Yu-Gi-Oh! Rulings Questions

Someone uses Raigeki Break dropping Graff of the Burning Abyss, I immediately use D.D. Crow and remove it.

Can they use Graff's effect from when it was sent to the Graveyard, even though it isn't in the Graveyard anymore while it's activating?

Does anything change if it's Transmigration Break instead?

I'm pretty sure that any effect that would banish instead would stop Graff's effect, i.e. Transmigration's effect or Dimensional Fissure's effect; but because D.D. Crow needs it to hit the Grave first, Graff's effect still goes off. Don't quote me on that though

• Replies 16.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think that if DD Crow chained to Raigeki Break, Graff won't activate because it is not in the Graveyard at the time it would normally get the chance to activate (after the current chain has resolved).

Correct. The same thing would happen if you discarded Graff for Monster Reincarnation and returned the same Graff. Because it is discarded as a cost, it is not in the Graveyard during its activation timing so it does not activate.

Ghostrick Jackfrost v. Evilswarm Thunderbird

This puzzles me. It seems pretty simple, but I'm an idiot. Lol.

Does Thunderbird get set or does he banish himself? Which resolves first?  

Because Thunderbird can only activate in direct response to an effect activating, Jackfrost must be attempting to activate as Chain Link 1.

Then, Thunderbird may activate as Chain Link 2. Since chains resolve backwards, Thunderbird will banish itself. Because the attacking monster cannot be Set by Jackfrost's effect, Jackfrost will not be Special Summoned and will remain in the hand.

Questions on Dark Lucius LV6.

Can the Level Up effect be used after it destroys a monster that applies a Quick, Trigger or Ignition effect in the Graveyard (Necro Gardna, Pero Pero Cerberus, Amarylease)? Can it be used after it destroys a Mystic Tomato that chose not to activate its effect?

Questions on Dark Lucius LV6.

Can the Level Up effect be used after it destroys a monster that applies a Quick, Trigger or Ignition effect in the Graveyard (Necro Gardna, Pero Pero Cerberus, Amarylease)? Can it be used after it destroys a Mystic Tomato that chose not to activate its effect?

*reads Dark Lucius* ...what the hell?

This card is weird, and the rulings seem kind of sketchy about how exactly it works. From the looks of it, it will always negate the effects of monsters it kills in battle, but it has to have that monster attempt to activate (and fail) to Level up.

So if it kills Necro Gardna, it won't Level up. But if Necro Gardna tries to activate, it will be negated, and then Dark Lucius can Level up. If Mystic Tomato does not attempt to activate, Lucius won't Level up.

But to be honest, this card baffles me, and...oh, it's from Cyberdark Impact. That explains a lot.

If MST is chained to the activation of my Vanity's Emptiness, destroying another of my Trap Cards, is Emptiness destroyed?

It really could go either way, but I'm going to say no.

Mainly because, since it didn't resolve yet, it didn't actually "see" the other card being destroyed and sent to the graveyard. I could be entirely wrong on this though, and I'm thoroughly surprised Konami was not asked this question.

If MST is chained to the activation of my Vanity's Emptiness, destroying another of my Trap Cards, is Emptiness destroyed?

So say you activated Instant fusion and then they chained vanity's and you then chained mst to another of there S/T, then you still wouldnt be able to SS in that chain.

You would have to directly use it on Vanity's.

In the chain, vanity's is not destroyed, but afterward, it dies.

Thats what ive seen in the top rated duels on DN quite often, so im guessing thats right, hope it answers the question clearer.

No, Vanity's Emtpiness has a Trigger-like effect, it's not a Continuous Effect, so it will not destroy itself until after the current Chain finishes, as you cannot interrupt a resolving Chain with another effect.

Thats what ive seen in the top rated duels on DN quite often, so im guessing thats right, hope it answers the question clearer.

That's not a source at all, even top rated duelists can make mistakes.

Vanity's Emptiness will destroy itself on a new chain, after the current chain has resolved. Therefore, if you activate Instant Fusion, and Vanity's Emptiness is chained, and MST is chained, targeting a fourth card, the chain resolves as follows:

Chain Link 1: Instant Fusion

Chain Link 2: Vanity's Emptiness

Chain Link 3: MST, targeting S/T

resolving backwards

Link 3: MST destroys the S/T and sends it to Graveyard.

