Pokemon Sun & Moon

Tinkerer

If we have the ability capsule in S&M it wouldn't matter. Though some people ban OHKO moves so it isn't that BIG of a deal.

I know, I thought I wanted to point out anyway.

The difference between Water Pulse and Bubblebeam is REALLY nearly zero. The moves have such low base power that they just aren't worth it.

I know, I was just saying, though the last part kinda makes me feel if it was even worth posting in the first place.

• Replies 4.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I will say this though, the transference of some pokemon from the gen 1 games are going to be somewhat interesting;

For example Machamp w/ Fissure especially if it comes to S&M with No Guard

then there's Articuno with Bubblebeam, the strongest Water-type move it can learn

No Guard doesn't work with OHKO moves.

That's not too hard tbh. It's been years since X/Y came out and I still know very, very little about the region or the game. I vaguely recall how the starters look like, and the cover legendaries, and not much else.

Like Flame Dragon said, it might be a bit difficult for me since I follow some people and blogs on Twitter/Tumblr that posts pokemon news. Plus, I tend to follow the news pretty closely myself, so I would have to cut myself completely off for the year. I think I can do it, but the question becomes can I bear to not look anything up for the year.

I'm excited to see what second types the starters will be, if they even get a second type upon evolution. I saw someone saying they would like a Fire/Poison snake, and I like the sound of that. I just hope to see type combinations that haven't been done yet for the starters.

Grass | Fairy could work as it'd still be beaten by fire.

It'd probably be balls with a x4 weakness to poison, but poison is still kind of a crappy offensive typing.

Then we could get a Water | Fighting and a Fire | Steel for starters.

Which is about the only cycle I can think of that doesn't give us repeat starter typing (god knows no one wants fire/fighting again) or an unfair matchup (Fire/Fairy could get at water/fighting, but grass/steel would get bodied no matter what.)

Of course it's more than a cycle just doesn't happen like it did last gen.

I know, I thought I wanted to point out anyway.

I know, I was just saying, though the last part kinda makes me feel if it was even worth posting in the first place.

No, I totally get why people want to speculate at the kind of things adding Gen 1 moves to Gen 7 could cause. I just contend that most suck and even those that don't, losing out on Egg Moves and possibly a Hidden Ability doesn't make it worth it.

Maybe the first starter is a Grass/Flying type Peacock Pokemon.

I feel like I've seen a BUNCH of fan made pokemon like that.

Grass/Fairy, Fire/Fairy or Water/Fairy?

I personally would enjoy a Fire/Fairy. We already have the other two and the type combo would be really good 7 resistances, 1 immunity, 4 weaknesses, and your STAB hits 7 types for x2 damage and only 1 resists it.

Of course it's more than a cycle just doesn't happen like it did last gen.

We have two different cycles they could do. One where the second type beats the others second type (something similar to Gen 4) or one where they double up (like Gen 6). I personally would want to see something like Gen 4.

I probably wouldn't mind either cycle (if the final forms are indeed dual-Typed), but if I had a choice, maybe Gen 4 stuff. 

Fire/Fairy would be cool though, however it ends up looking. The other two combos exist in Azumarill and Whimsciott, but pretty much because their types were retconned when they moved to Kalos. Would be cool to see Pokemon that actually started as those types from the beginning. 

https://sites.google.com/site/pokemonalphaomegaversions/pokemon/legendary-pokemon

I could only wish these would be the actual legendaries for Sun/Moon (suppose someone else was going to make a fake region with these titles, and a few years later, Nintendo decides to trademark the name for its own stuff). But yeah, triple typing will be awkward (oh wait, it is technically possible with Trick or Treat). And yeah, assume Cosmic is something else that actually exists. 

No, I totally get why people want to speculate at the kind of things adding Gen 1 moves to Gen 7 could cause. I just contend that most suck and even those that don't, losing out on Egg Moves and possibly a Hidden Ability doesn't make it worth it.

I get what you mean, because a lot of those moves on gen 1 pokemon coming to gen 7 just aren't worth it (another such example I saw being Poliwrath w/ Fissure + Mind Reader).

what i would want with starters is that keep the flavor while also breaking the flavor.

make the basic type of starters diff than fire, water and grass, like (electric, rock, steel or any thing except the main 3) for variety

and then to maintain the scheme, with their final evolution, give them the 3 starter type like :

electric type --> electric/fire

rock --> rock/grass

steel --> steel/water

like that, keeping the theme as final extra type, would be interesting.

That's incorrect. Whilst it's true that no pokemon with No Guard can learn OHKO moves themselves, but No Guard affects the accuracy of the opponent as well.

*Reads Bulbapedia article*

Damn, you're right. What were my "sources" thinking?

But I wouldn't be surprised if they decided to change that in Sun & Moon should Fissure Machamp become available. The idea of Pokémon spamming an 100% accuracy OHKO move gratuitously irks me.

what i would want with starters is that keep the flavor while also breaking the flavor.

make the basic type of starters diff than fire, water and grass, like (electric, rock, steel or any thing except the main 3) for variety

and then to maintain the scheme, with their final evolution, give them the 3 starter type like :

electric type --> electric/fire

rock --> rock/grass

steel --> steel/water

like that, keeping the theme as final extra type, would be interesting.

I don't think that they will ever change the starters' typing, no matter how insistent some fans might be. You see, Grass, Fire and Water is literally the only combination where every type contemplated is guaranteed to be SE AND resistant (but not completely immune) to another. That serves not only for balance purposes, but also to teach newcomers, specially younger children, about type match-ups. They're already an essential part of the series' workings.

*Reads Bulbapedia's article*

Damn, you're right. What were my "sources" thinking?

But I wouldn't be surprised if they changed that in Sun & Moon should Fissure Machamp become available. The idea of a Pokémon spamming a 100% OHKO move gratuitously irks me

Chances are it wouldn't have the blue pentagon so you wouldn't be able to use it for official competitions anyway.

I don't think that they will ever change the starters' typing, no matter how insistent some fans might be. You see, Grass, Fire and Water is literally the only combination where every type contemplated is guaranteed to be SE AND resistant (but not completely immune) to another. That serves not only for balance purposes, but also to teach newcomers, specially younger children, about type match-ups. They're already an essential part of the series' workings.

it is not the only one guaranteed, by any means.

Ice - Ground - Rock

Ice - Ground - Fire

Ice - Ground - Steel

Ice - Grass - Rock

Ice - Flying - Fighting

Rock - Fighting - Flying

Rock - Fire - Steel

Grass - Rock - Bug

Grass - Rock - Flying

Grass - Rock - Fire

Grass - Ground - Poison

Fairy - Fighting - Steel

(May have missed a few)

Not all of these resist back, but some do. See bold.

Then there's also:

Dark - Psychic - Fighting

Electric - Water - Ground

Which are similar, but have a resistance in place of one NVE.

I mean, I agree that they won't change it, but the point remains.

I feel like I've seen a BUNCH of fan made pokemon like that.

I personally would enjoy a Fire/Fairy. We already have the other two and the type combo would be really good 7 resistances, 1 immunity, 4 weaknesses, and your STAB hits 7 types for x2 damage and only 1 resists it.

We have two different cycles they could do. One where the second type beats the others second type (something similar to Gen 4) or one where they double up (like Gen 6). I personally would want to see something like Gen 4.

I'm glad we could agree on a Fire/Fairy starter. We do need more Fairy types.

And how's "Team Eclipse" sound for the villainous team? Depending on the version, they can either go for the Sun Legendary to make it eternal daytime and roast everyone on the planet or eternal night so the planet will freeze.

Archived