Archetype Generator Meta

Draconus297

Here's a few from ~50 pages back:

Glacier Beast

A group of Aqua-Type monsters, made up of ice statues of animals. Every archetype member can float into another Glacier Beast in your hand on destruction, which makes baiting your opponent a major strategy. Uniting all Glacier Beasts is their DEF always being exactly 300 higher than their ATK, but some of them are still good beatsticks anyway. They are exclusively Level 3 Tuners and Level 4 non-Tuners, naturally with Synchro 7 and 11 bosses. However, they also have archetype-restricted equivalents to Lavalval Chain, Daigusto Emeral, and King of the Feral Imps in a limited pool of Rank 3 and 4 Xyz. Why Grave dumping? Because, if you already control a Glacier Beast, most members can SS themselves or others from the Graveyard.

In other words, they're their own toolbox, that are designed to outlast the opponent, and take advantage of moments of weakness.

Sphinct

A WATER archetype all about cutting off options. Each one locks both players out of doing something specific, be it drawing, banishing, attacking, destroying, Summoning, activating a certain kind of effect, etc. The fun part? If your field is entirely full of "Sphinct" monsters, your opponent gets the option to cut their Deck and ED to 1 each to clear your field. Essentially, they get 1 turn to win or lose if you fill your field with "Sphinct" monsters . . . and help them if you got Necro Gardna or something in your Graveyard earlier.

You want fusion monsters? Too bad! Ocean Chimeras are WATER Beast-Types that love tributing, but not tribute summoning. Their main strategy is to swarm the field, then tribute all but one to get off powerful effects and buffs, with the exact power level proportional to the number of monsters tributed. They have a variety of spells and traps to help with the swarming, including grave revival and token generation, but they have ninjitsu art syndrome, aka they stay on the field after their one time effs go off. Oh yeah, extra deck is pretty weird too, since they have synchros but no tuners. Have fun with that.

Glacier Beast might have some pics maybe.

• Replies 4.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm going to mention that designing stuff will be easier on you if you don't FORCE yourself to find images, but art's your thing so...

(I like finding images too, but if Google isn't giving any suitable ones and/or I don't have time to make them in GIMP, yeah whatever)

Mekk-marinas are a class of WATER Aqua monsters that are themed on aquatic life, such as dolphins, whales, sharks, manta rays, octopuses, etc. Similar to their counterparts in Crawlers, Jack Knights and so forth, they focus on Link Summoning and tie into the "World Legacy" archetype with an honorary member. Their Main Deck is mostly low Levels so you can make a reasonably nice board and are very straightforward in playing in the early game.

This is a WATER archetype, but due to the World Legacy thing and the fact I wrote Link Summoning in there (which I am aware that half of you adamantly dislike), yeah. Will probably do this later outside.

Also obligatory reminder that most of the member base has moved on to standard design (and yeah, Link/VRAINS oriented sheet, despite a handful of their designs to be better suited for Legacy). So yeah, make sure you keep tagging them or else people will grade them under current standards. 

Waterlily

This WATER Plant-Type archetype is what happens when you take the strategy behind the old battle floaters and spread it around en masse.

Most of the archetype is Level 3 and lower monsters that float if they get destroyed by battle or card effects, meaning that you can quickly cycle through most of your Deck if your opponent is a silly person who runs King Tiger Wanghu. However, each one can multi-float like Nimble Momonga or Giant Germ, and/or carries a secondary effect, like recouping your resources, burning your opponent, or even healing off some bad damage.

Aside from a few Tribute Summonable monsters who help your archetype trigger, taking inspiration from True Kings, Fire Kings, and so on, most of their focus is in trying to put proper Levels on board for a Synchro Summon. They've got quite a few different Synchros, all of which help mitigate the minus you're going into- expect effects like Sphreeze and Coffin Seller on legs, plus a few other necessary things.

You can make a few different Xyz Ranks, too, so really the way you run Waterlilies is up to you.

Nyx gave name; Draco wrote this prompt.

I'm going to mention that designing stuff will be easier on you if you don't FORCE yourself to find images, but art's your thing so...

(I like finding images too, but if Google isn't giving any suitable ones and/or I don't have time to make them in GIMP, yeah whatever)

This is a WATER archetype, but due to the World Legacy thing and the fact I wrote Link Summoning in there (which I am aware that half of you adamantly dislike), yeah. Will probably do this later outside.

