Le Crayon Corner~

Sleepy

Hello old friend! It's wild to think that I started using this website around 14 years ago (if my memory serves me correctly). I remember so many online friends from those days (Envoy of Infinity, Asterr, Arceus, Xing, Nikkiboy, and many others). I'm glad you're keeping the spirit of our old club alive! 

Hopefully I can stop by from time to time. I've started getting into making custom cards again, and eventually I'd like to redo some of my old pictures for a custom archetype I recently go into working on again. I'm designing it in such a way that I can insert it into a past format(s) (my friends and I play past formats irl with stuff like goats, Edison, Dragon Rulers, HAT Format, and more) so that they are constructed in a balanced way for said format, and I won't really need to worry about changing cards out for them all that much. 

Here's some of what I've been working on recently. The pictures are mostly old and vary in quality, but they're all me!: https://www.duelingbook.com/deck?id=9963980

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Brendano Harns said:

Hello old friend! It's wild to think that I started using this website around 14 years ago (if my memory serves me correctly). I remember so many online friends from those days (Envoy of Infinity, Asterr, Arceus, Xing, Nikkiboy, and many others). I'm glad you're keeping the spirit of our old club alive! 

Hopefully I can stop by from time to time. I've started getting into making custom cards again, and eventually I'd like to redo some of my old pictures for a custom archetype I recently go into working on again. I'm designing it in such a way that I can insert it into a past format(s) (my friends and I play past formats irl with stuff like goats, Edison, Dragon Rulers, HAT Format, and more) so that they are constructed in a balanced way for said format, and I won't really need to worry about changing cards out for them all that much. 

Here's some of what I've been working on recently. The pictures are mostly old and vary in quality, but they're all me!: https://www.duelingbook.com/deck?id=9963980

Oh woah!
Welcome back Fuzzie. I didn't need to look up your username or anything, I instantly recognized the last username you had used and for a moment I thought YCM had some time-mixing glitch xD
From the old gang, Saikano is still somewhat around on Facebook, and once in a blue moon I see Aster online too. 
Even the resident kid ARCEUS would be like 24 or 25 today if he was still around lol.
Nikkiboy and NickLD one day stopped posting in their DeviantArt and I haven't known from there ever since. Meanwhile last I saw of you was really through YouTube.

This is an awesome surprise. YCM has gone through so many things over the years you wouldn't believe it XD
I made this art club doing my best trying to correct all my mistakes that caused the old one to collapse. Today the atmosphere is pretty lax. If you have a Discord, I wanna ask you for it too if you don't mind.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Sleepy said:

Oh woah!
Welcome back Fuzzie. I didn't need to look up your username or anything, I instantly recognized the last username you had used and for a moment I thought YCM had some time-mixing glitch xD
From the old gang, Saikano is still somewhat around on Facebook, and once in a blue moon I see Aster online too. 
Even the resident kid ARCEUS would be like 24 or 25 today if he was still around lol.
Nikkiboy and NickLD one day stopped posting in their DeviantArt and I haven't known from there ever since. Meanwhile last I saw of you was really through YouTube.

This is an awesome surprise. YCM has gone through so many things over the years you wouldn't believe it XD
I made this art club doing my best trying to correct all my mistakes that caused the old one to collapse. Today the atmosphere is pretty lax. If you have a Discord, I wanna ask you for it too if you don't mind.

Sure, no problem! It's Brendano Harns#0594

Yeah, I think there were several of us that were pretty young back then. I remember Nick (LD, not Arceus) and I were/are about the same age. I'm nearly 27, so he's somewhere around there. I got rid of facebook (except for messenger) because I wasn't really enjoying it as much and it felt compulsory more than anything.

If it's any conciliation, I don't remember you making any mistakes back in the day, but I know I made plenty myself, haha. I had big dreams of us doing projects together as a group (like the ALD manga), but I definitely was ambitiously overshooting for what I was capable of at the time. 😅

Still, it was fun! I've looked back at ALD memorabilia (aka images I've saved to my computer) from time to time for a nostalgia trip. All our different characters, and the decks we made for them. There was the alternate art project as well. I remember years later seeing a yugituber use Saikano's image of Stratos in a video, and I was so excited, like "hey, I know who made that!" Haha. I used to be able to Google the group name and be met with a wall of those images, but a lot are gone now because the image hosting sites they were on decided to remove them (likely due to age).

Yeah, I remember the site going through a dramatic change right before I more or less left. I was bothered by it at the time (because I was so used to the old mybb format), but I like how it is now - I just have to get a little used to it. At some point it even started deleting old pages. Our original 236-page group still shows up though! 

