The Election Of A New Staff Member

Flame Dragon

If the team decides to bar being invisible, of corse I’ll comply.

The only reason I stay such is because I have a nervous habit of clicking profiles to head back to the front page instead of scrolling up, and I hate the last viewed function making me feel like a stalker.

• Replies 225
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Black should commit to staying visible like Giga and Cow did when they ran.

I didn't commit to anything. I just decided to not be anonymous anymore, and honestly the reasons were almost completely unrelated to this.

I agree that the staff should not be browsing the site anonymously, as it makes reaching them marginally harder, but don't paint me as a trend-setter.

As for the result, it is literally exactly what I expected. I'd said it a few times, I didn't think I'd win. Though I had the most support in the nomination thread, much of it was by people who supported many people, as a sort of "if not x, parenthesis works". And that's totally okay. I've gotten tons done as a member, so that's what I'm going to keep on doing. Having two friends (and arguably the two people from YCM I speak to most) as mods will just help things go smoother from here on out.

I have confidence in both of them. After myself, CowCow and Black were my second and third votes, respectively. I know both of them share my desire to improve the site in the ways it really needs right now, and I know they have the skills to push those things to happen.

Great job, guys, I can't wait to see where this goes.

People actually use the "Who's Online" status to find anyone for anything? I've just always sent messages whenever and didn't expect anything more than a reply when the person could. Why is this a deal at all?

That said, re: the election, I want to say this as a voter: It wasn't an easy choice. There were a lot of candidates I would have liked to see in the position, but only so many names I could put near the top. For me, my cut-off that went from "People I would like to see" to "People I don't want to see" was actually only around my 9th spot choice or so. There were some good nominations in that list, so, congratulations to the ones who won, and for those that didn't make the cut just remember: You were still a very good nomination, and it wasn't an easy pick at all.

I know it's over but just in case, this isn't for talk about incognito mode for mods. (private/invisible)

Will make sure it's discussed but yeah.

If anyone has any issues with how this was run now would be a good time to say it. (though perhaps a new topic wouldn't be remiss, actually) If anyone has any issues with myself, PM me please.

I know it's over but just in case, this isn't for talk about incognito mode for mods. (private/invisible)

Will make sure it's discussed but yeah.

If anyone has any issues with how this was run now would be a good time to say it. (though perhaps a new topic wouldn't be remiss, actually) If anyone has any issues with myself, PM me please.

I have a problem because I didn't win

Jk jk, I already congratulated above so I'm gonna take this chance instead to ask if mods are unable to hold their member title, or tamper with the Moderator one in any way.

It crossed my mind that Mooderator would be a fitting one.

I have a problem because I didn't win Jk jk, I already congratulated above so I'm gonna take this chance instead to ask if mods are unable to hold their member title, or tamper with the Moderator one in any way.It crossed my mind that Mooderator would be a fitting one.

It's definitely possible, black did it in the past.

If I remember correctly, it would just require having to move the staff logo to their member groups of choice and make sure they show up on the team list; their mod group would need to be set as a secondary so they can still do their jobs. 

(There's no button that says "put this group on the forum team page" without giving them powers, so we have to technically give that group some.)

But yeah, if CowCow or Black want S.S. Showdown or Performastar as their default groups, you can ask for it to be done. For the former, this does mean you cannot give it to other users until you resign and powers removed.

=====

Anyway, congrats to the winners. 

If anyone has any issues with how this was run now would be a good time to say it.

You're god damn right I do.

We only had 4 days to vote for this? funking "Best Waifu" tournaments in Polls get 2 weeks yet we closed this poll in one weekend? I've bought sheet off Amazon before this poll came up and I still don't have it, and you have the funking nerve to close after 4 days? Get out.

We only had 4 days to vote for this? funking "Best Waifu" tournaments in Polls get 2 weeks yet we closed this poll in one weekend? I've bought sheet off Amazon before this poll came up and I still don't have it, and you have the funking nerve to close after 4 days? Get out.

I apologize for that, I did wonder about it, but from what I could tell not many more people seemed to be wanting to vote. From the statuses and such it appeared that not many votes were going to come in after what was put in.

Looking at who voted it looks like it was many of the more active members.

I believe Flame set an end date for the nominations and that was to make sure people knew that the election was coming up so be sure to check in. That kind of deal.

But I'm sorry that you didn't get to vote. Is there others who feel similar to this? Who would've been able to vote if there was more time. If there's a large enough number then it would have been a bit early. As of now I can't say it was a mistake entirely for one vote, no offense intended, but as of now unsure if a few extra days would have caused much a difference.

How many days do you think would have been good, though? I'd like to make sure that if there's ever another one of these we get it right. This stuff is kinda...unusual and newish.

Your complaint is more than reasonable, especially considering your position.  It's a lot to ask, but do me a favor and keep it civil.  I'm not asking you not to be angry.  I'm asking you to give Cow the due diligence you were given.

