Pokemon Sun & Moon

Tinkerer

I'm starting to get a little bothered by the SOS Chaining system as well, especially when it comes to raising competitive Pokemon. I'm trying to raise my Golisopod's HP stat, but the only reliable Pokemon I can get those EVs from are from Pelipper, and they rarely and ever call out Allies, and Pokemon like Barboach chains and Igglybuff chains are very tedious as they are not as common and it takes a while for them to call the 2 EV point Pokemon I aim for. So in the end I am doing this very slowly versus the average 1 and a half hour it takes to breed a poke and immediately EV train and raise it.

• Replies 4.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So, on a random note, I'm very happy the PC now just jumps to the "Move Pokemon" option.

Mimikyu is a jabroni to chain man, I don't even want it shiny, just want a Jolly with decent IVs; you need a Synchronizer, a Scrappy False Swiper, and someone who can Mold Break or multi-hit through the Disguise. Plus the new Synchronizing rules suck

If you want to breed things I recommend catching an army of Ditto. This way all you need is to get the Pokemon itself and use the Ditto to fix the nature. The only real use for Synchronizers is for the Tapu and UBs. And what is the change for Synchronizers?  

That's a long ways away my friend, plus I'm running out of non-competitive stuff to do

Work on filing the Pokedex. It feels really weird that I'm going to be spending a ton more time in Y even after getting Moon, but its the easiest way for me to do the living dex since I have so much in my save to make the job easy.

I'm not a fan of the SOS battle thing either; yeah, I suppose it can get HA 'mons from previous generations, but importing them is a lot easier. Still preferred Super Training / Horde battles because easier and less painful to train; that, and Gen 6's EXP formula (not Gen 5's one of adjusting it based on level). 

Heck, I still need to find stuff like Bruxish and Mareanie; former is a pain because only thing that shows up in those areas are karps, and I need to find where Corsolas are.

Do we know how much was exactly changed? I haven't tested it (really should have), but do Pokemon past the point of evolution still get bonus EXP?

I'm just glad I decided to get my Festival Plaza and Poke Pelago all kitted out early on, it's made things a lot easier.

Yea, I'm going to need to do this at some point. Any recommendations for set up for them and ways to maximize them the fastest?

Training Attack and Speed isn't an issue (because Poni Grove [day] and Resolution Cave), but other stats are a legitimate pain to train (well, I'd like to have the ones that give 2 EVs per battle). Sp.Atk-wise, usually end up at the Megamart where Acerola's trial is for Haunters. 

If all else fails (I get tired of trying to EV train pre-Gen 6 style or make the Pokemon call out something), just put them in Poke Pelago and train them there. I prefer doing it as a group, so I can train multiple stuff at once (problem is that some of them have varying numbers of EVs I need in a specific spot). Yeah, it'll take a lot longer, but what can I do about it?

And what is the change for Synchronizers?  

You can't have the Synchronizer fainted in the first slot of your party. And for SOS, it needs to be in battle when the ally is called. But you can have a fainted non-Synchronizer in the first slot with your Synchronizer in the second slot, and it'll use the fainted 'mons nature.

I guess it's more tedious for shiny hunting more than anything, but still annoying in a lot of situations.

Wait until the gen 7 remake of Sinnoh to see if they do things better?

The biggest question for me is horde battles. They made life SO easy for EV training, but if the game can't handle them they won't be in it, no matter how much they want to have them. That being said, they did take steps to make EV training easier in OR/AS with 100% horde encounters for various EVs so helpfully they'll streamline SOS battles a little to make that true in the next game.

You can't have the Synchronizer fainted in the first slot of your party. And for SOS, it needs to be in battle when the ally is called. But you can have a fainted non-Synchronizer in the first slot with your Synchronizer in the second slot, and it'll use the fainted 'mons nature.

I guess it's more tedious for shiny hunting more than anything, but still annoying in a lot of situations.

That seems needlessly complex. Though with this being time they've had Pokemon appear mid battle they were likely at a lose for how stuff like this worked. I'm going to assume item hunting with Compoundeyes is in a similar position.

You seem ignorant on where to train.

Route 1 has Caterpie for HP, the route between Paniola and the first Akala town has Lillipup for attack, Cutiefly/Oricorio on Melemele give speed and special attack.

Actually, I have Pokerus and if I give it to you then you won't have problems anymore because Pokerus+power item gives you a full stat in about 10 kills even if the Pokemon gives 0 of the EV you're training. It's really just easier than ever to get a stat to 252.

