Yu-Gi-Oh! Rulings Questions

• Replies 16.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hmm, if I attack with an Ancient Gear monster and activated Forbidden Tome, Is my opponent still unable to not activate Spells & Traps until the end of the Damage step?

Never got an answer to this.

Also about Tome, if it's chained after a lance or any other damage step effects with those effects apply anyways? What about before? Asking to make sure 'm right when such an event occurs.

Forbidden Tome negates the effects of everything except the two battling monsters, does it not?

Lance can't be activated in the same Chain as Tome because Lance cannot be used during Damage Calculation. If Tome is used in a battle where a monster is already Lanced, Lance will block the stat refresh from Tome.

^ I'm not so sure about that. Tome doesn't seem to affect the monster, at all, except for the effect negation, just the battle. It doesn't change the attack.

In other words, its affecting the actual damage calculation, not the monster.

Basically, it says "The damage calculation is performed using the original values" instead of "Change the values to their original".  The higher/lower attack value is still there, its just being ignored.

The effect of Tome:

During damage calculation, if a monster you control battles an opponent's monster: Until the end of the Damage Step, the effects of all other cards currently on the field are negated, also this damage calculation is performed using the original ATK and DEF of the battling monsters.

RULING:

IE: You're wrong.

That's correct. Tome bypasses the other Forbidden cards. It doesn't affect the monsters' battling, just uses the printed values when determining which monster is destroyed/Damage dealt. As opposed to say, Tachyon, which states the ATK of all monsters becomes their original ATK.

Since Tome is during Damage Calculation, the opponent being attacked by an Ancient Gear is still unable to use S/T effects. Very few cards activate during Damage Calculation anyway.

Interesting.

I will also re-ask an earlier question.

If Morphing Jar #2, my only monster, is flipped and killed by an attack, and returns 2 of my opponent's monsters to the Deck while I control Kaiser Colosseum, is the effect of Colosseum applied, and how?

Interesting.

I will also re-ask an earlier question.

If Morphing Jar #2, my only monster, is flipped and killed by an attack, and returns 2 of my opponent's monsters to the Deck while I control Kaiser Colosseum, is the effect of Colosseum applied, and how?

That entirely depends on if you have another monster on the field.

If you don't, then they'll summon with no problem as you have no monsters on the field. Say that you do, though, or rather let's just say you flipped Morphing Jar #2 on your turn.

Morphing Jar #2 flips. Assume nothing is chained. At resolution, both of the opponent's monsters go to the deck, Morphing Jar #2 goes to the deck. Both players excavate until the required number is reached. Let's say you both show all Level 4s that can be summoned. Due to Kaiser Colosseum being face-up on the field, the opponent would select one to summon and the other would go directly to the Grave from the Deck. If you showed a monster that you could not summon, the opponent would be able to summon both of the Level 4 monsters they excavated.

^ I'm not so sure about that. Tome doesn't seem to affect the monster, at all, except for the effect negation, just the battle. It doesn't change the attack.

In other words, its affecting the actual damage calculation, not the monster.

Basically, it says "The damage calculation is performed using the original values" instead of "Change the values to their original".  The higher/lower attack value is still there, its just being ignored.

The effect of Tome:

During damage calculation, if a monster you control battles an opponent's monster: Until the end of the Damage Step, the effects of all other cards currently on the field are negated, also this damage calculation is performed using the original ATK and DEF of the battling monsters.

RULING:

IE: You're wrong.

That's correct. Tome bypasses the other Forbidden cards. It doesn't affect the monsters' battling, just uses the printed values when determining which monster is destroyed/Damage dealt. As opposed to say, Tachyon, which states the ATK of all monsters becomes their original ATK.

Since Tome is during Damage Calculation, the opponent being attacked by an Ancient Gear is still unable to use S/T effects. Very few cards activate during Damage Calculation anyway.

perfect, this is exactly what I was hoping would happen. :)

Thanks for the help.

That entirely depends on if you have another monster on the field.

If you don't, then they'll summon with no problem as you have no monsters on the field. Say that you do, though, or rather let's just say you flipped Morphing Jar #2 on your turn.

Morphing Jar #2 flips. Assume nothing is chained. At resolution, both of the opponent's monsters go to the deck, Morphing Jar #2 goes to the deck. Both players excavate until the required number is reached. Let's say you both show all Level 4s that can be summoned. Due to Kaiser Colosseum being face-up on the field, the opponent would select one to summon and the other would go directly to the Grave from the Deck. If you showed a monster that you could not summon, the opponent would be able to summon both of the Level 4 monsters they excavated.

Morphing Jar #2 is considered destroyed and WILL NOT go back to the deck. It will remain on the field until it's effect resolves, then will go to the Graveyard. The opponent will only summon the first monster shown (if all are summonable)

Morphing Jar #2 is considered destroyed and WILL NOT go back to the deck. It will remain on the field until it's effect resolves, then will go to the Graveyard. The opponent will only summon the first monster shown (if all are summonable)

There was no dispute about it being destroyed. As to the rest, this is correct, I forgot about Substep 6. It remains on the field until Substep 7 of the Damage Step. Morphing Jar #2's effect will activate and be resolved in Substep 6 and both of the opponent's monsters will be spun to the Deck, and then they will excavate and attempt to summon, but Kaiser Colosseum will force both monsters to be sent directly from the Deck to the Grave as Morphing Jar #2 is not sent to the grave until Substep 7.

If I use HERO Mask on a monster and call it Sparkman, then equip it with Spark Blaster, do I lose Spark Blaster when the monster stops being called Sparkman?

Yes. Spark Blaster can only be equipped to Sparkman, so when the equipped monster is no longer a valid target for Blaster, the equip is sent to the Graveyard.

Can you activate Artifact Movement with a full backrow with Artifact Movement being one of them? Rulings dont specify, and when I faced this scenario, I didn't know what to make of it.

No, because Movement is on the field until it resolves and there is no space to place the Artifact on the field. That part of the effect is mandatory and you cannot activate the card if it cannot properly resolve.

Can Forbidden Tome be used after Double Dragon Descent resolves? Separate from that, can Tachyon Chaos Hole be used after the battle?

I think "No" to the first part. The ruling says that Damage Calculation is performed by the effect, meaning it is still in the middle of resolving when Damage Calculation is occuring.

Yes, Tachyon Chaos Hole can be used afterwards.

So, can you Summon any Ritual Monster with ARA?

Indeed.

As for the Lonefire/Rooster questions, yes, you can. While the field may full now, it knows that, if no other effects interfere, there will be an open spot for the card to plop into as per its cost.

This question is somewhat more general.

I have been disconnected from the game since around october or november. What new rules and terms should I study, that I am to find more often once I return to the game, in some weeks?

And something else, somewhat off-topic, as it is not rule-related, what new decks have entered the TCG since then, and what is dominating right now?

Learn about cards that say things like "You can only use 'X' once per turn". There are oodles of them.

A question about Dark World Grimoire. If I control it and Super-Ancient Dinobeast, discard a Dinosaur for hand size limit, then revive it with Grimoire, can I use Dinobeast's effect to draw again, discarding another Dinosaur for hand size limit, etc. until I control 5 monsters?

Archived