But yeah I like the more lax atmosphere. Like I said, I've gotten back into custom cards again as a personal project as a supplementary to past formats, but also I missed my old online friends. I'm glad to be back. 🙂

41 minutes ago, Brendano Harns said:

Sure, no problem! It's Brendano Harns#0594

Yeah, I think there were several of us that were pretty young back then. I remember Nick (LD, not Arceus) and I were/are about the same age. I'm nearly 27, so he's somewhere around there. I got rid of facebook (except for messenger) because I wasn't really enjoying it as much and it felt compulsory more than anything.

If it's any conciliation, I don't remember you making any mistakes back in the day, but I know I made plenty myself, haha. I had big dreams of us doing projects together as a group (like the ALD manga), but I definitely was ambitiously overshooting for what I was capable of at the time. 😅

Still, it was fun! I've looked back at ALD memorabilia (aka images I've saved to my computer) from time to time for a nostalgia trip. All our different characters, and the decks we made for them. There was the alternate art project as well. I remember years later seeing a yugituber use Saikano's image of Stratos in a video, and I was so excited, like "hey, I know who made that!" Haha. I used to be able to Google the group name and be met with a wall of those images, but a lot are gone now because the image hosting sites they were on decided to remove them (likely due to age).

Yeah, I remember the site going through a dramatic change right before I more or less left. I was bothered by it at the time (because I was so used to the old mybb format), but I like how it is now - I just have to get a little used to it. At some point it even started deleting old pages. Our original 236-page group still shows up though! 

But yeah I like the more lax atmosphere. Like I said, I've gotten back into custom cards again as a personal project as a supplementary to past formats, but also I missed my old online friends. I'm glad to be back. 🙂

Gotta have to agree a bit:
Facebook DOES suck. It lags pretty badly in mobile and even in my laptop it takes a hot second to load properly. I have an art page there but if I go more than 1 week without posting in it, Facebook will send me messages telling me I haven't posted in a while (like it could tell me what to do). It also doesn't stop telling me I could pay to promote my art whenever I DO post something. Then out of my art page, as a regular member: It doesn't even show me my feed properly. It is like 60% sponsored content "we think you'll like". Sometimes just repeating them again and again. In mobile if I see an article that catches my eye, it is riddled with adds and sometimes it randomly refreshes and sends me back to facebook's main feed for the article to never be seen again. Then when I first made it, I couldn't go back past the recent content on my feed, like my contacts' facebook didn't exist before I made it myself, and instead it went all "want more? get more people m8".... Can't blame you for closing it tbh.

YCM still has some issues like, the spoiler system is objectively worse than how it was back in the MyBB days. IDK how they managed to downgrade stuff like that when they had gotten it right 15 years ago. ***shrugs***
but overall YCM I still enjoy xD

If you don't remember my crappy rules from when I took charge of your club that one time, I'm not gonna remind you of them haha.... Welcome again, and hope to see some art from you. We are currently in the middle of a few other things that keep this club a bit more quiet than it even normally is. 
I'm running a contest for creating a Fusion at the contest section (which ends in 5 days) where the prize is a drawing request from me.
Another of our esteemed members xP Rayfield Lumina, is running a Christmas roleplay event at the General section. Yeah I know what day it is, but still is gonna be fun xD
There's also a card-making project at the TCG section (well, to be honest it'd be better off as a club or at custom cards I think, but it is good that it got posted at the place where it was more likely to get attention xD ) You might like the concept of it so I encourage you to check it out. There's still a bunch of things getting ironed out but the gist is: Community-made/custom-card format. Currently trying to come up with 2 generic base starter decks that can showcase some fun interactions and let us rest from the high ceiling of the IRL game, while fixing core design of some concepts like Tribute Summon to make them a little more functional (for example, Tribute Summoning is sold IRL as a core concept of the game, yet the mechanic only seems to work if you cheat around it, so yeah).

Sent a Discord Invite now. Hope I got the right account xD
I seem to be older than you...... why is everybody younger than me? xD

On 1/23/2022 at 1:25 PM, Sleepy said:

Gotta have to agree a bit:
Facebook DOES suck. It lags pretty badly in mobile and even in my laptop it takes a hot second to load properly. I have an art page there but if I go more than 1 week without posting in it, Facebook will send me messages telling me I haven't posted in a while (like it could tell me what to do). It also doesn't stop telling me I could pay to promote my art whenever I DO post something. Then out of my art page, as a regular member: It doesn't even show me my feed properly. It is like 60% sponsored content "we think you'll like". Sometimes just repeating them again and again. In mobile if I see an article that catches my eye, it is riddled with adds and sometimes it randomly refreshes and sends me back to facebook's main feed for the article to never be seen again. Then when I first made it, I couldn't go back past the recent content on my feed, like my contacts' facebook didn't exist before I made it myself, and instead it went all "want more? get more people m8".... Can't blame you for closing it tbh.