Yea, I'm going to need to do this at some point. Any recommendations for set up for them and ways to maximize them the fastest?

Well with Poke Pelago you want to max out the first island ASAP. More beans means you can max out the other islands faster. After that I focused on Isle Evelup since I primarily used it for EV training, the treasure one is useful for getting shards which can be traded for bottle caps in the Festival Plaza or getting things like evolution stones (some of which can't be bought, like the Sun Stone, so aside from the one you get in Blush Mountain you have to use the Pelago to get more). The berry island is nice if you want to grow the EV reducing berries. Haven't done anything with the hot spring one, not sure how useful it is for increasing friendship or hatching eggs.

With Festival Plaza first and foremost make sure you're connected to the internet, and then do as many type matchup tests that you can join in on. They're easy to do and lots of people do them, so you can usually get 30-50 FC each time. Once you get your plaza to rank 8 you can then get facilities from other players (the facility being shared depends on whatever is in the first slot, or directly to the right of the castle entrance). What I've done is visit the couple of subreddits for the plaza and added people that way. If you have someone added as a friend, both of you connect online, they'll show up in your guest list which you can then call to your castle via one of the NPCs, then VIP them and you can access them even when they're offline. The higher rank facilities cost lots of FC however (I got a 5 star rare kitchen from someone and it cost 1500) so be prepared to grind out type matchup tests. Also, the Treasure Hunt lottery facility is important because you can get both kinds of Bottle Caps from it. There are facilities for EV training, but I have yet to find anything with specific numbers on how many EVs each thing gives.

Serebii has a guide on both if you want specifics:

http://www.serebii.net/sunmoon/festivalplaza.shtml

http://www.serebii.net/sunmoon/pokepelago.shtml

You seem ignorant on where to train.

Route 1 has Caterpie for HP, the route between Paniola and the first Akala town has Lillipup for attack, Cutiefly/Oricorio on Melemele give speed and special attack.

Actually, I have Pokerus and if I give it to you then you won't have problems anymore because Pokerus+power item gives you a full stat in about 10 kills even if the Pokemon gives 0 of the EV you're training. It's really just easier than ever to get a stat to 252.

Broke. N posted Serebii's recommend EV training spots. Not sure how good they all are (I disagree on some of their XY recommendations), but it should get people by.

The way the math works the max EVs you can get in a SOS is

(Pokemon Gives 1 + 8 for Power item) x2 for SOS bonus x2 for Pokerus = 36. 252/36=7. The math works out too perfectly which is why I'd assume they upped the Power item bonus in the first place. Even without Pokerus you still get it in an even 14 KOs. With the old +4 it would be 25 and 12.5 with the 12.5 being the issue.

Well with Poke Pelago you want to max out the first island ASAP. More beans means you can max out the other islands faster. After that I focused on Isle Evelup since I primarily used it for EV training, the treasure one is useful for getting shards which can be traded for bottle caps in the Festival Plaza or getting things like evolution stones (some of which can't be bought, like the Sun Stone, so aside from the one you get in Blush Mountain you have to use the Pelago to get more). The berry island is nice if you want to grow the EV reducing berries. Haven't done anything with the hot spring one, not sure how useful it is for increasing friendship or hatching eggs.

With Festival Plaza first and foremost make sure you're connected to the internet, and then do as many type matchup tests that you can join in on. They're easy to do and lots of people do them, so you can usually get 30-50 FC each time. Once you get your plaza to rank 8 you can then get facilities from other players (the facility being shared depends on whatever is in the first slot, or directly to the right of the castle entrance). What I've done is visit the couple of subreddits for the plaza and added people that way. If you have someone added as a friend, both of you connect online, they'll show up in your guest list which you can then call to your castle via one of the NPCs, then VIP them and you can access them even when they're offline. The higher rank facilities cost lots of FC however (I got a 5 star rare kitchen from someone and it cost 1500) so be prepared to grind out type matchup tests. Also, the Treasure Hunt lottery facility is important because you can get both kinds of Bottle Caps from it. There are facilities for EV training, but I have yet to find anything with specific numbers on how many EVs each thing gives.

Serebii has a guide on both if you want specifics:

http://www.serebii.net/sunmoon/festivalplaza.shtml

http://www.serebii.net/sunmoon/pokepelago.shtml

This will be helpful going forward. Thank you.

I may have to start using the Poke Plaza more often now as opposed to just small kinds of stuff like trading. Going to want a lot of Bottle Caps for the imported stuff come January (that, and whatever 'mons I have now that need buffs). 

