Why do you play Yu-Gi-Oh?

Yes. And since frogs no meta deck has done this since it's pretty hard to win without attacking, as it happens.

Even if you think "first turn" also applies for your opponent's first turn, none of the meta decks even can FTK unless they open the absolute nuts, so your statement is still somewhat incorrect. All this sounds like is someone salty about the meta decks being better than the rest without actually bothering to look at how meta decks operate.

I was thinking about in the past about rescue cat tbh.
Well if you want a more recent meta wonder, how about Tech's like dark law and infinity? Are they thrilling to try and counter? Is nekroz fun to counter? I'm just saying, a format where you have to just counter whatever nonsense they pull constantly to even stand a chance isn't thrilling at all, I'm not salty about meta, and I know how it works since I've had to face enough times, but I find it hardly thrilling and reaaaally repetitive.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I started because people played it at primary school and I joined in. I strongly remeber getting laughed at for trading away a Luster Dragon #2 for a Psychic Comander because Luster Dragon #2 had higher attack, yet not caring because I was now able to actually summon the ultra-rare Thought Ruler Archfiend that I got in a pack a few days beforehand.

I play Yu-Gi-Oh on DN because of the ability to use any card and it is active and I enjoy the game. I would still play in real life, but I know very few people that still play. I enjoy looking over the cards I have and thinking of decks I can make with them.

i honestly started playing because i liked a card's artwork O-O, then i became the best of my school with my kick-ass madolche deck

I don't even know why i'm still playing it, but there are just some archetypes that bring me back and stuff (i'm looking at you Ghostricks and Fluffals....)

And i love playing it irl, but i have 0 people to play with, so.....

I play it because of its one of the earliest games I played, and besides some Sega mega drive games I had probably my favourite at the time. Now I play it usually because I'm bored or I want to try out new cards.

IRL wise, no-one to play with. Online, can't be bothered to use DN or play against people on DevPro/YGOPro anymore so just play against the AI before giving up on the deck.

Yugioh is "fast and fun".

I play it because it's better than Hearthstone, which is also fast but not as fun.

I play mostly MtG these days because you don't really lose on card quality alone as much as you do in YGO and there's more interactivity. YGO as a game is alright - you just need to take the power creep into stride and accept the current standard.

Yugioh is "fast and fun".

I play it because it's better than Hearthstone, which is also fast but not as fun.

I play mostly MtG these days because you don't really lose on card quality alone as much as you do in YGO and there's more interactivity. YGO as a game is alright - you just need to take the power creep into stride and accept the current standard.

Hearthstone is objectively a better game. You may not enjoy it as much as YGO, but the design is much more solid, and it has much more thought and care put into it than YGO does.

I mean, I tend to enjoy YGO more, too, but that's due to nostalgia/knowing the game better.

Saying MTG is better than HS works, as they're comparable, but as card games being the only comparison... HS is an objectively better game design.

Yu-Gi-Oh is the kind of game that you just play when you have spare time or if you've got a new deck you normally keep them for a little and then use it to savour them longer at least thats what i do but then again it is really addicting

I remember 2 of my main friends and I all had Yu-Gi-Oh cards and i had the rubbish messed up random monster deck and I always lost And then i got the Realm of Light Structure Deck I beat all of them that was probably my best moments of Yu-Gi-Oh

I'm just saying, a format where you have to just counter whatever nonsense they pull constantly to even stand a chance isn't thrilling at all, 

But that's WHY it's fun... it's hard to beat and can be frustrating when you lose... but the thrill of pushing as hard as you can to survive is really nice periodically (Not 24/7) But hey... I guess everyone has there own opinions...

Hearthstone is objectively a better game. You may not enjoy it as much as YGO, but the design is much more solid, and it has much more thought and care put into it than YGO does.

I mean, I tend to enjoy YGO more, too, but that's due to nostalgia/knowing the game better.

Saying MTG is better than HS works, as they're comparable, but as card games being the only comparison... HS is an objectively better game design.

I played Hearthstone for a time until around the time Naxxramas came out. Design-wise - absolutely. But Hearthstone carries a hefty grind to get to top level competitive play and thus I don't find it nearly as fun (without investing significant amounts financially or temporally). Arena is a diceroll compared to MtG draft and although there's a good amount of skill involved there's no guaranteed parity with opponents (and there certainly isn't in matchmaking!). So that's why I don't play it and I don't think it's as good for a player, especially newer players who have very shallow card pools. It's possible but can be frustrating to compete.

