Yu-Gi-Oh! Rulings Questions

• Replies 16.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Question on Forbidden Scripture:

Does it also negates "lingering effects" applying on the monsters? That is, effects that affect the monster but already resolved at whatever point during the duel. For example, a monster whose Level was changed by Galaxy Queen's Light. I cannot mention an ATK/DEF modifying effect as example (e.g. Rush Recklessly) because the other effect of Scripture "resets" ATK/DEF anyway.

Since it states it "negates all other card effects on the field" I'm not sure if that covers said lingering effects too. If it said something like "negate the effects of all other cards on the field" instead then I would find it more clear.

Does it also negates "lingering effects" applying on the monsters? That is, effects that affect the monster but already resolved at whatever point during the duel. For example, a monster whose Level was changed by Galaxy Queen's Light. I cannot mention an ATK/DEF modifying effect as example (e.g. Rush Recklessly) because the other effect of Scripture "resets" ATK/DEF anyway.

Since it states it "negates all other card effects on the field" I'm not sure if that covers said lingering effects too. If it said something like "negate the effects of all other cards on the field" instead then I would find it more clear.

Lingering Effects cannot be negated only already applied, so it wouldn't do that. I'm sure there are some weird exceptions, but in your example I am confident that it would not negate it.

Well, that's still an assumption. Is there a way to confirm? Perhaps another case, ruling, etc. as precedence. The only other card I found with such effect is Gravekeeper's Heretic. Anybody knows what happens to him if you use, let's say, Rush Recklessly on it and activate Necrovalley afterwards?

Them being released or not doesn't change the question lol. We have the text

Cards that don't exist don't have text.

Image proxies on the Konami blog do not reflect cards that exist, and they are subject to change at any time.

Judges do not answer questions on unreleased cards, nor should they answer questions on hypothetical cards or scenarios. Hypothetical in this context meaning cannot be reproduced in the actual game.

The monster's Level remains the same.

The effect of Galaxy Queen's Light isn't on the field when Scripture resolves; it has long resolved.

Well, that's still an assumption. Is there a way to confirm? Perhaps another case, ruling, etc. as precedence. The only other card I found with such effect is Gravekeeper's Heretic. Anybody knows what happens to him if you use, let's say, Rush Recklessly on it and activate Necrovalley afterwards?

Heretic's ATK remains the same.

There are more cards relating to these kinds of scenarios that might interest you: Number 17: Leviathan Dragon, Dark Rebellion Xyz Dragon, True King of All Calamities, and Fiendish Chain.

Are you familiar with how they work regarding cards later having their effects negated or becoming unaffected by card effects?

Are you familiar with how they work regarding cards later having their effects negated or becoming unaffected by card effects?

I am. It's just that the wording of Scripture and Heretic of "negates all other card effects on the field", as opposed to, let's say, "negate the effects of all other cards on the field" made me wonder if it is more unique since, in a way, a lingering effect could be seen as a card effect left on the field. Not exactly the same case, but IIRC Lose 1 Turn had to be erratad because of a conflict like this: it was negating the effects of monsters that were Special Summoned, but not on the field anymore.

Cards that don't exist don't have text.

Image proxies on the Konami blog do not reflect cards that exist, and they are subject to change at any time.

Judges do not answer questions on unreleased cards, nor should they answer questions on hypothetical cards or scenarios. Hypothetical in this context meaning cannot be reproduced in the actual game.

I'm just gonna assume somebody is asking about certain interactions because even if they card is not released in cardboard it sure is being played online. If it's possible to help them with an interaction they had at the time, regardless if it's going to work the same once the card is out I'm going to answer the question lol.

As a judge I always thought that line of thought is retarded, because it is. If the card text changes then so does my ruling 

I am. It's just that the wording of Scripture and Heretic of "negates all other card effects on the field", as opposed to, let's say, "negate the effects of all other cards on the field" made me wonder if it is more unique since, in a way, a lingering effect could be seen as a card effect left on the field. Not exactly the same case, but IIRC Lose 1 Turn had to be erratad because of a conflict like this: it was negating the effects of monsters that were Special Summoned, but not on the field anymore.