YCM still has some issues like, the spoiler system is objectively worse than how it was back in the MyBB days. IDK how they managed to downgrade stuff like that when they had gotten it right 15 years ago. ***shrugs***
but overall YCM I still enjoy xD

If you don't remember my crappy rules from when I took charge of your club that one time, I'm not gonna remind you of them haha.... Welcome again, and hope to see some art from you. We are currently in the middle of a few other things that keep this club a bit more quiet than it even normally is. 
I'm running a contest for creating a Fusion at the contest section (which ends in 5 days) where the prize is a drawing request from me.
Another of our esteemed members xP Rayfield Lumina, is running a Christmas roleplay event at the General section. Yeah I know what day it is, but still is gonna be fun xD
There's also a card-making project at the TCG section (well, to be honest it'd be better off as a club or at custom cards I think, but it is good that it got posted at the place where it was more likely to get attention xD ) You might like the concept of it so I encourage you to check it out. There's still a bunch of things getting ironed out but the gist is: Community-made/custom-card format. Currently trying to come up with 2 generic base starter decks that can showcase some fun interactions and let us rest from the high ceiling of the IRL game, while fixing core design of some concepts like Tribute Summon to make them a little more functional (for example, Tribute Summoning is sold IRL as a core concept of the game, yet the mechanic only seems to work if you cheat around it, so yeah).

Sent a Discord Invite now. Hope I got the right account xD
I seem to be older than you...... why is everybody younger than me? xD

Yeah I don't mind spending too much time online if I'm actually enjoying it, but facebook just felt like I was having the life sucked out of me

Yeah, I noticed that some people have an extremely long signature here because the spoilers they have set up aren't working correctly haha

I think I was mostly gone by the time I saw your previous remade group, and I don't remember very much about it, but I'm sure you did the best you could! I know I had a hard time when I was "in charge" (so to speak). 

The community-run custom format seems neat! I'll have to look more into it. The addition of attributes and types is interesting - I wonder what a good way to play that online would be? I don't think normal dueling sims like Duelingbook would support custom Attributes

For the project I'm working on (inserting custom decks into old formats), Duelingbook has been really crucial for testing whether what I'm making is actually working the way I intend it to (both balance and consistency-wise). I've recently been testing against Quickdraw Dandy in Edison: https://www.duelingbook.com/replay?id=297390-35829789 

My custom deck usually loses, but that kind of ideal - I don't want to upstage the best deck of any format. Still, the games have been fun and interactive. I definitely couldn't have struck that balance without testing.

As I know you know, I got the invite lol

And as for the age thing, I kind of know what you mean haha. It might just be that people get pulled away from yugioh with other things as time goes on. I used to be one of the younger people at my locals, but now I'm one of the older ones. By far not the oldest, but definitely up there!  

Hmm yeah for the custom format I got mixed feelings on the custom attributes.
If they didn't present any issues I'd be all for it, but places where we could actually test our custom cards aren't gonna allow those thigns. They say they've got a solution up their sleeve so I hope it works xD

I need to learn to post cards the way you did up there, where it opens a sort of deck tab of DuelingBook where I can hover on top of the cards to actually read the details. That's neat.

I have some cards at DuelingBook that are custom and public, if you are curious, just search for "Abysstella" and they should pop up. Though they are made with a bit of a higher power level than the replay you posted. They are not up to speed with modern day meta but they could probably give a good fight to the one from a couple years ago xD

Edited by Sleepy

On 1/24/2022 at 10:40 PM, Sleepy said:

Hmm yeah for the custom format I got mixed feelings on the custom attributes.
If they didn't present any issues I'd be all for it, but places where we could actually test our custom cards aren't gonna allow those thigns. They say they've got a solution up their sleeve so I hope it works xD

I need to learn to post cards the way you did up there, where it opens a sort of deck tab of DuelingBook where I can hover on top of the cards to actually read the details. That's neat.

I have some cards at DuelingBook that are custom and public, if you are curious, just search for "Abysstella" and they should pop up. Though they are made with a bit of a higher power level than the replay you posted. They are not up to speed with modern day meta but they could probably give a good fight to the one from a couple years ago xD

Yeah I'm not sure if I agree with the OP of that project that we are in NEED of new attributes, but I'm all for the fun of the experiment

But yeah, hard to find something to support it

It actually not too complicated to display cards like that, you just have to save them as a deck and then Export Deck->Download Link

Like this I did for Abysstella: https://www.duelingbook.com/deck?id=9984118

I actually started messing around with them a little bit for past format, but I'll message you about that haha

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Brendano Harns said:

Yeah I'm not sure if I agree with the OP of that project that we are in NEED of new attributes, but I'm all for the fun of the experiment

But yeah, hard to find something to support it

It actually not too complicated to display cards like that, you just have to save them as a deck and then Export Deck->Download Link

Like this I did for Abysstella: https://www.duelingbook.com/deck?id=9984118

I actually started messing around with them a little bit for past format, but I'll message you about that haha

While this is a nice reconciliation you got, please take this conversation to Messages. As this doesn't relate in any shape or form to the club. Unless you have a doodle to share. If you want it public, you can do so in Miscellaneous.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, The Nyx Avatar said:

While this is a nice reconciliation you got, please take this conversation to Messages. As this doesn't relate in any shape or form to the club. Unless you have a doodle to share. If you want it public, you can do so in Miscellaneous.

No worries! Apologies for clogging up the airways. I neglected to mention it in my last post here, but we have moved to messages now for things not related to the group directly.

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Don't mind me, I'm here to look, practice and pick some tips up.

Speaking of, what tutorials do you all generally follow when you need to learn a new art skill? Or the basics in general? I follow multiple to see multiple perspectives on how to do any one basic step.

Edited by Jolta

On 3/27/2022 at 5:20 AM, Jolta said:

Don't mind me, I'm here to look, practice and pick some tips up.

Speaking of, what tutorials do you all generally follow when you need to learn a new art skill? Or the basics in general? I follow multiple to see multiple perspectives on how to do any one basic step.

Oh, me? I don't usually follow tutorials. If I happen to come across a neat one online, I give it a shot. Many months ago, I saw this nice tutorial on how to draw tights/stockings.

image.thumb.png.a13c15fa69487deed9dc1792bb2e8f85.png

The result? I drew this:

Pokemon Dark Gym Leader Proto 3.png

• Like 3

On 3/28/2022 at 8:10 PM, The Nyx Avatar said:

Oh, me? I don't usually follow tutorials. If I happen to come across a neat one online, I give it a shot. Many months ago, I saw this nice tutorial on how to draw tights/stockings.

The result? I drew this:

She looks like a pokemon trainer. I wonder if she'd use Fighting/Steel pokemon as her ace. 🤔

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, The Nyx Avatar said:

She is! A Gym Leader, but for Dark as opposed to Fighting or Steel. I tried to capture the art style for her face as much as possible

:7596_key:

Makes sense. She just felt like she'd belonged in a pokemon game.

On 3/28/2022 at 9:10 PM, The Nyx Avatar said:

The result? I drew this:

She reminds me of the entire bad cop stereotype put into a Pokémon trainer, then add a flair of biker energy.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...

S-sooooo I've got some requests pending.... Yes I huh... haven't forgotten or forsaken it, but life has given me a tough time after my last contest sooooo sorry for the delay everybody. I actually have been keeping in my head that I shouldn't draw anything until I take care of those, but months are starting to pile up and I very much need to de-stress in some way.

Here's an unrelated doodle I made. One of my characters for my comic that's a work in progress. Shelly the witch (mother of the purple hair witch you've probably seen me draw a ton).  She travels around the world looking for foreign magic systems. Stuff from other cultures or that are a bit alien to the magic system in my project. That's the context of her testing this watch that is like a power rangers morpher.

uYrchhZ.jpg

• Like 6

• 2 weeks later...

Divjetremula03.png.a2d933c4ca6a1c05597596d784ba8bcb.png

So, I made this artwork for Loleo's contest. As I was saying over there, it's the first time I make something 100% on my PC (also without the aid of a graphic tablet hence why this sucks lol). Nah, I'm kinda proud of it, I know it's not super inventive and it's kinda eww in general (I'm definitely unsure about the rinbow-y thingy but I ended up not deleting it).but damn.. it's... not that bad. I love surrealism, so yeah, some unnerving music entity that you casually meet at desert or something xD

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

It is abstract but not random. Congratulations on the milestone Rayfield. First drawing 100% made digital. 
I think it looks nice. There's a suggestion of an angel but also a potential continuation of the figure to create something else.

• Like 1

On 5/23/2022 at 3:43 PM, Rayfield Lumina said:

Divjetremula03.png.a2d933c4ca6a1c05597596d784ba8bcb.png

So, I made this artwork for Loleo's contest. As I was saying over there, it's the first time I make something 100% on my PC (also without the aid of a graphic tablet hence why this sucks lol). Nah, I'm kinda proud of it, I know it's not super inventive and it's kinda eww in general (I'm definitely unsure about the rinbow-y thingy but I ended up not deleting it).but damn.. it's... not that bad. I love surrealism, so yeah, some unnerving music entity that you casually meet at desert or something xD

This abreact looks beautiful :)

• Like 1