Yu-Gi-Oh! Rulings Questions

• Replies 16.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Does the kill protection from multiple copies of Intrigue Shield stack?

No. Regardless of how many Intrigue Shield are applied to a monster, it will only survive being destroyed once per turn.

Cards that protect something a specific number of times, you apply the highest number among those cards as the maximum. So if you had Intrigue Shield, and another Trap that protected twice a turn, the monster can only survive twice, as the maximum effect is 2 times, even if you activated the second Trap after Intrigue had protected once already.

This chain just occured, and I have a feeling DevPro got it wrong.

I use Infernoid Beelzebul's effect

He responds with Skill Drain

I use http://yugioh.wikia.com/wiki/Apostle_of_Purgatory

He responds again with Breakthrough Skill.

What happened:

Beelzebul's effect was negated by Breakthrough Skill and resolved effectlessly

What I think should have happened:

Beelzebul's effect is negated by Breakthrough Skill

Apostle of Purgatory resolves, making Beelzebul unaffected by my opponent's card effects - Beelzebul is no longer negated by Breakthrough Skill, is not affected by Skill Drain, and resolves properly.

Is this right, or can you not be protected from Breakthrough Skill after it has already resolved by gaining immunity to card effects for some reason?

If you were to... lets say... activate Trap Hole(etc.), have Banisher of Radiance(etc.) on the field, and the targeted monster cannot be sent to the graveyard by Card Effects... will the effect go thru to banish it?

EDIT: Sorry, misread. Fixing answer.

Banisher and similar banishes the card INSTEAD if it would be sent to the Graveyard, but first it has to be in the "process" of being sent to the Graveyard. If you have a card that says "This card cannot be sent to the Graveyard by a card effect", it can't be destroyed by Trap Hole. It CAN be destroyed by Bottomless, since Bottomless destroys and banishes.

Couple things with Ritual Beasts:

Dimensional Fissure is active, can I still use Fusion Kannahawk's effect to return cards to the Graveyard?

And I had the Fusions' effects negated, but I could still return them to the Extra Deck (as cost maybe)?

Yes. "Returning" cards to the Graveyard is not "sending them to the Graveyard". Therefore, it bypasses effects like D-Prison and Macro Cosmos.

Yes, you can return the Fusions to the Extra Deck as the cost for their effects, but the rest of the effect will not resolve if they are being negated (by something other than Skill Drain).

Well doesn't the effect resolve since it's not face-up anymore?

Skill Drain is a weird card in itself. Most times, if a card is just negated, such as by Effect Veiler, Junk Synchron, Breakthrough Skill, whatever, all its effects that activate or apply on the Field will be negated, if they activated on the Field. This is the typical rule for Negation Effects: If it activated from the Field while negated, it's still negated, even if the card is no longer face-up at resolution.

However, Skill Drain SPECIFICALLY states that it negates face-up monsters. If the monster is not face-up when it resolves, Skill Drain will not negate it. However, this is more the exception, not the rule.

If Skill Drain was out when you used a Ritual Beast Fusion's effect, it WILL resolve because the monster is no longer face-up at resolution. If it was negated by something else, it will NOT resolve.

Might as well get this ruling out of the way before some kid decides to call BS next time I play him.

Basically, when BTH triggers, does it target or not?

Given the wording, I don't think it does, but would like to confirm. 

Bottomless does not target, because it is capable of destroying multiple monsters simultaneously.

It's still a bit confusing, I'm reading BTS and it doesn't seem different than Skill Drain. Junk Synchron doesn't specify face-up, so it makes sense that such an effect is still negated off the field. If it matters, the specific situation was vs the Unicore Nekroz, and I still got the effect off.

It's still a bit confusing, I'm reading BTS and it doesn't seem different than Skill Drain. Junk Synchron doesn't specify face-up, so it makes sense that such an effect is still negated off the field. If it matters, the specific situation was vs the Unicore Nekroz, and I still got the effect off.

Skill Drain is an odd card among negation effects. The newest printing of it, fortunately, emphasizes "while those monsters are face-up".

Unicore Nekroz seems to be written very similarly to Skill Drain, so it might work the same way as Skill Drain. The main differences between Veiler/BTS/etc and Skill Drain/Unicore Nekroz is that the latter cases are Continuous Effects, whereas the others are either conditions placed upon a monster (Junk Synchron's negation effect), or one-time effects. Fiendish Chain, for example, continuously negates the targeted monster, so if the monster disappears, the negation wears off.

It's still a bit confusing, I'm reading BTS and it doesn't seem different than Skill Drain.

You aren't reading correctly.

http://yugioh.wikia.com/wiki/Breakthrough_Skill

Target 1 face-up Effect Monster your opponent controls; negate the effects of that opponent's face-up monster, until the end of this turn

http://yugioh.wikia.com/wiki/Skill_Drain

The effects of all face-up monsters on the field are negated while those monsters are face-up on the field (but their effects can still be activated).

The thing that trips me up is the second clause of BTS: "negate the effects of that opponent's face-up monster", which after the specificity of the first clause could've just been "negate the effects of that targeted monster" if they intended for the effect to stay negated.

Archived