Link 2: Vanity's Emptiness resolves. Neither player may SS.

Link 1: Instant Fusion cannot resolve due to Vanity's Emptiness.

The player controlling Vanity's Emptiness has not had a card sent to the Graveyard since Emptiness has resolved. Vanity's Emptiness remains on the Field.

Vanity's Emptiness will destroy itself on a new chain, after the current chain has resolved. Therefore, if you activate Instant Fusion, and Vanity's Emptiness is chained, and MST is chained, targeting a fourth card, the chain resolves as follows:

Chain Link 1: Instant Fusion

Chain Link 2: Vanity's Emptiness

Chain Link 3: MST, targeting S/T

resolving backwards

Link 3: MST destroys the S/T and sends it to Graveyard.

Link 2: Vanity's Emptiness resolves. Neither player may SS.

Link 1: Instant Fusion cannot resolve due to Vanity's Emptiness.

The player controlling Vanity's Emptiness has not had a card sent to the Graveyard since Emptiness has resolved. Vanity's Emptiness remains on the Field.

So basically, what I said, but better explanation. Okay. Actually wasn't too sure on it either.

Kinda vague but what cards can you activate and what cards can't you activate under D. Fissure/Macro Cosmos?

Cards that "Send to the graveyard" as a cost mostly.

Such as Effect Veiler

These stuff/things/whatever can't be used under D-Fissure/Cosmos. Although with fissure, if you're sending a spell/trap it can still be used, but not with Macro

So, regarding Zefra Qiuniu...how is the last effect supposed to work? It's a monster effect that mentions Pendulum Zone. So, does it really work in the way that when it IS in a Pendulum zone and gets destroyed, I get to use the monster effect?

Because I was trying Zefras out on the fan YGO Pro patch, and that didn't happen, even when the timing wasn't missed. Programmer's mistake, or...?

Okay, my understanding of the effect is like this:

It has its Pendulum Effect, which only allows Yang Zing/Zefra Pendulum Summoning.

Its Monster Effect is that it activates when it's either Pendulum Summoned, OR when it is destroyed by battle or card effect while it was faceup on the Field, either while a monster, or when in the Pendulum Zone. Because this effect applies when it is a Monster, and not just when it's a Scale, it's not listed as its Pendulum Effect, but instead as its monster effect. However, it still will activate if it was destroyed while a Pendulum Scale.

It will not activate if Qiuniu was destroyed while not treated as a Monster card (such as being equipped to Relinquished). If it didn't activate on YGOpro when destroyed in the Pendulum Zone (assuming it had successfully been placed in the Pendulum Zone), it's a programmer error, because the card explicitly says it will activate if destroyed in the Pendulum Zone.

I have a question concerning the effect of Nikitama...

Cannot be Special Summoned. During the End Phase of the turn this card is Normal Summoned or flipped face-up: Return it to the hand. During the turn this card was Normal Summoned or flipped face-up, you can Normal Summon 1 Spirit monster in addition to your Normal Summon/Set. (You can only gain this effect once per turn.) When this card is sent to the Graveyard: Draw 1 card. You must control a Spirit monster to activate and to resolve this effect.

Now I am out of the loop with how they word card effects now when they miss the timing, but my first guess at this would be the card would miss the timing. However when I was looking at the rulings for OCG i saw this.. 

If "Nikitama" is the only Spirit monster you control, and you Tribute it to Tribute Summon "Dark Dust Spirit", the "When this card is sent to the Graveyard: Draw 1 card." effect will activate. In this case, the effect of "Nikitama" and "Dark Dust Spirit" form a Chain. (The Chain is formed in any order.)[2]

This implying that the card would not miss the timing. 

This is all well and nice but I'd like the confirmation of a YCMer as well.  My main thought was whether or not one would be able to NS Nikitama followed by another Spirit Monster then use Soul Transition for a net of 3 draws.  Any help?

Archived