Star Wars: Episode VII

Tentacruel

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It has a lot of new footage, a lot more that looks like a coherant story to the film (Thus why the spoiler). It's still in english, it just has Jap subtitles. 

It's... okay. I'm suddenly less confident in the female lead as a result. 

Hmm could like be the big bad? Who else could have Vader's helmet?

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Went and saw the movie just now. I kinda liked it a lot, and I didn't expect that. The two leads were a lot more likable than I ever expected, especially Finn, who I originally thought was just included for the sake of appealing to minorities. He's captured my heart pretty much from his first line, where he says he's doing it for the right thing. And the female lead's pretty hot. And again, felt fitting for the lead role.

[spoiler=the villain though...]Kylo Ren is just a disappointing villain who didn't have anywhere near the charisma or presence Vader did. The fact that he, the main villain, is the son of Han and Leia just makes him feel like some badly written fanfiction character. His conflict between the light and the dark side of the Force is in theory fascinating, but was pretty underwhelming because his immediately more important trait is being Han's son, and that's just weird. That might've been easier to accept if he's been developed over time to become darkened so that we are more familiar with who he is as 'Han Solo's son' instead of 'the next Darth Vader', but when his premise is initially presented as the latter, I can't really accept his character.

I don't mind Han being killed this early on(he didn't deserve it after all he's been through) but I do mind that Kylo Ren's killed his father so early on. I just don't sympathize with the father-son relationship they have because it just isn't shown enough. Han dying was tragic, sad, but 'Ben' killing his dad wasn't, if that makes any sense.

He rages more easily than Vader does(although I might be misremembering that) and lacks the class Vader has, and he quickly loses his mystery aspect when his identity is revealed pretty early on, and his light saber is stupid, and his mask  looks stupid, he's just a very disappointingly unremarkable villain. He totally survived that though and in the future he may be developed better, but as is I feel he's the biggest weak point of this film.

Writing aside, there's a whole lot I loved about the movie. The cheesy scene transition effects that no other movie would use in this modern day felt so damn nostalgic. The screen wipes, the mist fade, and I've probably forgotten others, but it felt really nostalgic. And the opening sequence, with the same theme song and summary roll that I forgot was a thing, made me excited like a little kid again. The soundtrack was amazingly nostalgic as well, and I recognized that main leitmotif I totally forgot because I haven't seen a Star Wars movie since forever.

There's a lot I want to say about the film, I'm feeling really excited for the next one, but I'm not really sure how to word it. Either way, Star Wars Episode VII, pretty great movie all around. The Martian already takes my spot for movie of the year but damn I had to really think whether I preferred this one or not.

And the new robot is cute as funk, holy sheet. BB8 is robotfu of the year.

I super enjoyed the movie, and I thought it was really great. I wait for the next one with bated breath.

[spoiler=Obligatory spoilers.]I can't say I had any major complaints about the story or writing. I like that they're basically continuing the fight between the Republic and the Empire (now the First Order but still mostly the same), though I wish there were more politics in this like some of the other movies had.

When it comes to Kylo Ren, he's sort of whiny like Anakin was in the prequels, but I don't feel the same sort of dislike for Kylo Ren that I did for Anakin, I feel like I understand why his character is the way he is and I'm completely fine with him. He's sort of incompetent, but I think he's only going up from here, and he's probably the one character I'm most excited to see what happens to him. I also liked how he was ruled by his anger, that one scene where he got pissed and busted up all those consoles was cool. As far as his actor, he's not the most attractive looking guy but I have no qualms with who they picked for him.

My favorite part of the movie was the beginning part in the village. One part I really liked was how it showed off Finn and how he was in over his head with his first fight with him being shaken up by the stormtrooper dying in his arms and him refusing to shoot the villagers. I also enjoyed how Finn's character was sort of the sheltered soldier and was kinda socially awkward with things.

A couple complaints are about filming options and don't really hurt the film itself, the one scene where Kylo Ren was trying to get the map from Rey lasted a bit too long, maybe 10-20 seconds too long. The end scene with Luke Skywalker (who looks really awesome, Mark Hamill really cleaned up, the hair and beard look nice and he's lost a lot of weight) to a lesser extent as well. And while there was a bit of a lack of backstory and exposition for some things, the way things are set up right now the second movie looks ripe to have all of that, and if that's the way they do it it'll be fantastic. But if the second movie still ends off with a lot of explaining to do, then I'll complain.

Overall, 8/10, will almost certainly watch again.

