Pokemon Ultra Sun and Ultra Moon

Blake

They changed when it can evolve? Thats good. I guess I can turn off EXP Share when it gets to level 30 and just sit on it. It will suck, but depending on how things play out it could work.

I liked that they changed when it can evolve as well. There's also the fact that you can also catch Vikavolts there as well (lv29-32), granted it's via SOS, but still at least you can get a Bug STAB without the move relearner.

• Replies 869
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I liked that they changed when it can evolve as well. There's also the fact that you can also catch Vikavolts there as well (lv29-32), granted it's via SOS, but still at least you can get a Bug STAB without the move relearner.

In this case I'll turn off the EXP share now. I'm already super over leveled and going at a slower pace should help make sure I'll get Bug Buzz when it evolves.

I've been turning it off/on at times due to not wanting to screw up EV training, because hell knows how long it takes to get Beans to fund the level 3 Evelup (and just train sheet when I have other stuff). Probably will keep it on for the most part; I don't mind being overleveled (rather be this than underleveled, and getting wiped). 

I still hate the split EXP formula from Gen 5, but suppose I'll just have to deal with it in this generation. (Suppose they did provide more competent Trainers though, but we'll see how that works out later.)

Ask Gamefreak why they did that, and I'm still peeved they made most of the 'mons in here slow as sheet. Granted, you could just transfer it over to S/M for a short while, teach the move and stuff, then return it. (This implies you can pull off GTS trade without some kid sniping you, or have Bank).

Yeah, the low speed of Gen VII Pokemon is the only thing that's keeping me from using an all-Gen VII team this time around. Also, regarding your GTS sniping issue, you should probably do reverse GTS'ing - as in putting up a crap mon asking for the one you're trying to trade over; it's never worth it to put the mon you want to trade on the GTS, since it gets sniped so easily.

Yeah, that tends to work. 

But that being said, I had certain plans for using more Alola 'mons; right now, that's limited to basically Lycanroc and my starter. I only added the Totem Marowak because I needed a Fire type (and I got lucky with getting a Thick Club off random Cubone I caught). Once I can get further into the game, will likely modify my current team's composition (idk, maybe swap Kangaskhan out for something else; only using it because I don't have any other viable 'mons.)

Well I just caught an Adamant Stufful to use as my 5th team member. I wanted to use Alola mons for at least half my team, but I don't know if that's still in my best interests, since the ones I'd like to use I've already used before and I wanted to play through without reusing my Moon playthrough team members. I would've liked to use Lurantis, but it's too slow (I've already got quite a few slow team members already), and more importantly, I don't need another Grass-type.

On another note, the lack of Exp. Share is really starting to take its toll on me, since I'm definitely underleveled considering where I am in game (post-Kiawe) - I guess I'm in for a long grinding session in the near future. Right now my team consists of:

• Stufful (Teddy), Lv.20 - Adamant

• Flaaffy (TooFabulous♥ - yes, the heart is actually there), Lv.21 - Quiet

• Noibat (Andrea - nicknamed after my friend who got the game for me as a birthday present), Lv.21 - Hasty

• Milotic (Venus), Lv.22 - Modest

• Dartrix (Shpook), Lv.24 - Naive

[spoiler=(Team I'm using to smash Guzma's face in)]

Espeon (* Stardust * [actually stars, not asterisk]) - Level 49 - Quirky nature (meh, I'll deal with it for in-game purposes)

Lycanroc-Dusk (Cinnamon) - Level 47 - Bashful (this is the event one; I plan to breed a Jolly one later if I can go farm Everstones from S/M)

Primarina (Ashimaru [yes, I got lazy]) - Level 46 - Lonely (Meh, will import my Modest ones from Sun later with egg moves and perfect IVs)

Growlithe (Asuka) - Level 41-42 - Adamant (I will evolve this to Arcanine as soon as it hits level 45 and learns Flare Blitz)

Kangaskhan (Kagari) - Level 42 - Lonely (In-game purposes)

Marowak-Totem (no name atm, but likely something in Samoan because of fire dancer thing) - Level 42 - Adamant

(To be honest, I did send Espeon and Primarina over to Sun for some EV / level grinding [about 30 minutes], so...they jumped a few levels and got trained before I beat Hau in Malie City.)

So yeah, mostly quick 'mons and will likely change later. Should be alright for the time being; I do plan on adding the box legends to team when I get to them. (Also would like to try keep the number of Slow EXP 'mons to maybe 1-2 because of the formula in this game.)

While fighting the Totom Marowak I was just mashing A so when the partner Pokemon came in I hit it instead of the Marowak. I could have won, but since I'm not going to have any of my Pokemon faint I reset. I then answer right when trying to answer wrong and in a bid to recreate the first try reset again. And then I got detected and tormented. This time I took out the Totom thinking it would auto end the battle and then fainted. No fainting this is annoying. GAH!!!

I really should have just gone the extra 2 levels for Grimer and Knocked Offed the Totom. Stupid Vikavolt.....

Poison Touch finally triggered and the fight became a million times easier. However I almost lost AGAIN because of a crit. However the Refresh bonus kicked in and Kitty held on. Part of me doesn't want to take that win because of Refresh, but I'm already using the EXP bonus from it so w/e. Plus, it wasn't an issue of "could I win". My Torracat was faster than the Marowak and I have a max revive so I could have easily won if I let a Pokemon faint.

Since I know the next totem is the same, I'll comment on the two changes. I really like the twist for the Water one. The Wishiwashi Totom was EVERYWHERE in the marketing and I liked how they played with it. I feel like the Fire trial was a lot weaker. Maybe it was because I knew it was coming, but the Hiker wasn't as funny (though I did enjoy his pose in the 3rd set) and totem showing up at the end wasn't NEARLY as funny.