Also obligatory reminder that most of the member base has moved on to standard design (and yeah, Link/VRAINS oriented s***, despite a handful of their designs to be better suited for Legacy). So yeah, make sure you keep tagging them or else people will grade them under current standards. 

Nyx gave name; Draco wrote this prompt.

Yep. I strictly stay on images.

And yeah, I've got to remember to tag the AGM stuff as Legacy. Rest of the stuff is fine I guess to be graded based on Link era. Like my Heir of Fire/Lord of Cinder and Crusade Priestess sets.

I think I can handle Waterlily. Thank you.

I've given up on Tygrr, if anyone wants it. I had thought it would be simple, since I'd already done an effect-granting archetype in Wilonka, but that experience is exactly why I can't do them: I spent the entire time going "this is a Wilonka card, but better/worse", and I don't like cats/catgirls enough to do an entire archetype based around them, even if I liked the concept of giving non-Effect Fusions effects while still treating them as non-Effect monsters (giving them an immunity to Fiendish Chain and the like).

I'm thinking of starting Paraphys, bevause we just don't have enough Wyrms in general, which is why I'm also taking this opportunity to suggest Yang Zings.

Paraphys

It's basically the DARK counterpart of Metaphys: DARK, Wyrm transformations of legendary monsters. However, while Metaphys, or "Metaphyzation" is reserved for creatures (Dragons, Sea Serpents, Winged Beasts, etc.), Paraphys only affect humans and anthropomorphic Fairy, Fiend, Spellcaster and Warrior monsters, namely Dark Blade, Grepher, Gearfried, Gilford, Mefist the general, Hyperion, Parshath, Voltanis, Zerato, etc. Just picture these warriors, devils and angels turning into majestic, but DARK, Wyrms.

Like Metaphys, Paraphys also rely on banishment and have floating effects in some way when they are banished; unlike Metaphys however, they trade weaker on-field effects (they don't mass-banish like Metaphys Daedalus and Nephthys do) for faster on-banish floating effects, in that they don't have to wait for the next Standby Phase to activate; in other words, they trade power for speed. Thus, they benefit from cards like Allure of Darkness.

Anyone end up doing Ytrium? It's been in my GDrive for ages, and it just needs an update or two before posting. If someone else hasn't taken it from where I abandoned it, still happy to finish it.

Any other Wyrm archetypes up for grabs afterwards? I haven't made a single Wyrm card iirc.

Emberwurm

Archetype of FIRE Wyrm Tuners whose main gimmick is floating when they are sent to the grave by a card effect. However, rather than a self-sufficient archetype, they are more designed to be adapted as engines in other decks that can make use of their floating effects; for instance, using them as fodder for Ritual or Fusion Summons, or tech them in milling decks. For this reason, their float effects can be rather generic, like a Wulf-like self-revival effect, for example. Still, one may give a try at building a mostly-Emberwurm deck by mix & matching them with other engines or cards, namely Invokeds and the FIRE True Kings, and since they are all Tuners, even if they lack an archetype boss, they can access Synchros.

Moreover, their on-field effects, as well as some of the float effects, revolve more around support for either FIRE Wyrms, or Wyrm Tuners, further emphasising their engine theme.

I'll take these once Ytrium is up. An Engine/non-archetype sounds fun.

Hey Dov! How's it going?

Hey Tink! Really good actually. Just finished my school finals, so hopefully moving onto Uni next year. In the break between, I hope to be more active here, get back to reviewing, and continue contributing to the AGM!

Has anything around here changed much since?

Hey Tink! Really good actually. Just finished my school finals, so hopefully moving onto Uni next year. In the break between, I hope to be more active here, get back to reviewing, and continue contributing to the AGM!

Has anything around here changed much since?

Some members quit; a few new ones like Eshai and Kyumi have joined and a few other things pertaining to additions (both DM legacy and a few choice ones to fill in Type gaps).

Also CC moving on to standard format, and the bulk of the LEGACY tag users being in this club. 

Hey Dova. I've kinda been filling in for reviews (I requested to be a reviewer a long time ago but you weren't around so Sakura kinda just gave me the go ahead). If there's anything you want me to review in particular I'll give it a look.

