Pokemon Sun & Moon

Tinkerer

• Replies 4.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah, I thought the same thing regarding that.

EDIT: Just beat Gladion on Mount Lanakila

Team:

- Shadow the Incineroar lv52

- Vui the Espeon lv52

- Batteryman A the Vikavolt lv52

- Mudslinger the Mudsdale lv52

- Ahsha the Lurantis lv51

- Boxer the Crabominable lv52

I think I might be underlevelled at this point.

You are a bit, yes. I was around there with my team by that point too. Had to grind a little before I was ready to battle the Elite 4, and even then I succeeded only by a hair (See my post a few pages back regarding pokemon affection.)

I was partially underleveled on half my team when I took on the E4 (know the lowest level I had was a level 49 Mudsdale against the 54-56 E4/Kukui). Other than that, I know I at least had some level 60s on team by then. 

But yeah, knowing that the Pokemon League (initial) is level 54-56; you should train up a bit. Granted, they won't go higher than level 63-65 postgame (latter if you fight Kukui during defense battles), but yeah. 

Welp, I got myself a Freeze-Dry Swinub, and bred it into my Snow Warning Vulpix, so it now has Moonblast and Freeze-Dry now. All I have left to do is wait for Bank to let me bring in my 6IV Ditto, then I can breed to max out its IVs.

I'd recommend breeding Encore onto it too. It has its uses and if you find later you want it it saves you the trouble of breeding a new one. Mostly because I'm insane, I try to breed any relevant egg moves onto my Pokemon.

And thus, I have finally completed the Alolan Pokedex. Even though this hasn't been the first time I've completed a Dex and that there were only 301 required Pokes, this actually seemed like a big accomplishment since it was a little hard getting things without relying too much on the Bank and doing this in a short time. 

Time to invest on Shiny Hunts and Masuda Method~

I'd recommend breeding Encore onto it too. It has its uses and if you find later you want it it saves you the trouble of breeding a new one. Mostly because I'm insane, I try to breed any relevant egg moves onto my Pokemon.

I'm going with a Nasty Plot Ninetales instead of an Encore one.

The Ninetales I use in Battle Spot Doubles:

Ninetales (holding Light Clay)

252 Sp.Atk/252 Speed/4 Sp.Def

Timid Nature

Aurora Veil

Blizzard/Moonblast

Freeze-Dry

Protect/Nasty Plot

The move after the slash are alternate moves I teach unto it but my Ninetales mostly functions as fast utility. Light Clay ensures long-lasting Aurora Veil, which protects my Eevee, Alolan-Marowak, and other mons from threats. Freeze-Dry cause funk Toxapex, Golisopod, Araquanid, Tapu Fini, and Gyarados. Blizzard is used to hit both mons and can be replaced with Moonblast for alt. attack options. Protect to scout moves and protect against my own Earthquake/Sparkling Aria or can be replaced with Nasty Plot since I can tank a hit with Veil and outspeed a lot of mons. 

Pair with a Water/Trap-Setter/Toxic user and the results payoff.

Most of my battles are probably going to be Battle Tree / Royale (only because I need BP for certain items [Mega Stones, Power items for EV training, some evolution stones]). Well, that and repeated Elite 4 fights for money, EXP and some other stuff. 

Can probably survive for now with the Pokes I have now, but come January, the imports will come and then I'm really going to get serious. (Need to tell self that the Gen 7 game has things that I didn't have to put up with in Gen 6, but should be fine.)

At least they still have the Lucarionite which I need, but yeah, rest of the stones are gone. 

No Mega Stones for Latias/Latios (although Anabel supposedly gets to use it; the hell), no Altarianite (if I wanted to wipe the NPC with the Altaria I named after Nai) and a bunch of other things I had bred in Gen 6 but will become pointless if transferred over here (or won't be as effective). Yeah, I guess Mega Rayquaza still exists, but can't use it for Tree. 