I can tell you this:

• The election was my idea.
  • The set-up was partially my idea and then put into action by Zai.
  • The voting process, dates, and times were finalized by Flame but were a group discussion.
  • We all agreed that this went by way too fast, likely due to both our own and members anticipation.

Hilarious, but four days is plenty of time for active members to vote. One day determines the leader of the free world.  

Your complaint is more than reasonable, especially considering your position.  It's a lot to ask, but do me a favor and keep it civil.  I'm not asking you not to be angry.  I'm asking you to give Cow the due diligence you were given.

I can tell you this:

• The election was my idea.
  • The set-up was partially my idea and then put into action by Zai.
  • The voting process, dates, and times were finalized by Flame but were a group discussion.
  • We all agreed that this went by way too fast, likely due to both our own and members anticipation.

I apologize for that, I did wonder about it, but from what I could tell not many more people seemed to be wanting to vote. From the statuses and such it appeared that not many votes were going to come in after what was put in.

Looking at who voted it looks like it was many of the more active members.

I believe Flame set an end date for the nominations and that was to make sure people knew that the election was coming up so be sure to check in. That kind of deal.

But I'm sorry that you didn't get to vote. Is there others who feel similar to this? Who would've been able to vote if there was more time. If there's a large enough number then it would have been a bit early. As of now I can't say it was a mistake entirely for one vote, no offense intended, but as of now unsure if a few extra days would have caused much a difference.

How many days do you think would have been good, though? I'd like to make sure that if there's ever another one of these we get it right. This stuff is kinda...unusual and newish.

I don't think the mod team is at any fault here. Let's look at how this went down

(1) Dad had an idea that the userbase has wanted for a long time

(2) Dad and Zai put the idea into action

(3) Userbase spends about a week deliberating choices and letting people get their ideal candidates into running

(4) Mods then give four days to vote on the top 10

As polaris noted elections in IRL get done in less than a day, 4 days is longer than that.

At no point did Pika get involved in this deliberation. You (Pika) did not post even in the thread discussing choices. You had plenty of time to give you input because they basically had a run off that lasted for more than a week*. You did not

(certainly more than the 4 days you tries to strawman here)

I'm all for calling out the mod team when they funk up, and they do a lot. But they handled this about as well as anyone could

I appreciate the support (seriously I do, tbh expected to be dogpiled or something) just posting to make sure this doesn't get out of hand. Discussion is fine, and no one said anything too far out of line as of now, I'm just paranoid.

Also want to be sure Pika doesn't think their opinion is being ignored/brushed under the rug just cause it's being disagreed with.

I don't think she has any right to complain. She had every opportunity to get involved in some phase of the election. She did not.

This is like bemoaning the end result of the General when you didn't care enough to get involved during the primary.

Please don't say that she doesn't have any right to complain. Cow is trying to reassure Pika that her concerns are heard and addressed, and comments like these only hurt the discussion.

Please don't say that she doesn't have any right to complain. Cow is trying to reassure Pika that her concerns are heard and addressed, and comments like these only hurt the discussion.

Pika had her chance to get involved. She didn't take it.

She had every opportunity to air her concerns and I don't recall her doing so

Everyone has a right to complain. Just because the election is over doesn't mean everyone has to suck it up and get over it. That's precisely what we don't want.

If Pika is unhappy with the results, she can complain and we'll address it to the best of our abilities.

Everyone has a right to complain. Just because the election is over doesn't mean everyone has to suck it up and get over it. That's precisely what we don't want.

If Pika is unhappy with the results, she can complain and we'll address it to the best of our abilities.

She had the same chance as everyone else to tilt the election to her liking. My top choice didn't win either, but the idea behind democracy is (1) you get to participate, pika chose not to (2) it's not an autocracy. You choice alone doesn't dictate the result

There was no voter supeession. It seems hypocritical for someone who couldn't be bothered to even vote in the first round to start jabroniing about the second round only being 4 days long

She has the right to complain, but his point against her complaint isn't invalid either. The way Winter said it may or may not give the wrong message, but disagreeing with her point is perfectly fine. Wait for her reply to this and then decide whether her complaint of four days(plus a week or so of prep) being too short is sufficient enough to rethink the election that just happened. Future elections will naturally take that into consideration so there's no point bringing that up again.

The election results will not change. What will happen, is that future elections can be influenced and better handled for the sake of every member.

Unless there was a sudden uprising against Cow, the results aren't going to change. Let Pika speak.

As much as I understand how Pika feels, running this auction again will only make the whole last 2 weeks a collasal waste of time.

This actually reminds me of Brexit with people wanting a rerun. 

Cow and Black earnt their spots fair and square and i'm not saying that because I voted. for the two of them

As much as I understand how Pika feels, running this auction again will only make the whole last 2 weeks a collasal waste of time.

This actually reminds me of Brexit with people wanting a rerun.

Cow and Black earnt their spots fair and square and i'm not saying that because I voted. for the two of them

It's not going to be run again. So can everyone please stop assuming it will?

This is one complaint that needs to be heard. That's it.

Archived