Yu-Gi-Oh! ZeXal Sub/Manga Official Discussion Thread

.Nu-13

• Replies 5.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Apparently Yuma's actually the part of Astral that Astral lost when he fought Don Thousand all those eons ago, which would explain why Yuma's parents said the things they said about him.  Also Astral labelled Number 99 as the apex Number.  I suppose Numeron Dragon doesn't factor into that, since it's the creator entity and all.

The robot family is adorable and confusing and it makes me laugh

Now I'm going to run down a few little thing about ZeXal and see if anyone catches my drift.

Astral is a stoic being, straight from heaven, who learns to be more human as time goes on despite having lots of knowledge and power. Resides in a sacred artifact (granted, Millennium Puzzle did this, but still when added with the other stuff)

Yuma is a main character, has a habit of sleeping in, who has a connection to heaven, while not outright being a denizen of heaven itself, rather a middle world between heaven and hell.

Yuma goes down into a "lower" world to fight off the villains, especially one who seeks to resurrect totally!Satan while also trying to gather some sacred "artifacts" used to seal Satan away/gain access to the power of god

Dark Mist is a fruity, evil, slightly trolling version of Astral who belongs to Don Thousand in the long run. Vector is a counterpart here, being the other half seeking to revive Don Thousand, his new master, and really being trolly/likable as a villain.

Don Thousand is a dead/sealed away Satan.

I know originality is dead, but the level of beating a dead horse in ZeXal sometimes kills me.

Apparently Yuma's actually the part of Astral that Astral lost when he fought Don Thousand all those eons ago, which would explain why Yuma's parents said the things they said about him.  Also Astral labelled Number 99 as the apex Number.  I suppose Numeron Dragon doesn't factor into that, since it's the creator entity and all.

...what?

I mean, it makes sense...but it still sounds like it comes out of nowhere. The only real indication of this has been that Yuma was capable of using Shining Draw without Astral. And then Yuma produced a Number out of nowhere, even though technically, it's a "Future Number" and it's 0.

Which, on that note, Yuma using Shining Draw, followed by Astral using Shining Draw was cool, if only because it was a throwback to how Eliphas said that Astral World denizens use Shining Draw in their Duels. Since both players used a Shining Draw, it seemed to further showcase that they were evenly matched, whereas Yuma vs Eliphas was absurdly one-sided for the majority of it.

So...there are 99 Numbers, and Numeron Dragon itself is just the key to the Numeron Code.

url-1.gif

What a great ending. Robobabies and the traditional female protagonist admitting their love gave me a laugh at towards the end.

I got a little confused as to what happened, but I shall assume that because Yuma won, the Numeron Code ended up in his favor and fixed everything up as if it was dandy and basically it ended up like the ending of Mirai Nikki. And also, I need someone to make an art of a Barian Team Satisfaction in a sentai style.

Zexal ended off on a positive note; No need to flash forward as we're riding on hope and kattobingu. As a futuristic remix of the original Duel Monster spin-off, this one does a pretty good job of including decent character development, some unique characters, and a whole lot of awesomeness involving the Number series and Xyzs in general. Zexal had its downfalls as well; A lot of the duels were predictable and lacked substance due to the common formula, there were a lot of characters that probably could use some more development or rather they don't need to be there at all and there were often some cheesy or dull scenes inbetween that could have definitely made things better. But the writers stuck through with a moral from point A to B, and through some loopholes they placed unique symbolism and character assessment along the way, and these pretty much reveals some good strengths Konami is placing forward. Zexal is definitely not the best spin-off but it's surely debatable if one were to stick towards the end.

Arc-V seems to do something with its plot with a non-dark character this time, but I'm excited for what's to come with Pendulum Summons and whatnot. Passing on Kattobingu to Yuya...

I got a little confused as to what happened, but I shall assume that because Yuma won, the Numeron Code ended up in his favor and fixed everything up as if it was dandy and basically it ended up like the ending of Mirai Nikki. And also, I need someone to make an art of a Barian Team Satisfaction in a sentai style.

http://yugioh.wikia.com/wiki/Glorious_Seven

That's exactly what that is. Even named after KR.

What a great ending. Robobabies and the traditional female protagonist admitting their love gave me a laugh at towards the end.

Zexal ended off on a positive note; No need to flash forward as we're riding on hope and kattobingu. As a futuristic remix of the original Duel Monster spin-off, this one does a pretty good job of including decent character development, some unique characters, and a whole lot of awesomeness involving the Number series and Xyzs in general. Zexal had its downfalls as well; A lot of the duels were predictable and lacked substance due to the common formula, there were a lot of characters that probably could use some more development or rather they don't need to be there at all and there were often some cheesy or dull scenes inbetween that could have definitely made things better. But the writers stuck through with a moral from point A to B, and through some loopholes they placed unique symbolism and character assessment along the way, and these pretty much reveals some good strengths Konami is placing forward. Zexal is definitely not the best spin-off but it's surely debatable if one were to stick towards the end.

Arc-V seems to do something with its plot with a non-dark character this time, but I'm excited for what's to come with Pendulum Summons and whatnot. Passing on Kattobingu to Yuya...

Pretty much my thoughts in a nutshell. Zexal wasn't the best, but I watched it from beginning to end like all the others. With cards like Gagaga, I just wished Yuma used more numbers.

Hmmm yea Arc-V  so far seems to be going a non-dark route. But there's always a dark-magical entity waiting to screw everyone over. My guess? Some Evil clown as the antagonist?

