Pokemon Sun & Moon

Tinkerer

Not gonna lie, some of the dialogue in this game made me laugh. For example when the pre-schooler at the school was talking about getting up close and personal, the first thing that came to my mind was that she wanted to rape me, and when I was called to the 2F, I thought that the pre-schooler grassed me up because I thought she wanted to rape me.

• Replies 4.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You know, I'm not sure what my expectations were going into this game, but whatever they were, they were definitely surpassed. I'd never really laughed at a Pokemon game before, or had my face glued to the screen due to the story. Pokemon games for me were always just something I just sorta played and had fun with, but they always felt different from other RPG series like Final Fantasy or Tales or whatever else, and I never got super invested in anything besides the gameplay. BW/B2W2 sort of was better about it, but not quite to the extent of SuMo, and this is definitely my favorite Pokemon gen so far.

I agree with this. Pokemon as a franchise one of my favorite things, period. Between the competitive scene, my love for monster designs, the anime when I was a kid and XYZ, and the games themselves Pokemon is just one of those things that has become a part of me. Despite my insane love for the franchise though games themselves have never been anything SUPER special for me. I'll always play, and I'll always enjoy them, but I've never loved them. I loved Moon. Its why it feels weird to more or less be done with the game when I've never really had that feeling before with a Pokemon game. Game Freak hit it out of the park with making the world and characters feel alive. I'm not super big on the Island Challenge but that is also a part of this since those make you a part of the world in a way the gyms never did.

As for favorite, I'm not sure where I'm going to fall on that. So much of how I view a gen as a whole is tied to the competitive stuff and if its less easy to breed competitive stuff in Sun/Moon that will hurt it for me. That being said, I am more than willing to say that Sun/Moon is the best Pokemon game.

Outside of the removal of Super Training / Horde Battles, and the return of Gen 5 EXP mechanics for whatever reason, I'd say the game's done pretty well in terms of gameplay. Yeah, there is also the low speeds of most of the 'mons in this game, which a lot of us aren't pleased with; granted, I'm still a bit peeved over it, but not as much. 

I did plan on getting Moon at some point; would be interesting to have the game time inverted (even though I can technically do it in the night when Solgaleo is on team). Well, I also want the version exclusives on that end, since GTS people are idiots part of the time and I'd like to have some control over what I catch. 

Although, being the lone champion in-game is cool.

Because you wanted your team reviewed.

• Don't really know about Necrozma; need to look at potential sets that would do good for it. (Admittedly, it's oddly distributed stat-wise). What are you trying to go with this?
  • Guzzlord is probably fine, since you aren't going to be using your speed much anyway. But to be fair, you're still going to get blasted by Fairies and the like no matter what, as its defenses are still bad; actually speaking, everything bar its high HP is bad.

• (Attacking stats are somewhat passable, I guess)
  • Lax isn't a great nature on Solgaleo (well, any Defense drops are bad unless the difference between an uncut stat / non-cut is negligible and wouldn't really matter too much). It's not bad, but should really be Adamant or Jolly (mine is the former). If you want to go mixed, I suppose Naive would work, but advising against it. 
  • Alakazam is fine for a traded mon, though you really need to get a Timid one. Inner Focus is okay as an ability for now. 
  • Tapu Koko should be using a speed boosting nature (in your case, Timid would've worked as you have no physical moves on it). You shouldn't need Agility on it as it's the same speed as Jolteon. 
I get that you have no control over traded 'mons, but stuff you can capture on your own, try to get high IVs and ideal natures. I like to use Smogon to determine appropriate sets. Yeah, it's competitively oriented and there are HAs in there that we don't have access to in-game, but it helps; especially if you want to play in the Battle Royale/Tree.

(Consider the battle facilities as a less predictable Showdown for the most part)

Tapu koko's agility is going to be replaced, yeah, with rain dance. I should say that he knows agility when you catch him. Not to mention his ability. The combo is perfect: rain, electronic battlefield, and thunder.

And poisonium z is going on guzzlord aka FATARSE. And im going to train his speed up. So he'd be faster.

Tapu koko's agility is going to be replaced, yeah, with rain dance. I should say that he knows agility when you catch him. Not to mention his ability. The combo is perfect: rain, electronic battlefield, and thunder.

