Yu-Gi-Oh! Rulings Questions

Can I Compulse my monster back if it's been Solemn Warning'd?

No. Solemn Warning is a Counter Trap. Only Counter Traps may respond to other Counter Traps.

Also, when it comes to Summon negation effects, the monster having its Summon negated is NOT considered to be on the Field, and therefore cannot be targeted.

• Replies 16.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My opponent controls Shadow-Imprisoning Mirror. I Tribute Evilswarm Ketos, targeting the Mirror, then chain Crevice Into the Different Dimension to banish Ketos from my Graveyard. Is the Mirror destroyed?

No. It doesn't matter where Ketos ends up. Shadow-Imprisoning Mirror specifically states that it negates effects activated on the field or graveyard. Regardless of where Ketos ended up (in this case, the banish pile thanks to Crevice), its effect will be negated since it still activated on the field.

This is hypothetical, largely.

Say an Equip Spell Card triggers specifically when it is destroyed and sent to the Graveyard. If I equip it to an opponent's monster and then destroy it, would I get that effect?

Yes, if the opponent's monster is a valid target for equipping, then you can equip it to an opponent's monster. Based on Noble Knights, if an equip goes to the Grave because the equipped monster died, it was considered destroyed.

Card effect, sorry.

And the original question was actually more about what side of the field the Equip Spell Card considers itself when equipped to an opponent's monster, i.e. when an Equip Spell Card with that trigger is equipped to the opponent's monster, then destroyed by the player who equipped it, does the player that equips the monster get that effect?

I'd give an example with Axe of Despair, but it doesn't care where it is sent from, it looks like.

I think they are considered your cards for other effects, but that's still not crystal clear in terms of that.

I have a question: if you're using Diabolos King of the Abyss and use Ectoplasmer does he get killed too? I know he says he can't be tributed BUT I looked up rulings for him and that ruling about him surviving Ectoplasmer is now a previously official ruling meaning it isn't actually how it works and he can be tributed now. But my friend is being butthurt about it and says that's not true so what do you guys say?

Card effect, sorry.

And the original question was actually more about what side of the field the Equip Spell Card considers itself when equipped to an opponent's monster, i.e. when an Equip Spell Card with that trigger is equipped to the opponent's monster, then destroyed by the player who equipped it, does the player that equips the monster get that effect?

I'd give an example with Axe of Despair, but it doesn't care where it is sent from, it looks like.

I think they are considered your cards for other effects, but that's still not crystal clear in terms of that.

If the equip said it had to be destroyed by card effect, it won't activate if the equipped monster is destroyed.

Equip cards activated by you are on your side of the Field and are considered your card/effect. If the equip activates in the Graveyard, it always activates in your Graveyard because you're the owner of the card.

I have a question: if you're using Diabolos King of the Abyss and use Ectoplasmer does he get killed too? I know he says he can't be tributed BUT I looked up rulings for him and that ruling about him surviving Ectoplasmer is now a previously official ruling meaning it isn't actually how it works and he can be tributed now. But my friend is being butthurt about it and says that's not true so what do you guys say?

The "previously official ruling" thing just means it was a ruling issued by Upper Deck. Unless a new ruling has been issued, those rulings USUALLY still are correct.

In this case, Diabolos cannot be Tributed by Ectoplasmer, because it can't be Tributed by card effects.

Cards like Psychic Reactor and Spellbook of Power have always confused me, it is still the effect of the Spell/Trap that gets activated right? Also, would it considered activated in the Graveyard/wherever the card is when it activates or on the field?

no, card like those when resolved leaves a lingering effect, which does not activates, and cannot be negated so after the card resolved,if later on there is a card that prevent activation/negate effect it will still be applied

example on lingering is gagaga cowboy activating its atk pos effect, then later on the same turn shock master is activated declaring monster, it wont prevent gagaga cowboy atk pos effect since its already resolved and leaving lingering effect

no, card like those when resolved leaves a lingering effect, which does not activates, and cannot be negated so after the card resolved,if later on there is a card that prevent activation/negate effect it will still be applied

example on lingering is gagaga cowboy activating its atk pos effect, then later on the same turn shock master is activated declaring monster, it wont prevent gagaga cowboy atk pos effect since its already resolved and leaving lingering effect

I am speaking about the second effects of them, which do activate.

Question on an hypothetical effect:

Let's say there is monster that targets and gains the effects of Continuous Traps in the grave. If you target Skill Drain, what would happen? the monster negates itself? would it be an invalid target because of card mechanics?

Question on an hypothetical effect:

Let's say there is monster that targets and gains the effects of Continuous Traps in the grave. If you target Skill Drain, what would happen? the monster negates itself? would it be an invalid target because of card mechanics?

It would cause an infinite loop and be an unallowed move due to game mechanics.

If I Special Summon Express Train Trolley Olley with Iron Call, then Xyz Summon, do I get the ATK boost?

Yes you do, as it's an Xyz Material, so it's no longer on the field.

Cards like Psychic Reactor and Spellbook of Power who have a second effect that activates have always confused me, it is still the effect of the Spell/Trap that gets activated right? Also, would it considered activated in the Graveyard/wherever the card is when it activates or on the field?

Still waiting for an answer to this.

I can definitely say it's still the effect of the S/T that activates, but I'm not positive where the effect is considered to be activating from. It's not clear, and there aren't any rulings saying one way or the other that I could find, and I'm also struggling to think of scenarios where it matters.

I want to say that the effect is activating from the Field, even though the physical card is no longer on the Field, because the effect(s) still would activate even if you returned Spellbook of Power to the hand or Deck, so it's not activating from the Graveyard.

So Volcanic Scattershot's effect reads that it can only activate its effect when it's sent "for the effect of a "Blaze Accelerator" card."

If I use Blaze Accelerator's second effect of banishing itself to send a Volcanic monster to the Graveyard, does Scattershot's effects activate?

Archived