Oh yeah and I think the fact they basically disallow interactivity on the opponent's turn is total BS and makes for very swingy games, even moreso than YGO, but that's a personal opinion.

In context, and I reiterate; YGO is a better game to play for the "fast and fun" factor than Hearthstone is for someone who doesn't actively invest a lot of time into either game (i.e. me).

Well I actually quit YGO a year or two back, but I USE to play because I liked the variety of deck choices and the fast pacing of the game at the time. I had a lot of friends who played it at school too, so I always had people to play with. I also lithe amount of strategic thought that went into deck building and how you could add your own style into a deck to give it a sense of individuality. It also had that special feeling you get when you make something that works really well from something that was essentially nothing before. Also, I'd been playing since I was really young (like 7 or something) so it had a special nostalgic feeling to it.

I remember I quit somewhere around the time that Fire Fists were popular, maybe a little bit after that. I just didn't like where the meta was going, and at the time I was playing competitively. It felt like, for me at least, the game had become less strategic and adopted the mindset of "don't think, just spam the field with cards that shut down your opponent completely and then turn them into bigger cards that do the same thing" and that wasn't fun for me. It felt like in order to keep up I had to sacrifice any individuality that I had in deck choices, which I didn't want to do. I would have felt like a video game hack, in the sense that I wouldn't want to play to have fun, I would just want to win and wouldn't care how. That coupled with the ridiculous prices for some of the cards and how all my friends had moved to MtG, I just lost all interest. DN and DevPro were nice, but it never really had the same appeal that irl dueling did for me.

I thought about starting again when Arc-V came out (cuz with a new anime season comes a new card type as we know) but then saw the whole Pendulum summoning thing and thought it was the stupidest thing in the world. 

Basically I play Yugioh because it's still fun (although lately, I have been designing Decks that work in the metagame on my limited as hell RL budget) and because that's basically the other TCG that I play that's still active.

Literally, the only people I even play RL nowadays are some kids (last match was a narrow loss, but only because I misplayed and didn't protect Perfect Ace instead of Goalkeeper in UAs after opponent triggered Avalon in NKs). Of course, I did beat one of their Nordic Decks with MPBs (sans Dracossack/11); but attribute it to design and me getting enough backrow to screw them over in the Deck [going into Gangaridai + burning for game was hilarious though].

That in mind, I don't go on DN because some of the meta is stupid lately (well, I haven't been on since Igknights and CORE came around); YGOPro is basically some AI matches and/or minor fights.

---

With that said, most of the Decks (online) I have now are essentially meta-oriented (or deal with it)

• Nekroz [yeah, kill me for this; though I only used it once for testing reasons, because limited time and when I cbb to even go on DN]
  • U.A. [I have to thank Nai for this one] and so on); I think they're still in here, but idk.
  • Heraldry

I don't have a BA Deck, even though I fought one the other day and made a status about how much Graveyard spam and crap they have (although probably a couple weeks back).

I still have some lower stuff like MPBs and some HERO hybrid Deck; basically makes Synchro Monsters instead of Fusions; I haven't updated it because I don't know where it is lately. This is offline stuff; might consider new things once Superstars comes out next month.

This has probably been said before, but as much as I hate the metagame and its cheap-ass decks, I still think that the Yugioh card game is still fun to play casually and with friends. At least when you're playing it like this, there's tons of new and fun things to use and to see used against you (most of the time at least). I also like the artwork, playstyle, and creativity you can have with the card game, which is really what keeps it fresh and exciting for me. If I ever get to the point where I've drained every last drop of enjoyment out of playing with a certain archetype, I can always find another to duel with, as can others.

It's a small thing and something I barely ever think about anymore, but there's a kind of subconscious fondness for the game simply because I started to learn how to play it back when I was going through a bout of depression, and playing Yugioh helped to distract myself from it.

I thought about starting again when Arc-V came out (cuz with a new anime season comes a new card type as we know) but then saw the whole Pendulum summoning thing and thought it was the stupidest thing in the world. 

In the words of a YCM member i cant name "Bad card design... good game mechanic"

They can be fun... but they can be a dick... all depends on the deck...

The cards are fun to play with. 

I prefer the visual card design to an extent where I can't even imagine myself playing MtG,

I love the art,

the game also packs lots of nostalgia

and the recent archetypes, most notably shaddolls, were so fun and flavorful I was just clicked on the concept. 