(Didn't see too many restrictions on Royal; can we use Ubers from other generations or that's locked up once the ranks go up. Didn't see it on Normal rank)

I'm going with a Nasty Plot Ninetales instead of an Encore one.

As I said, I'm insane so I'd personally do it anyway, this way if I ever wanted to switch to an Encore version I can since they both would be using the same build otherwise.

I'm needled that I bred a Beedrill to be used thanks to the Mega buff, and SuMo doesn't even have half the Mega Stones, including the Beedrillite.

This is honestly one of the more frustrating things with the Generation changes, not having all the tools you had in the previous game. Normally it's just the move tutor moves, but with Mega Stones being added to the list, it only increases the number of Pokemon that are screwed if you're only working with the Gen 7 games. This is important because the VGC rules limit it to the Gen 7 games. I get they want to have a large meta game swift that comes with the release of the second game, and this is likely the simplest way to do that, but I can't help but tilt off because of it.

Probably a lot of others here aren't happy that they cut out half the relevant Mega Stones either for this generation. Loss of Move Tutors is one thing, but Mega Stones, nope. (We got some of them, yes, but not all)

Beedrill, Lopunny, Mawile (don't think its Fairy typing alone will salvage it here), Pidgeot and some other stuff are going back to being screwed this generation because no more stones. Some stuff doesn't care though.

(In my case, don't mind losing Latiosite b/c I usually use Life Orb on him anyway; Latias can probably use a modified sweep set or traditional defensive stuff [still a bit pissed about Soul Dew's nerf]). I guess being a Lustrous/Adamant Orb clone isn't going to be too bad, but personally would've been fine with a lowered stat boosting. Dragon boost won't help against the amount of Fairies that exist nowadays and Psychic is going to be resisted a lot.

(right, and bye to being viable in Ubers now.) 

[spoiler=Best I could find for a suitable reaction]

annoyed_latias_by_laptopgun-d82s0fv.png

"Gamefreak, what the hell did you do to our Soul Dew?" - Latias

-----

I mean, I don't get WHY they couldn't add the stones. I mean yeah they can mystery gift them, but I don't see why we're limited to ONLY the stones for mons we find in Alola. Gamefreak knew full-well Bank would be a thing, so it's dumb that we don't have access to ALL of the stones, even though buying them likewise funking sucks. Gen 6: Go find them. Gen 7: Pay up jabroni!

Doesn't help that the Tree and Royale are far more evil than the Maison ever was.

The Tree being evil and otherwise having the perfect outs to your team is probably a reason why I'm holding back on any challenges until I get my IVs maximized or import my power 'mons in a month.

But yeah, Gamefreak screwed up this time around.

-----

As for that global mission, all of us who contributed to it are getting 200 FC; not 1000. Right now I'm checking, and total amount only came out to under 15.6 million.

I mean, I don't get WHY they couldn't add the stones. I mean yeah they can mystery gift them, but I don't see why we're limited to ONLY the stones for mons we find in Alola. Gamefreak knew full-well Bank would be a thing, so it's dumb that we don't have access to ALL of the stones, even though buying them likewise funking sucks. Gen 6: Go find them. Gen 7: Pay up jabroni!

Doesn't help that the Tree and Royale are far more evil than the Maison ever was.

As I said, the likely reason is the same for them not having the tutors in the first game, to allow a metagame shift when the second game(s) come out. That would also be the reason for them limiting it to Pokemon gotten in the Gen 7 games.

As for that global mission, all of us who contributed to it are getting 200 FC; not 1000. Right now I'm checking, and total amount only came out to under 15.6 million.

Jesus, we only got that many. I figured with how well the game sold we'd at least get in striking distance. Guess this goes to show how little most players actually look at this kind of stuff. 

They funked up with a lot of things in SuMo, to be honest.

Besides the Mega Stones and the SOS battles being way worse than hordes, what are the others screw ups?

