Yu-Gi-Oh! Rulings Questions

• Replies 16.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Can the effect of my Battle Fader be chained to the activation of my Trifortressops's Quick Effect?

No, because Battle Fader is a Trigger Effect, which is Spell Speed 1, whereas Trifortressops is a Quick Effect, making it Spell Speed 2. You CAN chain Trifortressops to Battle Fader, but not vice versa.

If I control a UA monster, and my opponent controls one monster and Kaiser Colosseum, can I summon another UA using its inherent summon ability, returning the UA monster on my field?

Yes. You're only restricted in the sense that you cannot place more monsters on the Field at any point than your opponent. You may still Tribute a monster for a Tribute Summon, bounce monsters for a Summon procedure/cost, etc. You can still perform a Ritual Summon provided you Tribute the monster(s) on the Field as part of the cost.

But you can't do something like use Advanced Heraldry Art while your opponent controls 1 monster, because that card's effect Summons 2 monsters, then Overlays them.

Read Expansion very closely.

It protects all your Infernoids EXCEPT the one(s) with the highest level. If you only control 1, or 2 with the same Level, NEITHER are protected.

As for Colosseum, it doesn't penalize you if you already control more monsters than your opponent, but you cannot place new monsters on the Field if you'll end up having more than your opponent. If you control 2 monsters and they control 1 when they play Colosseum, you can't Tribute Summon a Level 5 monster because your end result will be 2, which is more than your opponent (even though you had 2 before this).

• 2 weeks later...

So, with Venom swamp, say i use forbidden lance or some other attack lowering card, and it would reduce that monsters attack to 0, will swamp destroy it? Because the venom counter on it would be the thing that reduces to 0... or does that even matter? (Overlooking the rest of lances effect ofc).

This is not a question on an specific effect, but more of a request of an explanation on a clause I noticed in some cards.

What's the point of the "You can activate this effect;" clause/cost/whatever in cards such as Qliphort Cephalodod, Kerykeion, Sombre or Reaper of Prophecy? I mean, isn't it redundant because the effects would work in the same way if they didn't have it?

For instance, let's take the last effect of Kerykeion:

"This turn: You can activate this effect; Normal Summon 1 "lswarm" monster."

Wouldn't it work in the same way if it was "This turn: You can Normal Summon 1 "lswarm" monster." ?

It does make sense in a couple of cards such as Kagemusha of the Six Samurai or Gogogo Talisman by turning them into optional effects that require an activation (and thus are non-Continuous) and making them easier to understand. Or at least I cannot think on a way of re-writing their effects but skipping the above clause, without ending with an awkward description.

In Kerykeion's case, it might be because that effect is listed as something the monster gains. (from the clause "also, this card gains the following effect"). By mentioning that "you can activate this effect", that makes it unambiguous that it is an optional Ignition Effect, rather than a Trigger Effect that activates when it gained that effect. It also is clear that it's not a lingering effect that applies for the turn, it's an Ignition Effect that needs to have been activated, and Normal Summons on resolution.

While you're correct that it seems like a clunky and unnecessary clause to have, it actually seems to be a clarification thing. If Kerykeion was written the way you suggested, in tandem with the "this card gains this effect" part, it wouldn't be clear at a glance how Kerykeion works.

Because it does have that clause, it only gains that effect when the condition is fulfilled, and it's an Ignition Effect that can be activated during the current turn, and Normal Summons at resolution. Very easy to understand, really.

Well, there are other cards that apparently don't need it, such as Qliphort Cephalopod. Anyways, what I wanted to know is if the clause makes effects behave differently than if they didn't have it, or if any additional or different rulings applied on those effects just for carrying that clause, but apparently there isn't any noticeable difference and it is more like PSCT.

Well, there are other cards that apparently don't need it, such as Qliphort Cephalopod. Anyways, what I wanted to know is if the clause makes effects behave differently than if they didn't have it, or if any additional or different rulings applied on those effects just for carrying that clause, but apparently there isn't any noticeable difference and it is more like PSCT.

I think the biggest reason is so that the "you can" is so much earlier in the text, making it that much easier to see that it is optional, rather than having the "you can" shoved into the last bit of the effect. Sort of the reason they changed "Remove XXXXXXX from play" to just plain "Banish XXXXXX"

Someone uses Raigeki Break dropping Graff of the Burning Abyss, I immediately use D.D. Crow and remove it.

Can they use Graff's effect from when it was sent to the Graveyard, even though it isn't in the Graveyard anymore while it's activating?

Does anything change if it's Transmigration Break instead?

Archived