I play yu-gi-oh because I've made a lot of friends who also play the game, and I've met some of my best friends through the game. I also love the art of the cards(I like some of the designs on magic, but I have yet to get used to the keywords).

My largest reason for still playing though is for those matches where both you and your opponent have both been put through your entire decks over the course of 3 rounds, and you've both made the best plays you could using everything in your decks. I've made more friends during those kinds of games than i have through all of the high speed/tier matches that I've played. To put it simply though, I still play yu-gi-oh because for all the crap that the meta does, the lower tier games, to me at least are the most fun games I've had in any card game I've ever played (except maybe uno...)

As a side note, I haven't played tournaments for months, and the game as a whole has actually felt better because of it to me. the meta might be poison, but beneath that poisonous layer is a delicious flat chest an immensely enjoyable game filled with an incredible variety of decks to run into.

I ply because I have played. It's been part of my routine to go to my FLGS every week for the past few years. The versatility of the cards makes for a ton of silly strategies (some that work, some that don't) that you honestly can't find anywhere else. While simplistic, it's still a decent game concept (hence YDF, which I haven't heard from for a while now) and were it better managed it wouldn't be so hated upon. As said many times, competitive YGO is utter crap, and all the enjoyment of the game comes out of the rest of it; trying out weird concepts and playing with interesting mechanics. I think Konami sees that more as well, hence the legacy support and Arc-V in general.

I've tested out many card games, and to be honest, I couldn't stick to them much....

-Card Fight Vanguard has great art and I like the characters of the anime series, but the game itself is closed in a little bubble of patterns. The way damage is taken, the way decks guard, the triggers having the the same stats for all clans, etc.

-Kaijudo I wanted it to survive and grow. I couldn't test it out IRL in time.

-Magic... I'm sorry, but the mana system gives me very mixed feelings. I either feel outlucked by not drawing them, dirty for winning without having my opponent draw enough of them, or indifferent when it DOES get well paced. However, the mana system is not what puts me off. The games I've had with people have always lacked the back and forth come backs that I expected. One time it was 2 fields clogged with like 30 cards each and a bunch of mana that we had nothing to spend on. Other times I got to play my black deck full of destroy and discard effects against a couple of decks that only cared for burn, and there was zero interaction in that because we were both working towards completely different deck goals that never clashed. Then that one time my brother got pretty much OTKd for that Blue/Red 15/15 card and a bunch of solitaire, and people were along the lines of "oh but it is just at X format and a very expensive deck and bla bla... and I'm like "how is that different from what I complained about in Yugioh and how is it excusable that it exists?

All in all, I do have a ton of unknown territory regarding this game though....

-Pokemon: It is a very cool game, but I have found it hard to create a couple of decks on pair with each other to casually enjoy it with friends, mainly because we all have cards from different ages. Also, everything I own is probably banned by now anyways. Not extremely bad but I'm not gonna invest on it unless I find some of my favorite Pokemon with interesting effects and/or great art, and Johto is not coming back anytime soon.

-So Yugioh, what about Yugioh?
I've been playing for 15 years, and at most there must have been like 5 good formats in competitive play, some of which were formats where only one tier zero deck was biable. I have absolutely no faith in the competitive game. It usually disappoints me, and it treats the TCG side like milking cows with higher prices, more absurd pull ratios, bumped rarities to the few interesting cards I sometimes feel like getting (to which I answer with an educated "fuck no that Secret was a rare... forget it then"), a lot of hard-earned understanding on technicalities I had to learn the hard way over the years, and the fact we get the main releases 3 months later and take much longer to get their exclusives than they do to get ours.

The game as a whole doesn't have worthwhile prizes anyways...

I can't really go to even locals around here anyways because it takes all day and I can't really put up with it...

The answer is, I only play with close friends a few times per year, and my collection of cards IRL is mostly my brother and I getting them to play against each other. We get our nostalgia cards or our cheap decks to build once in a while...

The game IS inherently fun and can always give interesting plays and good exchanges depending on how it is done. The core mechanics have potential so something like a custom format can really shine.