Also wanted to know what you guys think of this card. Tinkerer gave me a couple pointers but this is pretty important since I'm thinking of making an archetype.

The Forbidden Spell

Spell - Normal

Banish all Spell Cards from your GY. If you banished 20 or more Spell Cards with different names, you win the duel. Your opponent cannot activate card effects in response to this activation if you banished 30 or more Spell Cards with different names. You cannot activate other Spell Cards the turn you activate this effect.

Win the Duel effects are tricky, because you never want them to be too easy to abuse. Making it reliant on running a crapload of different Spells means that it's inevitably going to find a way to be abused by some kind of milling Deck, although to be fair 20 different Spells is very, very difficult. Danger, Will Robinson.

Anyway, Paraphys are up. I might make more, but they exist.

https://forum.yugiohcardmaker.net/topic/368152-agm-written-paraphys-wyrm-corruption/

Oh yeah, one more thing- there is now a drive for Legacy threads, in case an archetype doesn't have what it needs to function. I've just given everybody everything, Tinkerer just got back but you know that he's been doing support for AGM-created archetypes one card at a time, and Nyx has been sticking primarily to things they know.

Also also, I've been wanting someone to expand upon my silly one-off series in Generics (Rail Cannon Delinquent needs some new ammo, Dragonna-bugeisha is basically "how many anime cards can I cram together until I get something worth playing", and Armodia is the single most ridiculous concept I've ever drafted), but I've had no luck.

So, yeah, a lot of the same. I try to do fun things, they don't get done by anyone but me, I mope and try something new.

To be fair, no one's requested a review for a very long time. The queue is essentially empty for all intents and purposes. 

IDK, dealing with Spellbook AI spam wasn't funny, though I think they had copies of stuff so... I guess this is why we have Lawnmowing and stuff now, but yeah, it's on the gimmicky side (with the triggers). I don't know how often it'll be pulled off, but Lawnmowing just dumps 20 into the GY, and yeah, open hand in highlander decks = win. 

Thanks for filling in! I'm still considering what to do with the review thread, as I'm unsure if it's the best way to approach things.

The Forbidden Spell

Spell - Normal

Banish all Spell Cards from your GY. If you banished 20 or more Spell Cards with different names, you win the duel. Your opponent cannot activate card effects in response to this activation if you banished 30 or more Spell Cards with different names. You cannot activate other Spell Cards the turn you activate this effect.

Alternate win conditions, what fun. Reasoning and Monster Gate come to mind, but this really hasn't been effective at all in the YGOPro tests that I have run. It's really gimmicky (what win conditions aren't) but by removing the cannot activate other spell cards, you are giving your opponent an ample chance to finish you off. And if you manage to set up a defense to keep you alive, then chances are that the deck isn't "consistent" enough to get you those Spells in your GY first. I don't know how to make this work.

Lawnmowing is great and all, but you need to open it and this card to win. Or at the least, in the versions I have been running, one of the two and Left Arm Offering. Not consistent, but memey.

Let's just say the bulk of the multiples nowadays are coming out of Zero, Zazu, some of the guys from DPR and yeah. I know the former two don't bother to request reviews. 

(Or hell, everyone who signed up to be a reviewer, sans me, went AWOL)

But yeah, I cannot find a way to make that card work, unless you play Lawnmowing or something, and that's very situational.

Well, then what's a card without its archetype?

I'm planning on making an archetype of "can only activate 1 "" per duel" Spells and Traps, and then making it so Forbidden Spell can banish archetype cards as well as an option rather than being required like the first effect (where it forces you to banish all of them). It'll probably have milling banishing, return cards from banish to GY, GY effects that ignore the once per duel clause (hey a gimmick), etc.

I'm wondering though. If it was "Forbidden Trap" would it be better or worse you think?

Hello there Dova! I'm the other new member here, and I've heard a bit about you. I do occasionally review things, but I prefer making cards more (although I haven't done that lately either...). 

=====

Anyway, as for your card Eshai, I personally don't like the card as a single. I hardly ever run more than 15 spells in my decks, and it wouldn't work well there. But, like Sakura said, if this is based on an archetype, it would have a better use. Guess we have to wait on the archetype before we can decide...

=====

On an entirely different note, are there any cool Fish archetypes I could work on? I've never played around with those guys, and I want to start.