And poisonium z is going on guzzlord aka FATARSE. And im going to train his speed up. So he'd be faster.

I'd advise against training Guzzlord's speed, considering it's under base 50 and Sassy nature cuts it by 10%. Even if you boost it, won't do much. 

Finally got a Fletchinder due to getting a lucky Wonder Trade and trading that on the GTS. Also got a Ditto, another Fomantis with Contrary, and a modest Alolan Vulpix with Snow Warning and some nice egg moves. Bred the Vulpix, and probably gonna use its kid at some point. Since then have been breeding the Fomantis like crazy. I filled up a whole box of Contrary Fomantis (released the Leaf Guard ones) that I'll be using in Wonder Trade. But now I'm wondering just how many more boxes I'll fill up before I get a shiny Fomantis.

SuMo was the first time I laughed out loud at a Pokémon game. Kiawe's trial to be specific, along with other lines of dialogue throughout the game.

And it's also the first time I'm really itching to replay the other version of it so soon after beating it.

My favorite scene is the one where you first meet Faba, when the Skull grunts try to steal a Slowpoke. I was laughing so hard when it kept dramatically zooming in on the Slowpoke's face.

...I just realized I haven't posted in here before. Game was hella good, gotta say. It had some pacing issues, but it was a lot of fun. Plus I liked pretty much all the new Pokes, and the characters (and plot to a lesser extent) were done really well.

God...it takes an eternity to EV train my Golisopod with the SOS method. I really don't have a lot of patience, but it's a bit infuriating how much PP I have spent chaining on Grimer who repetitively poison my Pokemon. It's fortunate at least I have a Pokerus Pokemon, but its yet to spread, and I don't feel like grinding BP in the Tree for the Power items too soon either.

I keep learning things that aren't new. Like, I knew last gen they added the status immunities like Electric-Types not being paralyzed, but I didn't know they made Ghost-Types immune to things like Mean Look/Shadow Tag while also making them guaranteed to flee wild battles regardless of speed.

Well I didn't know that either so at least you're not alone in being a dumb.

R9wFZ1e.png

Also after around seventy-five tries I have finally bred a shiny Fomantis! Which I learned is actually pretty good considering I don't have a shiny charm. It also has the hidden ability, which is a spot of luck considering the Fomantis that came right before and right after both had Leaf Guard. I know it had a 60% chance, but that was just a bit too close for my liking. The nature's a bit bad (Rash), but as long as it doesn't lower attack I'm fine. If it knew Leaf Storm too that'd be pretty cool, but as that's an egg move and yet another thing I'd have to breed for and hope I get a shiny for, I'm perfectly fine with things as they are. Also the name is super unoriginal but I was just so excited at getting one I had no clue what to name it, and just said the first thing that popped into my head. I'll probably change it later.

Very nice find. I'm planning on doing the same but since I'm working towards finishing my Pokedex I'll wait until I have the Shiny Charm. Is there a way to see if a wild Pokemon has its hidden ability? I realize with Fomantis all you have to do is wait for one whose stats go down when using Growth, but I'm wondering if there's other methods.

I'm really happy with Mimikyu. I knew I would get one going into this game because of its aesthetic, but it's good to know it's also kickass. Ghost/Fairy is such a great defensive typing with only Ghost and Steel as weaknesses, and it's got great offensive coverage as well. Mine only has Fairy and Ghost-type attacks, and I'm pretty sure the only Pokemon I can't do at least normal effectiveness with any given move are Litleo and Pyroar. Combined with free Swords Dance because of Disguise and a Life Orb, it's preeeetty good.

Also, friendly reminder that Mimikyu has its own theme song and its adorable.

I find it funny that Mimikyu's really adorable in the game, but in the anime it's out for funking blood.

I know Trace copies the enemy ability but I'm not sure if it keeps doing that for SOS battles or just stays with the ability of the original Pokemon. If it changes then that could be a neat way to tell. I was going to try and see if I could use GTS or Wonder Trade to get a Ralts for that, but ended up finding a Contrary Fomantis before that happened.

Also I keep hearing good things about Mimikyu. Can't wait till when I come across them myself so I can see that for myself. :)

Archived