless of its previously summoned status.  Your Flip Summon of the aforementioned monster was negated.  That monster is not considered to have been successfully summoned in any way shape or form nor is it considered to have existed on the Field either (see Sangan's Flip Summon being negated by an effect.  Sangan will not activate in this way).

Treat the negation of a Flip Summon the same as you would any other negated Summon: A Summon which was unsuccessful, which means the monster was never summoned properly.

A monster whose Summon was negated is not properly summoned to the field, regardless of its previously summoned status.  Your Flip Summon of the aforementioned monster was negated.  That monster is not considered to have been successfully summoned in any way shape or form nor is it considered to have existed on the Field either (see Sangan's Flip Summon being negated by an effect.  Sangan will not activate in this way).

Treat the negation of a Flip Summon the same as you would any other negated Summon: A Summon which was unsuccessful, which means the monster was never summoned properly.

Like he said, he knows that that is the ruling. He just doesnt understand how that makes logical sense, ignoring the practical. And frankly, it is a bit of a weird ruling in theory.

Like he said, he knows that that is the ruling. He just doesnt understand how that makes logical sense, ignoring the practical. And frankly, it is a bit of a weird ruling in theory.

That's the logic of the ruling. It makes sense...but in a weird, slightly disjointed way. The best way in theory to interpret it is that Summon negation 'intercepts' the card before it's face-up on the Field, and even the action of turning the card from facedown to face-up can be intercepted and thrown into the Graveyard, then have the malicious little fiend doing the action claim the card wasn't on the Field.

First let me say that I'm aware of how chaining to your own card activations and effects works in the sense that player A adds chain link 1 and then player B has a chance to add chain link 2 but if they don't player A can and so on. I'm just confused about what misses the timing regarding effects that activate If/when a monster is normal summoned.

1. If you normal summon Tin Goldfish and activate its effect (or any monster with a similar "If/when this card is normal summoned: you can..." effect really), can you chain another effect that activates when you normal summon, such as kagetokage.

2. Can you chain multiple kagetokage to 1 normal summon?

3. Can you do "1." and chain a 2nd kagetokage afterwards?

4. If your opponent chains something [that's not a counter trap] as chain link 2 during any of the above, would it prevent you from chaining additional kagetokage?

First let me say that I'm aware of how chaining to your own card activations and effects works in the sense that player A adds chain link 1 and then player B has a chance to add chain link 2 but if they don't player A can and so on. I'm just confused about what misses the timing regarding effects that activate If/when a monster is normal summoned.

1. If you normal summon Tin Goldfish and activate its effect (or any monster with a similar "If/when this card is normal summoned: you can..." effect really), can you chain another effect that activates when you normal summon, such as kagetokage.

2. Can you chain multiple kagetokage to 1 normal summon?

3. Can you do "1." and chain a 2nd kagetokage afterwards?

4. If your opponent chains something [that's not a counter trap] as chain link 2 during any of the above, would it prevent you from chaining additional kagetokage?

1) Yes. You can chain a Trigger Effect that has the same timing as another Trigger Effect.

2) No. You may only activate one Trigger Effect that activates from the hand at a time. The same idea is why you can't use two copies of Tragoedia to the same instance of Battle Damage.

3) No. Same as question 2. Only 1 Trigger Effect from the hand can activate in response to an action.

4) Since you cannot chain multiple Kagetokage, no.

/ygopro experiences

If a player controlled action would cause an infinite loop with no net change, you can only do that action once.

Just like Treeborn Frog vs King Tiger Wanghu. You can summon Treeborn once, let it get destroyed, but doing it any more than that is considered an illegal infinite loop. In a tournament setting you'd receive a warning. Same thing would happen to the controller of Galaxy-Eyes, because they can choose to not activate its effect.

If YgoPro is doing what you say it's doing, contact those people and tell them to fix it, because that's just dumb.

If a player controlled action would cause an infinite loop, you can only do that action once.

Just like Treeborn Frog vs King Tiger Wanghu. You can summon Treeborn once, let it get destroyed, but doing it any more than that is considered an illegal infinite loop. In a tournament setting you'd receive a warning. Same thing would happen to the controller of Galaxy-Eyes, because they can choose to not activate its effect.

If YgoPro is doing what you say it's doing, contact those people and tell them to fix it, because that's just dumb.

What if the infinite loop actually does something? It can still be used, to a certain degree, as long as you basically state what would happen? (ie: Flint loop, say you have 1 billion Life Points before you end the loop)

What if the infinite loop actually does something? It can still be used, to a certain degree, as long as you basically state what would happen? (ie: Flint loop, say you have 1 billion Life Points before you end the loop)

Lemme edit to say "Infinite loop with no net change"

So I was dueling today and came across a problem. Let's say I have two plant-type monsters face up on my field, and my opponent has a Lava Golem in their hand. When he tries to summon Lava Golem by sacrificing my only two monsters, can I activate Pollinosis to negate its summoning or would my monsters be removed from the field before Pollinosis can even be activated? 

Archived