Nice to meet you! As for potential Fish archetypes, these looked interesting:

Mersel

Think SPYRAL meets Sharks, and you're halfway there.

This WATER Fish archetype takes heavy inspiration from modern suspense/stealth thrillers, like Mission Impossible or Metal Gear Solid. In it, merpeople use sneaky, sneaky stealth tactics to figure of what your opponent has going on, and build their field presence accordingly. Generally speaking, they like making Ranks 3, 4, and 5, and their Xyz actually use the information you obtained when bringing out your Main Deck lineup- one of their Xyz, for example, lets you draw a card once per turn if you remember the name of the top card of your opponent's Deck.

Their plays, however, are generally more on the defensive side, because while their Main Deck has decent stats for their respective Levels, most of their Xyz aren't great in this regard (compared to most other Xyz of their Rank, at least). Generally, their primary focus once they've got the information to make their plays is simple, kinda decent removal effects, and once your opponent is significantly crippled you just poke at them.

Also, it'll probably get run due to the hilarity factor of seeing a frickin' mermaid wearing night vision goggles as your primary playmaker.

Techno Aquarium

A series of monsters designed to help the soulful type-attribute combination of EARTH Fish.

Just like all the other members of this type-attribute combo, all the members of this group have 0 DEF and tend to have effects that use this to your advantage, giving you benefits if you control the monster on the field with the lowest DEF. On the whole, these are heavily battle focused with a good deal of floating and some stun and floodgatey effects. They are pretty good all-rounders and can be played in a variety of ways.

Windy

Valuta

This LIGHT Fish-Type archetype makes things go pretty crazy very fast, using effects you wouldn't expect much from.

Most Valuta monsters take after really good monsters from times past, a montage of "remember when a card with a similar effect was meta-defining, or the best part of a bad archetype?" However, they do it with an absolute minimum of generic support, because there is very little that works for their combination of Type and Attribute. Their backrow generally follows a similar trend, and their ED is crammed full of fun options and techs- Xyz at several Ranks and degrees of genericness, Synchros at varying Levels . . .

The only issue is actually getting started, because, you see, by being an homage to cards and archetypes that used to be amazing, they have a lot of the same weaknesses as older Decks, like a reliance on good opening hands or a degree of setup.

Still, with the right opening, Valuta can compete with, and even surpass, modern Decks simply because of how accessible and potentially complex their combos can be.

Urmagidden (intentionally misspelled "Armageddon")

Hello there Dova! I'm the other new member here, and I've heard a bit about you. I do occasionally review things, but I prefer making cards more (although I haven't done that lately either...). 

=====

Anyway, as for your card Eshai, I personally don't like the card as a single. I hardly ever run more than 15 spells in my decks, and it wouldn't work well there. But, like Sakura said, if this is based on an archetype, it would have a better use. Guess we have to wait on the archetype before we can decide...

=====

On an entirely different note, are there any cool Fish archetypes I could work on? I've never played around with those guys, and I want to start.

It's a card you're supposed to make a Deck around, so that shouldn't be a concern. However, you could use the card in banish Decks with Soul Absorption if you really wanted to.

I mean, because you made it pre-AGM, I'll have to toss it in the "Outside Archetypes" section, but by all means.

I just realized that I forgot to do an overview on AGM WATER archetypes for the monthly Challenge, so, uh . . . Yuki Onna, Space Mermaids, Shivergami, Arachne Pirates, Firefighter Dragons, about half the Moltanics . . . yeah, we're not exactly swimming in WATER archetypes, although we have a lot of generic stuff.

I mean, because you made it pre-AGM, I'll have to toss it in the "Outside Archetypes" section, but by all means.

I just realized that I forgot to do an overview on AGM WATER archetypes for the monthly Challenge, so, uh . . . Yuki Onna, Space Mermaids, Shivergami, Arachne Pirates, Firefighter Dragons, about half the Moltanics . . . yeah, we're not exactly swimming in WATER archetypes, although we have a lot of generic stuff.

I'll probably deal with Space Mermaids instead, then.

EDIT: How do their Synchro Summoning effects work? "During your Main Phase: You can Synchro Summon 1 "Space Mermaid" monster using this banished card by returning it to the Graveyard." It seems to activate, so it's not a simple substitution while banished, but where do the other Materials come from?

Archived