• Replies 4.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If they wanted to be cool...

Fully evolved starters are:

Fire/Flying

Water/Fighting

Grass/Rock

And then they all learn the same new move that swaps secondary types with whatever the attack hits.

I was thinking that Grass/Rock would be a crappy combo since those two types have a lot of weaknesses, but turns out the combo only has 4.

I guess I wouldn't object to those. It would just suck for the fire flier to be doubly weak against the grass rock, but Swampert was a thing.

We have enough Fire/Flying types. Want variety? Fire/Fairy for a final fire starter. That's unique.

We have...one line, where only two are Fire/Flying, one final evolution, and one legend. That's hardly any, honestly.

Also I still have the feeling Sun Legend will be Fire/Fairy.

Anyway I really wanna see how a Water/Fighting would turn out.

You're probably forgetting that another legendary is Fire/Flying; either Moltres or Ho-oh (don't know which one you forgot). But yeah, only Talonflame/Fletchinder, Charizard along with those two are Fire/Flying. 5 out of 721 current Pokes is not that much (and 1 or 2 more aren't going to push them over the top).

Now, if you were to say Fire/Fighting, then yeah 3/6 final evo lines for that is already enough (Blaziken, Infernape and Emboar).

I would assume the Water/Fighting starter (if any) would probably be some bipedal thing (or they rip off Keldeo to some extent for quadruped stuff). We really only have Poliwrath/Keldeo for that typing, so they can more/less get creative with things at this point; whether they end up being potential starters or other stuff.

----

For religion stuff, Hawai'i doesn't have a sun deity (least as far as I know); though there exist a few in other Pacific cultures (as Black mentioned, mostly in the south Pacific). We have 2 for the moon [Hina / Lona], but as far as hierarchy goes for them, I am unsure on that (either on ours / that of the Pacific region as a whole).

Well with this, it might work in a new way...

Mixture of both Hawaii and Japan. Idek but it sounds like a theory that could work

Well, Hawaii DOES have a substantial amount of Japanese immigrant population...

For religion stuff, Hawai'i doesn't have a sun deity (least as far as I know); though there exist a few in other Pacific cultures (as Black mentioned, mostly in the south Pacific). We have 2 for the moon [Hina / Lona], but as far as hierarchy goes for them, I am unsure on that (either on ours / that of the Pacific region as a whole).

Unova, based on New York, has cover legendaries based on Taoist concepts and Kalos, on Nordic Mythology, so even if the new region is based on Hawaii, it's not guaranteed its mascots will be (exclusively) based on local myths.

Well, I liked the archipelago thing they did in Pokemon Ranger, so I think that could be fun here, though we'd probably get a lot of the same complaints we got for Hoenn. "Too much water!"

Depends on how we get around. If they have bridges or boats to take us across some of the islands it won't be as big an issue.

Bridges would be nice though, if there is going to be a ton of water. But that in mind, if you're designing a region based on island nations, large bodies of water are inevitable. I would assume they'll give us some boats in the early run or something. OR/AS at least had Mr. Briney take you places until the fifth gym, then you had to use Surf.

But yeah, people will complain about the large bodies of water (after that outburst about OR/AS or Hoenn in general, I'm tempted not to even bother with IGN any further; least not as much). To be fair, I'm not bothered by the water; world is mostly ocean anyway.

----

[spoiler=About the version mascots / regional mythology]

Even if the version mascots aren't explicitly based on mythology native to the Pacific island nations (if they are, which is heavily likely), at least have some of the game reflect them to an extent. You don't hear about the legends around this part of the world as often as you would with more "mainstream" mythology.

But that's sort of sidetracking at the moment. 

I think it's interesting to note that Sun and Moon are continuing the trend X and Y set where new gens aren't following a color scheme anymore.

That, and these and XY are reddish/bluish colors. That makes 4 of the 7 Pokémon gens that are loosely based off those colors (if you count Red/Blue for Gen 1).

Sun/Moon have three colors each in their logos.

Red/Orange/Gold and Blue/Purple/Silver.

So it seems to be a nod to more than one thing, while also itself.

I don't think I've seen anyone here bring this up.

So, when XY was shown, the Mega Symbol was part of the Japanese logo

xy-jp-logo.jpg

This is the logo for S/M

CcK0K2cWEAA9iIP.png

Thats an interesting crystal. People have compared it to the Burst Hearts from Pokemon ReBURST (the manga). I don't think thats a direction the main games can go (IMO it would be better used in an action game) but I've seen people bring up Ash-Greninja as an example of the reverse happening which could work. The anime hasn't given any clue what Ash-Greninja is and it could totally end up being a preview at what is to come in Gen 7, something they do often in the anime. It likely would function just as a Mega Evolution, but having the Pokemon take on the trainer's appearance would be cool, though I feel it would only work well if customization is left in. In all likelihood that isn't what the crystal will end up being, but I feel like it has a good odds of having SOME tie in with whatever new thing this gen will bring.

Archived