The fiasco with Lose 1 Turn was that it worked more like Effect Veiler and Royal Decree rather than Skill Drain. It now clearly works like Skill Drain.

Veiler negates the monster's effects on the field. If the monster activates its effect on the field, but leaves the field before the effect resolves, the effect still gets negated because the effect is on the field.

Decree negates Trap effects on the field. If a Trap Card activates its effect on the field, but leaves the field before the effect resolves, the effect still gets negated because the effect is on the field.

Skill Drain negates the effects of monsters while those monsters are face-up on the field. If a monster activates its effect on the field, and leaves the field before the effect resolves, the effect doesn't get negated because the monster isn't face-up on the field.

Rush Recklessly's effect activates/resolves on the field, then it's gone. There is no such thing as a "lingering effect".

I'm just gonna assume somebody is asking about certain interactions because even if they card is not released in cardboard it sure is being played online. If it's possible to help them with an interaction they had at the time, regardless if it's going to work the same once the card is out I'm going to answer the question lol.

As a judge I always thought that line of thought is retarded, because it is. If the card text changes then so does my ruling

This is a non-issue when you should be teaching mechanics rather than specific card interactions in the first place.

Every hypothetical scenario that you can draw a correct conclusion from has associated mechanics that can be taught so that a player can come to the same conclusion on their own and use that knowledge to solve other similar interactions.

You should be familiar with how often a player asks a question about a scenario, for you to tell them the answer, and for them to come back minutes later to ask you about the same scenario, only with different cards?

Knowing how to ask a good question is a skill. If a player doesn't ask a good question, you can lead them to a question that better tackles the mechanic that they're really asking about. You can give them information about the mechanic they're really asking about without addressing their misdirected question at all.

Cards not existing didn't stop me from tackling the core mechanics at hand regarding effects activated in the hand, Skill Drain, and negation.

And if you can't draw a conclusion that you know to be correct from a hypothetical scenario, perhaps because unprecedented mechanics are involved, you shouldn't be answering it.

If you can guess at how a hypothetical card would work "from its text," you are applying knowledge about mechanics that can be taught. In that case, teach those mechanics, not the hypothetical scenario involving a hypothetical card. You should be doing that anyway.

The fiasco with Lose 1 Turn was that it worked more like Effect Veiler and Royal Decree rather than Skill Drain. It now clearly works like Skill Drain.

Veiler negates the monster's effects on the field. If the monster activates its effect on the field, but leaves the field before the effect resolves, the effect still gets negated because the effect is on the field.

Decree negates Trap effects on the field. If a Trap Card activates its effect on the field, but leaves the field before the effect resolves, the effect still gets negated because the effect is on the field.

Skill Drain negates the effects of monsters while those monsters are face-up on the field. If a monster activates its effect on the field, and leaves the field before the effect resolves, the effect doesn't get negated because the monster isn't face-up on the field.

Rush Recklessly's effect activates/resolves on the field, then it's gone. There is no such thing as a "lingering effect".

I see. It makes more sense to me if I see Scripture as a Royal Decree for every card type.

If I Tribute Summon Zaborg the Mega Monarch by using 1 Light and 1 non-Light monster, do I get the additional aspect of getting to choose the cards my opponent has to send from their Extra Deck ?

(The clause does not mean it can only apply if it is Tribute Summoned using exactly 1 Light monster, right ?)

If I Tribute Summon Zaborg the Mega Monarch by using 1 Light and 1 non-Light monster, do I get the additional aspect of getting to choose the cards my opponent has to send from their Extra Deck ?

(The clause does not mean it can only apply if it is Tribute Summoned using exactly 1 Light monster, right ?)

If it was Tribute Summoned by Tributing 1 LIGHT and 1 non-LIGHT monster, or 2 LIGHT monsters, it was still Tribute Summoned by Tributing a LIGHT monster.