Even through the weaker moments, I enjoyed Zexal, and it was great fun to analyze the hell out of everything. Of course there were some glaring flaws, but none of the series was ever perfect. They all had moments we'd rather forget, or slow pacing, or Duels that weren't quite as good as they could have been.

The only thing that could've made it better is if Yuma's parents came back from Astral World. but that's just my opinion. Hope the dub has this ending. Can't believe Yuma won.

Ummm....wasn't it clearly seen and explained in the episode that THEY WERE ALIVE IN A DESERT STILL EXPLORING COMPLETELY INTACT AND ALIVE?

And it was obvious Yuma won the duel in order to show his improvement and breakthrough of his courage and strength. I think we talked about that a while ago.

[spoiler=My reaction to the ending]

Don: Okay, show's done. The Barian guys can come back, Yuma's parents are around, Kaito, you finally got up. Great, great misleading the audience with the dramatic dea-

Bill: Wait, what?

Don: What's wrong?

Bill: Why are the Barians back?

Don: We ran out of things to do with them while they were dead?

Bill: But, we saw the Barians and Kaito die dramatic deaths. Kaito and Shark each got memorial-style end credits.

Don: So? It's Yugioh. We off people for the feels, then bring them back when the world's saved.

Bill: But, that's...idiotic.

Don: How...?

Bill: When someone dies in a dramatic moment, bringing them back when the problem's solved undermines the emotional impact of the character's death.

Don: Uh-huh, uh-huh. What got you fired from DC Comics again?

[/spoiler]

[spoiler=My reaction to the show]

Don: Another show, another success.

Rob: This show sucked.

Don: Rob, you're back.

Rob: Just picking up my things.

Don: Too bad. Zexal's over now. Everyone's partying.

Rob: Oh god...

Don: What?

Rob: Zexal was so stupid.

Don: How?

Rob: The show's initial premise is a fetch quest. A FETCH QUEST. Know why Transformers Armada sucked? It was a FETCH QUEST. A fetch quest for a hundred cards that turn people evil. Tell me, what the heck was so dangerous about Gold Rat? He was a vanilla. A trading card with no powers is perceived as a threat to the world.

Don: Hey! Just because he wasn't given a nauseating CGI super attack, that doesn't mean he wasn't dangerous.

Rob: Anyway, if the premise wasn't bland enough, there's the characters. There's nothing to say about Yuma. He's that boring. If Kotori made Yuma a sandwich like Aki likely did for Yusei off-screen, I could say Kotori actually did something productive, but she ended being one of the most worthless girls in the history of anime. There's Dex, err...whatever the fat kid's name was, who...did something. There's that one kid who had the only normal haircut in the show, who...was irrelevant. Which brings me to my next complaint. Who designed the characters?

Don: Some...Japanese guy.

Rob: That guy needs to be gunned down like that little girl from The Walking Dead.

Don: Sad episode.

Rob: It was...Zexal's hairstyles are ugly as sin. I can't even describe what's wrong with Yuma's hair. Wings on the back? Lightning bolt bang? For months, I thought Kaito wore a green tiara until Jeremy in the back told me those were bangs. Shark's hair looks like an unholy fusion of a rake and a dishwashing glove. Vector's hair looks like it's not fully attached to his head.

Don: Oh come on, the second season was really good.

Rob: No it wasn't. For the first several episodes, I thought we were making Sailor Moon with cards. A moronic protagonist? A cult of dark sorcerer-whatevers infecting one person a week with Negaverse energy? The bad guys all using the same method in burn damage, but with different cards? The moronic protagonist winning with the same attack over and over? Yeah, great follow-up to the better first season.

Don: But, it was dramatic. I mean, we offed everyone.

Rob: Then, you undercut the dramatics by bringing everyone back.

Don: Touche. Where do you work now?

Rob: Cardfight Vanguard.

Don: Isn't it mating season over there?

Rob: ...%^&@!

[/spoiler]

I can't believe robot babies got the spotlight for the laughs here considering the all-powerful Deus Ex Machina that is the Numeron Code revived everyone and made the world a better place... Oh but Tron's face? Yeah that's totally unfixable right? Screw Tron.

I won't lie, I had fun with the episode, although I'm torn in the mass revival aspect of it. On one side it's stupid and it does kill off the drama and makes deaths pointless. From now on everyone that's already seen any of this will just skip the drama death scenes should they come watch any episode again. Sad scenes weren't all that well acted/animated/w/e anyways, with Yuma screaming the name of everyone dying in the same way every time rather than have that reaction reserved for one meaningful time. On the other hand, I kinda did wanna  see all those guys together particularly interacting with one another. I wouldn't mind a more slice-of-life fillery casual set of episodes with the Barians and co. walking around (contrary to popular opinion I DID like some "pointless" episodes more than many plot-driven ones).

I'm glad Kotori confessed though. Not so much for her sake but because it means the writers of these shows do listen to fans at least a bit and know that most find it annoying how the guy never gets the girl in Yugioh, I have hopes and expectations for Arc V's... please don't let me down.

The show is still at the bottom of my list even without waiting out the hype of the ending to say this. The bad in ZeXal was downright unwatchable to me. Honestly. 

That said I DID like a lot of moments here and there throughout.

Finally, the trend of less episodes continues:

DM      224

GX      180

5ds     154

ZeXal  146

Adding Capsule Monsters (10), Season 0 (30), and 5ds' Assault Mode special (1) you could say We are about to start episode 746 in 2 weeks.

Also Ygo opening 22

Archived