Only stuff I haven't maxed in Poke Pelago is Avue (the spa one) and Aphun; former is still rank 1 and the other is 2, I think. Other ones like the Abeens, Aplenny and Evelup are at rank 3 (I use latter very often). 

Going back to a comment I think I saw a bit ago, was someone complaining that Kahili came out of nowhere and we knew nothing about her character? Yeah, of course, that's like the majority of E4 members since Gen I, it seems silly to complain about. The fact we had 3 that we actually knew surprised me greatly.

Also it wasn't until this game that I realized they buffed Sitrus Berries. That was in Gen IV and I had no idea until now.

Going back to a comment I think I saw a bit ago, was someone complaining that Kahili came out of nowhere and we knew nothing about her character? Yeah, of course, that's like the majority of E4 members since Gen I, it seems silly to complain about. The fact we had 3 that we actually knew surprised me greatly.

Also it wasn't until this game that I realized they buffed Sitrus Berries. That was in Gen IV and I had no idea until now.

That was actually me that said it. And yea, the E4 normally comes out of no where, but here where they made such a big effort with the characters and gave them such personality it made the normal thing really stand out and feel a lot more negative. They even had a pretty easy out with her too given her connection to the giant hotel. Have her give you Trick Room TM when you get to the giant hotel and have her have a line saying she was off traveling, but got a call about something and decided to come home.

Well I think most E4 members are mentioned at least once by some random NPC, though I could be wrong.

The 5 star Rare Kitchen is super useful because it has the Rare Dinner (100 FC) that raises a Pokemon of level 79 or lower by 7 levels, and the Rare Buffet (300 FC) that raises a Pokemon of level 89 or lower by 9 levels. Really good for getting to level 100 faster to Hyper Train. I've got it in my first spot for sharing if anyone ever wants to get it for their plaza, but remember that it does take 1500 FC to get through that method.

Actually, this might not help, but Kahili was foreshadowed. Back in the Hanu Grand Hotel, there is a female golfer who mentions Kahili was a famous golfer and golf trainer.

Yea, I saw that. It is SOMETHING at least. Would have liked her at least appearing though.

Also, in total honesty, I totally skipped the Grand Hotel stuff. The only time you go there you get sent to Aether and I never thought to go back.

In the demo she was also mentioned by one of the NPCs who says that she is off to conquest the world with her golfing skills...or something along the lines of that. While her lack of mention and development is noticeable compared to the rest of the characters, it's not like this is the only time a formidable yet forgettable obstacle trainer has taken a role, especially within the Elite Four. She specializes in Flying at least so that's memorable.

I've also been looking in competitive videos recently and a lot of people have been finding a niche for Pyukumuku and it's so funny how it's basically a pure support and anti-Tapu that has the potential to OHKO a Wood Hammer Bulu or Xurkitree. Makes me want to raise one for the lulz; I actually found it a little cute anyway.

I did the E4 in order from left to right so when I got to Acerola I was like, "WTF where's Nanu." because I figured it'd be the Kahunas given Hala and Olivia. Her immediately explaining why it wasn't Nanu makes me think Game Freak figured a lot of people would do that order and have the same thought process.

Well I think most E4 members are mentioned at least once by some random NPC, though I could be wrong.

The 5 star Rare Kitchen is super useful because it has the Rare Dinner (100 FC) that raises a Pokemon of level 79 or lower by 7 levels, and the Rare Buffet (300 FC) that raises a Pokemon of level 89 or lower by 9 levels. Really good for getting to level 100 faster to Hyper Train. I've got it in my first spot for sharing if anyone ever wants to get it for their plaza, but remember that it does take 1500 FC to get through that method.

So this more or less takes the place of the juices you can get in XY. Nice that a lot of the quality of life stuff for training is still in the game, just more annoying to use. 

I visit the beach every day to shuck Pyukumuku back. 20k is 20k after all, though it's nothing compared to the 1 mil you get for completing the UB Sidequest.

I did it the one time and was too lazy to go back.

I do think it was nice that we got our first ever Flying E4, and I think our first ever Rock E4 as well. Also, Acerola is an awesome choice for an E4, since she is best Captain.

Yea, I like having new types added to the E4 line up.

Agree that Acerola is easily the best Captain. The others have personality, don't get me wrong, but she has tons more. Not to mention she is far more involved with stuff than the others. Makes me wonder if she was the devs favorite Captain which caused her to get so much focus and the E4 slot.

Archived