Only "1" or "one" means 1 or one.

If Ojamagic is sent to the GY as the cost for Ojamatch, does Ojamagic trigger first? For example, since I sent Ojamagic, I can added Ojamas Green, Yellow, and Black to my hand, and after that, Ojamatch adds Ojama Red (And an Armed Dragon) to my hand. Then, could I choose to Normal Summon Ojama Red, and due to its effect, add the three Ojamas I just got from Ojamagic?

If Ojamagic is sent to the GY as the cost for Ojamatch, does Ojamagic trigger first? For example, since I sent Ojamagic, I can added Ojamas Green, Yellow, and Black to my hand, and after that, Ojamatch adds Ojama Red (And an Armed Dragon) to my hand. Then, could I choose to Normal Summon Ojama Red, and due to its effect, add the three Ojamas I just got from Ojamagic?

No, that's now how Trigger Effects works, it activates after the current Chain is finished, you may not interrupt a chain like this.

It wouldn't be "interrupting the Chain" any more than Chaining Dark Bribe to Ojamatch would be. Ojamagic simply lacks the Spell Speed to be Chained to cards or effects (except when multiple triggered effects would be activated at the same time).

Being unable to "interrupt a Chain" generally refers to being unable to activate cards or effects while a Chain is resolving, but no Chain is resolving when Ojamatch has just been activated in this case.

After Ojamatch resolves, multiple triggered effects get to be activated in the next Chain:
• Ojamagic's effect, since Ojamagic was from the hand or field to the Graveyard.

• Red's effect, since Red was Normal Summoned. Note that you can't activate it if you don't have an Ojama monster in your hand though.

APFS0Yy.png

(Page 50 of the rulebook.)

Since Ojamagic's effect is mandatory, it has to be Chain Link 1 in this case, and Red's Chain Link 2 if you're able to activate it. Chain Link 2 resolves and you Special Summon, then Chain Link 1 resolves and you add.

Had Ojamagic's effect been optional, you would have been able to order the Chain Links as you wished.

Unless specified, drawing/destroying/99% of actions that aren't normally part of costs can be assumed to not be costs, with old cards that do not have PSCT. Even in the old card, the wording "Tribute this card to..." indicates that everything after that can be considered the effect.

A modernized version of the effect would read (not 100% sure on the card grammar but the point is the semicolon differentiating the cost from effect):

You can Tribute this card; draw 1 card and reveal it, then, if that card is a Level 1 monster, draw 1 additional card.

I have 2 questions:

1 - When the monster has an effect that cannot be destroyed by card effect, does this mean monster effect or any effect?

2 - About Ojama King's effect, it doesn't allow the other player to use 3 monster zones, what happen when Ojama King leave the field, would the zone can now be used? Note: this is different to Zany Zebra's effect since Zany's effect states "as long as this is faced up on the field".

I have 2 questions:

1 - When the monster has an effect that cannot be destroyed by card effect, does this mean monster effect or any effect?

2 - About Ojama King's effect, it doesn't allow the other player to use 3 monster zones, what happen when Ojama King leave the field, would the zone can now be used? Note: this is different to Zany Zebra's effect since Zany's effect states "as long as this is faced up on the field".

1. Any effect

2. The zones will be available. It's a continuous effect so it disappears if he is no longer face up on field.

Do Monsters with continous effect have to activate that effect when they are summoned? (Jinzo for example)

Unless an effect is preceded by a colon (:) or semi-colon (;), it is not an activated effect. Jinzo's effect is automatically in effect the moment he hits the field without an activation required.

Can Ash Blossom & Joyous Spring be activated against an effect that can special summon from the deck or some where else like the hand or GY? eg: http://yugioh.wikia.com/wiki/Skilled_Dark_Magician or any of the other skilled magicians http://yugioh.wikia.com/wiki/Skilled_Magician for that matter

edit: Sorry for the double post

Archived