Anyway, that pretty but time to get my next team member. Part atm

Vikviper, the Sassy Charjabug: 25

Petrol, the Gentle Grimer: 27

Undertaker, the Naughty Torracat: 29

Edit: I've now been joined by Teddy, the Lax Stufful: 18.

So I've had some pretty insane luck today.

[spoiler=Minor Spoilers for Legendary Pokemon]

First, I go up to Mahalo Trail and Lillie tells me to fight Lunala. K.

First off I think "Why not toss a Quick Ball? Never know if it might work."

Bada-boom, first Quick Ball and Lunala's mine. Awesome!

Nickname it Nebby, of course, and I continue.

I was surprised to see Necrozma on Victory Road/Mount Lanakila, but nevertheless I went to battle it.

Seeing as the Quick Ball worked for Lunala, I tried the same for Necrozma.

CRITICAL CAPTURE. One shake and this fearsome beast is mine.

I nickname it Critical, and yeah. It's mine now. Too good, really.

On a side note, I also just beat the game. The credits are pretty nice, and the animated sprites of the Totem Pokemon are hella cute.

I also like that the credits set up the appearance of another Legendary. Very cool stuff.

Great minds think alike? :3

...or maybe we're too stereotypical

Both. Lets say both. Nicknaming Pokemon is one of the hardest things for me. I love adding that little personal touch, but I'm no where near creative enough for the vast majority of Pokemon. Like, my name for my A-Ninetales when I catch it is Yukibi, which literally means Snow Tail. My name for normal Ninetails is Kitsune. I do have good ones (a personal favorite is Kerokage) but names are hard yo.

Well, after thinking about it for a while, I decided to go back to Wela Volcano Park to pick up a Cubone to use as my last team member. Ended up getting a Brave one which I named "Bob" (it was a female :p). Would've preferred an Adamant one, but I was too lazy to keep going at it, and since Marowak is fiendishly slow anyways, I thought it wouldn't really matter in the long run; also, this one has decent IVs with 4 stats above 20.

I'm gonna go ahead an *attempt* Mallow's trial, now that I have a full (albeit underleveled) team:

Dartrix Lv.25

Cubone Lv.22
Flaaffy Lv.22

Stufful Lv.23

Noibat Lv.23

Milotic Lv.24

I would probably advise getting a Fire 'mon and maybe swapping out stuff (and god forbid Solar Blade + Sunny Day spam). Dartrix should be alright if you have a Flying move on it and all. Or you can try to evolve that Cubone to 28 at night, and then you'll have Flame Charge to work with. 

(You can control up to level 35, so that much helps you.)

====

Just be wary of that Comfey spamming recovery moves. 

(You can control up to level 35, so that much helps you.)

I think Pokemon that you catch yourself obey you regardless of level; the level restriction only applies to traded Pokemon, if I remember correctly.

As much as I would like to evolve Cubone, I'm out of trainers to grind against and I don't want to be fighting wild Pokemon for hours, so I think I'll be relying on Dartrix and Pluck/Supersonic Skystrike for now; luckily it doubly resists Solar Blade. I think I'll try using an X Attack on turn one to double its ATK to ensure that I can OHKO it.

I'm currently grinding for the postgame Team Rainbow Rocket plot. The Ultra Wormhole seems to actually be a pretty good place for grinding giving you level 60 fully-evolved or Legendary Pokemon, or Ultra Beasts of said level. Ultra Forest also gives you 2 trainers with Level 48 Kartana to fight in addition to the wild one you can catch there. And to top it off, you get a fun minigame on your way there.

I haven't gotten to that part yet, but trying to figure out what nature should I get on Necrozma; well, taking into account its Ultra form and all. I can probably do one as a physical attacking version, and the other Special oriented to make use of its Dragon typing, though Smogon isn't really helping much. 

(I have Ultra Moon as well, but haven't opened the cartridge yet. Will do that one maybe tomorrow)

I'd bring over the ones I have in S/M, but one of them is Modest whereas other is Bold, so...can't do much with those. 

====

At present, just trying to catch Nebby in US (will think of a new name for it, because I'm not keeping that nickname).

Operation OHKO Lurantis was a success. Everything went according to plan, luckily, so I didn't have to deal with the stupid Comfey. Now off to Diglett's Cave and Olivia, who I should be okay with, since 4 of my team members can deal with Rock-types.

I did the same thing. I just nuked it with the Fire Z move. Honestly, the hardest of the lot is the Water trial since you don't have a Z-Move to just nuke the opponent.

I used Flaaffy and Shock Wave with an X Special Attack to deal with Araquanid if I remember correctly. That being said, it gave me the hardest time of the three by far, since I OHKO'ed Marowak and Lurantis with Milotic and Dartrix respectively (with the use of Water and Flying Z-moves)

Up to this point, everything has been more difficult for me than S/M was (barring Totem Lurantis, which gave me nightmares in Moon since I didn't have any counters to it and had no super-effective Z-move that I could use - I had Brionne, Rockruff, and Charjabug - which didn't have anything that could significantly damage it at the time).

2nd Grand Trial down. Z-Moves make bosses a lot easier. Though I had a little problem at the start since I wanted to double up my money and had my fire type do it.

Team atm

Vikviper the Sassy Charjabug: 28

Petrol the Gentle Grimer: 29

Teddy the Lax Bewear: 30

Undertaker the Naughty Torracat: 32

Not using EXP Share and making sure Charjabug doesn't hit level 31 has made this A LOT harder then it would have been otherwise. Next up, finding a name for Sandygast since I'm about to get team member 5.

Archived