Pokemon X and Pokemon Y

Tentacruel

• Replies 5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

[quote name='Fusion X. Denver' timestamp='1357677900' post='6115437']
Some people say Pokemon's running its course and it's a bunch of rehashing, but I'm thinking there's still a bright future ahead for the game.
[/quote]

Well, they kinda do. They are starting to rip off old Pokémon (Purrloin, being a rip off of Glameow, which kinda is a rip off of Meowth). But yeah, if the next games are done well, there is no stopping this franchise.

[quote name='Cloister' timestamp='1357678636' post='6115449']
Well, they kinda do. They are starting to rip off old Pokémon (Purrloin, being a rip off of Glameow, which kinda is a rip off of Meowth). But yeah, if the next games are done well, there is no stopping this franchise.
[/quote]
Uh, no. Making another cat is not "ripping off" an older cat, especially when Purrloin's supposed to represent American breeds, whereas Meowth is a Maneki Neko.

At that, please tell me you're not going to use "uncreative new Pokemon" as a reason for that.

[quote name='Josh Black' timestamp='1357678837' post='6115451']
Uh, no. Making another cat is not "ripping off" an older cat, especially when Purrloin's supposed to represent American breeds, whereas Meowth is a Maneki Neko.

At that, please tell me you're not going to use "uncreative new Pokemon" as a reason for that.
[/quote]

Well, I'm not actually against that fact, but there is a trend starting. (Unoriginal, not uncreative).

I mean, where is the lion, the tiger or rhino? Or komodo dragon? Instead they choose another cat that looks VERY similar.

I just think they should base the Pokémon on more animals than just different versions of the same species. I know lions and tigers are cats too, but I hope you get the point.

And I think they went WAY overboard with Klingklang and the stupid ice cream Pokémon. I mean seriously, they look horrible. And that's why I love the older games, even though they are not always based on the nature, they did have a certain appeal and felt natural, whereas some new ones, don't.

[quote name='Zaziuma' timestamp='1357679094' post='6115457']
Then you can say that lions are ripoffs of cats as well, they got over 600 pokemon, they can't keep on making them original, I mean look at Gen 6, there are some dumb looking pokemon.
[/quote]

We've only seen 5 Pokemon from Gen VI, no need to be harsh.

And if you're on about dumb looking Pokemon, have you seen Red/Blue?

I'll say it as many times as it takes, comparatively each gen has their fair share of awesome pokemon and dumb pokemon. Trying to say one gen is worse than another as far as pokemon design goes is silly.

[quote name='Cloister' timestamp='1357679342' post='6115461']
Well, I'm not actually against that fact, but there is a trend starting. (Unoriginal, not uncreative).
I mean, where is the lion, the tiger or rhino? Or komodo dragon? Instead they choose another cat that looks VERY similar.
I just think they should base the Pokémon on more animals than just different versions of the same species. I know lions and tigers are cats too, but I hope you get the point.
And I think they went WAY overboard with Klingklang and the stupid ice cream Pokémon. I mean seriously, they look horrible. And that's why I love the older games, even though they are not always based on the nature, they did have a certain appeal and felt natural, whereas some new ones, don't.
[/quote]

Because it was a different setting. You have Unova, which is probably the most metropolitan Pokémon game. You expect metropolitan pokémon, and even if it's not accurate, it has the best aesthetic appeal than placing in out-of-place pokémon.

I surely must be missing something, because Meowth and Purrloin hardly look alike outside of the fact that they are both feline .-. Not to mention it turns into a leopard. If you wish for big cats, there we go.

Well, I'm not actually against that fact, but there is a trend starting. (Unoriginalty, not uncreative).

[/quote]
So... looking remotely similar, and evolving into a black jaguar/leopard is unoriginal? And how does Purugly fit into this? And we already have a rhino, and we have a ton of lizards.

[/quote]
So having 3 cats is too much? Yet you don't complain that we have a Kyuubi line, a Kitsune line, a fennec, and a fox? This doesn't really make much sense to me, and I don't see what's wrogn with having 4 foxes as long as they each represent something different.

And I think they went WAY overboard with Klingklang the stupid ice cream Pokémon. I mean seriously, they look horrible. And that's why I love the older games, even though they are not always based on the nature, they did have a certain appeal and felt natural, whereas some new ones, don't.
[/quote]
How do they look awful? Look absolutely fine to me. At least they're not a pile of sludge or an electric coil, both of which are the pinnacle of originality. They both felt fine and natural, at least more than a forced pile of sludge and a living coil. If anything, the coil makes Klink line feel LESS forced.

The old games are just as "unoriginal" as the new ones. Don't fool yourself.

Well see, people have this stupid idea that if it's not the original, regardless of what franchise, it automatically sucks just because it wasn't the first one.

[spoiler=All this is doing is proving this picture right.][img]http://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-snc6/734913_471658012869371_392843934_n.png[/img][/spoiler]

inb4 3rd version *isnt* Z
But uh...the starters don't really inspire me. Maybe I'll do what I did in White and just not use them (Unless the final evos produce one I like).
Definitely getting the one with the bird, though(Y?). The deer...looks a bit silly to me.

Well, it's my oppinion, and I think they look horrible. There are a lot of great Gen V Pokémon too, I'm not denying that, but I think Gen V simply isn't as good as Gen I - IV. That's it. Pokémon design, the 3D aspect was done quite poorly imo, and just overall, everything wasn't as good as the previous Gens. Gen 3 is my favorite, followed by the first one.

And I'm not fooling myself.

[quote name='Missingno.' timestamp='1357680037' post='6115471']
inb4 3rd version *isnt* Z
But uh...the starters don't really inspire me. Maybe I'll do what I did in White and just not use them (Unless the final evos produce one I like).
Definitely getting the one with the bird, though(Y?). The deer...looks a bit silly to me.
[/quote]
It's probably gonna be sequels again.

It's Chromosome based, so Z wouldn't make any sense. We could have XY version, though.

The ice cream cone Pokemon is a huge fucking embarrassment.

Then again, so is the ball (Voltorb/Electrode), the deformed scrotum thing (Weezing) and the pile of goo (Muk, Grimer, Ditto). All Gens have their fair share of stupid looking Pokemon, but I guess it's kind of just... they should have learned their lesson from the first few times. =\

[spoiler=I have no idea why I made this]
[img]http://i.imgur.com/lDGq8.gif[/img][/spoiler]

[quote name='Hatcher' timestamp='1357680158' post='6115474']
Then again, so is the ball (Voltorb/Electrode)-[/quote]
WRONG~
Gen 1 was all science/genetics.
The starters are dinosaurs/reptiles/hybrids
Fossil revival started in this gen
Ditto is a failed Mew
Eevee's DNA is unstable
Voltorb/Electrode was a Pokeball experiment
etc

[url=http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=507383]Jynx, Mr. Mime, Magneton, Dugtrio, and Exeggutor.[/url] I may love Dugtrio, but the "stick them together" evolutions are lazy. The reason I like Magnezone is because he feels like a true fusion of the three Magnemite that from Magneton. Yes, you heard me. A fourth generation evolution was [i]better[/i] than its first generation form.

Archived