You are a bit, yes. I was around there with my team by that point too. Had to grind a little before I was ready to battle the Elite 4, and even then I succeeded only by a hair (See my post a few pages back regarding pokemon affection.)

That'll teach me for turning my EXP Share off heading into Po Town. (and not using affection at all)

As I said, the likely reason is the same for them not having the tutors in the first game, to allow a metagame shift when the second game(s) come out. That would also be the reason for them limiting it to Pokemon gotten in the Gen 7 games.

Jesus, we only got that many. I figured with how well the game sold we'd at least get in striking distance. Guess this goes to show how little most players actually look at this kind of stuff. 

Besides the Mega Stones and the SOS battles being way worse than hordes, what are the others screw ups?

Well, there's the optimization being chunky as hell on anything other than single battles. The clearly rigged nature of the Royales to beyond bullshit cheating levels. The fact that the Exp.Share and Affection is mandatory to keep up with the AI without needing to grind excessively. The fact that Super Training is gone and thus you need to lucksack berries from ONE spot each day in order to reduce EVs until you can grow them in bulk yourself. The fact that they used a pointless graph to show EVs when they didn't even bother to add the NUMBERS for how many EVs you have. The fact that you either need to suffer SOS chaining for max EVs, or face a 15 3/4 hour wait in Poke Pelago IF you use beans to halve the time. Going back to scaling exp like in Gen 5 without even offering a decent cash cow exp mon like the Audinos were. The fact that you have to do ALL connection stuff via Festival Plaza instead of the seamless user interface Gen 6 used. The fact that every time you want to connect to the internet you need to do a Game Sync, thereby chewing up a lot of time. The fact that Poke Miles are useless in the game itself and to make them useful you need to Game Sync. The fact that you have to UNLOCK the IV Judge first.

Well, there's the optimization being chunky as hell on anything other than single battles. The clearly rigged nature of the Royales to beyond bullshit cheating levels. The fact that the Exp.Share and Affection is mandatory to keep up with the AI without needing to grind excessively. The fact that Super Training is gone and thus you need to lucksack berries from ONE spot each day in order to reduce EVs until you can grow them in bulk yourself. The fact that they used a pointless graph to show EVs when they didn't even bother to add the NUMBERS for how many EVs you have. The fact that you either need to suffer SOS chaining for max EVs, or face a 15 3/4 hour wait in Poke Pelago IF you use beans to halve the time. Going back to scaling exp like in Gen 5 without even offering a decent cash cow exp mon like the Audinos were. The fact that you have to do ALL connection stuff via Festival Plaza instead of the seamless user interface Gen 6 used. The fact that every time you want to connect to the internet you need to do a Game Sync, thereby chewing up a lot of time. The fact that Poke Miles are useless in the game itself and to make them useful you need to Game Sync. The fact that you have to UNLOCK the IV Judge first.

I agree with basically all of this. I don't necessarily blame the chugging frame rate for double battles since I feel like they maximized the hardware's potential with Sun and Moon and couldn't really figure out how to iron out that wrinkle. And the raised difficulty I actually found kind of welcoming; it's been a while since I felt challenged in the main campaign.

But yeah, EV training and trading online were miles better than our current options. I hope they fix these issues for Pokémon Stars if that comes out.

Okay, Monday I got Spheal on Route 7 via surfing if anyone wants to know where they are unless they found that out. And it knows Aqua Ring. So basically we have a regenerating wall, or a regenerating Walrein. Anyway, tomorrow is Luxio I think he's either in the jungle or route 8. My money is on Venipede being in Lush Jungle. BTW, did I forget to mention I'm Island scanning before I face off against Nihilego?

Also, I think because of their stats, the Ultra Beasts will be banned.

Come to think of it these guys could be the signature pokemon of the Dark Signers.

• Roman: Nihilego
  • Carly: Celesteele
  • Devack: Kartana
  • Misty: Pheromosa
  • Kalin: Guzzlord
  • Greiger: Buzzwole
  • Rex: Xurkitree

Archived