I started playing way back as a little kid, bought a few cards but realized that the game was just like the card game but I didn't have to spend money on cards (Gasp!) After a while I lost a lot of interest; well before Monarchs came out. I stopped playing because I didn't have any IRL friends that played it and the game got old for me. So fast forward to like college where I started watching through the whole series start-to-finish. I knew I liked the show as a kid, but I never got a chance to finish the whole thing or catch every episode (because of life and schedules). So I binged that, and it actually got me wanting to play the card game again. So I torrented a rom of WC Over the Nexus and played that and LOVED it; but I still didn't really have any IRL friends that played and even that was starting to lose its interest-value as well.

In my second year of college, I met a bunch of guys that played it IRL, and needless to say I got sucked right back in. Thanks to them I also discovered DN and eventually DevPro as well (gleefully leaving DN in the dust) and I've been playing online since.

I honestly just really love making my own decks and trying out different strategies to see if they click; I also really enjoy trying to go for monsters that look like a challenge to summon. I've taken a moderate interest in the meta game, at least just to see what's doing well and what strategies are prevailing. I kind of enjoy playing against the meta as it gives me a good challenge and CAN lead to interesting games (it can also lead to turn-1 releaser locks and oh joy I don't get to play, but them's the breaks). Despite enjoying my games against the meta, I still try to structure my decks and strategies in a way that still supports player interaction. You won't see me playing any lock strategies or anything like that!

Right now, my favorite decks are:
- Trains. I practically invented this deck tbh (yeah I know Konami made the cards). This is basically the only deck I had to build from the ground-up with absolutely no internet tips or tricks because at the time, there weren't any. I can actually link you to the earliest posted Trains build, and it's mine!!! ALL MINE!!! Granted, it was a super crappy Magical Geart Town/Galaxy Queen's Light build, but it DID work sometimes.
- Superheavy Samurais. PROPER Superheavy Samurais. I frickin' love these cards; how HAM you can go with the plays, and how smart you can play them. They're super ridiculous and I love them.
- Synchrons. Out of all the protag decks, this one's my favorite. The combos and plays are very refreshing to work off of. Every duel's different and the deck never really feels old because how many different plays you can do with the cards. Drill Warrior is one of my top-dog cards; I love that thing.
- U.A. - If I absolutely had to pick one reason, it would be the artwork.
- Bamboo Artifact Vylon - This is the goofiest and dumbest deck I've ever built, and it's stupid that it works as well as it does. This is probably the only lock strategy I'll ever play, if only because it's actually pretty difficult to pull of perfectly, and doesn't always work out 100% perfectly. BAV started as a personal challenge to build a triple-archetype deck, and I laughed every time I dueled with them, even when I lost. It's a ridiculous deck.

Also, it doesn't hurt that I've made a lot of good friends online on DevPro that I regularly play with. We've had some awesome duels, and it's all really fun. I just wish I had some friends IRL that were into the game so I could have a better reason to go to locals. I'd go to my locals if I had friends to go with; but alas that is not the case.

I play YuGiOh, because when I got my first cards, I found them amazing and cool. I sometimes traded cards with my friend and we played together. Back when the NDS was common, I found out that there is a Yugioh game for it (YGO WC 08). I bought it and it was pretty fun playing it. Even today I still play that game so I can improve my skills. I wouldn't be here if I didn't find that game.

So, do you ever see that kid on the street who's trying really hard to pay attention to everything that's going on, only to completely lose it when he sees a penny on the floor? Yeah, that's essentially how I got into Yugioh. Kid + shiny things = match made in disaster. Most of my friends in primary school also happened to be entranced by this tactic, and just so happened to have their own stuff. That, and the only reason I played Yugioh in primary was 'cos every teacher went nuts over Pokemon cards, so we used a bit of loophole abuse to bypass the system. (It's not Pokemon, right? That means it's okay!)

After a while, I literally forgot about Yugioh's existance 'til an old friend of mine told me of DN. Needless to say, I was completely over the moon. I can play my favourite card game? For no money at all? At ANY TIME? Yikes, I was sold on that. We only really played for fun, and I didn't exactly play the game outside of my circle of friends. Needless to say, when I got into the competitive scene, I was soundly whacked over the head for running head-first into something I had no idea about. (What are all these acronyms? Certain decks are the best and everything else is bad? You HAVE to run some cards in nearly every deck?)

I mean, granted, Yugioh is still fun, but when you play with people who have no idea of the competitive scene, and haven't exactly conformed to the whole point of its existance, it just saps the life out of you. I just play it so I can make some cool deck idea that'll probably die out in a couple of minutes. Casual play's still okay, though it's not the best thing in the world.

Archived