Saw it, and loved every minute of it. I don't know much about  JJ Abram, or at least enough to know what to expect, but despite who he is or what he's known for I went in with an open mind and, as much as I want to say I expected it to be the best thing ever, thinking that right out of the gate would've set me up for a pretty underwhelming experience, so I withdrew that mindset and said I'd try to love it because, let's face it... it's funking STAR WARS.

[spoiler=my thoughts]I'm in agreement with some if not most about Kylo Ren being such an underwhelming villain, but he was certainly not disappointing, I'll give him that much. In fact, despite his emotional fragility and pitiful inferiority complex with Snok and Vader, he holds a pretty interesting vibe that's like Darth Maul: He's known primarily for being an apprentice, he's powerful enough with the force to be a major threat, and, yes, you guessed it, his weapon is funking badass. So all the traits are there, and while a lot of people never cared for Maul in the prequels if there was anything to like about them to begin with, Ren had everything Maul had that would've made the latter MUCH better of a character, or at least relative to all that I know of the movies.

Now let's discuss Finn... not gonna lie, that moment where he supposedly lost a loved one or something was pretty quick on the draw as far as a reason to rebel against everything he's become. Nonetheless, he was probably the most interesting character in the movie. I mean, who would expect a funking STORM TROOPER wielding a lightsaber and actually USING IT WELL?? That being said, his knowledge of the First Order and their plans was a great plot device if not the only key to any major victory for the Resistance. Plus he's hilarious, no doubt.

Rey, on the other hand, while not being the most interesting character and the least aforementioned savior of the galaxy I've ever seen, was pretty cool to watch too. They could've hinted that she knew the force earlier and developed that a bit better, but nonetheless if there was anyone who could've done it eventually, I knew it would be her. Another thing I'd like to know is her past, cause she had to have gotten that ability from somewhere, so the next movie is due for an explanation unless I've missed it for some reason because let's face it, every Easter egg in the movie was noticed and appreciated.

BB18 was funking adorable. R2D2 needs to step up its game.

Leia and Solo's relationship was pretty heartwarming, as expected despite all that's happened. Though, was I the only one who had a feeling they'd kill off Han? For some reason I just knew it would happen merely for shock factor and, seeing how it happened, everything leading up to it was a no-brainer.

To top it all off, after nerdgasming over the original cast making their outstanding comeback, Mark Hamill appearing in the end was the PERFECT way to leave it hanging. If the hype from before wasn't enough, I have enough reason to believe so now.

The next movie cannot come soon enough!

6TH UPDATE, Friday,9:48 PM: Refresh for updates It is past midnight in New York and off those figures non-Disney analysts currently see Star Wars: The Force Awakens with an opening day record of $123M en route for an all-time opening of $244.8M. These figures could be completely revised in the next 3 hours once calculations are made off midnight west coast cumes, so stay tuned. To putForce Awakens opening in perspective, consider the following: Disney made $100M from the film in just 21 hours at 1PM PST; an amount that most successful tentpoles open to in a 3-day weekend. By Sunday, Force Awakens will be $11M-$14M short of beating the entire domestic runs of the last two Hobbits which were released in December— The Desolation of Smaug ($258.4M) and The Battle of Five Armies ($255.1M). Jurassic World grossed $244M in five days. Domestic all-time grosser Avatar which was opened during this frame back in 2009 to $77M before finaling its stateside cume at $749.8M, took 29 days to clear $244M. However, that was during the pre-historic days of digital and 3D cinema. When Avatar opened there were 3,100 RealD screens in the U.S./Canada, now there are 14,000 with the vast majority of them playing Force Awakens. 

Currently, Saturday is expected to fall 45% from Friday, the steep fall being attributed to the fact that the Thursday preview figure of $57M is counted in the first day’s gross. How much Saturday eases hinges on how much walk-up business Force Awakens gets. As of 5:30PM tonight at one suburban L.A. Regal multiplex, there were only 10PM shows left for those walking up. All prior shows sold out.

RELEASE DATE PREVIEW B.O. OPENING DAY B.O.

1 Star Wars: The Force Awakens Dec. 18, 2015 $57M $125-130M Est.

2 Harry Potter & The Deathly Hallows Pt. 2 July 15, 2011 $43.5M $91.1M

3 The Avengers: Age Of Ultron May 1, 2015 $27.6M $84.4M

4 Jurassic World June 12, 2015 $18.5M $82M

5 The Avengers May 4, 2012 $18.7M $80.8M

Archived